Share your ideas about ways to improve Seibertron.com's forums

Share your ideas about ways to improve Seibertron.com's forums

Sunday, February 7th, 2010 2:20pm CST

Category: Site News
Posted by: Dead Metal   Views: 15,611

Ryan, the site owner and father of seibertron.com has been working on improvements to the site and the forums. Below is a list of what he did, we at seibertron.com would also like to know from you how your forum experience could be improved, just click on the discuss topic button and take part in the discussion!

During the past week, I have implemented a ton of minor changes intended to improve everyone's experience here at the Seibertron.com Forums. Now that I've made several rounds of initial changes, I'd like to get your input about what you think could be done to improve the forums. I'd like to have this be an open discussion ... a sharing of our minds. There is no wrong idea, no stupid idea, no idea to small ... let's bounce ideas off each other to see what can be done to improve the forums.

Here are a few things that were changed in the past week:

1. Search engine friendly URLs ... this basically means the URLs for forums, topics and posts are now readable to the human eye. The URLs now also include keywords which will help improve Seibertron.com's results on various search engines.

2. I fixed some CSS (stylesheet) issues. I decreased the margins and padding to bring the whole page up about 30 or 40 pixels. Not a big issue until you're looking at the site on a mobile phone.

3. I fixed the CSS for the "advanced search" so that it would be a dark color on a light background instead of a light color on a light background.

4. I removed the "Smilies" text that appeared above the smilies below the textarea for editing posts. I think everyone knows what smilies are now ... no sense wasting space.

5. I decreased the font size of the text below the smilies, again to decrease the distance between the textarea and the submit button when you are editing a post.

6. I moved the "Moderator(s)" text string to the bottom of the forums and topics instead of appearing below the forum and topic name. If you guys need to find out who the appropriate moderator is for a particular forum, you can now find the links for the moderators at the bottom of the page instead of wasting space at the top of the page. Again, just trying to make the page more accessible.

7. I got rid of a few forums this past week. Merged the Philosopher's forum with General Discussion due to how little traffic the Philosopher's Forum got in the past year (not ever 100 topics). I looked through that forum and didn't see anything that couldn't have been discussed in General Discussion, which is the point of having a "general" discussion forum. I also merged HMW's Maximal and Predacon forums with their respective Autobot and Decepticon forums.

8. I moved the Toy Sightings forum to be a subforum of the Transformers Toys forum. I figured it would be more noticeable if the sightings forum was available in the toys forum. Hopefully this will get some more attention.

9. HMW, Transtopia, and RPG forums are now subforums of the "Feature Forums" section. None of the links changed, I just thought the front page of the forums might look cleaner, more focused, and less intimidating if the individual sub-forums for those sections didn't appear on the Forum's main page.

10. And of course, there's the new BB codes that allow you to easily post YouTube videos, do strikes through text, and easily add spoiler text (finally).

So now I turn to all of you. What ideas do you guys have? No idea is too small, not idea is too unimportant. Small details make the world of difference. Share your thoughts!

This article was last modified on Sunday, February 7th, 2010 2:40pm CST

Re: Share your ideas about ways to improve Seibertron.com's forums (1045028)
Posted by Mykltron on February 7th, 2010 @ 2:29pm CST
Re: Share your ideas about ways to improve Seibertron.com's forums (1045031)
Posted by Seibertron on February 7th, 2010 @ 2:36pm CST
I just fixed the "quote" code in the news section so that our quotes from the message board will display properly, particularly with user comments below a news post.

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/ ... oss/17821/
Re: Share your ideas about ways to improve Seibertron.com's forums (1045034)
Posted by Seibertron on February 7th, 2010 @ 2:38pm CST
Mykltron wrote:The search function is a PITA. How about giving us the choice of searching forum text or forum titles?

You have that option when you click on "Advanced Search":

search.php

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're requesting ...
Re: Share your ideas about ways to improve Seibertron.com's forums (1045038)
Posted by The Legend on February 7th, 2010 @ 2:45pm CST
Large photos are cropped when posted in forums. Can they be auto-thumbed if they are above a certain size?

When signing up to the site forums the verification code is extremely hard to work out. When you can see the code through the speckles the letters and numbers look like they were written by a 2 year old using MSpaint and just look like scrawl. It took me about 15 tries through several hours to sign up.
Re: Share your ideas about ways to improve Seibertron.com's forums (1045043)
Posted by Nemesis_Apoc on February 7th, 2010 @ 2:52pm CST
Party Forum Resurrection anyone?
Re: Share your ideas about ways to improve Seibertron.com's forums (1045046)
Posted by Seibertron on February 7th, 2010 @ 2:59pm CST
Large photo test ...

Re: Share your ideas about ways to improve Seibertron.com's forums (1045049)
Posted by The Legend on February 7th, 2010 @ 3:07pm CST
Seibertron wrote:Large photo test ...

Unless you posted half of Banzai-tron's face, test failed.
EDIT- That's better.
Re: Share your ideas about ways to improve Seibertron.com's forums (1045051)
Posted by The Legend on February 7th, 2010 @ 3:11pm CST
The post times are about 10 minutes out.
Re: Share your ideas about ways to improve Seibertron.com's forums (1045058)
Posted by Seibertron on February 7th, 2010 @ 3:13pm CST
The Legend wrote:The post times are about 10 minutes out.

