Transformers News: Studio Series 38 Bumblebee Movie Optimus Prime Out at Select Stores in the US + New Pics

Friday, February 8th, 2019 12:23PM CST

Categories: Toy News, Sightings
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 21,879

Several Americans got their hands on the most wanted figure of the year so far, Transformers Studio Series SS 38 Optimus Prime, from the Bumblebee movie. This is a complex voyager class figure featuring Optimus in his new more G1 inspired design as seen in the Bumblebee movie. This means the shipping date has passed and it can appear anywhere, anytime from now.
For now, it has appeared in comic book stores, like Fantastic Collectibles in North Carolina, and, more nationally, those who preordered from Entertainment Earth are receiving their shipments. Matthewrex on our boards has shared his experiecne getting this toy as well as some images. We also have more images from the Play with Photography Toy Blog.

matthewrex wrote:It seems the Entertainment Earth "TRA GEN STUDIO SERIES VOYAGER HERO" was indeed SS38 Optimus Prime (Bumblebee). My delivery got here today and I'm blown away! Really impressive figure. Haven't opened Rampage yet, but Optimus looks great. His left leg is a little loose but I put a little nail topcoat in the joint and it helped.

Included a box shot. Considering this was just solicited for "April 1"... it sure got here quite early! April fools?
_________

Just got done transforming him to alt mode and back. Definitely a bit more complicated than the WFC: Siege Optimus. I actually got a bit stuck and had to retrace my steps, etc. Some of the pieces (namely in the legs) don't snap as snugly/securely as I'd prefer, but overall I'm still really impressed. I think his Alt mode actually looks really great, and manages to be larger than Siege Optimus - ditto for his robot mode.

I think this is a great mix of live action / G1 Prime. Up until this I thought Siege Prime might have been my favorite in a while - but something about this Bumblebee version is really doing it for me!

Album: https://imgur.com/a/zND8g0E

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Studio Series 38 Bumblebee Movie Optimus Prime Out at Select Stores in the US + New Pics (2008968)
Posted by carytheone on February 8th, 2019 @ 12:45pm CST
Prime's looking good; sorry wallet :(
Re: Studio Series 38 Bumblebee Movie Optimus Prime Out at Select Stores in the US + New Pics (2008970)
Posted by ZeroWolf on February 8th, 2019 @ 12:47pm CST
Re: Studio Series 38 Bumblebee Movie Optimus Prime Out at Select Stores in the US + New Pics (2008972)
Posted by blackeyedprime on February 8th, 2019 @ 12:57pm CST
No insignia seems a bit odd, but can't really remember the near enough minute he was in the Bee film, Still undecided on this as it looks a bit blocky but might be better than having to cut the kibble off of a siege Prime.
Re: Studio Series 38 Bumblebee Movie Optimus Prime Out at Select Stores in the US + New Pics (2008973)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on February 8th, 2019 @ 12:59pm CST
I wouldn't fault anyone for choosing to make SS-38 their Optimus Prime of choice for their Classics G1 displays. Even with the more detailed movie aesthetic, the figures is a gorgeous interpretation of G1 Optimus Prime. All that extra detail might even fit in with the greebling that's so prevalent on a lot of the new SIEGE figures.
Re: Studio Series 38 Bumblebee Movie Optimus Prime Out at Select Stores in the US + New Pics (2008974)
Posted by carytheone on February 8th, 2019 @ 1:01pm CST
ZeroWolf wrote:I really didn't care about dragging G1 into the bee movie...but...that Optimus looks the business. Looks like a fun toy to play with and pose.
He's a bit of an anomaly as far as movie Primes go, but looks like a fun and interesting figure. I don't really go for the standard movie Prime look so he'll be replacing EMOP as my movie prime and will be spending some time next to SS VDub Bee in a spotlight display.
Re: Studio Series 38 Bumblebee Movie Optimus Prime Out at Select Stores in the US + New Pics (2008978)
Posted by truegrit on February 8th, 2019 @ 1:12pm CST
Re: Studio Series 38 Bumblebee Movie Optimus Prime Out at Select Stores in the US + New Pics (2008983)
Posted by YRQRM0 on February 8th, 2019 @ 1:53pm CST
truegrit wrote:Seeing this toy reminds me how there was absolutely no issue with Optimus having a faceplate in the movie, in terms of understanding what was said and being able to emote.

Eh, did he really emote though? He looks a little concerned when Soundwave shows up, but otherwise not much. I think the first 3 TF movies have a bit more emotion, namely him getting upset about Sentinel turning on them.

Something about this Prime is just a bit off to me, but I'm glad everyone else is enjoying him. I might still get him, but I'm not blown away like everyone seems to be.
Re: Studio Series 38 Bumblebee Movie Optimus Prime Out at Select Stores in the US + New Pics (2008987)
Posted by Cyberpath on February 8th, 2019 @ 2:52pm CST
He looks great and I want one right now!

This is how he should have looked like in the first five films IMO.

HasTak used the AoE truck though, instead of the more accurate model from "Bumblebee", but still good.

I like that the figure also kind of works as a CHUG.
Re: Studio Series 38 Bumblebee Movie Optimus Prime Out at Select Stores in the US + New Pics (2008991)
Posted by EvasionModeBumblebee on February 8th, 2019 @ 3:13pm CST
With NYTF coming up soon, what's everyone expecting/hoping for for Studio Series reveals?

I'm really just hoping we'll see leader class DOTM Prime, anything else is a bonus.

I would love a reveal for a new Camaro Bee too, but considering we've got 2 new Bumblebees just hitting shelves I think it'll be a little while before we get one.

