Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #17, Issue #18 to Come Out on Same Day as #17

Transformers News: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #17, Issue #18 to Come Out on Same Day as #17

Thursday, April 12th, 2018 10:22PM CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: D-Maximal_Primal   Views: 12,971

iTunes has updated with a new listing in the form of a 3 page preview for IDW's Optimus Prime #17! Issue 17, set to come out next week on April 18, along with Optimus Prime #18 oddly enough thanks to a bad scheduling error as confirmed by John Barber himself, gives a look at Aileron as she recounts her story of going from a lowly citizen of Caminus to a follower of Optimus Prime, as well as what she thinks of her life going from boring to exciting while getting her best friend killed.

You can check out issue 17's 3 page preview below, BUT BE WARNED, you should not read issue 18's inevitable preview before you have actually read issue 17. So really, don't even read the preview for issue 18. Just buy it and 17 next Wednesday.

Let us know what you think of both the issue 17 preview and the scheduling conflict that has 2 issues of the same series coming out on the same day below!

John Barber wrote:I never say anything like this, but if you're reading Optimus Prime, don't look at any previews of issue 18 before you read 17... and both issues will be out next Wednesday

Credit(s): iTunes, John Barber

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #17, Issue #18 to Come Out on Same Day as #17 (1952499)
Posted by WreckerJack on April 12th, 2018 @ 10:40pm CDT
Hehe my sentiments exactly. I should probably get up to date on this comic. Have not been in a reading mood as of late.

Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #17, Issue #18 to Come Out on Same Day as #17 (1952512)
Posted by ZeroWolf on April 13th, 2018 @ 1:57am CDT
In one sense having 17 and 18 out on the same is a good thing, it's just bad having the preview out that potentially spoils the end of 17. Still will be nice to read a larger chuck of the story then we'd able to otherwise. Though the name sterling just makes me think of cars 3 which my oldest insists on watching a lot recently.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #17, Issue #18 to Come Out on Same Day as #17 (1952513)
Posted by WreckerJack on April 13th, 2018 @ 2:03am CDT
I only saw the original cars movie. I was 16 when it came out and my Grandpa wanted to take me and I was trying to make excuses not to go because I was "too old" to go to kid movies. He kept asking so I finally caved in. It was actually a pretty good movie and now that I am older I am glad I did even if I felt goofy at the time. Grandparents are limited edition. Spend time with em while you have them because you will miss them.

I might watch the sequels for old times sake at some point though.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #17, Issue #18 to Come Out on Same Day as #17 (1952541)
Posted by AlphaBass on April 13th, 2018 @ 8:14am CDT
There are many, MANY examples where the sequel surpasses the original in terms of quality.

Cars 2 is not an example.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #17, Issue #18 to Come Out on Same Day as #17 (1952543)
Posted by ScottyP on April 13th, 2018 @ 9:11am CDT
:Reads review samples that a few of us get:

Do not read even one page of 18 before 17. Don't do it. Don't do it. You'll want to but wow, indeed, don't you dare do it.

Page 1 of 18 gives you the super high level cliff's notes of 17 and you'll be pissed at yourself for checking it. Consider yourself warned, again! :)
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #17, Issue #18 to Come Out on Same Day as #17 (1952549)
Posted by KorsO on April 13th, 2018 @ 10:02am CDT
Noted ScottyP. Bout time these issues came out. Though occupied, the time gap felt like an eternity. 2 issues really does make up for it. lol
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #17, Issue #18 to Come Out on Same Day as #17 (1952845)
Posted by Va'al on April 14th, 2018 @ 1:48pm CDT
Thanks to regular source for this type of comics news Multiversity Comics, we now have the full preview for next week's issue of the IDW Publishing ongoing Transformers series Optimus Prime! Issue 17 is the one shown below, though both 17 and 18 will be released on Wednesday - and as we have told you in our previous story, avoid ALL previews for issue 18 until you've read the one below.

