Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 iTunes Preview

Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 iTunes Preview

Thursday, May 12th, 2016 4:19am CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 23,327

Via your friendly neighbourhood multimedia monopoly iTunes, we have the usual three-page preview of upcoming issues from IDW Publishing - and we start with Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye #53, mirrored below for your viewing convenience

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT part 4! Twilight’s last gleaming! The end is nigh. No chance of escape. No last-minute reprieve. But nothing loosens the tongue like imminent death, and the crew of the Lost Light use their final hours to say what—until now—was unsayable.

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 Discussion Thread

Credit(s): iTunes

Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 iTunes Preview (1788875)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on May 12th, 2016 @ 5:29am CDT
Commandeering the DJD's ship? Sounds like something Rodimus would do...
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 iTunes Preview (1788895)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on May 12th, 2016 @ 7:36am CDT
Did Ratchet really mean to say "hands closed and eyes tied behind my back?" cause if he did, that's funny.

At least we now know the messages are Drift's idea, and I feel something has to go wrong, like stormshield failing and DJD at the ready for the messages to actually be read.

I'm also still waiting to see the effects of Tarn killing Kaon. I think Deathsaurus will abandon Tarn and Overlord will just ignore him. :MAXIMAL:
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 iTunes Preview (1788896)
Posted by Ironhidensh on May 12th, 2016 @ 7:41am CDT
So. Tailgate is going to give them all a power boost. :-?
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 iTunes Preview (1788897)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on May 12th, 2016 @ 7:50am CDT
Ironhidensh wrote:So. Tailgate is going to give them all a power boost. :-?

I don't think he really can just being there. I'm thinking it means that when he went supernova, he gave everyone nearby a boost. This is what kept Cyclonus alive and also made the security team sick as they weren't prepared for a boost like that, similar to us crashing after drinking lots of energy drinks so to speak. And Chromedome is ill because he injected right after, also boosting him in a similar manner.

At least, that's my original thought. Subject to change and most likely wrong anyway. :MAXIMAL:
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 iTunes Preview (1788910)
Posted by Microraptor on May 12th, 2016 @ 9:06am CDT
So is this implying the Pet is sentient? Or is Rodimus just stupid?
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 iTunes Preview (1788944)
Posted by RevTibe on May 12th, 2016 @ 10:08am CDT
Microraptor wrote:So is this implying the Pet is sentient? Or is Rodimus just stupid?
I think he just assumed The Pet was a Ravage-type Transformer.

(The fact it's not actually a Sparkeater supports the idea that the only 'real' Sparkeater was the one made through time travel + Brainstorm's odd gun.)
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 iTunes Preview (1788953)
Posted by Randomhero on May 12th, 2016 @ 10:53am CDT
RevTibe wrote:
I think he just assumed The Pet was a Ravage-type Transformer.

It's a mutated/rabid turnofox. They've been regarded as none sentient. Similar to animals. There's alive but no sparks, they can't pass the Ambus test
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 iTunes Preview (1788993)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on May 12th, 2016 @ 1:30pm CDT
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 iTunes Preview (1788995)
Posted by Va'al on May 12th, 2016 @ 1:35pm CDT
Nemesis Maximo wrote:I have a feeling that killing Kaon was harder on Tarn than he's letting on right now. It seemed rather out of character for him, considering the good working relationship he seems to have with the rest of the DJD. It was as if he just did it to get Overlord to shut up and take him seriously.

I'd agree on that. Not much for the out of character - I don't think it was that much, he's done worse, much worse to others - but for the rest of the comment. The point, though, is whether Overlord actually cares enough to take anyone seriously. I mean, they're both ego-tripping Megatron fanboys. It would almost be funny if they weren't horrifying murderers.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 iTunes Preview (1789002)
Posted by RevTibe on May 12th, 2016 @ 1:50pm CDT
Wouldn't call offing Kaon out of character, just a surprise. Although Tarn isn't a perfect fit for the archetypes we normally associate with moody characters, he certainly has a mercurial streak a mile wild - almost tearing Tesarus's face off for questioning him, the suddenness of his switch from trying to take his own life in reaction to Megatron's betrayal to organizing an army in reaction, his little performance with Blip...

It's funny, Tarn and Overlord are quite distinct personalities, love/hate thing with Megatron aside, but they do share that fickle nature.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 iTunes Preview (1789029)
Posted by Randomhero on May 12th, 2016 @ 2:35pm CDT
I can see what you mean with tarn. I am just so fed up with him I'm losing something interest in the DJD and Tarn. I don't even care about who he tuned out to be anymore. He's a walking contradiction of every word that comes out of his mouth and I'm just done with this story arc. Megatron getting blasted at point blank only for ratchet to fix him like new and that fact the first page showing his vitals as fine made me go "well what was the point of that now?"

