Shane McCarthy Talks Transformers: Drift

Shane McCarthy Talks Transformers: Drift

Tuesday, August 31st, 2010 5:51pm CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Blurrz   Views: 31,466

Love him or hate him, Drift is getting his own four issue series starting on September 9. Shane McCarthy, the creator of Drift, has updated his website with two articles pertaining to this upcoming series. One is a glimpse at Transformers: Drift #1 Cover A, and McCarthy gives a little synopsis of what to expect in the series. The second is a back story on the creation of Drift's character. Check out the cover and a snippet of what McCarthy has to say below, while the rest can be found on his website!

I get this question a lot and, even though I’ve answered it in a few different interviews, here’s the run down on the “why” of Drift and how Guido and I came about creating the character…So why Drift?

Creatively it all started when I was looking at the roster and got to thinking about the different vehicles and what has been used. Hutch is a huge drift racing fan and it occurred to me that would be great to see a Transformer that turned into a drift racer. Drift racing is huge in Japan and so are the Transformers, why not combine them? That’s the ‘wouldn’t that be cool’ side of things…

Keep it at Seibertron.com for the fastest Transformers news on the net!

Credit(s): Shane McCarthy

This article was last modified on Tuesday, August 31st, 2010 6:27pm CDT

Re: Shane McCarthy Talks Transformers: Drift (1119879)
Posted by Aluus on August 31st, 2010 @ 5:58pm CDT
As far as I'm concerned, Drift is pure win. I've been eagerly anticipating this series from it's announcement. This and the new Linkin Park album are gonna make September very fun for me.
Re: Shane McCarthy Talks Transformers: Drift (1119886)
Posted by ponycorn on August 31st, 2010 @ 6:06pm CDT

Re: Shane McCarthy Talks Transformers: Drift (1119888)
Posted by Blurrz on August 31st, 2010 @ 6:09pm CDT
ponycorn wrote:Drift is cool, makes for a good character in the comics and a nice toy on anyone's shelf. Do I think it could have been done with a guy like Counterpuch? Yes, but I'm not arguing about Drift either.

No need to be disappointed, Counterpunch is getting his own comic series too.
Re: Shane McCarthy Talks Transformers: Drift (1119889)
Posted by MYoung23 on August 31st, 2010 @ 6:14pm CDT
How is McCarthy going to crap on continuity this time?
Re: Shane McCarthy Talks Transformers: Drift (1119909)
Posted by Mindmaster on August 31st, 2010 @ 6:43pm CDT
I'm getting a Gundam-theme coming from the Decepticon side for some reason...

But other than that, one word can describe this piece of artwork:

Wow.

Can't wait for it to see the first issue on shelves! :lol: :APPLAUSE: :APPLAUSE:
Re: Shane McCarthy Talks Transformers: Drift (1119914)
Posted by Aluus on August 31st, 2010 @ 6:54pm CDT
Yeah, drift has always been kinda gundamish. Part of what makes him so visually appealing
Re: Shane McCarthy Talks Transformers: Drift (1119961)
Posted by Doctor McGrath on August 31st, 2010 @ 8:34pm CDT
I'm liking the looks of this. I'll give it a shot. I'd like to know more about the character.
Re: Shane McCarthy Talks Transformers: Drift (1119989)
Posted by Darth Bombshell on August 31st, 2010 @ 9:26pm CDT
ponycorn wrote:I don't know why people get all bothered about Drift being an original character. How many forgetable nobody new-characters did the Bay movies create? Most of those even got hideous toys to go along with, plus 3 repaints.

Did any of those characters get overhyped to the degree that Drift did? Did any of those characters get a Spotlight issue ahead of several billion better candidates?
Re: Shane McCarthy Talks Transformers: Drift (1119990)
Posted by Rated X on August 31st, 2010 @ 9:28pm CDT
Ok time for a stupid question...What the heck is "Drift Racing" ???

Im into lowriders and SUV's so I know little about racing...
Re: Shane McCarthy Talks Transformers: Drift (1119998)
Posted by Doctor McGrath on August 31st, 2010 @ 9:49pm CDT
Rated X wrote:Ok time for a stupid question...What the heck is "Drift Racing" ???

