Friday, August 19th, 2016 8:36am CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 28,100

While there was little doubt Takara's LG 31 Fortress Maximus would come with a master sword, we had never seen it. Until now. Sabrblade and Cyberpath have sent us some pictures from Dengeki Hobby and TF Yuki's Twitter which show this sword in full detail. It appears to be the same sword that came with the SDCC 2016 version but with a different deco using paint instead of stickers. This sword is also different from the Hasbro Asia version which is made partly of clear plastic. Images of all three are shown below. You can also compare the difference between SDCC 2016 Fortress Maximus and the Legends version which is primarily the deco, unlike last year where the Takara Devastator had more functionality and accessories over the SDCC version. Now, it's mainly just a different deco like the amount of red around the legs, more white in some areas and clear blue plastic used instead of clear green plastic for the shoulder. Here are the pictures.

Transformers News: Sword for Takara Transformers Legends LG 31 Fortress Maximus Revealed and Comparisons with SDCC Toy

Below you can see the SDCC 2016 version on the left and the Takara Legends version on the right

SDCC 2016 Fort Max and Sword

This item can still be ordered from Hasbro Toy Shop for $179.99.

Hasbro Asia Sword

This sword is the only one which is translucent.

So, for those who want a Fortress Maxmus with a sword, is the Takara one still worth the extra importing costs (bringing the figure to about $230 from importers) over getting the SDCC 2016 version which is $50 less for American fans?

Credit(s): dengeki hobby and tf yuki

Re: Sword for Takara Transformers Legends LG 31 Fortress Maximus Revealed and Comparisons with SDCC Toy (1816662)
Posted by william-james88 on August 19th, 2016 @ 8:38am CDT
Re: Sword for Takara Transformers Legends LG 31 Fortress Maximus Revealed and Comparisons with SDCC Toy (1816663)
Posted by RodimusConvoy13 on August 19th, 2016 @ 8:40am CDT
If I were going to get any version of Fort Max, I'd go with the Legends version. Not for the sword, but for the perfectly screen accurate Fortress and his Matrix Blue eyes. Damn, he's a fine looking robot.
Re: Sword for Takara Transformers Legends LG 31 Fortress Maximus Revealed and Comparisons with SDCC Toy (1816665)
Posted by Sigma Magnus on August 19th, 2016 @ 8:49am CDT
It's official, Takara is the best release of the mold. :x
Re: Sword for Takara Transformers Legends LG 31 Fortress Maximus Revealed and Comparisons with SDCC Toy (1816755)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 19th, 2016 @ 1:42pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:It seems like if someone wants to get the best hmage to the original toy, they should just get the SDCC version with the Hasbro asia sword.
But... it's Takara's Fort Max that has the most toy-accurate deco. About the only thing the Hasbro retail and SDCC Fort Maxes have over the Takara one in terms of toy-accuracy is the green shoulder window instead of Takara's blue shoulder window.
Re: Sword for Takara Transformers Legends LG 31 Fortress Maximus Revealed and Comparisons with SDCC Toy (1816775)
Posted by King Kuuga on August 19th, 2016 @ 2:06pm CDT
Re: Sword for Takara Transformers Legends LG 31 Fortress Maximus Revealed and Comparisons with SDCC Toy (1816779)
Posted by william-james88 on August 19th, 2016 @ 2:21pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:

I disagree, the toy doesnt have white on the shoulders and the sdes are grey ather than white, no?
Re: Sword for Takara Transformers Legends LG 31 Fortress Maximus Revealed and Comparisons with SDCC Toy (1816780)
Posted by william-james88 on August 19th, 2016 @ 2:22pm CDT
That Bot wrote:The pictures above demonstrate that the differences between SDCC and Takara Fort Max are fairly minor, so with the price+shipping factored in, SDCC is easier to swallow for a lot of people.

