Simon Furman and Andrew Wildman Discuss Regeneration One from IDW

Simon Furman and Andrew Wildman Discuss Regeneration One from IDW

Tuesday, December 6th, 2011 6:44am CST

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: LOST Cybertronian   Views: 35,582

If you are as excited as we are about the continuation of the original Transformers comic universe and can't wait until Free Comic Book Day May 5 for Regeneration One, Simon Furman and Andrew Wildman give us more info about this book via their wordpress blogs.

Simon Furman explains what we can expect from the plot of the book.

Simon Furman wrote:Announced yesterday at Bleeding Cool News, Newsarama and a host of other sites, Free Comic Day 2012 (May 5th) will feature the official launch of Transformers: Regeneration One, the epic continuation/conclusion of the original Transformers comic series, originally published by Marvel (which ended with issue #80 back in 1991). Transformers: Regeneration One #80.5, featuring all-new story (by me) and art by Andrew Wildman and Stephen Baskerville, will be available FREE on May 5th at all good comic book stores, with #81 following in July. So what can you expect from #80.5? Clearly, I don’t want to give away salient plot points at this stage, but I can say… the story picks up 21 years after #80. Cybertron has been at peace (mostly) for all that time, but — of course — there are loose ends. And as those loose ends involve some of the biggest and baddest villains in the (original) Transformers Universe, it’s pretty safe to say that the ‘peace’ will be shattered in a fairly monumental way. The issue will be pretty balanced between stuff to bring readers up to speed and stuff that propels the new storyline onwards, so whether or not you read the original run, you can still easily jump onboard here. What else? Well, when I was doing the prep for the continuation, I re-read all eighty issues, plus mini-series, and made pretty extensive notes about anything and everything that needed attention or some kind of reference or wrap up, so you can expect a really comprehensive and thorough conclusion to the series (though that’s a ways off yet, in issue #100!), as well as copious nods to what has come before (and not necessarily just in the US comic). What else? Only that Andrew and Stephen are seriously knocking the ball out of the park on the art side. They’re managed that rare trick of recapturing the spirit of the original run but also bringing in another 20 years’ worth of experience to the pages, making each panel worth savouring again and again. Just wait until you see the opening splash and final page of #81. Both are stunning jaw-droppers! Oh yeah, one last thing – categorically, #81-100 are not a lead in to G2. But neither are we exactly ignoring G2 either. Weird as that sounds, I think/hope it’ll kind of work. I’m drawing on everything I can here, and because we know we’re building to a conclusion, you can expect some total bombshells as the issues unfold. Hope that’s whetted your appetite. Keep checking in for more Regeneration tidbits here and on the official IDW website.

Andrew Wildman goes into details about the cover and the interior colourist on the book.

Andrew Wildman wrote:So now that you have all seen the amazing front cover for the new Transformers ReGeneration comic many have asked who did the awesome colouring.
We did have a number of colourists approach us who wanted to do the job. For me the first and foremost choice was always going to be Jason Cardy . I have known Jason for a number of years and he has been an amazing contributor to the Draw the World Together project. His colours are some of the best around and he has already built up a portfolio of Transformers colour work for the UK Transformers magazine. Due to other commitments Jason is not able to colour the interiors so the search went on for an interior colourist. We considered many but the one that stood out as a great colourist for the interiors was John-Paul Bove. JP (as we call him) was kind enough to do us a sample page and with a few notes and nips and tucks and guidance he captured the look we were after. A successful blending of the old and the new. Something that harked back to the old Marvel Transformers comic but that also incorporated some of the modern techniques of colouring. I can’t show you the results yet as it would be a bit of a spoiler but rest assured it is great and I will show you something as soon as IDW let me.
I have also set up a Transformers ReGeneration Facebook page. If you do the Facebook thing why not pop along and take a look.

Credit(s): Simon Furman/Andrew Wildman Wordpress Blogs

This article was last modified on Tuesday, December 6th, 2011 6:46am CST

Re: Simon Furman and Andrew Wildman Discuss Regeneration One from IDW (1320118)
Posted by Heavy B on December 6th, 2011 @ 7:59am CST
Re: Simon Furman and Andrew Wildman Discuss Regeneration One from IDW (1320163)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 6th, 2011 @ 11:00am CST
Dr. Heavy B wrote:i've still been trying to read issues 1-80. Those reprint TPB's are a bitch to find
You should go for the newest 2011-onward reprints from IDW. They're higher quality remastered and include all the missing from the previous 2008-2010 reprints.