Im into lowriders and SUV's so I know little about racing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvYkXLez ... re=related
Re: Shane McCarthy Talks Transformers: Drift (1120021)
Posted by sabrigami on August 31st, 2010 @ 11:49pm CDT
I will give it shot, but I don't really have high expectations for it. That cover is well done, but is it just me or does his face just seem too human. It's kinda freaky :-?
Re: Shane McCarthy Talks Transformers: Drift (1120055)
Posted by Oilspill on September 1st, 2010 @ 2:52am CDT

Agreed! And Transformers gets new characters all the time, there's heaps in Animated. Drift is certainly a damn fine toy and has the potential to be a cool character. Hopefully the mini delivers a good story.
Re: Shane McCarthy Talks Transformers: Drift (1120132)
Posted by Dead Metal on September 1st, 2010 @ 8:05am CDT
MYoung23 wrote:How is McCarthy going to crap on continuity this time?

Maybe by writing something which removes Last stand of the Wreckers from continuity since he hates good comics?

I think that cover is hilarious, evil Drift smiles while good guy Drift frowns! :lol:
Re: Shane McCarthy Talks Transformers: Drift (1120139)
Posted by Convotron on September 1st, 2010 @ 8:31am CDT
Mindmaster wrote:I'm getting a Gundam-theme coming from the Decepticon side for some reason...

When I quickly glanced at the cover art, the Decepticon side made me think immediately of Reborns Gundam. It's probably due to the silhouette of the head design combined with the red, gold, and white colours of that side of the picture.
Re: Shane McCarthy Talks Transformers: Drift (1120146)
Posted by Rated X on September 1st, 2010 @ 8:40am CDT
amcgrath929 wrote:

Im into lowriders and SUV's so I know little about racing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvYkXLez ... re=related

Interesting....So basically they are doing donuts (and half donuts) around obstacles and sharp curves. I can imagine the cost of tires for such a sport. :lol:
Re: Shane McCarthy Talks Transformers: Drift (1120200)
Posted by Galvatron X on September 1st, 2010 @ 10:34am CDT
Blurrz wrote:

No need to be disappointed, Counterpunch is getting his own comic series too.

Ehh, I'm not so sure how interesting the adventures of a forum moderator would be...
:P

He does have a couple black belts, right? Maybe there would be some ass-kicking action!
Re: Shane McCarthy Talks Transformers: Drift (1120263)
Posted by Coptur on September 1st, 2010 @ 2:39pm CDT
Re: Shane McCarthy Talks Transformers: Drift (1120328)
Posted by Bobton03 on September 1st, 2010 @ 5:46pm CDT
While I am excited about the new series about Drift, I am afraid that IDW will either leave the developing story regarding Thundercracker hanging or kill in one comic issue. Personally, I would rather read a new series about an existing member of the TF Universe that chose to change allegiance rather than a brand-new 'bot altogether.

- Bob
Re: Shane McCarthy Talks Transformers: Drift (1120797)
Posted by Stormer on September 2nd, 2010 @ 6:53pm CDT
I'm looking forward to the Drift series. I like the character, how he looks and I want to know how his encounter with the mysterious Third Faction changed him. I really am hoping for a good story! Won't have to wait long now if it's coming out on the 9th! :x
Re: Shane McCarthy Talks Transformers: Drift (1120824)
Posted by Rodimus the Prime on September 2nd, 2010 @ 9:02pm CDT
Coptur wrote:i'd like to see thundercracker drawn towards drift in this idw universe at first he shunned him as nothing more than a traitor but his own self should tell him that Drift maybe a good person to talk to regarding his own inner demons

Thundercracker is good now???....WTH??

Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Sky Lynx" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
"No Thanks Given"
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

Buy "Transformers RID Windblade - Warrior Class 2016 - NEW" on EBAY
Buy "Funko Pop! Retro Toys G1 Transformers SHOCKWAVE #83 SDCC 2021 Shared Exclusive" on EBAY
Buy "2015 Transformers Combiner Wars WHEELJACK Deluxe Class Complete Instructions" on EBAY
Buy "AIR RAID Transformers Combiner Wars Deluxe Aerialbot Superion 2015 Complete" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Robots in Disguise SPRINGLOAD Incomplete Action Figure Frog RID Fig" on EBAY