Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 iTunes Preview

Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 iTunes Preview

Thursday, December 4th, 2014 5:18pm CST

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 27,911

More quick IDW Publishing news, in the form of three more pages from an upcoming Transformers comic. This time, it's issue #2 of the Drift: Empire of Stone miniseries. Check out the mirrored images below, via iTunes bookstore!

ONCE A DECEPTICON! DRIFT’s past comes back to haunt him, as RATCHET tries to drag him back to the Lost Light. But alone on a far-off world, DRIFT’s honor demands he stand his ground!

Transformers News: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 iTunes Preview

Credit(s): iTunes

Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 iTunes Preview (1627155)
Posted by K2vox on December 4th, 2014 @ 5:30pm CST
Ratchet, haven't you read the G1 comics??? Don't start s**t with Megs!!!
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 iTunes Preview (1627156)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on December 4th, 2014 @ 5:32pm CST
That's not Megatron, that's Gigatron.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 iTunes Preview (1627179)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on December 4th, 2014 @ 6:22pm CST
I always knew there'd be a reason to hold on to that RID Megatron figure.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 iTunes Preview (1627184)
Posted by Randomhero on December 4th, 2014 @ 6:56pm CST
Nemesis Maximo wrote:I always knew there'd be a reason to hold on to that RID Megatron figure.

YUP!!!! Time to take him out of his RiD box(tub in storage) and put him on the classics/IDW shelf with pride.

I don't know why some people are asking for a new classics/generations figure. He's the same as the damn original toy. Go get him off eBay. He's cheap.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 iTunes Preview (1627296)
Posted by Randomhero on December 5th, 2014 @ 8:41am CST
This series is pretty good starting off. It's not world building like the others which is not what it's intending to do. It's just a mini series. I enjoy Shane McCarthy for the most part. Just as long as he doesn't do anymore interviews. Good guy just says the wrong stuff and comes off as a jerk.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 iTunes Preview (1627307)
Posted by jogunwarrior on December 5th, 2014 @ 9:26am CST
I should really go track down a RID Megatron/Gigatron figure on eBay now.

Also, I would love for Hasbro to retool Drift into Deadlock, he looks awesome like that.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 iTunes Preview (1627321)
Posted by Randomhero on December 5th, 2014 @ 10:07am CST
jogunwarrior wrote:I should really go track down a RID Megatron/Gigatron figure on eBay now.

I'd even spend the money on a tfcc recolor of deadlock. I like Drift. Always have. I never joined the bandwagon of hate all because McCarthy, Hasbro and IDW over sold him but he was a big deal! New character in G1. That was a thing. He's never done anything wrong in the stories and I don't hold it against him for over commercializing him.

I liked Drift from the beginning and his figure was one if the coolest from 2010 generations to me. Need to get my hands on the SG Deadpool recolor
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 iTunes Preview (1627392)
Posted by ZeroWolf on December 5th, 2014 @ 2:27pm CST

Oh and the best drift writer is James Roberts.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 iTunes Preview (1627395)
Posted by JazZeke on December 5th, 2014 @ 2:31pm CST
ZeroWolf wrote:To be fair he wasn't the first new character in G1 and there's been far better additions like Rung and Tailgate. I'm cautious about this series, all hail Megatron beat that into me.

Oh and the best drift writer is James Roberts.

Rung > Drift times infinity
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 iTunes Preview (1630350)
Posted by Va'al on December 16th, 2014 @ 2:35am CST
The mystery of the Empire of Stone continues, as Drift and Ratchet face an old but new threat in this week's second issue of the mini-series - check out a full preview below, and come back later this week for the Seibertron.com review!

Transformers: Drift—Empire of Stone #2 (of 4)
Shane McCarthy (w) • Guido Guidi (a & c)
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
The fan-favorite Transformers character returns!
Ties in directly with MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE!

Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 iTunes Preview (1630385)
Posted by Optimizzy on December 16th, 2014 @ 8:33am CST
Still no name given on Megatron/Gigatron in the comic. And how many times is Drift going to have to say he's not Deadlock? Erg.

Giga-whatsit-tron: "So Deadlock, is the war over" (important question)

Drift: "I told you I'm not Deadlock" (ignores)
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 iTunes Preview (1630397)
Posted by Va'al on December 16th, 2014 @ 9:41am CST
Optimizzy wrote:Still no name given on Megatron/Gigatron in the comic.

Second panel on the first page, Turmoil calls him Gigatron! :D
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 iTunes Preview (1630409)
Posted by jogunwarrior on December 16th, 2014 @ 9:57am CST
I'm liking this preview better than the last. Gigatron looks sweet! Despite my initial reservations, I'll pick this up in trade.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 iTunes Preview (1630410)
Posted by Optimizzy on December 16th, 2014 @ 9:59am CST
Va'al wrote:
Optimizzy wrote:Still no name given on Megatron/Gigatron in the comic.

Second panel on the first page, Turmoil calls him Gigatron! :D

Ah! I missed that! Thank you.

