Shane McCarthy Talks 'All Hail Megatron'

Shane McCarthy Talks 'All Hail Megatron'

Saturday, January 17th, 2009 8:03am CST

Categories: Comic Book News, People News
Posted by: Tigertrack   Views: 20,375

Transformers fan site OneShallStand.com has a recent interview with Shane McCarthy posted.

In the interview McCarthy defends his comic series to his critics, and discusses characters, as well as some choices he's made.

Q4) AHM is now a quarter of the way through and it's clear from postings on the various message boards that readers either love the new direction or are furious about it. I can't think of any other TF book I've read recently which has had such a polarising effect.

Well, since I was so late getting this interview to you, it's now halfway through so I'm guessing it's even more polarised now? I don't know. I think we've definitely found our audience though which is great. Not everyone is going to like everything and I hope that never changes. I think that's the beauty of how IDW is handling the license though, there's something there for everyone. If you're not a fan of AHM, there's the Spotlights and other mini series' you can grab and vice versa.

Clearly I'm hoping people enjoy the book though and always work to make that a reality.

You can read the rest of the interview here, and join in the discussion.

Credit(s): Steve Bax, OneShallStand.com

Re: Shane McCarthy Talks 'All Hail Megatron' (868509)
Posted by grimlockprime108 on January 17th, 2009 @ 8:19am CST
AHM is a fair title but it has taken til the half way point to get any kind of steam.i think matt moylan summed it up best:

http://www.lilformers.com/index.php/200 ... -megatron/
Re: Shane McCarthy Talks 'All Hail Megatron' (868637)
Posted by Starscream6 on January 17th, 2009 @ 12:18pm CST
i like the AHM series alot, i just wish the Simon Furman story didnt get the back burner....i really felt cheated out of a good story. im just happy they continued it w/ maximum dinobots
Re: Shane McCarthy Talks 'All Hail Megatron' (868653)
Posted by WhiteNoise on January 17th, 2009 @ 1:06pm CST
I can't wait for this to hit TPB. I've already missed too many issues, the last I bought was #3 I think? But yeah, I wanna AHMTPB-NOW.
Re: Shane McCarthy Talks 'All Hail Megatron' (868671)
Posted by Dead Metal on January 17th, 2009 @ 1:47pm CST
I read everything that had been put out by IDW and there's no disrespect of what Simon's done coming from me. I grew up reading Simon's books and still have those big format TF comics in my back room. There's no way I'm going to spit on anything that man's done.

Fu**ing lying c*nt!
Re: Shane McCarthy Talks 'All Hail Megatron' (868699)
Posted by skyshadowprimus on January 17th, 2009 @ 2:37pm CST
Dead Metal wrote:

Fu**ing lying c*nt!

Truer words were never spoken.

I don't get how he can retcon every single character development, plot device, alt mode, lead character, background setting, human perception and knowledge of transformers on their planet, not to mention totally undo the last known status of certain characters like Prime, Kup, Reflector and Sunstreaker and then claim he respects his work.

A writer of an established franchise should build on what has been done, by changing everything that Furman established, he not only dug his own grave with the fans who are now convinced that AHM was the reason Revelation was shoehorned into 4 issues, but he sends a message that he thinks his ideas for a story are better than what Furman did.

Instead of trying to graft his story into the continuity established he just wrote it regardless, these are not the actions of a man who respects previous contradictory work. Maybe if he had applied a bit more thought he would have more of the franchise behind him buying his issues.

I for one stopped buying this at issue two as Tesco value toilet roll is much better value for money at 54p a pack, the general read of his interview is hauntingly like that of Pat Lee and his "i know best attitude, but I'll pay lip service to Furman and others in interviews"
Re: Shane McCarthy Talks 'All Hail Megatron' (868800)
Posted by MYoung23 on January 17th, 2009 @ 5:59pm CST
Re: Shane McCarthy Talks 'All Hail Megatron' (868856)
Posted by Sky Glory of Iacon on January 17th, 2009 @ 8:10pm CST
skyshadowprimus wrote:
Dead Metal wrote:

Fu**ing lying c*nt!

Truer words were never spoken.

