Sneak Peek - IDW Revolution Issue #4 (of 5) iTunes Preview

Sneak Peek - IDW Revolution Issue #4 (of 5) iTunes Preview

Sunday, October 23rd, 2016 12:58am CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: D-Maximal_Primal   Views: 27,057

iTunes has provided us with a new preview, this time for Revolution #4! This sneak peak picks off right where #3 ended, and in a special way. With the silent Snake Eyes taking center stage, the whole 3 page preview is done in the "silent" form with only the art speaking for itself, and no speech bubbles to be found. It is unclear if the whole issue will follow this suit. Check out the full preview below.

SILENT INTERLUDE! One human has the skill to break into AUTOBOT CITY—but what is SNAKE EYES going to do when he finds himself face-to-knee with OPTIMUS PRIME? And outside, MILES MAYHEM and the M.A.S.K. team wait to see who walks out alive…

Transformers News: IDW Revolution Issue #4 Preview

Transformers News: IDW Revolution Issue #4 Preview

Transformers News: IDW Revolution Issue #4 Preview

Credit(s): iTunes

This article was last modified on Sunday, October 23rd, 2016 5:22am CDT

Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Revolution Issue #4 (of 5) iTunes Preview (1835817)
Posted by steve2275 on October 23rd, 2016 @ 1:01am CDT
looks great
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Revolution Issue #4 (of 5) iTunes Preview (1835846)
Posted by Kurona on October 23rd, 2016 @ 8:46am CDT
Not entirely sure how much of a fan I am of the... very heavy artistic liberties on Victorion.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Revolution Issue #4 (of 5) iTunes Preview (1835917)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on October 23rd, 2016 @ 12:46pm CDT
And poor Jazz still doesn't have a new arm
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Revolution Issue #4 (of 5) iTunes Preview (1836972)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on October 26th, 2016 @ 9:43am CDT
So, with regards to the comics that came out this week:

Transformers: good read and a nice send off to the title. Thundercracker remains a great character that I enjoy, and his little animal team was adorable. Wonder where Sunstreaker is though? But combining has made them friends, which is fun for me. the whole Dire Wraith thing felt like it came out of nowhere, but apparently Revolution #4 is supposed to help with that. the fact that so many were in the White House was an issue was well. Plus, that one dude totally had his fingers ripped off, metal. Storytelling did feel a bit rushed and there were lots of jokes, but overall I liked it.

Action Man: I thoroughly liked it. The Iron Giant made the whole comic for me honestly. Plus, we're finally getting around to the point that people are liking Transformers, realizing they are living things, and that Mayhem is slime. Plus, Action man + Kup + Mayday = revolutionaries set up. Spike and Talon felt completely useless in the story though, like they were obligated to be there but there was no effort to make them mean anything. they were just annoying and grumbling.

Both good, both somewhere between a 3 and a 4 out of 5 for me.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Revolution Issue #4 (of 5) iTunes Preview (1837437)
Posted by Va'al on October 28th, 2016 @ 1:14pm CDT
Josh Boyfriend Saves the Day
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis
THUNDERCRACKER AND BUSTER SAVE THE WORLD! A DECEPTICON who wants to be a screenwriter. A dog who wants to, I don’t know, eat stuff and chase squirrels or whatever dogs want to do. A White House under siege by DIRE WRAITHS. And the phone call that brings them all together.

Featuring: Bob

Story

I am still catching up on schedules and timings, so apologies for the slightly late review again! And, with that out of the way, a word of warning: I have not had the easiest time with this comic or its review. I spoke to other staff members, and took a look around other readers to form a better idea of it. I'm still unsure about some aspects, too. BUT - read on for more!

Buster

The Transformers ongoing dips its toes in the Revolution pool by letting John Barber bring us back to one of the unsung heroes of the series, Thundercracker - and it's definitely the most apt choice that could've been made for the setting and plot: Earth lover, dealing with Earth issues and truths and things that may not be what they seem.

D.O.C.

The device used in the script - using the infamous Josh Boyfriend screenplay as running introspective commentary - is well placed, and nicely executed. Sometimes, however, I felt like some of the action was forced for the sake of a joke or a twist in the words, and it jerked me out of the enjoyment. On the other hand, we also get some very nice Faireborn characterisation, and some good moments with sounboards Buster, DOC, Bob, too.

..and Marissa Faireborn

The plot itself, while obviously not irrelevant, is nothing to write home about, and the book truly is about Thundercracker's place in the conflict, in the story, in the factions, and in relation to the characters around him since we've seen him return in the IDWverse. But for me, sometimes, that doesn't land fantastically. Yet more thoughts below.