Check it out, and share your thoughts on where this series is leading in its penultimate arc in the Energon Pub!

[quote]Written by John Barber
Art and cover by Kei Zama
Colored by Josh Burcham
Lettered by Tom B. Long

“The Falling,” Part 3: Onyx Prime sows the seeds of chaos and panic on Cybertron as he reveals dark secrets… but nothing will prepare Optimus Prime and his allies for Onyx’s darkest revelation!

FC • 32 pages • $3.99
Variant cover by Thomas Deer![/quote]

Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #17, Issue #18 to Come Out on Same Day as #17 (1953766)
Posted by Va'al on April 18th, 2018 @ 1:44am CDT

A Prime is a Prime is a Prime
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis

“The Falling,” Interlude. All hope seems lost as Onyx Prime confronts Optimus—but why has Onyx returned? What’s his ultimate goal? Millions of years worth of mysteries are solved as the secret history of Onyx Prime is finally revealed!

and we're here to tell you

Story
If you read the synopsis section just above, you will notice that there are two of them rather than the single issue - that is because this week, and this review, has two issue of the Optimus Prime ongoing series being released by IDW Publishing. To avoid spoilers as much as possible, we decided to talk about both in the same text, and I am taking extra care to talk more about narrative and execution than plot specifically. Nothing different than usual, just a little more vagueness, if you'll bear with me.

yeah, pretty much

With that all said and out of the way, then: John Barber has decided to take a very different turn for The Falling. Weird, even. His writing hasn't shied away from time displacement and travel, black hole paradoxes, and the consequences of all of the above notions at play (just look at Syndromica and Dark Cybertron, or even Revolutionaries). But here, we reach a whole new level of temporal and narrative freedom - to varying degrees of success.

His words, not mine

In #17, the story continues, as the aftermath of Soundwave's actions in #16 is addressed and Onyx Primal gets more terrifying by the frame in his actions, words, and clear direction forward (which looks a lot like backwards). And it's a build-up that reverberates with a lot of the themes address in the series so far, with Aileron taking the narration spot and looking at the category of Primes and heroes from a vantage point, really.

which may or may not be sideways

Then we have a reveal. A big one. A narrative, time-shattering one, on the very last page. And issue #18 (aptly named Interlude) deals with this instead, charging the story being told in a way that is yes, entirely exposition, but exposition that is surprisingly well woven and doesn't feel like a pause too long or any kind of slog.

So where is the variation in the success I mention? General agreement on staff was that not everything landed immediately but, at the same time, risks were taken and the pay-off is yet fully to come with more of the arc to follow in the coming months. And the aspects played upon in these issues are not entirely out of nowhere, in Barber's repertoire and I'm very pleased with the editing assist of David Mariotte, keeping all things in check as Barber lets himself loose.

Art

In #17, Kei Zama and Josh Burcham are - I think - showing off their skills. We have a ridiculous range of emotive and dynamic in frame layouts, with interactions being silent as the overwhelming and overpowering presence of Onyx takes up most of the space. Things get out of hand, and space and colour are used to the best of their effects, with some truly incredible compositions and transformation sequences, too.

You Are (Not) Alone

In #18, Sara Pitre Durocher offers the general framework of the current events (opening and closing), along with colours by master of technicolour continuity Burcham - both of whom, together, maintain the stage in the same light and tone as the final act of the previous issue, and chillingly set up the Interlude story.

Livio Ramondelli has the main duties for the latter, and his style, once more, proves perfectly suited to the past, mythology infused Weird!Barber script. The Aligned continuity that once was part of another narrative universe definitely takes shape and form in his lines and colours, and the Primes of old can easily be identified in their rise and expansion - awingly so.

#Imperialism

There is little more that can be said about Tom B. Long's work on lettering for these books, but as Barber (and Mariotte) stick to their captioning and name tagging techniques, his fonts and placing don't skip a beat, and allow for the story - with a lot of exposition, as I said - to flow as organically as a twisted story as this one can.