Yeah, thats what I was tryign to get across in the article, since people may not think of getting the SDCC version ad just think Takara vs Hasbro. For the price the sword commands online, the SDCC version is really not a bad deal at all.
Re: Sword for Takara Transformers Legends LG 31 Fortress Maximus Revealed and Comparisons with SDCC Toy (1816782)
Posted by Tigertrack on August 19th, 2016 @ 2:34pm CDT
I think the Legends Fortress/Cerebros is more cartoon accurate than SDCC , isn't it? Or is it the toy it is more accurate to? (Grey opposed to Black)
Re: Sword for Takara Transformers Legends LG 31 Fortress Maximus Revealed and Comparisons with SDCC Toy (1816801)
Posted by King Kuuga on August 19th, 2016 @ 3:04pm CDT
Legends Fortress is accurate to the original toy but mostly to the Headmasters cartoon.
Re: Sword for Takara Transformers Legends LG 31 Fortress Maximus Revealed and Comparisons with SDCC Toy (1816810)
Posted by LE0KING on August 19th, 2016 @ 3:31pm CDT
Re: Sword for Takara Transformers Legends LG 31 Fortress Maximus Revealed and Comparisons with SDCC Toy (1816814)
Posted by Kurona on August 19th, 2016 @ 3:40pm CDT
LE0KING wrote:Maybe it's because I'm not a G-1er, but I don't understand why people are willing to spend an additional $50+ for a plastic toy sword.

Welcome to the Transformers fandom. You must be new around here.
Re: Sword for Takara Transformers Legends LG 31 Fortress Maximus Revealed and Comparisons with SDCC Toy (1816821)
Posted by LE0KING on August 19th, 2016 @ 3:55pm CDT
Kurona wrote:

Welcome to the Transformers fandom. You must be new around here.

Ha ha, but seriously though, do you guys only eat ramen noodles, or have I been chatting it up with millionaires this whole time.
I almost got the sdcc version from hts but after shipping and taxes it was alittle over 200 bucks. So I got the basic hasbro one instead.
Re: Sword for Takara Transformers Legends LG 31 Fortress Maximus Revealed and Comparisons with SDCC Toy (1816843)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 19th, 2016 @ 5:31pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:

The white paint on the shoulders of Takara's Fort Max is meant to emulate the silver stickers that were on the original Fort Max's shoulders, which were represented in the Japanese cartoon (when his animation model was colored properly) by white triangles:

But rather than just paint white triangles arbitrarily, Takara opted to adhere to the molded details on the shoulders (or once) and painted the white parts of the shoulders in accordance to said details.

Hasbro's leaving the shoulders mostly all blue on their versions looks more like how the G1 toy's shoulders were when unstickered, lacking in the sticker detail:

Re: Sword for Takara Transformers Legends LG 31 Fortress Maximus Revealed and Comparisons with SDCC Toy (1816845)
Posted by Kurona on August 19th, 2016 @ 5:47pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:Image

I want that fort max to start an idw titan graveyard
Re: Sword for Takara Transformers Legends LG 31 Fortress Maximus Revealed and Comparisons with SDCC Toy (1816849)
Posted by galvatron00 on August 19th, 2016 @ 6:29pm CDT
LE0KING wrote:
Kurona wrote:
Welcome to the Transformers fandom. You must be new around here.
The major factor behind me getting the Takara release over the SDCC one has always been the audio that is coming with it. From what I've heard the original voice actor for Fortress is recording lines, AND a clip of the theme song will be in there!!

The BIGGEST factor was that I was able to lock in a super cheap price. Ends up being the same as the SDCC one after taxes (it shipped free from HTS). Those days have long since passed though. All the pre-orders now are much higher than they were.

And for the record I don't eat Ramen, I eat Yakisoba :lol: :KREMZEEK:
Re: Sword for Takara Transformers Legends LG 31 Fortress Maximus Revealed and Comparisons with SDCC Toy (1816873)
Posted by primalxconvoy on August 19th, 2016 @ 7:46pm CDT
LE0KING wrote:
Kurona wrote:

Welcome to the Transformers fandom. You must be new around here.

Some people here are rich. I have read people stating (true or not) about buying all kids of large amounts of 3rd party combiners, and other expensive stuff, even though they've got a house, kids, a partner and other expenses.

I can;t even afford a car, have no kids and have a reasonably paid job, but I still can;t afford half the stuff people buy here.