Art

It's good to see the other hand responsible for this incarnation of the big blue back in action on the title, and Andrew Griffith brings all of his experience into the visual side of the book, with some great layouts and accompanying presence to the wordings - including some of the human features that I still at times find a little off putting (some of the jawlines, mainly), though never too distracting.

Composition!

A relatively new colour collaborator joins Griffith on the book: Teyowisonte Thomas Deer. We've seen in on covers and in action on Till All Are One, but the style he uses with this linework is more muted, perhaps a little grittier and definitely fitting the Dire Wraiths plot side of the story - and a pleasure to watch, really. Some of the contrasts in palette are top notch.

Fonts!

Lettering wise, we also have a new name: Gilberto Lazcano. And he really does bring it all: the screenplay captions, the Dire Wraith dialogue, the differences in volume and the sound effects are incredible, and incredibly well balanced, something that is very much needed with this type of issue. And of course, we once more have a whole lotta covers, so you can pick and choose, from Matere to Griffith and Lafuente, to Christiansen to Ramondelli (thumbnailed), to Tyndall and Moss, via Coller and Bove.

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

The script device, while amusing and introspective as I said above, can also lead to some crowded panels, and the visual team are good at making sure they're not over crowded, but still. It got in the way at times, and I kept thinking something was off - though I still cannot figure out what or why (there are definitely some editing issues, that much is true).

This issue, more or less

The dialogue is good, but the words are busy; the art is busy, but it does everything pretty much right; the lettering, the colouring, the layouts are clearer than what the script might create, and the story is impacting the Revolution plot somewhat tangentially, and it leaves a great hook for Thundercracker from here on. So please bear with me as I try placing my finger on what didn't work for me.

. :SG-BOTS: :SG-BOTS: :SG-BOTS: ½ out of :SG-BOTS: :SG-BOTS: :SG-BOTS: :SG-BOTS: :SG-BOTS:
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Revolution Issue #4 (of 5) iTunes Preview (1837482)
Posted by Kurona on October 28th, 2016 @ 3:37pm CDT
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Revolution Issue #4 (of 5) iTunes Preview (1837492)
Posted by Va'al on October 28th, 2016 @ 4:00pm CDT
Kurona wrote:I loved it personally. Easily the best thing out of Revolution so far - it's funny, it advances the plot, it has characters that are fun and I actually care about, there's none of the trite let's-me-and-you-fight-over-stupid-shit-even-though-we're-obviously-gonna-end-up-allies that has made Revolution such a bad read... this is great. I loved it.

I know that's what it was, and by all means and reasons I should've loved it too. But I didn't. And I cannot figure out why. :-?
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Revolution Issue #4 (of 5) iTunes Preview (1837495)
Posted by Kurona on October 28th, 2016 @ 4:04pm CDT
Dr Va'al wrote:

I can certainly see why it'd fall flat for someone too. It has all the ingredients it needed to be great - great characters, great dialogue, great art, great... an okay story for those to play on - but it was kind of... a bit overcooked? I don't mind that because if my fish is a little burnt it's okay, but it's definitely not gonna taste as great as it could have been.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Revolution Issue #4 (of 5) iTunes Preview (1837498)
Posted by Va'al on October 28th, 2016 @ 4:12pm CDT
Coming next week is the fourth part in IDW's multifranchise crossover Revolution, and we have Snake Eyes and what's left of G.I. Joe taking centre stage, and some odd timeline clashing (as the GI Joe one-shot hasn't happened yet) - check out below the full preview for Revolution #4, via Newsarama (kinda), and head back here for review after its release!

Revolution #4 (of 5)
Cullen Bunn & John Barber (w) • Fico Ossio (a) • Tradd Moore (c)
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
Variant cover by Ken Christiansen, part of a 13-part connected cover!

Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Revolution Issue #4 (of 5) iTunes Preview (1837515)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on October 28th, 2016 @ 5:08pm CDT
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Revolution Issue #4 (of 5) iTunes Preview (1837526)
Posted by Deadput on October 28th, 2016 @ 6:12pm CDT
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:I really don't like the art that much here. I was ok with it at the beginning but Arcee oh Arcee

Yeah to me Arcee's face looks like an angry man with lick stick here with this art.

I mean I guess she was a man (Thanks Simon Furman) but still.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Revolution Issue #4 (of 5) iTunes Preview (1837530)
Posted by BombshellDaBug on October 28th, 2016 @ 7:17pm CDT
Can we just agree that we're all ready for Revolution to be over at this point?
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Revolution Issue #4 (of 5) iTunes Preview (1837531)
Posted by Kurona on October 28th, 2016 @ 7:21pm CDT
BombshellDaBug wrote:Can we just agree that we're all ready for Revolution to be over at this point?