I'm going to be bummed if part 4 is everyone just sitting in a room AGAIN only for the issue to end with the shield going down and everyone charging to the sanctuary and it's a finall panel of surprised and grim faces on everyone in there. Remain in Light all over again.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 iTunes Preview (1789034)
Posted by RevTibe on May 12th, 2016 @ 2:43pm CDT
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 iTunes Preview (1789043)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on May 12th, 2016 @ 3:07pm CDT
Dr Va'al wrote:

Maybe not out of character, but still a surprise to not only the readers, but Nickel and the rest of the DJD as well. But I will in turn agree that Overlord either doesn't care enough to take Tarn seriously, or he knows that Tarn did it just to get him to take his seriously, and still doesn't care. Either way, he doesn't care so I guess the distinction is moot. But isn't his ability that he knows what makes a person tick? So maybe he's using it on Tarn.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 iTunes Preview (1789045)
Posted by Randomhero on May 12th, 2016 @ 3:09pm CDT
Overlords return will only make me happy if he's actually playing the DJD and he's actually going to help the autobots. Far f&$@ing fetched but at least it'd be interesting.

Let's be honest this still a complete no win scenario. 4 DJD members, 500+ decepticons and a phase sizer who had the complete capacity to kill an army and has. The DJD have already murderd almost everyone in that room once.

I'm looking at the whole picture here and all I can say is "this is stupid. This is a stupid story." I really wish I could find enjoyment in this story but I don't see how it's going to end in the autobots favor because for all intended purposes, for everything getting thrown at them they can't win. This story should end with everyone dying but we know it doesn't.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 iTunes Preview (1789048)
Posted by Randomhero on May 12th, 2016 @ 3:20pm CDT
RevTibe wrote:Yeah, agreed that everyone regrouping and recovering (well, except Kaon) in their respective bases gives a "1 step forward, 1 step back" vibe. Although the returns of Ratchet, Drift and Overlord weren't necessarily expected, they didn't provide much dramatic weight to the story, so it seems like a bit of a waste that a portion of the past two issues was arranged to give a dramatic setup those two moments.

Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 iTunes Preview (1789155)
Posted by ricemazter on May 12th, 2016 @ 8:14pm CDT

Yes, yes to both of these. Initially, I was quite fond of him, but this is just exhausting, and the introduction of overlord, at first shocking, made me roll my eyes once he decided to buddy up with the djd. The deck is so stacked against the lost light crew here that it's hard not to imagine some deus ex machina dancing in during the finale to take care of everyone's problem. The one way I can see this getting interesting, save overlord pulling a double cross, is if Deathsaurus, everyone remembers him hanging around right?, gets fed up with tarn and turns on him. I remember him saying that the only reason he joined the djd in the first place was because Tarn didn't treat his underlings as expendable the way Megs did. Heck, maybe this could turn into a commentary on how Tarn is making the exact same mistakes Megatron did. However, I'm not going to hold my breath.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 iTunes Preview (1789166)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on May 12th, 2016 @ 8:52pm CDT
Dr Va'al wrote:they're both ego-tripping Megatron fanboys. It would almost be funny if they weren't horrifying murderers.
This made my day.

Anyway, as for the outcome of this confrontation, it does look like no way out for the Autobots, but doesn't Megatron still have 1 of Brainstorm's briefcases? Also, I think the outcome will hinge on the big reveal of Tarn's identity. It will either stun the rest of the DJD and maybe even Overlord enough for the Autobots to take the upper hand, or Tarn will actually turn on the DJD, because has Va'al pointed out, he's a Megatron fanboy. He will follow Megatron, even if Megatron crosses over. So this might end up the Autobots and Tarn (and possibly the rest of the DJD) against Overlord. Now, THAT would be a hell of a fight, as well as a Hail Mary twist by Roberts to save this quickly-deteriorating story arc. Or, very far-fetched, the Newly-Duly-Appointed Enforcer of the Tyrest Accord, Fortress Maximus, shows up out of nowhere to finish his payback to Overlord for what he did to him in LSoTW. Also a Hail Mary, and possibly total cop-out. Either way, I think the outcome will be overshadowed by the revelation of Tarn's true identity, even if we all have a good idea who it might be.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 iTunes Preview (1789185)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on May 12th, 2016 @ 9:23pm CDT

But, what if this is not meant to come to a big all out fight? What if, with the hint in the preview, it comes to the autobots essentially sneaking around in the dark to find the ship, steal it, and escape, picking up the organics along the way? that is far more reasonable than the fight, and it would place more emphasis on individual confrontations rather than total war.