Ya know this is a good series it just suffers by being an issue by issue series. If it was released as a TPB it would have been better I think. But for the decepitcon die hard it is an awesome read as it contiunes. Megatron's as happy as a cyberclam, Starscream is right, the cons are showing some charector heck thundercracker has been showing how much he is kinda questioning why they are doing this.
Yeah the bots aren't in it as much because they aren't the lead. This isn't showing a good guys winning because they are good. The good guys have some bad guys. Kup is turning out to be that brash jerk who thinks brute is what it takes to win a war, screw science let use bigger guns kinda guy.
Jazz is actually a decent charector and isn't an earth junkie but rather a smart skillful bot who makes me proud to be a fan of his by standing up to Kup and saying screw you I don't do it that way.
Re: Shane McCarthy Talks 'All Hail Megatron' (868858)
Posted by Sky Glory of Iacon on January 17th, 2009 @ 8:12pm CST
MYoung23 wrote:A politician would be proud the way he sidestepped and nonanswered the continuity questions.

Ya know I am still waiting for Micheal Bay for him to answer mine about the movies.
Re: Shane McCarthy Talks 'All Hail Megatron' (869015)
Posted by Dead Metal on January 18th, 2009 @ 2:47am CST
Sky Glory of Iacon wrote:
skyshadowprimus wrote:
Dead Metal wrote:

Fu**ing lying c*nt!

Truer words were never spoken.

You say AHM is a "good story" but seriously where is the story?
Not only has he fucked up the entire continuity but he's delivering one of the worst comic series I've ever read.
So far we had 6 issues in which the story has moved on at such a slow pace that I fear I will die of old age before it has reached the amount of story we usually get from a 4 issue miniseries.
Seriously I like slow story telling but this is just beyond slow this is hilariously bad, even the teaser trailer for Bay's Movie had more story then this.
But the sad thing is that I still have to pay for the next two issues as my comic shop has already ordered them and can't revert that order.
I've enjoyed the free pack in mini comic for the Metrodome G1 DVD box sets "The Beast" a lot more, that was writing wise superior to this crap.
Why dose he get a 12 issue run while Furman got just 6 a year?
Re: Shane McCarthy Talks 'All Hail Megatron' (869221)
Posted by ashe5k on January 18th, 2009 @ 1:18pm CST
[quote="Dead Metal]Why dose he get a 12 issue run while Furman got just 6 a year?[/quote]

Because he's a lot cheaper than Furman would be my guess.
Re: Shane McCarthy Talks 'All Hail Megatron' (869312)
Posted by 8 bit on January 18th, 2009 @ 4:37pm CST
I haven't read AHM because I only buy TPBs, but from what I've heard, it sounds like I haven't missed much besides seeing everything that Furman established in the "ation" series, Stormbringer, and subsequent spotlights thrown under a bus. This is incredibly sad. :-(

If IDW can't stick to what is already been established, then I don't see a point in buying anymore Transformer comics.
Re: Shane McCarthy Talks 'All Hail Megatron' (869456)
Posted by Sky Glory of Iacon on January 18th, 2009 @ 9:26pm CST
Dead Metal wrote:
You say AHM is a "good story" but seriously where is the story?
Not only has he **** up the entire continuity but he's delivering one of the worst comic series I've ever read.
Why dose he get a 12 issue run while Furman got just 6 a year?

Ya know this is the problem with the world we want everything now. We want it now and we don't have the patience to wait for something good. I may have jumpped into the comic books very late in my life but ya know i like this series and you guys don't know what you are missing because you guys took a look at what a few books and stopped! Ha! This is the best interpetation of Jazz yeah the humans suck but even IDW said not everyone will like it.
Re: Shane McCarthy Talks 'All Hail Megatron' (869488)
Posted by Firebird on January 18th, 2009 @ 10:25pm CST
I agree with Dead Metal.

I remember when the first Infiltration arc started and there was also complaining about the slow burn story and character development. But at least Furman gave us Stormbringer, Escalation, and the Spotlight series directly following Infiltration. That not only provided more story elements, but actually closed story arcs as the issues progressed. I'm not gonna say outright that I hate AHM. But comparing the story told, and even the writing in the first 6 issues to the first arc (or even the first 3 issues) of the -tion series it just doesn't compare.