The covers are multiple, and glorious, with the main ones taken care of by Zama and Burcham, including some clear lineart of Solus Prime from the former, and Casey Coller / JP Bove for issue #17's B cover (in the style of its predecessors, as seen in our database, plus the #18 Megatronus variant from Livio Ramondelli (others also in database!). But the one featured in the thumbnail is Thomas Teyowisonte Deer's gorgeous take on the Autobot leader, the Arisen, and seemingly the pivot of the entire storyline.

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

As I said above, Barber has taken the weird, paradox route, and by doing so taking some really big risks that may not please a section of the readership (and unfortunately proving some clichés about comics narratives in general in the doing, too) - but, some of those risks are still not fully revealed, and where they may not work in these issues for now, two more chapters of The Falling are still due before the final arc. In the words of Onyx, this is indeed just the prelude to the finale, and we are bound to return to its topics and characters very very soon.

I still have doubts. On everything

The multiple art teams, with Burcham working as continuity lynchpin, do some wonders with what could've been an extremely, frustratingly confusing story, and the aftermath of Onyx's arrival is dealt with in perhaps the most personal and brutal way that this series has seen this far - also partly due to Aileron's perspective, and Soundwave's involvement. I do not believe we are seeing the entire truth, yet, but next month will confirm suspicions - and let me tell you, I am buzzing.

. :BH-PREDACON: :BH-PREDACON: :BH-PREDACON: :BH-PREDACON: out of :BH-PREDACON: :BH-PREDACON: :BH-PREDACON: :BH-PREDACON: :BH-PREDACON:

Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #17, Issue #18 to Come Out on Same Day as #17 (1953773)
Posted by ZeroWolf on April 18th, 2018 @ 2:13am CDT
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #17, Issue #18 to Come Out on Same Day as #17 (1953776)
Posted by Bounti76 on April 18th, 2018 @ 2:59am CDT
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #17, Issue #18 to Come Out on Same Day as #17 (1953789)
Posted by Va'al on April 18th, 2018 @ 5:21am CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:An excellent review va'al, and it must have been hard reviewing both 17 and 18 together and fighting the urge to talk more about the bombshells of 18. I will ask this though, was there anything presented that you make will be important for unicron?

Thank you! It was less hard than I thought, given how the story is presented in #18.

As for the latter point: I actually don't. I think The Falling will lead to the Unicron event, but not in a direct manner. It'll use points that are being shown and developed here, perhaps, but nothing directly tied in, if that makes sense.

I may be entirely wrong, but that's what I think so far!
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #17, Issue #18 to Come Out on Same Day as #17 (1953792)
Posted by Randomhero on April 18th, 2018 @ 5:46am CDT
[spoiler]my jaw dropped. I haven’t been this surprised since the reveal at the end of shadowplay. Shockwave is my favorite character in every fiction so I’m bias but man...I’m extremely happh with where this is all going.[/spoiler]
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #17, Issue #18 to Come Out on Same Day as #17 (1953811)
Posted by ScottyP on April 18th, 2018 @ 7:57am CDT
Bounti76 wrote:Just read them both, and all I can think is. ...damn. I never thought I'd say this, but this is even more convoluted than the average issue of Lost Light. And I don't know if I mean that in a bad way or a good way.
It took me a few days to process it, but I think I like it. It's somewhat based on assumption that everything is still not what it seems.

I do most definitely like it when Barber gets experimental, and this arc has been stuffed full of it so far.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #17, Issue #18 to Come Out on Same Day as #17 (1953833)
Posted by Randomhero on April 18th, 2018 @ 9:22am CDT
If anyone hasn’t go to TFWIKI and read the article for number 18. It will make your head spin.

