Simon Furman Blog Update

Simon Furman Blog Update

Tuesday, August 28th, 2007 2:48pm CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, People News
Posted by: Darth Bombshell   Views: 23,710

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

Simon Furman has once again updated his blog, this time with new information about the final issue of "The Ascending."

SCRIPT (W)RAP
August 27th, 2007

This will (by necessity) have to be one of THE most obtuse and teasing script (w)raps I’ve done so far, largely because it’s for issue #4 (of four) of Beast Wars: The Ascending. My good friend Ben Yee, who read the script and often advises me on all things Beast Wars (simply because he’s arguably THE authority on the series), compared the bodycount favourably to Marvel’s Generation 2 comic, so that gives you an idea that this series is set to end on a less than happy note (in some ways at least). Anyhow, what can I tell you? Well, apart from the fact that several characters meet sticky ends (and this is in no way limited or exclusive to minor characters), the main villain of the piece (by now, thanks to preview images of interior art for #1 and the cover for #4 having hit the web elsewhere, it’s pretty much general knowledge that ‘the nemesis’ I’ve carefully been referring to is Shokaract) makes his grand power play, unaware that he is the pawn of a far greater evil, and Magmatron (still consigned, for now, to a temporal limbo) puts a desperate plan to stop him into all-out action. Big Convoy and Lio Convoy fight side-by-side on Cybertron, Razorbeast takes on Rartorata, Drancron and Elephorca alone (for now) and Ravage fights dirty (as always). Oh, and there’s even a tie-in to the end of the Beast Wars TV series. This one really is cover-to-cover action, with far-reaching events unfolding on both Earth and Cybertron, and it sets up… well, that’d be telling. Beast Wars The Ascending #4 hits in November. For more details of all IDW’s upcoming Transformers releases go here.

Credit(s): Seibertron, simonfurman.wordpress.com


News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Re: Simon Furman Blog Update (311215)
Posted by Darth Bombshell on August 28th, 2007 @ 2:51pm CDT
So let me see if I get this. The ending of "The Ascending" will result in the killing of a great majority of characters that have, thus far, not gotten any decent characterization at all?

Well, so much for correcting the mistakes of "The Gathering." I'll still buy it, though. Nice to see confirmation on Shockaract, too. :)
Re: Simon Furman Blog Update (311217)
Posted by Phorpus on August 28th, 2007 @ 2:52pm CDT
This better not be like that crappy Red Vs. Blue ending where everybody dies.
Re: Simon Furman Blog Update (311244)
Posted by Leonardo on August 28th, 2007 @ 3:13pm CDT
Darth Bombshell wrote:So let me see if I get this. The ending of "The Ascending" will result in the killing of a great majority of characters that have, thus far, not gotten any decent characterization at all?


And that's how one tells a story...
Re: Simon Furman Blog Update (311303)
Posted by Briggs on August 28th, 2007 @ 3:39pm CDT
YEAH BIIIIIG CONVOY!!! HOOOAHHH!!!!
Re: Simon Furman Blog Update (311329)
Posted by Counterpunch on August 28th, 2007 @ 3:55pm CDT
Glad to know about Issue #4!

Now, when do I buy Issue #1?
Re: Simon Furman Blog Update (311336)
Posted by Darth Bombshell on August 28th, 2007 @ 3:57pm CDT
Leonardo wrote:And that's how one tells a story...


Which would work if the characters involved weren't a bunch of faceless blanks. Ironically, I'm beginning to think they worked better as characters as the faceless blanks they were before they were brought online.
Re: Simon Furman Blog Update (311367)
Posted by Leonardo on August 28th, 2007 @ 4:11pm CDT
Darth Bombshell wrote:
Leonardo wrote:And that's how one tells a story...


Which would work if the characters involved weren't a bunch of faceless blanks. Ironically, I'm beginning to think they worked better as characters as the faceless blanks they were before they were brought online.


It does seem a backwards way of storytelling. I'll reserve judgement until I read it (I'll probably enjoy it anyway) but with "The Gathering" there was occasionally a feeling of "Ooh, look ,it's him!" and "Oh, oh, it's -" and so forth. Name dropping, almost, like he wanted to use everyone who'd never been used before. I hope this time he takes time to develop a core cast rather than flooding the pages with every obscure BW character.

That said, I enjoyed "The Gathering" and I'm eager to see The Further Adventures of Razorbeast and Magmatron.
Re: Simon Furman Blog Update (311392)
Posted by Darth Bombshell on August 28th, 2007 @ 4:29pm CDT
Leonardo wrote:I'll reserve judgement until I read it (I'll probably enjoy it anyway) but with "The Gathering" there was occasionally a feeling of "Ooh, look ,it's him!" and "Oh, oh, it's -" and so forth. Name dropping, almost, like he wanted to use everyone who'd never been used before. I hope this time he takes time to develop a core cast rather than flooding the pages with every obscure BW character.


The problem though is that Furman has all but just admitted that the majority of those guys will be getting killed off by the end of "The Ascending", so the idea of getting character development out of any of them doesn't seem likely.
Re: Simon Furman Blog Update (311421)
Posted by 1337W422102 on August 28th, 2007 @ 4:48pm CDT
Darth Bombshell wrote:So let me see if I get this. The ending of "The Ascending" will result in the killing of a great majority of characters that have, thus far, not gotten any decent characterization at all?

Reminds me of the movie...

