Sneak Peek at IDW Publishing New Mini-series - Transformers: Drift

Sneak Peek at IDW Publishing New Mini-series - Transformers: Drift

Sunday, March 14th, 2010 12:10pm CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Blurrz   Views: 22,642

It's Drift time, all the time over at RyallTime, the blog of IDW Publishing's Editor-In-Chief. We get a sneak peek at Transformers: Drift, the new mini-series focusing on the sword swinging, and faction changing Transformer. Check out the preview below, and what Mr.Ryall has to say about the series.

Since Amazon.com has a listing up for the TRANSFORMERS: DRIFT TPB, it's not exactly a big secret that we're going to be doing a miniseries based around the character. The listing also details the creators, writer Shane McCarthy and artist Alex Milne (along with colorist Josh Perez), but doesn't show any cover image. So let's show a little bit here--the cover for issue 1 by Milne and Perez, and page one of issue 1 as well. The 4-issue series will be shipping bi-weekly in August and September.

Stay tuned to Seibertron.com for the fastest Transformers news on the net!

Credit(s): Chris Ryall

Re: Sneak Peek at IDW Publishing New Mini-series - Transformers: Drift (1054362)
Posted by Hard Hacker on March 14th, 2010 @ 12:19pm CDT
No no no no NO NO NO! Why?
Re: Sneak Peek at IDW Publishing New Mini-series - Transformers: Drift (1054367)
Posted by Dead Metal on March 14th, 2010 @ 12:28pm CDT
Hard Hacker wrote:No no no no NO NO NO! Why?

Because someone touched themselves at night.
Not to offend you Hacker.

And again a series which will only be cool due to it's art.

Re: Sneak Peek at IDW Publishing New Mini-series - Transformers: Drift (1054373)
Posted by Blurrz on March 14th, 2010 @ 12:35pm CDT
Like everything IDW, i'll give it a chance. I won't jump the gun because hey, this Drift backstory might be pretty well done!
Re: Sneak Peek at IDW Publishing New Mini-series - Transformers: Drift (1054376)
Posted by Nekoman on March 14th, 2010 @ 12:48pm CDT
I've never paid much attention to the comics, but I'm interested in this. I guess just another example of how I'm a deviant.

I like Drift.
Re: Sneak Peek at IDW Publishing New Mini-series - Transformers: Drift (1054380)
Posted by ShGarland_1383 on March 14th, 2010 @ 1:16pm CDT
Didn't read Spotlight: Drift, so I'm not too familiar with the character. In fact all I really know about the guy is from artwork I've seen of the character. With the attention he's gotten since word of the Spotlight came, it makes sense to me that he's getting a mini-series.
Re: Sneak Peek at IDW Publishing New Mini-series - Transformers: Drift (1054381)
Posted by Dread_Wing on March 14th, 2010 @ 1:31pm CDT
Dead Metal wrote:I'm guessing that's Drift as in his original Decepticon colours? If so I hope his toy gets repainted in those colours as I would buy that repaint.

I agree, I do not think much of his character as it is written, but a sword wielding con, maybe as Bludgeon's apprentice? That may work. For once I will say, Bring on the repaint! :CON:
Re: Sneak Peek at IDW Publishing New Mini-series - Transformers: Drift (1054386)
Posted by Cyberstrike on March 14th, 2010 @ 2:08pm CDT
Dead Metal wrote:And again a series which will only be cool due to it's art.

I wish IDW could or would fine a high-quality colorist for Alex Milne, everytime I see his artwok in color I get eye strain.
Re: Sneak Peek at IDW Publishing New Mini-series - Transformers: Drift (1054401)
Posted by Mkall on March 14th, 2010 @ 2:50pm CDT
I'll get it, it looks like a fun comic, if for nothing else than gratuitous violence and sword fighting.
Re: Sneak Peek at IDW Publishing New Mini-series - Transformers: Drift (1054410)
Posted by Aluus on March 14th, 2010 @ 3:05pm CDT
Except from what we know, it's been implied that Drift didn't start using a sword til he became an Autobot. Look at the picture closely, at his weapons. No blades at all as Decepticon Deadlock. The name alone implies he preferred firearms. I'm going to guess his role was probably more of a sniper/commando. Furthermore, his bio in the spotlight said he refuses to use a gun of any kind. Probably some form of penance for all the Autobots he killed with them. I for one can't wait to read this series. I'll be interested in seeing this 3rd faction of Cybertronians he encountered.
Re: Sneak Peek at IDW Publishing New Mini-series - Transformers: Drift (1054416)
Posted by Dead Metal on March 14th, 2010 @ 3:25pm CDT
Cyberstrike wrote:
Dead Metal wrote:And again a series which will only be cool due to it's art.

True but I think that will never happen, I think it has to do with Milne having a very "mangaish" artstyle after all that's where most of his inspiration comes from. And from experience manga only really looks good in colour if it's pastel or water colours, techni coloured high gloss manga always looks kinda off.

Maybe they should just let Milne colour the stuff himself with his markers, after all he is the "markerguru". :P
Re: Sneak Peek at IDW Publishing New Mini-series - Transformers: Drift (1054419)
Posted by Dr. Caelus on March 14th, 2010 @ 3:31pm CDT
Re: Sneak Peek at IDW Publishing New Mini-series - Transformers: Drift (1054422)
Posted by Dead Metal on March 14th, 2010 @ 3:35pm CDT
Caelus wrote:Lots of G2 guys in this one - Manta Ray, Skyjack, Ransack, the Decepticon Laser cycle (Road-pig?), and one of the Decepticon Hydrowarriors or Stormtroopers whose name I'm blanking on.