Just a thought :MAXIMAL:
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 iTunes Preview (1789194)
Posted by RevTibe on May 12th, 2016 @ 9:42pm CDT
Randomhero wrote:It just comes down to the fact that James is writing this like a tv series and not a comic book. The pacing of a comic book is not the same as a show. It's not. That is why sometimes MTMTE can fall flat because it's pacing is just all over the place. Sometimes a two issue story should just be one or be spread it to three or four.
I dunno, I've often got the impression that the storytelling styles of episodic TV and episodic comics share a lot in common (this being part of what contributed to season 1 of Walking Dead's success). They seem to share similar strengths, tropes and failings, and unfortunately the past two issues have fallen on the limp "This Changes Everything!" cliche to try and add a bit of drama - surprise character appearances that don't influence the balance of power, severe injuries that are quickly fixed etc.

I agree that the TV series-comparable moments are weaknesses, but I think those weaknesses are par for the course in comics too.

Rodimus Prime wrote:Anyway, as for the outcome of this confrontation, it does look like no way out for the Autobots, but doesn't Megatron still have 1 of Brainstorm's briefcases?
You knowwww, the only reason Swerve was able to make the Swearth projection was due to his tampering with the briefcase creating a timey-wimey loop that supercharged his holomatter wotsits. Could theoretically give a 'bot a boost...

Rodimus Prime wrote:Or, very far-fetched, the Newly-Duly-Appointed Enforcer of the Tyrest Accord, Fortress Maximus, shows up out of nowhere to finish his payback to Overlord for what he did to him in LSoTW.
We saw Fortress Maximus on Luna 1, Prime's Earth Autobots, Starscream on Cybertron, and the Scavengers all receive the crew's distress signals three weeks after they were recorded. Unless the conflict on the Necrobot's planet drags itself out for three weeks, we won't be seeing any of them interfere.

That said, Firestar and the Vis Vitalis are still out there. The choice to not have them join the Lost Light was odd, the author's justification a bit flimsy, Drift/Ratchet have showed us that nearby ships can received distress signals in a timely manner, and Nautica's expressing regret over not addressing some form of relationship specifically when mentioning the process of moving from Best Friends to Robot Married...
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 iTunes Preview (1789195)
Posted by Randomhero on May 12th, 2016 @ 9:44pm CDT
D-Maximus_Primal wrote:We keep saying that the autobots are very outnumbered and basically should be dead.

Just a thought :MAXIMAL:

I don't know man. This is the DJDs swan song. This is the confrontation everyone has been waiting for for 4 years? 50 issues? This is the "finale to season two". I don't see the DJD surviving this and coming back again. They don't belong in this era anymore. The war is over and it's time to get rid of this group of monsters because their cause is gone. We know that Tarn is all about the Decepticon idealism but here's the thing: There's no actual Decepticons anymore. That's the big picture about this era now. There's hundreds on Cybertron either living in peace with everyone or living in a ghetto bitter over losing. Or you have galvatrons handful that wants to just conquer earth OR you have soundwave's group who are kind of in denial and believe in the cause but just want to be left alone. Technically the entire Decepticon faction would be on 'the list'

Seriously I just want the DJD gone and forgotten and get back to the original DJD that Simon Furman created back in the -ation. Remember them?! BANZAITRON AND THE DECEPTICON SECRET POLICE! Where the hell are they?!

Seriously if there's one Decepticon that could actually rally the cause and possibly return as a legitmare threat and not some over powered contradiction that leads of group of characters that don't even have character themselves its Banzaitron.

Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Sawback" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
"No Thanks Given"
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

Buy "POO SHAM; Transformers BotBots 2018, Toilet Troop" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations War for Cybertron Earthrise Trailbreaker Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots: Meet High Tide [Passport to Reading]" on EBAY
Buy "Unopened Hasbro 1992 Transformers Generation 2 Decepticon Swindle" on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots Brushfire" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Fall Of Cybertron Sideswipe Deluxe Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers TAKARA TOMY GENERATIONS DECEPTICON OUTCAST MAGNIFICUS From JP TGHB" on EBAY
Buy "2012 Transformers Generations Grimlock Fall of Cybertron" on EBAY