Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #2

Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #2

Wednesday, May 7th, 2014 11:16am CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 20,536

Courtesy of the amazing Mariel Romero over at IDW Publishing and her generosity, we get an iTunes three-page preview for the second issue of Transformers: Windblade! Check out the images below, featuring artwork by Sarah Stone and writing by Mairghread Scott, and some old friends of ourszz, too.

Transformers News: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #2

Transformers News: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #2

Transformers News: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #2

Credit(s): Mariel Romero, iTunes

This article was last modified on Tuesday, May 13th, 2014 12:01pm CDT

Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #2 (1571964)
Posted by gothsaurus on May 7th, 2014 @ 11:37am CDT
Have to say, Windblade has been a STUNNING comic. The stylized, very artful style was a happy surprise. Huge props to Sarah and the team. Art, color, composition, story have all been really stellar. I'll definitely be continuing with the title.

The characters have been refreshing and original. Story has immediately gotten my attention and left me wanting more — as Windblade is checking out the dark basement of Metroplex. Huge props.

:APPLAUSE:
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #2 (1571965)
Posted by Mindmaster on May 7th, 2014 @ 11:38am CDT
Really digging the conflict between Starscream and Windblade.

Man, I really need to get into comics... :BANG_HEAD:
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #2 (1571984)
Posted by Optimizzy on May 7th, 2014 @ 1:24pm CDT
Mindmaster wrote:Really digging the conflict between Starscream and Windblade.

Man, I really need to get into comics... :BANG_HEAD:

I just really started reading them (the IDW) after a long absence and they are phenomenal. I heartily recommend them.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #2 (1571992)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on May 7th, 2014 @ 2:02pm CDT
It makes me all giddy! Although, Blurr's face was a little too 'O' shaped for me when he "spoke slowly", but I love the spacey feel the colors give the book.

I also find it disturbingly awesome how Starscream keeps getting uncomfortably close to Windblade. He's just so bad at being seductive...or is he actually just that good?
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #2 (1571993)
Posted by Flashwave on May 7th, 2014 @ 2:03pm CDT
Optimizzy wrote:
Mindmaster wrote:Really digging the conflict between Starscream and Windblade.

Man, I really need to get into comics... :BANG_HEAD:

And also available online if getting paper is the hold up. ;)
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #2 (1572001)
Posted by gothsaurus on May 7th, 2014 @ 2:18pm CDT
I have to say, the IDW have been hit as miss with me. While most of the limited series have been spot on amazing — art, story, characters, etc. — some of the main comic line has been off-putting for me. (Mostly the RID series.)

So much of the characterization is exactly opposite... almost like it's a deliberate (and cheap) flip flop:

Bumblebee: playful youth scout VS Autobot leader with an old man cane
Arcee: caring mother figure for humans VS vengeful assassin experiment
Perceptor: brilliant scientist VS sniper killer
Optimus: strong leader and father figure VS wussy unsure & shirks role and responsibility
Megatron: military minded dictator VS Op's bro and new Autobot recruit + freedom fighter in early Cybertron
Sunstreaker: vain dude VS headmaster drone army

I know it's their prerogative, but there has been so much flip-flopping I just have to roll my eyes at it. #-o

I also didn't like killing off a Constructicon. No Devastator combination now. Terrible decision.

I HAVE loved all they've done with various minor characters to develop them into new fan favorites. (Swerve, Whirl, Topspin, Twin Twist, Guzzle, Ironfist, Pyro, Overlord...)

There has been a lot of great stuff... enough to balance out the odd Robots in Disguise snafus... and leave a very positive impression of IDW. Definitely worth getting into, especially if you can pick and choose your books in the TPB.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #2 (1572011)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on May 7th, 2014 @ 3:12pm CDT
Nemesis Maximo wrote:

If he starts straight up groping, it's game over man :lol:
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #2 (1572057)
Posted by Tigertrack on May 7th, 2014 @ 6:42pm CDT
gothsaurus wrote:

Prowl's characterization has been insane. Thanks to that they can still form Devastator!
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #2 (1572089)
Posted by Twitchythe3rd on May 7th, 2014 @ 8:34pm CDT
WASPINATOR! He survived Dark Cybertron!
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #2 (1572120)
Posted by T-Macksimus on May 7th, 2014 @ 9:47pm CDT
gothsaurus wrote:I have to say, the IDW have been hit as miss with me. While most of the limited series have been spot on amazing - art, story, characters, etc. - some of the main comic line has been off-putting for me. (Mostly the RID series.)

Bumblebee: playful youth scout VS Autobot leader with an old man cane
Arcee: caring mother figure for humans VS vengeful assassin experiment
Perceptor: brilliant scientist VS sniper killer
Sunstreaker: vain dude VS headmaster drone army

A lot of what they have done is to purposely get away from the G1 typecast of 30 years ago. I'm glad to see them do it. I also have to say that your comparisons are awfully "black & white". The generalizations don't quite do justice to the characters. I'm not trying to be a prick here (I never try, it just happens naturally) because you did sum them up very succinctly, I just want the folks who maybe haven't delved into the IDW world quite yet to realize that there is some back story they need to catch up on as to why the characters are the way they are now as opposed to the G1-ish characters they may be familiar with. I'm sure folks will be quite shocked if they just dive in head first with no warning.