Edit: On a side note, I'm really hoping DOTM Prime has the gold/orange on the front of the truck.
Re: Studio Series 38 Bumblebee Movie Optimus Prime Out at Select Stores in the US + New Pics (2008995)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on February 8th, 2019 @ 3:52pm CST
Re: Studio Series 38 Bumblebee Movie Optimus Prime Out at Select Stores in the US + New Pics (2008998)
Posted by metalogan on February 8th, 2019 @ 4:13pm CST

Agreed 1000% . Part of the stoic mystique of the character was to give him the solid " poker face" . I love the eyes.. Prime always had a concerned or compassionate look to the eyes. It was subtle but carefully and thoughtfully designed. When his eyes did emote in G1, it was for a reason.

I just wrote on another thread how everything that is animated CGI or otherwise emote too much. From Shrek, to Yoda to the new Transformers cartoon. It , to me, is cringeworthy. People don't look like that, except people that work at Applebees. Smirks, Eye rolls, or one eyebrow raised seem to be the popular and go-to expressions for animators because they underestimate the viewer's intelligence. Dumb it down and really show those emotions so people can "SEE" what they are feeling. No room for subtle nuances in this biz.

I think animation and facial expressions should be relegated to strictly outlandish humor like Ren and Stimpy which utilized the approach to parody animation as well.

Oh.. and again.. I like your thought! haha
Re: Studio Series 38 Bumblebee Movie Optimus Prime Out at Select Stores in the US + New Pics (2009000)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on February 8th, 2019 @ 4:19pm CST
Rodimus Prime wrote:Good looking truck mode. Garbage robot mode. If I get it, it won't be at full price.

What don't you like about the robot mode? It looks screen accurate, detailed, well-proportioned, and devoid of excess kibble or fake parts. That's a win to me.
Re: Studio Series 38 Bumblebee Movie Optimus Prime Out at Select Stores in the US + New Pics (2009002)
Posted by Shuttershock on February 8th, 2019 @ 4:37pm CST
Ironically the longest smokestacks we’ve gotten in a while.
Re: Studio Series 38 Bumblebee Movie Optimus Prime Out at Select Stores in the US + New Pics (2009003)
Posted by carytheone on February 8th, 2019 @ 4:43pm CST
Shuttershock wrote:Ironically the longest smokestacks we’ve gotten in a while.
Re: Studio Series 38 Bumblebee Movie Optimus Prime Out at Select Stores in the US + New Pics (2009011)
Posted by Wireless_Phantom on February 8th, 2019 @ 6:07pm CST
Is it just me or are his proportions off?
Re: Studio Series 38 Bumblebee Movie Optimus Prime Out at Select Stores in the US + New Pics (2009028)
Posted by Deadput on February 8th, 2019 @ 7:46pm CST
metalogan wrote:

Oh.. and again.. I like your thought! haha

Why are you watching cartoons in the first place then? Better question why are you watching movies with any cgi or animation in them?

Because when's the last time people looked like animations?

Nobody wants deadpan expressionless faces, it will never be realistic because it's cgi or drawn hence not real, why should animators put big limitations on what they can make with their animation tools or conform to realism when cartoons once again are not made to be realistic.

It's not for dumbing down it's for expression and even then for the most part that's for kids who for the most part really won't get nuances (seriously ask any kid if they even care or even think about that kind of thing)

And just my opinion but giving Optimus a mouth is one of the best things the franchise has done, say whatever about how it looks but Prime isn't some "mysterious" character, and absolute stoic Optimus like in TFP is garbage (actually TFP in general had awful characters because just about everyone was stoic and expressionless from Megatron to Shockwave to Bumblebee to Bulkhead, Soundwave was the only one they made it semi-work because he was intentionally silent but then again Soundwave did little else besides be mysterious so he really isn't a good character either) , Optimus is a good character when he actually has emotions like in TFA or even the original cartoon.
Re: Studio Series 38 Bumblebee Movie Optimus Prime Out at Select Stores in the US + New Pics (2009030)
Posted by Hellscream9999 on February 8th, 2019 @ 8:03pm CST
Wireless_Phantom wrote:Is it just me or are his proportions off?

It's not just you, he is very box-chested
Re: Studio Series 38 Bumblebee Movie Optimus Prime Out at Select Stores in the US + New Pics (2009032)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on February 8th, 2019 @ 8:23pm CST
metalogan wrote:

Oh.. and again.. I like your thought! haha

So, basically you want everyone to look like they just had extensive Botox and can’t emote?
Re: Studio Series 38 Bumblebee Movie Optimus Prime Out at Select Stores in the US + New Pics (2009033)
Posted by Sabrblade on February 8th, 2019 @ 8:29pm CST
Nemesis Maximo wrote:
metalogan wrote:

Oh.. and again.. I like your thought! haha

Sounds familiar...

Re: Studio Series 38 Bumblebee Movie Optimus Prime Out at Select Stores in the US + New Pics (2009048)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on February 8th, 2019 @ 11:05pm CST
DULL SURPRISE!

Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Barricade" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #217 - Toy Fair 2019
"Toy Fair 2019"
Posted: Monday, February 18th, 2019

Buy "Transformers Titans Return BLOWPIPE & TRIGGERHAPPY New in Box" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return MONXO & WOLFWIRE figure boy toy" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Walgreens Exclusive Cloudraker and Wingspan MISB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Deluxe Class WOLFWIRE Weird Wolf Loose Figure Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Deluxe Class Skullsmasher Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Leader Class Soundwave & Soundblaster Some Shelf Wear" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS G1 Decepticon Communicator SOUNDWAVE + BUZZSAW w/BOX" on EBAY