Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #2 iTunes Preview

Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #2 iTunes Preview

Sunday, December 18th, 2016 2:49pm CST

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 23,876

Via the usual iTunes screenshot uploads, we have an early look at the next issue of the new IDW Publishing Transformers ongoing series - Optimus Prime #2 - in which we meet the newcomers to Earth in their corkscrew ship. Check the three pages mirrored out below!

NEW CYBERTRON! A massive corkscrew-shaped space ship has drilled into Earth, bringing with it a surprising disruption to OPTIMUS PRIME's plans. Meanwhile—ARCEE fields a dangerous offer that may be too good to resist!

Transformers News: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #2 iTunes Preview

Transformers News: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #2 iTunes Preview

Transformers News: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #2 iTunes Preview

Credit(s): iTunes

This article was last modified on Sunday, December 18th, 2016 2:50pm CST

Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #2 iTunes Preview (1847798)
Posted by Flashwave on December 18th, 2016 @ 11:26pm CST
Slag it, I read that entire preview parsing his name as "Rum Mage" and not the blatent "Rummage" Stupid, sneaky, tricky IDW and their tricks. And pulling a Bait and Switch by showing us the years-long teased Quintesson ship and then giving us the Junkions.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #2 iTunes Preview (1847811)
Posted by Stuartmaximus on December 19th, 2016 @ 2:45am CST
Corkscrew ship? isn't that the same kinda ship that was in the original animated movie :-?
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #2 iTunes Preview (1847835)
Posted by #Sideways# on December 19th, 2016 @ 10:46am CST

But truly, I'm hoping that Wreck-Gar eventually could be the Deadpool of this universe: Breaking the fourth wall whenever possible and being rather insane comic relief.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #2 iTunes Preview (1847858)
Posted by ricemazter on December 19th, 2016 @ 1:31pm CST
#Sideways# wrote:Whew, the art is not the best. I can't tell what's happening half the time. Also, did Wreck-Gar just rip his own head off to prove a point?

I'm not sure, but I think the problem might be the coloring rather than the line work. There's barely any contrast between shades. Everything has the same lighting despite being different colors. This isn't so much a problem with characters who aren't Junkions. The other Autobots are only made up of one or two primary colors anyway.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #2 iTunes Preview (1847881)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on December 19th, 2016 @ 2:52pm CST
#Sideways# wrote:I'm hoping that Wreck-Gar eventually could be the Deadpool of this universe: Breaking the fourth wall whenever possible and being rather insane comic relief.

I kinda agree, given the vibe I'm getting from him.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #2 iTunes Preview (1849653)
Posted by Va'al on December 30th, 2016 @ 12:54pm CST
Via another surprising choice for a reveal, we have the IDW Publishing Transformers Optimus Prime #2 full issue preview. The images come courtesy of comics website Comic Crusaders, and can be seen below - head back to Seibertron.com for our review once the book is out next week!

NEW CYBERTRON! A massive corkscrew-shaped space ship has drilled into Earth, bringing with it a surprising disruption to OPTIMUS PRIME’s plans. Meanwhile—ARCEE fields a dangerous offer that may be too good to resist!

Optimus Prime #2
John Barber (w) • Kei Zama (a & c)
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #2 iTunes Preview (1849693)
Posted by Sabrewing on December 30th, 2016 @ 3:31pm CST
It becomes even better if you read it in Eric's voice.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #2 iTunes Preview (1849698)
Posted by Bounti76 on December 30th, 2016 @ 3:46pm CST
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #2 iTunes Preview (1849826)
Posted by Va'al on December 31st, 2016 @ 6:43am CST
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #2 iTunes Preview (1849974)
Posted by Va'al on January 1st, 2017 @ 11:31am CST
Let's start the new year with some contemplation and good art, with two new incentive covers for upcoming issues of IDW Publishing Transformers comics - first up, Optimus Prime #3's retailer incentive cover by Joana Lafuente, with Earth, Optimus and a lot of spaaace. Check it out below via Previews World!