Should be fixed now.
Re: Share your ideas about ways to improve Seibertron.com's forums (1045053)
Posted by Seibertron on February 7th, 2010 @ 3:15pm CST
The Legend wrote:
Seibertron wrote:Large photo test ...

Unless you posted half of Banzai-tron's face, test failed.
EDIT- That's better.

Ah, much better. I applied "max-width:100%" in the style sheet to images. Now they will scale according to your browser's width. Ugh. I should've done this years ago. I never thought about doing max-width:100% ... I kept thinking that I should have a fixed pixel width.

I applied this change to the front end for the news section as well. Another awesome side-effect is that this will fix the images in the forums and the news section for mobile devices as well.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Re: Share your ideas about ways to improve Seibertron.com's forums (1045078)
Posted by Skyfire77 on February 7th, 2010 @ 3:54pm CST
Night Raid and I mentioned this on the Trouble thread, but just in case: the Mark Topics Read button doesn't seem to be working.
Re: Share your ideas about ways to improve Seibertron.com's forums (1045099)
Posted by YRQRM0 on February 7th, 2010 @ 4:38pm CST
That picture thing was the only thing that bothered me, I have no complaints....as long as I can see the whole picture
Re: Share your ideas about ways to improve Seibertron.com's forums (1045161)
Posted by Down_Shift on February 7th, 2010 @ 8:25pm CST

Re: Share your ideas about ways to improve Seibertron.com's forums (1045211)
Posted by Seibertron on February 7th, 2010 @ 11:31pm CST
Down_Shift wrote:Not so much an improvement to the forums so much as it is a suggestion for the galleries. Over the years when I've looked at the galleries I always like to take a closer look at the pictures but always have to go back to see the thumbnails again. Why not have the thumbnails available under the larger images. This way you have the option of going forward through the gallery of larger images while still being able to see and cycle through the thumbnail images?

This is an interesting suggestion and definitely something for me to ponder. I guess I always assumed that people would hold down the "ctrl" button on their keyboard and then click on the thumbnails to open the images up in new tabs in their browser or would click on the "thumbs" button in the top right hand corner of the galleries to move forward while viewing new images (when you do this, it makes the last image you viewed the first thumbnail on the page followed by the next batch of images following the image you just viewed).

Down_Shift wrote:Also I'd like to see an import emoticon feature. People always seem to have there own hilarious emoticons, and while ours are pretty good there are some good ones out there not gracing the pages here on Seibertron.com.

If you've got some awesome emoticons that you think we should have available here, please send them my way and I'll see about adding them if they're appropriate.
Re: Share your ideas about ways to improve Seibertron.com's forums (1045275)
Posted by Tekka on February 8th, 2010 @ 5:34am CST

Edit: Oops, just noticed this has already been reported. Sorry.
Re: Share your ideas about ways to improve Seibertron.com's forums (1045343)
Posted by Seibertron on February 8th, 2010 @ 11:44am CST
Tekka wrote:The only thing I'd like at the moment is for the Mark Forums Read button to work again.

Edit: Oops, just noticed this has already been reported. Sorry.

How long has it not been working for you guys? Did it just stop working last week? I'm trying to assess if the changes I made last week broke this or if it's been broken for a while.
Re: Share your ideas about ways to improve Seibertron.com's forums (1045348)
Posted by Tekka on February 8th, 2010 @ 11:51am CST
Yeah, it stopped working when you made the changes.

Before it would include the session id in the url when you clicked the link, now the sid isn't there, but it still doesn't work even if you put the &sid=123456etc on the url manually.
Re: Share your ideas about ways to improve Seibertron.com's forums (1045353)
Posted by Name_Violation on February 8th, 2010 @ 12:06pm CST
can we condense some of the announcement. it looks like an aweful lot could be combined. do we need 7 stickied topics? cant we get it down to 3 or 4

edit: i guess its just GD that has the big problem. but cant "Posting in spambot threads", "General warning about trolling, flaming and not respecting others opinions", "Info about our warning and ban system", and "Sig size guidelines" all be put into "**BOARD RULES PLEASE READ** ". all of thoses just seem like they could be in the 1 board rules thread which would de-clutter the top of the forum
Re: Share your ideas about ways to improve Seibertron.com's forums (1045385)
Posted by Cyberstrike on February 8th, 2010 @ 2:09pm CST
Re: Share your ideas about ways to improve Seibertron.com's forums (1045388)
Posted by Seibertron on February 8th, 2010 @ 2:19pm CST
Cyberstrike wrote:How about seprating the cartoons and comics into 2 fourms or have a sub-forum featuring comics or cartoons?

I had the forums separated like that a few years ago, but neither separate forum was getting a lot of traffic. I merged them to help generate more interest but that still hasn't really seemed to work. There have only been 100 topics posted in since December 21st so I'm not sure what to do with that forum at this time.

I'm open to suggestions and ideas though on how to improve activity in the cartoon and comics forum(s).

Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #275 - Non-Fungible Mailbag
"Non-Fungible Mailbag"
Posted: Saturday, May 1st, 2021

Buy "Transformers Prime Cyberverse Commander Class Starscream" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G1 80 84 Devastator Constructicon Scrapper" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers R.e.d. MEGATRON Vinyl RED Series Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Deluxe Starscream and wfc generations starscream lot" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Lot-Cyberverse Bumblebee and Jazz, Quick Change" on EBAY