Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Page Art Process

Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Page Art Process

Monday, August 10th, 2015 11:18am CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, People News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 27,565

Via the official Transformers Facebook page, we get a three-times one-page preview of the next issue in the Transformers: Windblade ongoing series from IDW Publishing. The three images are the process of Corin Howell's pencils and inks and Thomas Teyowisonte Deer's colours, as they achieve the final pre-lettering look for the Council of Worlds. Check them out mirrored below!

Windblade and Starscream aren’t just fighting for allies on Eukaris, they’re fighting to stay on the planet. Check out this sneak peek of Windblade #6 from IDW Publishing.

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Discussion Thread

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Discussion Thread

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Discussion Thread

Credit(s): Transformers Facebook

Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Page Art Process (1717069)
Posted by MrBlack on August 10th, 2015 @ 12:29pm CDT
I always love seeing these, because they establish just how much of a collaborative process comic art creation is. The penciller generally gets the most credit, but it's the inker that brings order and detail to the work, and the colorist which adds depth and texture.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Page Art Process (1717097)
Posted by megatronus on August 10th, 2015 @ 2:15pm CDT
Finally, the Mistress of Flame returns!
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Page Art Process (1717214)
Posted by Va'al on August 11th, 2015 @ 3:25am CDT
Anyone looking for an actual preview for the upcoming IDW Transformers: Windblade #6? Mariel Romero delivers again, uploading three beast-tastic pages to iTunes, as the TF universe encounters some 20 year old friends... Check it out below!

Also, take a look at some rough pencils for Priscilla Tramontano's cover art, which eventually became the cover from a different angle used in this story's thumbnail, featuring Chromia, Windblade and an Unknown Flying Beastie.

BEAST WAR! On EUKARIS, the colonists are more than just robots in disguise—they're whole new breeds of Transformers! But while WINDBLADE and STARSCREAM struggle to gain allies on this brave new world, an ancient power seeks to force them off the planet!

Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Page Art Process (1717215)
Posted by Windsweeper on August 11th, 2015 @ 4:26am CDT
Interesting...
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Page Art Process (1717219)
Posted by Fires_Of_Inferno on August 11th, 2015 @ 4:54am CDT
Heeheehee

*poof!*
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Page Art Process (1717227)
Posted by bluecatcinema on August 11th, 2015 @ 7:27am CDT
So Eukaris is split into four tribes. And not a hint of the word "Maximal" just yet, I noticed... And Blackarachnia is some kind of soothsayer. That's new.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Page Art Process (1717240)
Posted by Black Bumblebee on August 11th, 2015 @ 9:06am CDT
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Page Art Process (1717242)
Posted by Down_Shift on August 11th, 2015 @ 9:20am CDT
Still not feeling this art style.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Page Art Process (1717248)
Posted by Munkky on August 11th, 2015 @ 10:28am CDT
Down_Shift wrote:Still not feeling this art style.

Same. On one hand I'm happy that more of the characters I grew up with are being re-introduced in modern fiction, but on the other hand I don't like that those characters are appearing in Corin Howell's art style. It looks more like a fan-made web-comic than an official publication.

With that said, I'm surprised to see Beast Wars characters as obscure as Manta Ray (whose only toy came with McDonald's Happy Meals!) and Transmetal 2 Sonar, and Airazor's headcrest going *poof* like a real bird's when she's agitated is a nice touch. This is the first time since the Council of Worlds storyline began that I've actually been interested in one of the colony worlds. But with only two issues to go before Windblade Volume 2 ends it's looking like Eukaris' society and culture won't be explored very much, and most of it will just be summarised in a big exposition dump like the one last issue, where Moonracer just flat-out explains the ins and outs of Velocitronian society in a few sentences, and we don't really get to see much of it.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Page Art Process (1717259)
Posted by o.supreme on August 11th, 2015 @ 11:25am CDT
Black Bumblebee wrote:Please don't have messed up Blackarachnia's personality... please, oh please....

Why not... MTMTE totally messed up Japanese characters such as Star Saber and Dai Atlas.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Page Art Process (1717265)
Posted by Shuttershock on August 11th, 2015 @ 11:39am CDT
Munkky wrote:
Down_Shift wrote:Still not feeling this art style.

I agree. I'm finding this Colony Worlds arc to be a bit insubstantial. Velocitron was two issues and then we're off again. Feels like we're getting the theme park experience is all I'm saying.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Page Art Process (1717280)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on August 11th, 2015 @ 12:10pm CDT
I'm excited for this one. Really excited. Beast Wars!! :BOT:
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Page Art Process (1717286)
Posted by Dr. Caelus on August 11th, 2015 @ 12:18pm CDT
Outcasts, hm? So Tigatron and Airazor have probably been shunned by their respective clans for having an interracial relationship...
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Page Art Process (1717290)
Posted by Shuttershock on August 11th, 2015 @ 12:22pm CDT
Kind of wondering if these beastformers are linked to Onyx Prime. Like maybe Onyx brought Eukaris here or something.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Page Art Process (1717416)
Posted by OptimusPrimeval on August 11th, 2015 @ 7:34pm CDT
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Page Art Process (1717571)
Posted by Munkky on August 12th, 2015 @ 9:15am CDT
OptimusPrimeval wrote:Whilst I'm over the moon to finally have a continuity start in G1 and get all the way to some proper Beast Wars, I'm not feeling that recordicon-looking art style. It's done the long-awaited introduction of some favourite characters a disservice! I mean, who doesn't list Manta Ray and Sonar among their most anticipated Beast era toys/characters to return? It's a real missed opportunity.

