Some Hasbro Exclusives Are Now Only Purchasable Through Crypto Currency

Some Hasbro Exclusives Are Now Only Purchasable Through Crypto Currency

Monday, October 25th, 2021 3:00pm CDT

Categories: Toy News, Company News
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 37,894

Yeah, you thought getting exclusives was already hard enough at times, but you seen nothing yet! A few days ago, Hasbro announced their first NFT, as they said they would (which yes, goes against their claims to be environmentally friendly). However, what is new here is that this NFT purchase is the only way to get an exclusive. For this first outing, it is a special edition Dino Megazord. The NFT itself costs $200 but you can then redeem the token you get for the actual toy. And yes, since this is part of a blockchain, you have to have the digital wallet that goes with this blockchain. While this was not a Transformers toy, we wanted to give you a heads up at the new kind of currency Hasbro is now accepting in case it happens with a Transformers exclusive next. This will also create a change in the secondary market for collectibles since the NFT component could likely be sold again, meaning the same product would have a digital and physical secondary market. Also, this NFT is sold out.

In any case, here are the details below from Hasbro Pulse. Once again, this was just a heads up to Hasbro's new endeavour since it definitely changes things:

The first-ever Hasbro NFT, part of the WAX Blockchain
Available for purchase from 10/22/21 – 10/24/21 (Only available to US customers. Subject to availability. Limited quantities. While supplies last. Limit 1 per customer.)
Redeem your code on Wax Platform from 10/25/21 – 10/31/21
You will receive the digital token only if the NFT is in your Wax Wallet by 10/31/21 at 11:59PM EST
WAX account required, see FAQ for more information
Includes: 1 Unique NFT, 1 digital Power Coin Token redeemable for 1 Special Edition Dino Megazord with 10 accessories

Transformers News: Some Hasbro Exclusives Are Now Only Purchasable Through Crypto Currency

Credit(s): Hasbro Pulse

This article was last modified on Monday, October 25th, 2021 8:43pm CDT

Re: Some Hasbro Exclusives Are Now Only Purchasable Through Crypto Currency (2119509)
Posted by Mindmaster on October 25th, 2021 @ 3:12pm CDT
When they first announced this being announced as I was watching it live, I rolled my eyes and threw up in my mouth a little bit. So much for being environmentally friendly I guess. I’m more afraid of what this means for my other interests in addition to Transformers… I want nothing to do with NFTs, just gimme the stupid toy. :BANG_HEAD:
Re: Some Hasbro Exclusives Are Now Only Purchasable Through Crypto Currency (2119512)
Posted by TulioDude on October 25th, 2021 @ 3:38pm CDT
Selling the toy through a websiter is already enogh.
Re: Some Hasbro Exclusives Are Now Only Purchasable Through Crypto Currency (2119513)
Posted by Flashwave on October 25th, 2021 @ 3:43pm CDT

Wouldn’t box tops just be easier? :???: :SICK:
Re: Some Hasbro Exclusives Are Now Only Purchasable Through Crypto Currency (2119515)
Posted by william-james88 on October 25th, 2021 @ 3:46pm CDT
TulioDude wrote:I hope this doesn't caught on.It's like a toy designed to be sold only to small circle of people.
Selling the toy through a websiter is already enogh.

I just find the rigamarole really dumb here. So you get an NFT (including getting a digital wallet and having to maintain that) only to then redeem a token for the physical toy. Why?????? Are you spending more than you would because you have to buy an NFT first, so is the megazord not worth 200$?? This is all so odd. Usually, the whole thing with Crypto is that it remains on the blockchain, but the blockchain aspect remains only temporary in this case. Or is that not the case and part always remains online? I just don't get this whole thing.
Re: Some Hasbro Exclusives Are Now Only Purchasable Through Crypto Currency (2119518)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on October 25th, 2021 @ 3:51pm CDT
Re: Some Hasbro Exclusives Are Now Only Purchasable Through Crypto Currency (2119521)
Posted by william-james88 on October 25th, 2021 @ 4:03pm CDT
-Kanrabat- wrote:Then, it fail miserably because no one have a clue what the hell this is all about.