I have to say that I'll be quite interested in seeing where this series goes. It certainly is taking all of 'Screamers "charming" traits and amplifying them. (If he were any more of an ***hole, I might actually have to start taking notes on how it's done)
I can't wait for Starscream to make that one step too far, to say that one wrong word or do that one wrong deed that pushes Windblade just a hair past her breaking point. It will be epic indeed!
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #2 (1572307)
Posted by DeadCaL on May 8th, 2014 @ 2:09pm CDT
The more I read of MTMTE and Windblade, the more generic RiD feels. It's kind of like experiencing something that's perfectly 'OK' for a while, then being shown exactly how good it 'could' be from a fresh perspective.

There's nothing technically bad about RiD, but it is very standard comic book faire. The story boils down to robots punching each other, then drama, then more punching. I'm liking the character and flair of the other 2 series much more.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #2 (1572934)
Posted by Moonshot on May 10th, 2014 @ 10:17pm CDT
I think this preview has sold me on getting Windblade comics. I held off initially because it was just a 4 issue run but it seems really good. Been reading RiD and MtMtE the whole time and I am thinking the storyline in Windblade will continue in a regular series whether its called Windblade or not.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #2 (1573267)
Posted by gothsaurus on May 12th, 2014 @ 9:09am CDT
Yeah, Moonshot, you should totally bite. It's been a great so far. Art is refreshingly stylized — quite beautiful. Story is intriguing. Characters interesting. I'd certainly recommend.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #2 (1575097)
Posted by Va'al on May 18th, 2014 @ 3:38am CDT
While we wait for this week's release of IDW Transformers: Windblade issue #2, Amazon.com have uploaded a listing for the collected trade paperback of the mini-series (for now) by Mairghread Scott and Sarah Stone. It will apparently be released on 14th October 2014, and is currently priced at $14.04, with 104 pages. A coincidence? Quite probably. There is no image as yet, so enjoy the four Sarah Stone covers once again below!

In the aftermath of Dark Cybertron, Windblade takes the planet by storm! But where did she come from - and what does her secret mean to the future of the Transformers?

Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #2 (1575152)
Posted by STngAR on May 18th, 2014 @ 10:25am CDT
I really hope we are still going to get the toy of her. Also I like all the art work we've seen so far.

:MAXIMAL:
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #2 (1575196)
Posted by RiddlerJ on May 18th, 2014 @ 1:45pm CDT
I predict that the last issue will have Starscream and Windblade slapping each other, then embracing in a passionate kiss.

Or have I been watching too many Cheers episodes again. :oops:
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #2 (1575667)
Posted by Va'al on May 20th, 2014 @ 2:58am CDT
One new comic coming out this week with IDW Publishing, and it's the second issue of the Transformers: Windblade mini-series, part of the Dawn of the Autobots era! Check out the full preview below, and head back here tomorrow for the Seibertron.com review.

Transformers: Windblade #2 (of 4): Dawn of the Autobots
Mairghread Scott (w) • Sarah Stone (a & c)
CYBERTRON UNDER FIRE! Someone is out to kill WINDBLADE—but discovering who means turning to some less-than-savory ’Bots. Can WINDBLADE trust her informants enough to stake her life on them? And who will she turn to when the events of DARK CYBERTRON come back to haunt them all?
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
DAWN OF THE AUTOBOTS continues!
What is the secret history of WINDBLADE—and what does that mean for the future of Cybertron?
Variant Cover by Marcelo Matere!

Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #2 (1575673)
Posted by Dr. Caelus on May 20th, 2014 @ 3:58am CDT
This comic fascinates me to no end - they're playing with themes of patriarchy and gender-based inequity in a context where sexuality is (supposedly) not an issue, raising a lot of questions about the dynamics between the characters (specifically, Starscream and Windblade). It's interesting to read this, and ponder how many preconceptions are painted onto the situation by the reader, and how many actually come from the writer.

That part where Starscream prods her injury made me wince, but it also made my skin crawl. While the pain from the newly repaired wound was tangible, I know that the creepiness I felt came with the dominating violation of personal space. I also appreciate that Windblade's predicament is socially generated. Starscream's bigger than her, but he's not Overlord - if he'd done something like that to Arcee she would have torn him apart, and Windblade (being a main character in a Transformers comic) could probably tear him apart too, but she's putting up with all of it because he's protected by the society they're operating within.

So, it doesn't stand as an example of gender inequity (with only two women on Cybertron, that doesn't really make sense), but it serves well as an allegory for it.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #2 (1575729)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 20th, 2014 @ 9:09am CDT
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #2 (1575743)
Posted by ILL-Star on May 20th, 2014 @ 10:12am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:Who's that guy with the body-type (or at least the head design) of Prime Beat hunters Deluxe Ratchet?

That's Longtooth. He's a Cameraman for Circuit.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:EndoftheBeg ... gtooth.jpg

Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
"No Thanks Given"
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

Buy "Transformers G1 THRUST Vintage Generations One 1985- Nosecone defect-" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations FOC Fall Cybertron Deluxe Vortex (Bruticus) 100% Comp" on EBAY
Buy "NEW IN-HAND Transformers Generations Kingdom Ultra Magnus War for Cybertron " on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Bumblebee Cyberverse Adventures Dinobots Unite - ThunderHowl" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Legends LG-15 Nightbird Shadow (not Arcee) MISB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Legends LG-12 Windblade MISB (Takara Tomy)" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Ultimate Gift Set (Combat Hero Optimus Prime, Jazz)" on EBAY
Buy "2014 Transformers Combiner Wars HUFFER Complete with Cardback and Instructions" on EBAY