At any rate, I'm still interested in the Beast Wars comics. I'll have to check these out.
Re: Simon Furman Blog Update (311476)
Posted by OptimusShr on August 28th, 2007 @ 5:21pm CDT
Phorpus wrote:This better not be like that crappy Red Vs. Blue ending where everybody dies.


Uh, what? They didn't kill everyone at the end of Red Vs. Blue.

Anyway I can't wait for the comic to come out.
Re: Simon Furman Blog Update (311552)
Posted by i_amtrunks on August 28th, 2007 @ 6:16pm CDT
As long as Ascending #4 comes out in November I'll be happy.
I expect alot of carnage to take place in this series, and I'd say a certain Dynobot may be responsible for more than his fair share's worth.
Re: Simon Furman Blog Update (311645)
Posted by justynnbailey on August 28th, 2007 @ 7:09pm CDT
I'll be fine, as long as they dont kill of Grimlock....
Re: Simon Furman Blog Update (311926)
Posted by Darth Bombshell on August 28th, 2007 @ 9:44pm CDT
i_amtrunks wrote:I'd say a certain Dynobot may be responsible for more than his fair share's worth.


God, I hope not. He's part of the problem I have with "The Gathering", and it's bad enough I've already got problems about "The Ascending" without it actually being out yet.

I'm clinging to a slight hope that Furman won't be a fanwank and turn him into a Mary Sue.

justynnbailey wrote:I'll be fine, as long as they dont kill of Grimlock....


That's funny. I have the exact opposite belief.
Re: Simon Furman Blog Update (311939)
Posted by i_amtrunks on August 28th, 2007 @ 9:53pm CDT
Darth Bombshell wrote:
i_amtrunks wrote:I'd say a certain Dynobot may be responsible for more than his fair share's worth.


God, I hope not. He's part of the problem I have with "The Gathering", and it's bad enough I've already got problems about "The Ascending" without it actually being out yet.

I'm clinging to a slight hope that Furman won't be a fanwank and turn him into a Mary Sue.

justynnbailey wrote:I'll be fine, as long as they dont kill of Grimlock....


That's funny. I have the exact opposite belief.


Grimlock's scaly hide turning up in "the Gathering" didnt amuse me much either.

For some reason I have a feeling that we may be getting a Grimlock that takes out quite a number of enemy soldiers before biting the big one himself. Or at least seeming to.

I'm probably waaay off the mark on this, but it's just a feeling I'm getting.
Re: Simon Furman Blog Update (311955)
Posted by Darth Bombshell on August 28th, 2007 @ 9:58pm CDT
i_amtrunks wrote:For some reason I have a feeling that we may be getting a Grimlock that takes out quite a number of enemy soldiers before biting the big one himself. Or at least seeming to.


In other words, your basic Simon Furman characterization.
Re: Simon Furman Blog Update (311959)
Posted by i_amtrunks on August 28th, 2007 @ 10:00pm CDT
Darth Bombshell wrote:
i_amtrunks wrote:For some reason I have a feeling that we may be getting a Grimlock that takes out quite a number of enemy soldiers before biting the big one himself. Or at least seeming to.


In other words, your basic Simon Furman characterization.


If he only seems to die, before coming back to save Razorbeast/Lio Convoy or some important good guy, then yes, it will be your typical Furman Grimlock characterisation.
Re: Simon Furman Blog Update (311966)
Posted by Darth Bombshell on August 28th, 2007 @ 10:07pm CDT
i_amtrunks wrote:If he only seems to die, before coming back to save Razorbeast/Lio Convoy or some important good guy, then yes, it will be your typical Furman Grimlock characterisation.


Well, he kinda sorta died to save Razorbeast back in "The Gathering." Doesn't that count?
Re: Simon Furman Blog Update (311992)
Posted by i_amtrunks on August 28th, 2007 @ 10:21pm CDT
Darth Bombshell wrote:
i_amtrunks wrote:If he only seems to die, before coming back to save Razorbeast/Lio Convoy or some important good guy, then yes, it will be your typical Furman Grimlock characterisation.


Well, he kinda sorta died to save Razorbeast back in "The Gathering." Doesn't that count?


I'll count it. Close enough is good enough.
So alongside his "death" in War Within Dark Ages, we can say Grimlock has supposedly died twice already under Furman's non Marvel writing?

Third time's the charm?
Re: Simon Furman Blog Update (312255)
Posted by Sagitta on August 29th, 2007 @ 2:15am CDT
I don't read the comic series but...this sounds like a good time for tv series Rattrap to scream "We're all gonna die!"

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers Toys Optimus Prime Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Matrix Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 & Up, 11.5"" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Grotusque and Scorponok Deluxe Action Figure Exclusive Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series Number 14 Voyager Class Autobot Ironhide" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Elita-1" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Repugnus, Dastard, and Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Megatron and Doomshot" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Beast Hunters Legion Class Smokescreen Stealth Fighter Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Dead End Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Breakdown Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
Twincast / Podcast #289:
"No Thanks Given"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

New Items on eBay

Buy "Hasbro Transformers: Bumblebee Cyberverse Adventures - Repugnus Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Studio Series KSI Boss Age of Extinction" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers AOE Studio Series 43 Voyager Class KSI Boss" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers DOTM Studio Series 03 Deluxe Crowbar" on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots MORBOT Race Car Grey Purple" on EBAY
Buy "NEW Transformers Dark of the Moon DOTM Lot - JOLT- CRANKCASE" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Selects Deluxe WFC-GS21 Decepticon Sandstorm" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Galactic Odyssey Biosfera Autobot Clones MISB" on EBAY