Good, now it's official.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 iTunes Preview (1630454)
Posted by Samsonator on December 16th, 2014 @ 11:29am CST
Kinda wanna slap some Con stickers on my RiD Megatron's shoulderpads now...
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 iTunes Preview (1630525)
Posted by Optimizzy on December 16th, 2014 @ 2:56pm CST
Yeah. But this art makes it look way better than it is IMO.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 iTunes Preview (1630556)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on December 16th, 2014 @ 5:27pm CST
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 iTunes Preview (1630628)
Posted by Shuttershock on December 16th, 2014 @ 10:08pm CST
Gigatron: "Muhahaha! With this hidden cache of Rock Lords at my beck and call, I shall conquer the UNIVERSE! What do you think of that, Deadlock?"

Drift: "I'm not Deadlo-"

Gigatron: "SILENCE!"
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 iTunes Preview (1630881)
Posted by Va'al on December 17th, 2014 @ 1:52pm CST
SW's SilverHammer wrote:I'ght, so I just thought of something, looking through windblade #4. What if, bear with me, ratchet Drift and Gigatron, are near one of the lost colonies mentioned in windblade #4, because I think, there was a colony of micromaster combiners mentioned.

They were indeed, and I am pointing that out in the review too! :D
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 iTunes Preview (1630981)
Posted by Va'al on December 17th, 2014 @ 6:03pm CST
..And Whose Army?
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis

Pfft, honor

Story

You now, Drift - was Deadlock, but would rather not be reminded; was a Decepticon, see above; part of the Lost Light, then self-exiled; feels guilty about everything since pretty much forever, so heads off to be the Batman/Robin Hood of the galaxy. Why am I repeating this? We are not being allowed to forget what Drift's past is, nor his own guilt.

You tell him, Ratchet

In this second issue, though, what I am left wondering is - will the retreading of Shane McCarthy's initial pitch, with the layers of characterisation given to Drift since All Hail Megatron, actually lead to something other than unspoken guilt, unreasonable bravado and a penchant for lost causes?

Even Gigatron gets it

Don't get me wrong, there are some very good interactions in the issue, and some of characters have a fair deal of personal creation and minor development - but there is a constant feeling of something still missing in a series that is promising so much to start with, and already in the middle of its run.

Do you?

I don't mind the dialogue, though I'd like to see more of it, and I like most of the characters that McCarthy is setting up in the miniseries, from the Stone whatevers to the Micromasters (mentioned in Windblade, too), the brief return of Turmoil and the magnificence of Gigatron. But it needs more to keep us in.

Art

Now, the art is great. It was good, if not entirely apt, when the team of Guido Guidi and Steve Baskerville were working together on ReGeneration One, but it's really good in this contemporary setting - there's a sense of grit, chunky big hulks of rock in the designs of the blockier types of characters we've encountered, and that's before we even see a Stone Army.

And faces..

Of course, the feeling of dust, dirt and stone would not be complete without the magnificently painted work of JP Bove. If the bulk of the rocky art comes from the pencils and inks, the layer of grit and sand is definitely in the colours. And it's tasty grit with crunchy bits thrown in for good measure, and great lighting as the icing on top.

..all the faces

And Tom B. Long gives us a double-whammy this week, by showing his fingers in the fonting, lettering and sounding of the pages of McCarthy's script, and giving some gravitas to the dialogue where needed. The two covers are also quite a thing to look at, dealing with the duality of Drift's character in the main Guidi/Josh Burcham one, and his conscience in the Alex Milne/Josh Perez variant (thumbnail).

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

Much like its preceding issue, Empire of Stone is taking its time to really kickstart its proper plot, and might get on the bad side of some readers used to the tighter stories of the two current ongoings. The stories that are there don't have more than some references, but the characters' different voices ad their interactions can, for some, make up for it.

I am hopeful

On the visual side, we have a similar concentration of silent action sequences (and pretty good ones too) to the first issue in the miniseries, and probably something we should expect for the following two issues. Fortunately, the artistic team is magnificent at conveying the ruggedness of this side of the galaxy, and we can revel in the eye candy.

. :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: - out of :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT:

Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Autobot Ratchet" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Megatron and Doomshot" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
"No Thanks Given"
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Netflix Megatron With Skelivore War for Cybertron New Sealed In Box" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Scourge/Sweeps Body Part, Right Side Shield" on EBAY
Buy "Armada of Cyclonus Scourge Sweep Set of 3 | Transformers Platinum Edition Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "2017 Transformers Collertors Club TFSS Series 5.0 Shattered Glass Starscream" on EBAY
Buy "G1 transformers Diamond Select bust Coronation Starscream 445/600 broken read" on EBAY
Buy "NEWinbox "Armada of Cyclonus" Hasbro Transformers 3pc Set Cyclonus+Sweep+Scourge" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers 2021 Buzzworthy Bumblebee Robot Action Figure - F1288" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Buzzworthy Bumblebee Studio Series #40BB Deluxe Decepticon Shatter" on EBAY