I find that I am only buying AHM because I bought the first issues, Just like with that Marvel/TF crossover abomination (you guys remember that!). Unlike when I was looking forward to a trip to the comic shop to pick up the next issue of Devastation.

Re: Shane McCarthy Talks 'All Hail Megatron' (869626)
Posted by PrivatePoop on January 19th, 2009 @ 7:10am CST
Firebird wrote:However I am a fan of the Propaganda covers and Guido's art, They are my favorite part of each issue. :D

I think it's sort of like when you're little, and you flip through books just to look at the pictures, without reading the words. For me the most disappointing aspects of AHM are the lack of imagination in conceiving the new character Drift and the dialogue (I think it's suicide to write without a decent thesaurus). Do any of you think AHM was at least a good idea, regardless of its execution?
Re: Shane McCarthy Talks 'All Hail Megatron' (869682)
Posted by Dead Metal on January 19th, 2009 @ 8:34am CST
Sky Glory of Iacon wrote:
Dead Metal wrote:
You say AHM is a "good story" but seriously where is the story?
Why dose he get a 12 issue run while Furman got just 6 a year?

I have all issues of AHM, and sadly I will have to buy the next two as my comic store has already ordered them for me and the can't cancel the orders for those as it's against their supplier's policy.
And I say HA to you as you missed out on some of the best comic stories ever and believe that AHM is a good and fun read.
You seem to be one of those that are easily distracted by senseless action, violence and pretty pictures as that's all that AHM is. Even the TF Movie had more story depth then this.
Re: Shane McCarthy Talks 'All Hail Megatron' (869727)
Posted by uranimusprime on January 19th, 2009 @ 10:35am CST
Re: Shane McCarthy Talks 'All Hail Megatron' (869747)
Posted by Dead Metal on January 19th, 2009 @ 11:12am CST
uranimusprime wrote:At the risk of drawing more ire from you guys -- I think you need to be a bit more patient. Yes it is progressing a bit slow but I am enjoying the series. I trust that IDW knows what they're doing with TF at this point. I don't think they would let McCarthy just piss all over what's already been established. I'm sure we'll get some explanations as to what's happened in the missing time eventually. If I'm wrong I'll apologize at that point in time. Have some faith guys!

I am not impatient, I've been patiently reading the idw TF comics for over 3 years now, patiently waiting for the main story to be concluded just t find out idw is board of that story now and destroy the continuity.
Re: Shane McCarthy Talks 'All Hail Megatron' (869844)
Posted by uranimusprime on January 19th, 2009 @ 1:28pm CST

Fair enough, I guess I just don't mind the story continuing in maximum dinobots. I will admit that I was a bit peeved at how they rushed the conclusion of revelation though.
Re: Shane McCarthy Talks 'All Hail Megatron' (869848)
Posted by Matrix. on January 19th, 2009 @ 1:34pm CST
Slow paced it may be, but I find myself automatically defending it as I've always shown a fair bit of venom towards Furman's writing.

I will jump in and say that it doesn't contradict chracter by and large, though.
Re: Shane McCarthy Talks 'All Hail Megatron' (869855)
Posted by Firebird on January 19th, 2009 @ 1:44pm CST
PrivatePoop wrote:Do any of you think AHM was at least a good idea, regardless of its execution?

Well PrivatePoop. I think it was a pretty good idea for a story, the whole "what if" scenario of Decepticon total victory.

But I would have preferred to read about the battles that caused the Autobots to become an endangered species, and how Megs was able to undermine the entire Autobot faction just by using the passcodes supplies by his traitor.

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Crashbash" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Voyager Inferno Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Deluxe Class Arcee Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #268 - Call Me 2020
"Call Me 2020"
Posted: Monday, January 18th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Cogman The Last Knight 1 Step Turbo Changer Cyberfire" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G1 Whirl Nearly Complete 1984" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron: Siege Leader Class WFC-S14 Shockwave" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers SIEGE War for Cybertron RATCHET Walgreens Exclusive box damage." on EBAY
Buy "Transformers siege war for cybertron ironhide" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege Deluxe Prowl! War for Cybertron Generations Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations War for Cybertron Siege Megatron" on EBAY