Optimus Prime #3
John Barber (w) • Kei Zama (a & c)
An uneasy peace between Optimus Prime and the newly arrived Junkions is threatened by Soundwave’s discovery within their massive ship…
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #2 iTunes Preview (1850368)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on January 3rd, 2017 @ 11:27pm CST
Bounti76 wrote:I don't know.....compared from Issue #1 to this......the art style is just cluttered, there's no better word for it. There's too much crammed into every panel, too much going on to follow the narrative without multiple re-readings, etc. If it continues this way, I may just unsubscribe from the book and catch up with it on the wiki.

I'm in a similar situation with the art, it feels cluttered as you said, and not as clear as I'd like to see. it's not bad, but it feels...unrefined
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #2 iTunes Preview (1850399)
Posted by Va'al on January 4th, 2017 @ 3:17am CST
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:

Disagree, review coming up soon. :-D
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #2 iTunes Preview (1850403)
Posted by Va'al on January 4th, 2017 @ 3:42am CST
Idle Wrecks
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis

also, cameos and digs

Story

A giant corkscrew spaceship lands in the Alps. Robots with apparently, arguably, perhaps not some screws loose pop out of it. Hilarity and hijinks (your mileage may vary) ensue. And we bring back a lot of loose threads from a long, long, long time ago in this new issue of Optimus Prime. Resolutions? No, just dangling. Like bait.

baitin'

What I really enjoy about the two new characters we encounter - Junkions Rum-Maj and Wreck-Gar - is that while the latter carries across a lot of his canonical characterisation, they both also sport some sinister undertones to their easily dismissed comedy relief. Much like charming cannibalistic psychologists, perhaps, but with Eric Idle's voice stuck in your head.

or his

A point of contention, elsewhere at least, is the inclusion of GI Joe teams in the book. But this is the status of the universe, and the book does some more steps towards acknowledging the wider status of it all. Not just American settings, not just American teams, not just Americans. This feels part of that pseudo-post-colonial shift that started way back when with the colonies being rediscovered.

only took about 15 years

John Barber is doing pretty much what he wants, now that he no longer has the editorial shackles, and he can delve into older Transformers universe, both within and outside of IDW's. This is some entertaining, and successfully so, storytelling with good characters.

Art

I'll admit, I echoed some sentiments I've seen around about Kei Zama's art in this starting to look a bit more cluttered than the first issue, covers or fan art. My initial worries, however, did not last long. There may be a couple of panels which sport heavier inks (or feel that way) but they never jar with the spot-on designs and backgrounds.

and references

That is also thanks to Josh Burcham's colour wizardry, marrying the dark linework of Zama's layouts with his muted (yet somehow still vibrant - see? wizard) palette; I could not have thought of a better choice of team for any selection of Junkions. Where there might've been the risk of too dark, colours light it up. Done.

or don't, but still works

The fears I had about the art were also a little in the lettering, as lots of dialogue means lots of ballooning, means a lot of stuff in the same panel - but I should've trusted Tom B. Long, of course. Both dialogue and sound effects work, and Wreck-Gar's speech pattern is well conveyed visually too. As for covers, we've seen the main Zama/Burcham one, and I spotlighted the Casey Coller/Joana Lafuente variant in the preview. We also have another Zoner piece, featuring Arcee, and thumbnailed with this review, the Andrew Griffith/Josh Perez Rum-Maj centrepiece. Admire them all.

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

The issue is, overall, thoroughly enjoyable, much more than I initially feared I would feel about the book, from the preview. My biggest misgivings were not about the story as much as the art - as I explain above - but they were easily assuaged once you take in the whole story. There is no clutter. There is no lasting distraction.

...

What else does it bring, as well as ensuring that the mythos goes forward? Re-evaluation of both Primacy and Monstrosity, old Spotlights and -ations, Budiansky references, G1 references, early days of IDW's Robots in Disguise, i.e. Barber's best output. Until now. This is a series worth keeping at hand and in mind, and it does an excellent job of using those references as complementary, not essential.