The Windblade comic does like to emphasise how gynocentric (made by women, for women, about women) it is, and it wouldn't surprise me if Scott or someone else in IDW genuinely believes the LIE that comic, gaming and geek culture is a misogynistic boy's club that excludes women. Having read a few of her Tumblr posts and interviews, Scott strikes me as the kind of writer who cares more about equality and diversity in entertainment than she does about story and characterisation.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Page Art Process (1717674)
Posted by Optimizzy on August 12th, 2015 @ 6:18pm CDT
ok...Im chiming in here.

Im not particularly pleased with how the beast wars are being incorporated here. Its very slapdash. And I agree with the "lets put some more fembots here" Airazor and Blackarachnia are fine, but Sonar? Nah. Its a bit much. I mean, I'm all for awesome characters being female, I'm not that ok with having to deal with uninteresting character BECAUSE they are female. I would have preferred a different character as more iconic, but it is cool that they are being represented. As long as she makes them interesting.

Anyway, I don't really like the way this world works. Velocitron had an interesting environment that was out there and crazy this...

...what, they are tribes? separated by what kind of ecosystem they live in? I'm bored.

and I hate that. I should be uninterested. I have been waiting for an IDW incorporation of Beast Wars for a while and this is sub-par. Maybe it gets better, but I'm seeing less quality with these issues.

I guess expectations are what's getting me...and they were high expectations. But shouldn't I have high expectations at this point?

I mean, it doesn't seem bad, not even a little bit. It just seems...meh.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Page Art Process (1717681)
Posted by Optimizzy on August 12th, 2015 @ 6:40pm CDT
and another thing... ;)

The whole thing about female fans for female fans, well, jeez I hope not. I never thought of the Windblade series as anything like that. I enjoyed the first series immensially and have been following this one but it's starting to sour. If this was written in this way to appeal to female fans...that's kinda sexist. Female fans want quality too, and their tastes are as varied as male fans as assuming a HUGE population of fans will like a particular thing "just because" is stupid. So I really hope that wasn't the goal.

Honestly, I think this series was probably supposed to go a lot longer. Then got shortened. That probably messed up Scott's story planning and she had to truncate much of the arcing stories. That's what I'm guessing cause there is no way this was planned like this.

I really hope all these are are quick introductions and we can see some different teams flesh them out. Maybe a 4 part on Velocitron and likewise on Eukaris. That would be awesome and all would be forgiven.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Page Art Process (1717688)
Posted by megatronus on August 12th, 2015 @ 7:12pm CDT
Munkky wrote:I get the impression that Manta Ray and Sonar were picked specifically because they're female, and not really because they're interesting or well-liked characters. You can easily replace them with Terrorsaur and Depth Charge in that scene and it wouldn't change much. Mairghred Scott seems to have a major thing for female representation in comics, she's even said on her Tumblr that she writes Windblade specifically for the female fans. To be clear, I have no problem with female characters (Airazor was one of my first Transformer toys when I was a kid) or female fans (so long as they leave their identity politics at the door, same goes for male fans).

Honestly, if inserting DepthCharge and Terrorsaur wouldn't change the scene much, why even comment on that choice?

I hope you realize that, just by making that comment you are (perhaps unwittingly) bringing your own identity politics into the conversation. There's a really good reason why it's important for women to have a voice in an area where they are typically underrepresented, such as comics. The status quo is by default male-oriented. Instead of bashing the 'identity politics' of a woman writer, maybe we should be more welcoming of her unique perspective.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Page Art Process (1717690)
Posted by megatronus on August 12th, 2015 @ 7:21pm CDT
Optimizzy wrote:ok...Im chiming in here.

I mean, it doesn't seem bad, not even a little bit. It just seems...meh.

Optimizzy wrote:and another thing... ;)

You're making this lengthy judgement on the material based on 3 preview pages...

I don't see this as 'Beast Wars' so much as the appropriation of Beast Wars characters. We saw the same thing with Velocitron and the presence of Moonracer and Knockout.

The uninteresting characters aren't uninteresting because they're female; they're uninteresting because they are cameo, throwaway characters (probably). Making them male does not automatically put a point in the 'interesting' column. Actually, besides for Fateweaver, we have a 1:1 ratio male and female characters. Is there something necessarily wrong with that?

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Menasor Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Costanza Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Steeljaw Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers B1798AS0 Warpath Figure Combiner Wars" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #287 - Pulse Con 2021
"Pulse Con 2021"
Posted: Monday, October 25th, 2021

Buy "Transformers DOUBLE PUNCH Botcon Japan Exclusive The Evil Predacon Limited" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War For Cybertron Soundblaster Black 35th Anniversary Hasbro WFC" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots SALVAGE Garbage Truck Figure Hasbro Playskool Heroes" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers 2005 BotCon Decent Into Darkness Ricochet" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS RESCUE BOTS BLADES (Shark Sub Variant), Rare Shark Sub Capture 2015" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Wheelie" on EBAY
Buy "NEW Transformers Optimus Prime MEGA AXE ATTACK Bumblebee Cyberverse Adventures" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return SLUGSLINGER w/ Caliburst 2017 Figure MOSC in USA G1" on EBAY