However, as I do live in Japan, I can get Fort Max and most Japanese TFs cheaper than most people (usually via Amazon Japan pre-order and sometimes at the wholesale price, but alas not this time).

Living here also gives me access to cheap ramen, yakisoba, sushi and hot Japanese girls and women.

But that, as they say, is another lawsuit/moderator comment/perma-ban...
Re: Sword for Takara Transformers Legends LG 31 Fortress Maximus Revealed and Comparisons with SDCC Toy (1816897)
Posted by fenrir72 on August 19th, 2016 @ 11:42pm CDT
primalxconvoy wrote:
LE0KING wrote:
Kurona wrote:

Welcome to the Transformers fandom. You must be new around here.

But that, as they say, is another lawsuit/moderator comment/perma-ban...

Same here. At times it isn't the matter of choice but availability. In my case, I have no choice but a willing choice :lol: to get the JP version as the pricing between the SDCC version or Hb and their availability is next to nil.

And Leoking, stereotyping tends to limit your view of the broader scope of things. You don't have to believe everything what some members here type about their purchasing habits. As they say, even in journalism, only about 50% reported is actually truth, the rest are a figment of their creative imaginations.

The proof is that some might rant against the price of import TFs yet will purchase all sorts of figure lines other than TFs. It's like what? Why not just focus on a single line and save on the cash for more import TFs etc etc etc
Re: Sword for Takara Transformers Legends LG 31 Fortress Maximus Revealed and Comparisons with SDCC Toy (1816923)
Posted by primalxconvoy on August 20th, 2016 @ 6:37am CDT
fenrir72 wrote:
primalxconvoy wrote:
LE0KING wrote:
Kurona wrote:

Welcome to the Transformers fandom. You must be new around here.

But that, as they say, is another lawsuit/moderator comment/perma-ban...

That's right. Also, it might just be someone's only purchase for the year, out a work bonus, etc. It's silly to compare purchases with other people as we don't know anyone's circumstances.
Re: Sword for Takara Transformers Legends LG 31 Fortress Maximus Revealed and Comparisons with SDCC Toy (1816976)
Posted by Agamemnon on August 20th, 2016 @ 10:18am CDT
Transformers is a hobby and can be expensive like many other things. Some people choose to go to sporting events. Some people choose to smoke (which is a very expensive habit!) Some people choose to buy expensive cars. A lot of these people are either very fortunate in their careers (I knew some twenty-somethings that had large amounts of disposable income, where I had to work for over a decade before I could feel comfortable. Plus, kids are very expensive when young, but become a little less so when older and more self sufficient) or have worked hard to get the salary they enjoy now.

But, ultimately, some of us are just 8-year-olds in forty something bodies having that disposable income. I choose to buy some expensive toys (including 3P) instead of smoking or attending sporting events. But I would, in no way, consider myself rich. These sorts of things do help me choose what I buy, but also where my career goes.

Re: Sword for Takara Transformers Legends LG 31 Fortress Maximus Revealed and Comparisons with SDCC Toy (1816981)
Posted by Kurona on August 20th, 2016 @ 10:29am CDT
Agamemnon wrote:And now, I realize I just said that wanting to buy Legends Skullcruncher to go with my E-Hobby Batimus Prime is one of my motivations to do well in the IT industry... 8-}

I must admit, when I was jobhunting earlier this year; I kept saying to myself "think of Bruticus... think of Bruticus" :lol:

Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight 1-Step Turbo Changer Cogman" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Grimlock Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #278 - The Return of Rodimus Prime
"The Return of Rodimus Prime"
Posted: Sunday, June 13th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Club Exclusive Rare - RUNAMUCK" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Optimus Prime Steelbane Bumblebee Tiny Turbo Changers Target Exc" on EBAY
Buy "RARE Transformers The Last Knight Cyberfire COGMAN 1-Step Turbo Changer" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Cogman STUDIO SERIES # 39 DELUXE CLASS Brand New Sealed" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Leader Dragonstorm Combiner New" on EBAY
Buy "????Transformers ???? Botcon TFCC TFSS Barricade Exclusive" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War For Cybertron Siege & Earthrise Barricade - Nonnef Upgrade Kit" on EBAY