Who cares, they're G2 so they will all die, twice to make Drift look more cool.
Re: Sneak Peek at IDW Publishing New Mini-series - Transformers: Drift (1054436)
Posted by Blurrz on March 14th, 2010 @ 4:43pm CDT
His toy release along with his own comic series.. next thing you know he's going to be in TF3 and Transformers: Prime. F*ck! Atleast put a worthy character like Blurr in there. :KREMZEEK:
Re: Sneak Peek at IDW Publishing New Mini-series - Transformers: Drift (1054454)
Posted by Darth Bombshell on March 14th, 2010 @ 5:45pm CDT
ShGarland_1383 wrote:Didn't read Spotlight: Drift, so I'm not too familiar with the character.

Go here. Tells you everything you need to know, really.

ShGarland_1383 wrote:With the attention he's gotten since word of the Spotlight came, it makes sense to me that he's getting a mini-series.

No, it doesn't.
Re: Sneak Peek at IDW Publishing New Mini-series - Transformers: Drift (1054483)
Posted by Bumblevivisector on March 14th, 2010 @ 7:52pm CDT
In All Hail Megatron, before actually being addressed as "he" in his spotlight...am I the only one who thought Drift was female due to his close resemblance to the Cybertron Override repaint?
Re: Sneak Peek at IDW Publishing New Mini-series - Transformers: Drift (1054488)
Posted by OptimusShr on March 14th, 2010 @ 8:15pm CDT
Hmmm, do comics make good toilet paper?

Also since All Hail Megatron issue 6 I've only been buying the movieverse comics. Those are probably better than anything else since then. And less pain on my wallet
Re: Sneak Peek at IDW Publishing New Mini-series - Transformers: Drift (1054496)
Posted by Stormer on March 14th, 2010 @ 8:46pm CDT
Aluus wrote:I'll be interested in seeing this 3rd faction of Cybertronians he encountered.

Finally! Someone else is interested in that! I'm been saying that for months!
I'm really looking forward to seeing this - hopefully it'll take the storyline into brand new territory.
Re: Sneak Peek at IDW Publishing New Mini-series - Transformers: Drift (1054520)
Posted by T-Macksimus on March 14th, 2010 @ 10:46pm CDT
For those of you unfamiliar with the Drift character or who are new to the site or the world of TF's the only thing you really need to know about this character is that he is approached with hatred, loathing and contempt by 99% of the people on Seibertron.com. As such, anyone showing the slightest inclination towards liking this character during his brief appearance/page-time in the All Hail Megatron series is also often met with the same contempt and scorn. Best thing you could do for yourself is forget you ever read everything about this character. From personal experience, absolutely NOBODY will respect your personal decision and the myriad number of people who were complete and total ***holes to myself and a few others over the introduction of the character was what led me to leave this site for an extended period of time. If you do decide to pick up this series, for your own sake don't tell anyone about it, don't enter into any discussions, don't even think about having an opinion because everyone here will tell you your opinion is wrong.

Before anybody jumps in my grill about this maybe you better take a good look around at the attitudes of the others on this site and ask yourselves why I've been so negative lately and on so little. What started out as a great place to commune with other collectors and fans has turned into a breeding ground for conflict, hate and derision. The real pisser is that all of you have turned the Drift character into your poster-child for all of it to. Every time I see this character now all I can think about is how many of you people on this site were absolute total pricks to a small handfull of us who found something to latch onto. Way to treat your fellow Transformer fans and collectors. Real show of community spirit. You should be proud of yourselves.
Re: Sneak Peek at IDW Publishing New Mini-series - Transformers: Drift (1054559)
Posted by Oilspill on March 15th, 2010 @ 2:09am CDT
Yeah, the Drift hate is overdone. I didn't find him offensive or overused in AHM. Looking forward to the Generations toy actually.
Re: Sneak Peek at IDW Publishing New Mini-series - Transformers: Drift (1054585)
Posted by MYoung23 on March 15th, 2010 @ 6:00am CDT
Count me in the 1% of people here who don't hate Drift. Every caretaker of the Transformers mythos has been given the leeway to create new characters.

I never understood the hate and still don't. I'll take Drift 100 times out of a 100 over Botanica.

Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titan Masters Fangry Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumble Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
"No Thanks Given"
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Prime First Edition Deluxe Class Decepticon Starscream New" on EBAY
Buy "2013 SDCC Hasbro Exclusive: TRANSFORMERS VS GI JOE Jetfire" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro 2012 Transformers Generations Fall of Cybertron Soundwave Laserbeak LOOSE" on EBAY
Buy "2007 SDCC Exclusive Transformers Alternators Ford GT Rodimus MISB" on EBAY
Buy "1:24 Chevy Camaro Bumblebee Transformers Model JADA Diecast Toy Vehicle Gift" on EBAY
Buy "GI JOE 2013 SDCC JOECON SNAKE EYES!! TRANSFORMERS CROSSOVER!!" on EBAY
Buy "Bumblebee First Edition 100% Complete Deluxe Prime Transformers" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime First Edition Cliffjumper Deluxe Class RID Autobot Figure" on EBAY