It was a success, sold out.
Re: Some Hasbro Exclusives Are Now Only Purchasable Through Crypto Currency (2119522)
Posted by Hokutron on October 25th, 2021 @ 4:07pm CDT
Re: Some Hasbro Exclusives Are Now Only Purchasable Through Crypto Currency (2119524)
Posted by Blastback on October 25th, 2021 @ 4:11pm CDT
Flashwave wrote:So let me see if I get this. For $200 I buy a ticket to redeem for one toy and a digital receipt that is worth fake digital money. I can then present that for said toy and then sell the receipt because for some reason that is worth money also?

Wouldn’t box tops just be easier? :???: :SICK:

couldn't have said it any better. :BANG_HEAD:
Re: Some Hasbro Exclusives Are Now Only Purchasable Through Crypto Currency (2119528)
Posted by william-james88 on October 25th, 2021 @ 4:19pm CDT
Hokutron wrote:Everyone’s off about the NTF thing and I’m just over here like, that megazord is barely worth $60 bucks. I think I remember 200 being the equivalent release price of the SoC megazord...

SOC megazord release price was $300. Also, I think this one has more parts due to higher articulation (though material and paint apps are probably lower quality).
Re: Some Hasbro Exclusives Are Now Only Purchasable Through Crypto Currency (2119530)
Posted by Mistaken_Table on October 25th, 2021 @ 4:32pm CDT

1. They accept the NFT and make a single toy then and there.
2. Accept the NFT and send the exact reserved toy that's been sat in a warehouse for years.
3. Neither of the above. The toy has been out of stock and out of production for 20 years so your crappy fake bitcoin no longer has any value, let alone enough value to incentivise Hasbro to fire up an archived set of molds to produce 1 unit. They already got the money for the toy they didn't make at Pulsecon '21 when they sold the fake voucher.

I will say though, whoever buys into this is getting what they deserve, whether its a cool black and gold Series 1 Megazord or a voucher that may or may not be worth a Megazord for an undeterminable amount of time depending on how the other vouchers are being used.
Re: Some Hasbro Exclusives Are Now Only Purchasable Through Crypto Currency (2119531)
Posted by ScottyP on October 25th, 2021 @ 4:34pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:

It was a success, sold out.
We will be the architects of our own demise :(
Re: Some Hasbro Exclusives Are Now Only Purchasable Through Crypto Currency (2119535)
Posted by Noname on October 25th, 2021 @ 4:58pm CDT
Mistaken_Table wrote:What I'm wondering is how long can the NFT be exchanged for the toy? What if someone buys the NFT 2nd hand in 20 years then goes to Hasbro to redeem it?

1. They accept the NFT and make a single toy then and there.

It states "Redeem the digital token for the ZAP Special Edition Dino Megazord between 11/1 and 11/8 at 11:59PM EST" So you and the customer better be quick if they want to redeem it for the toy.

This whole thing is horrible. They better never do it for TF, ML, or G I Joe.
Re: Some Hasbro Exclusives Are Now Only Purchasable Through Crypto Currency (2119542)
Posted by Mistaken_Table on October 25th, 2021 @ 5:12pm CDT

Oh god I didn't see that! Who would even take the NFT option then?

So the point of an NFT is just a cryptocurrency. THIS cryptocurrency starts at $200 on November 1st and will be permanently worth $0 on November 9th. What does Hasbro expect to happen in those 8 days? How does anyone make any money off this? Granted Hasbro proffs for every unredeemed voucher, but even then was it worth all the fuss?