Barber told me on Twitter this is a story he’s been planting seeds in for over 4 years now and it insane.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #17, Issue #18 to Come Out on Same Day as #17 (1953837)
Posted by ZeroWolf on April 18th, 2018 @ 9:40am CDT
At least he's been given the opportunity to reap that harvest.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #17, Issue #18 to Come Out on Same Day as #17 (1953896)
Posted by Randomhero on April 18th, 2018 @ 2:09pm CDT
Just realized a few issues ago Bludgeon said his master was returning. Well...he did lol
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #17, Issue #18 to Come Out on Same Day as #17 (1953926)
Posted by AlphaBass on April 18th, 2018 @ 3:37pm CDT
Really enjoyed the review, Va'al.

I feel like this is the kind of mind-bending reveal that LL tried but failed to be able to do. I wasn't thinking of getting into OP, but after all this. I may have to change my mind.

Question - what issue is best to start from?
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #17, Issue #18 to Come Out on Same Day as #17 (1953945)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on April 18th, 2018 @ 4:57pm CDT
AlphaBass wrote:Really enjoyed the review, Va'al.

Question - what issue is best to start from?

I’ve been telling folks that they’re sleeping on Optimus Prime. This book has consistently blown LL out of the freaking water, and issues 17 and 18 are the perfect encapsulation of that.

As for the best place to start? I’d say read The Death of Optimus Prime, then go to Transformers: Robots in Disguise #1.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #17, Issue #18 to Come Out on Same Day as #17 (1953949)
Posted by Sunstar on April 18th, 2018 @ 5:08pm CDT
Wow... Quite the bombshell.

Its gonna take a while to process this.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #17, Issue #18 to Come Out on Same Day as #17 (1953963)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on April 18th, 2018 @ 6:01pm CDT
Wow, just wow.... I don't think I've ever been stunned as hard as I was here. I read that last part of 17, my jaw dropped, and I sat in silence for several minutes just staring into nowhere and thinking.

[spoiler]First off, that was an incredible job getting Shockwave in like that. And there was no clue even given this would happen, but then it did, and it makes complete logical sense. Everything about it fits, and it makes a great curveball that Barber does not use, but he killed it here.

It's awesome looking back at everything, and then you realize Shockwave basically did everything, he made the Cybertronian universe as it is. And this also makes him the oldest Cybertronian in this continuity behind only Kup, and probably the 2nd oldest Cybertronian ever between all the various continuities.

I find it kinda metal and cool and disturbing that Shockwave killed and then wore Onyx basically to set up Cybertronian history. And that everything he did helped his younger self with all of the ores and the Primes and everything. All of that, how he knew it, how Alpha Trion fit it and everything, it all works.

I also liked how we got a group shot of the Primes, and it included a bit of the Arisen. I really want to see where that goes.[/spoiler]

I love Zama's Solus cover too. That may be my favorite cover of OP so far, it's marvelous.

Finally, [spoiler]If Shockwave had won the PotP pole, I wonder if they would have done this :lol: :lol: :lol:[/spoiler]
Transformers products from AMAZON

Featured Products

Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Swindle" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Smokescreen" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #208 - Everyone Gets Counterpunched
"Everyone Gets Counterpunched"
Posted: Sunday, September 23rd, 2018
Transformers products from EBAY

Items Ending Soon

Buy "Transformers GI Joe Sky Striker Vehicle Starscream Deco/Cobra Commander 2011SDCC" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers vintage figure lot G1 G2 Guzzle, Skids, Axelerators Rapido, Skram +" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers: Cybertron Voyager Class Dark Crumplezone Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime SDCC 2011 First Edition Deluxe Optimus Prime Loose Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers ROTF Voyager Class Megatron Loose 100% Complete movie aoe dotm hftd" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers BotCon 2005 Descent into Evil Buzzclaw Loose Complete beast wars" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers 2007 Movie Deluxe Class Brawl Loose 100% Complete rotf dotm hftd" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Transformers Henkei D-03 Astrotrain Loose Complete generations classics" on EBAY