Or, you could torrent the original comics online. ;)
Re: Simon Furman and Andrew Wildman Discuss Regeneration One from IDW (1320202)
Posted by Seibertron on December 6th, 2011 @ 1:25pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:

Or, you could torrent the original comics online. ;)

Per our rules, please do not discuss the illegal downloading of comics, cartoons, movies, and music that should be purchased through other means. Thanks.
Re: Simon Furman and Andrew Wildman Discuss Regeneration One from IDW (1320279)
Posted by LOST Cybertronian on December 6th, 2011 @ 9:11pm CST
Chris Ryall has revealed via his twitter feed a never before seen interior page from Transformers ReGeneration One #80.5. This gives you a good idea of the art and coloring style for the continuing series. This issue will be available May 5 for Free Comic Book Day. The image has been mirrored below.

Re: Simon Furman and Andrew Wildman Discuss Regeneration One from IDW (1320283)
Posted by Heavy B on December 6th, 2011 @ 9:18pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:

FINALLY. Got the first one and the U.K. reprint at mycomicshop.com
Re: Simon Furman and Andrew Wildman Discuss Regeneration One from IDW (1320290)
Posted by Galvatron X on December 6th, 2011 @ 9:29pm CST

I dunno, it looks kinda "amateur-ish". Something about the poses and "anatomy" looks off.

Kup doesn't look very old, does he?
Re: Simon Furman and Andrew Wildman Discuss Regeneration One from IDW (1320291)
Posted by Darth Bombshell on December 6th, 2011 @ 9:32pm CST
Galvatron X wrote:I'm guessing a lot of complaining about that art is gonna start right......now! :D

I dunno, it looks kinda amateur-ish. Something about the poses look off.

Kup doesn't look very old, does he?

This is Andrew Wildman's style, and how the last several issues of the original comic were drawn. I expect that if any complaints about the artwork were to happen, it'd be from people who don't know either of those things.
Re: Simon Furman and Andrew Wildman Discuss Regeneration One from IDW (1320295)
Posted by Galvatron X on December 6th, 2011 @ 9:50pm CST
Darth Bombshell wrote:

Uhhhh, okay...

No, I didn't know that about Wildman and his style. But, now that I do:

Kup doesn't look very old, does he?
Re: Simon Furman and Andrew Wildman Discuss Regeneration One from IDW (1320322)
Posted by Poyguimogul on December 6th, 2011 @ 11:24pm CST
I really love that retro-look. Granted, the bottom left panel of prime's face is more modern looking, it's not overly off putting.
A-Dubz gonna' kill it. (I know it's different team all together but) the retro-stepper manga pages really got me excited, and seeing this page now, makes me want this book so bad. Which I had not felt on the majority of IDW TF books since Megatron : Origin #1.
Re: Simon Furman and Andrew Wildman Discuss Regeneration One from IDW (1320353)
Posted by Seibertron on December 7th, 2011 @ 1:29am CST
Ultra Magnus is in the book! Hell yeah! Hopefully the UK continuity will be acknowledged on some level.

I still can't believe we're getting this book. I'm extremely excited about it.
Re: Simon Furman and Andrew Wildman Discuss Regeneration One from IDW (1320362)
Posted by funeralthirst7 on December 7th, 2011 @ 2:11am CST
Is it just me or do they look like they're starving?
Re: Simon Furman and Andrew Wildman Discuss Regeneration One from IDW (1320392)
Posted by Blackstreak on December 7th, 2011 @ 6:15am CST
That's amazing. It retains the original style of drawing while adding in a modern touch. I like! :APPLAUSE:
Re: Simon Furman and Andrew Wildman Discuss Regeneration One from IDW (1320463)
Posted by partholon on December 7th, 2011 @ 9:57am CST

I was wondeing how the new art would look and i have to say im delighted with it .

a lovely blend of the new and the old style andy had, with beautiful colours to boot.

cant belive how much i want to see this book now. about the only thing worrying me is im not sure if i can get regeneration 80.5 as it a "Free comic bood day" comicn and NONE of my local shops support that.

if memeory serves the last time IDW tried that was the "focus on decepticons" comic that previewed all hail megatron and that never showed up either.