Either they are testing the water with NFTs and this is already a written off short-term proof of concept or someone needs to explain NFTs to Hasbro...
Re: Some Hasbro Exclusives Are Now Only Purchasable Through Crypto Currency (2119543)
Posted by ZeroWolf on October 25th, 2021 @ 5:16pm CDT
Mistaken_Table wrote:

Oh god I didn't see that! Who would even take the NFT option then?

I don't think it matters since it's sold out.

Re: Some Hasbro Exclusives Are Now Only Purchasable Through Crypto Currency (2119545)
Posted by william-james88 on October 25th, 2021 @ 5:29pm CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:No matter how much I read about NFTs I just can't get my head around them and wonder if the perceived advantages of cryptocurrencies is worth the environmental effects...

I have never seen any evidence that it is.
Re: Some Hasbro Exclusives Are Now Only Purchasable Through Crypto Currency (2119546)
Posted by Mistaken_Table on October 25th, 2021 @ 5:34pm CDT
I don't think it matters since it's sold out.

NFTs are literally just renamed cryptocurrency, which are stocks in something that DOESN'T EXIST. The currency's value is determined by how much someone is willing to pay for it. Bitcoin got famous and popular so people charged a lot for it. And it sold, making it valuable.

What I don't get here is how does a customer use this NFT? They would need to sell it for more than they paid for it within those 8 days. How much more valuable could it get in 8 days? Just insta-redeem, wait 'til November 9th and charge whatever you want for the actual figure.

As for the environmental ramifications, would I be right in saying there are none for this specific NFT? It can't be generated as there is an exact amount of figures with a coin each. And after 8 days the NFT gets Thanos'd, leaving only the redeemed figures and the money from the sale of the NFTs be it from Hasbro or from 8 days of secondary market sales.
Re: Some Hasbro Exclusives Are Now Only Purchasable Through Crypto Currency (2119547)
Posted by Cyber Bishop on October 25th, 2021 @ 5:42pm CDT
.... My head is spinning... can't grasp concept.. Brain is too old... ugh
Re: Some Hasbro Exclusives Are Now Only Purchasable Through Crypto Currency (2119552)
Posted by Evil Eye on October 25th, 2021 @ 6:04pm CDT
Nice to see Hasbro has gotten into the latest Big Tech money laundering scheme. And by "nice" I mean "abhorrent".
Re: Some Hasbro Exclusives Are Now Only Purchasable Through Crypto Currency (2119553)
Posted by Burn on October 25th, 2021 @ 6:09pm CDT
People seem to be a bit confused by this ...

You give Hasbro $200.

In return, Hasbro gives you a NFT.

Provided you don't on-sell the NFT before October 24, you would then receive a token/digital code.

You then redeem that token for a physical toy.

You still have the NFT which you can then on-sell to some other idiot who believes paying money for a JPG with a little bit of extra code in it is a brilliant idea.

The idea behind crypto-currencies is a good idea, unfortunately with every man and his dog(e) getting on board it's reaching the point that the good idea is being defeated. More so with the introduction of NFT's which at the end of the day, is more about big corporations trying to get their share of the second-hand market each time something is sold.
Re: Some Hasbro Exclusives Are Now Only Purchasable Through Crypto Currency (2119554)
Posted by ScottyP on October 25th, 2021 @ 6:22pm CDT
Are we sure it sold out, or has the order window closed so they just labeled it as such? Check the bullet list, says only available 10/22 - 10/24 https://hasbropulse.com/products/power- ... o-megazord

I'm really just hoping it didn't sell well at all, which would hopefully dissuade them from trying this bull with TFs.

Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 20 Costanza Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
"No Thanks Given"
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Titans Return MINDWIPE & VORATH Deluxe Headmaster Opened" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations - Starscream, Optimus Prime, Rodimus Prime - NEW" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Bumblebee Cyberverse Adventures Bundle" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Decepticon Blitzwing" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Octone Hasbro Voyager Octane Figure Triple Changer" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Legends Class Rumble/Frenzy Incomplete #RIBFIR" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Legends Class Laserbeak 100% Complete" on EBAY