Kinda... but at least the upcoming MTMTE and Windblade Revolution one-shots look nice. Soothes the pain.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Revolution Issue #4 (of 5) iTunes Preview (1837731)
Posted by CaptainMagic on October 29th, 2016 @ 8:43pm CDT
I reread the Thundercracker issue again today, and I figured out what's off about it (at least for me). Simply put, Thundercracker and Faireborn are DICKS in this issue. We've definitely seen both of theses characters being rude, sarcastic, and generally pretty antagonistic to everyone around them, but they still usually come across as two of the more genuinely 'good' characters in the series. In this issue, they are too concerned with joking around and being clever, to the point where they both needlessly endanger other people just to set up a joke.

The review mentions that the script spends goes too far out of its way to set up clever moments, but I think it's even worse than that, because the characters are the ones doing that. I don't like TC just because he's funny; I like him because he's pretty much the only Transformer who really cares about people, and it's a shame to see Barber forget that in one of his most important moments in the spotlight.

That being said, I do agree that this is easily the most entertaining thing that Revolution has produced so far, and I do love the cheesy jokes even if they are off-putting.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Revolution Issue #4 (of 5) iTunes Preview (1837760)
Posted by Va'al on October 30th, 2016 @ 3:10am CDT
You may have a point or several there, CaptainMagic! :-?
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Revolution Issue #4 (of 5) iTunes Preview (1837770)
Posted by Va'al on October 30th, 2016 @ 5:39am CDT
Another comic due next week is the one-shot issue of Transformers: Till All Are One, part of IDW's Revolution franchise crossover event, as written by regular Mairghread Scott and featuring art by Naoto Tushima! Check out the full preview below, and head back here for a review after its release.

Transformers: Till All Are One: Revolution #1
Mairghread Scott (w) • Naoto Tsushima (a) • Sara Pitre-Durocher (c)
WINDBLADE ON EARTH! The mysterious link between METROTITAN and MICROSPACE threatens to tear two universes apart, and only WINDBLADE has a chance to heal the Titan… and there she learns a terrifying secret that changes the stakes of the REVOLUTION.
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
Bullet points:
· Only WINDBLADE can heal the ailing TITAN—but what is his secret?
· Featuring OPTIMUS PRIME, ROM, and much, much more!
· Variant cover by Ken Christiansen, part of a 13-part connected cover!

Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Revolution Issue #4 (of 5) iTunes Preview (1837778)
Posted by Kurona on October 30th, 2016 @ 8:14am CDT
Oh shoot.

Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Revolution Issue #4 (of 5) iTunes Preview (1837785)
Posted by Hydrargyrus on October 30th, 2016 @ 9:13am CDT
Kurona wrote:Oh shoot.

This might be one of the few interesting things in the Revolution, based on what I've gathered.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Revolution Issue #4 (of 5) iTunes Preview (1837786)
Posted by Kurona on October 30th, 2016 @ 9:15am CDT
MagicDeath wrote:
Kurona wrote:Oh shoot.

Micronauts and the Thundercracker one-shot are the only things worth it so far imo. TAAO and MTMTE are promising to me, though - admittedly mostly because both books have been tremendous so far imo.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Revolution Issue #4 (of 5) iTunes Preview (1837871)
Posted by Hydrargyrus on October 30th, 2016 @ 7:43pm CDT
Kurona wrote:
MagicDeath wrote:
Kurona wrote:Oh shoot.

Well, I generally don't read the comics (Although I do like what I've read about them), and I'm too young to remember when these franchises started, so...

What I was getting at was that a good amount of the revolution has not been well-liked, and an obscure reference is always usually a good sign.

You probably figured as much with that last bit, though.

Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Class Armada Megatron Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Steeljaw Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight 1-Step Turbo Changer Cogman" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
"No Thanks Given"
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Netflix Megatron With Skelivore War for Cybertron New Sealed In Box" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Scourge/Sweeps Body Part, Right Side Shield" on EBAY
Buy "Armada of Cyclonus Scourge Sweep Set of 3 | Transformers Platinum Edition Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "2017 Transformers Collertors Club TFSS Series 5.0 Shattered Glass Starscream" on EBAY
Buy "G1 transformers Diamond Select bust Coronation Starscream 445/600 broken read" on EBAY
Buy "NEWinbox "Armada of Cyclonus" Hasbro Transformers 3pc Set Cyclonus+Sweep+Scourge" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers 2021 Buzzworthy Bumblebee Robot Action Figure - F1288" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Buzzworthy Bumblebee Studio Series #40BB Deluxe Decepticon Shatter" on EBAY