hopefully my online retailer will allow me to buy it as im fecked if im going to miss this if i can help it.
Re: Simon Furman and Andrew Wildman Discuss Regeneration One from IDW (1320467)
Posted by T-Macksimus on December 7th, 2011 @ 10:01am CST
This is the best TF news I've heard in a long time. Seeing those pane3ls with Kup, Hot Rod, Prime and Magnus instantly took me back to my early days of comic collecting. Yeah, a lot of the younger crowd is going to tear this apart and just dump all over it because of the art and likely the story considering where the original series ended, but having grown up with the original comic series I can honestly say that ReGeneration is going to be the coolest thing to come out for G1 fans since the Classics toy-line first started. I still have most of my original TF comics including 8 out of the first 10 original issues, the last 15 issues of the series and the complete G2 run (short-lived as it was). This continuation will be firing up just after my Birthday and my return home after a 5 month jaunt so this will be like a combination B-day/Welcome Home present for me to get for myself. :grin: :grin: :KREMZEEK:
Re: Simon Furman and Andrew Wildman Discuss Regeneration One from IDW (1320555)
Posted by Supreme Convoy on December 7th, 2011 @ 1:42pm CST
I'm glad that G2 is still part of the story.
Re: Simon Furman and Andrew Wildman Discuss Regeneration One from IDW (1320557)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 7th, 2011 @ 1:52pm CST
Supreme Convoy wrote:I'm glad that G2 is still part of the story.
I though Furman said he was going to go a different route from it.

From what I could tell of this, he might be making little references to it without openly stating it to be in continuity with this. Wish it was, though. :-|
Re: Simon Furman and Andrew Wildman Discuss Regeneration One from IDW (1320578)
Posted by gothsaurus on December 7th, 2011 @ 2:46pm CST
Great hybrid style. I'll be buying comics again based SOLELY on these comics coming out. I'd quit after all the bland human-centric action in many of the IDW comics.
Re: Simon Furman and Andrew Wildman Discuss Regeneration One from IDW (1320584)
Posted by RhA on December 7th, 2011 @ 3:01pm CST
Okay. That's it. I'm getting back into comics.
Re: Simon Furman and Andrew Wildman Discuss Regeneration One from IDW (1320615)
Posted by Windsweeper on December 7th, 2011 @ 4:13pm CST
I've waited almost 20 years for this. However, Furman's characterisations when he's not writing Thunderwing, Prime, Grimlock, the Dinobots, Nightbeat, Scorponok, Megatron, Shockwave or Starscream tend to be generic. He should never be allowed near Prowl or Cyclonus who he reduces to a thug like most Cons he writes.

As for Wildman's art, I don't like it. His UK work was good but his US work was when he gave us the fleshy faces which I disliked as much as the Bayfaces. Already hating his woefully small Ultra Magnus and those linked eyes. He seems to be of the Actionmaster mentality where all the TF's are the same size.Bring back Geoff Senior!

BTW, I'm an old fan who dislikes Wildman's art.

Gripes aside, I am looking forward to this greatly.
Re: Simon Furman and Andrew Wildman Discuss Regeneration One from IDW (1320618)
Posted by gothsaurus on December 7th, 2011 @ 4:18pm CST
Yeah, I agree on a lot of these counts (sizing, faces, thug versions of Prowl...). I'm hoping IDW will reel both Furman and Wildman in a bit on things like the sizing issue, personalities, etc.... and have them both kinda compromise on some of the style and character decisions. Get them all a bit more of in line with the more accepted versions of the characters.

But what I saw of Prime and magnus and kup. Not bad. Not a lot of complaints with the art. I'd just love to avoid some of those drooling spittle and human teeth kinda shots. Those were a little weird.

AND yeah, I'm loving me some Geoff Senior. His stylized versions of the characters always rocked. Windsweeper... ya got good taste, my friend.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titan Masters Overboard Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #268 - Call Me 2020
"Call Me 2020"
Posted: Monday, January 18th, 2021

Buy "Transformers 2016 Generations Titans Return Deluxe Class SKULLSMASHER & GRAX!" on EBAY
Buy "Takara TOMY Transformers Legends LG32 Chromedome Headmasters Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers robots in disguise generations Megatron, Scourge, Primus and More!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Skullsmasher Grax Skullcruncher g1 headmaster wfc" on EBAY
Buy "SUPER 7 REACTION TRANSFORMERS GOLD ARMOR BUMBLEBEE ACTION FIGURE NEW IN HAND" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of the Primes Vector Prime Prime Master" on EBAY
Buy "DECEPTICON BERSERKER PREMIER EDITION TRANSFORMERS THE LAST KNIGHT" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers: 2017 Generations Power of the Primes Vector Prime Prime Master" on EBAY