. :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: out of :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT:
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #2 iTunes Preview (1850406)
Posted by jasonwilty on January 4th, 2017 @ 4:15am CST
Loving the story, but the art is still killing me.

I have trouble telling what's going on one panel to the next.

Not feeling this at all.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #2 iTunes Preview (1850415)
Posted by Kurona on January 4th, 2017 @ 8:11am CST
Have to say, I did enjoy Issue 2 a lot more than 1. I dunno, something about the first issue felt a bit... off, but this one is right back on track and it's already very entertaining imo.
But yeah, the art is... hm. It's more a personal hurdle for me; not that in terms of quality there's anything wrong with the style, but it's just not to my tastes so it does get in the way a little for me. Just a bit too gritty for my tastes, and maybe a bit too gritty for the story.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #2 iTunes Preview (1850452)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on January 4th, 2017 @ 12:37pm CST
Va'al wrote:
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:

Disagree, review coming up soon. :-D

You are right about it clearing up as is went, just wish that first part wasn't as clutteredish
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #2 iTunes Preview (1850476)
Posted by Tigertrack on January 4th, 2017 @ 2:00pm CST
I'm enjoying the flashback episodes more. Learning about Jetfire, and Prowl, and others. Jetfire seems so different now. I think solicits have somewhat let the cat out of the bag with the Junkions, but I'm sure there is more of a twist than seems present by those previews and covers.

I'm good with the art. It's not my total favorite, but it works. GI Joe in it took me back a step... I'm not sure I'm ready for every issue to be a GI Joe and Transformers X crossover now. Well, at least Lost Light is still safe from that.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #2 iTunes Preview (1850532)
Posted by Targetmaster Kup on January 4th, 2017 @ 7:21pm CST
No, it's not the art bothering me, it's the horrible colouring. How can anyone call that good? If I hadn't committed to buying #1-6, I'd be out already.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #2 iTunes Preview (1850551)
Posted by ScottyP on January 4th, 2017 @ 9:09pm CST
The art in this book is awesome. Must be the G2 fan in me. It's like having a refined Geoff Senior at the helm. Plus I think Barber's stories tend to work better with a unique visual identity about them. He jumps from super serious to super not often, so it helps me with those transitions better than Griffith's (very good, mind you) cleaner style did in that regard. I mean, how can you not love that last page? Soo good.

On another note, does Shockwave being in the flashback Battle of Junkion panel imply to anyone else that there was a regenesis ore there? That might be a known fact already, I just don't remember Primacy and Monstrosity well.

Tigertrack wrote:GI Joe in it took me back a step... I'm not sure I'm ready for every issue to be a GI Joe and Transformers X crossover now. Well, at least Lost Light is still safe from that.
I figured having four of the six be characters that have been around before that just now-ish became Joes (Spike, Bharwaney, Quinlan, and Josh Boyfriend) was a way of easing them in without being unrelenting about it. That said, I didn't think giving Talon the running narrator role worked for me, but I get why it's there. Just preference on that part, objectively it was fine.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Optimus Prime #2 iTunes Preview (1850557)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on January 4th, 2017 @ 10:00pm CST
I'm finding it entertaining that Jones, TC, and Buster were all on vacation together, and TC was wearing a purple visor to boot!

Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Deluxe Class Arcee Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Brawl" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #267 - Netflix Earthrise Reviewed
"Netflix Earthrise Reviewed"
Posted: Monday, December 28th, 2020

Buy "MOSC Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Bisk Lobster Crab Car MISB" on EBAY
Buy "WFC-E40 BATTLE SQUAD Transformers Earthrise Micromasters Direct-Hit Power Punch" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers SOUNDBLASTER Siege War for Cybertron MISB Walmart Exclusive Netflix" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise - Direct-Hit & Power Punch [WFC-E18]" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers thrilling 30 springer" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Powertrain & Highjump Siege War for Cybertron Micromaster 2018 MISB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers RID Deluxe Class Cliffjumper (c)2011 TOMY  RARE" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege Deluxe Bluestreak! War for Cybertron Walmart Exclusive Hasbro" on EBAY