Transformers News: Takara POTP June and July Listings with Dreadwind, Blackwing, Individual Dinobots and More

Friday, January 12th, 2018 9:20AM CST

Category: Toy News
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 9,816

Astute fans noticed that the combiner teams were absent from the previous listings of Takara's Power of the Primes toys, which so far is the same line as Hasbro's Power of the Primes. Dreadwind and Blackwing were also missing and so was Starscream. Did that means that at least the combiner teams would be different from Hasbro's? Would a team like the Dinobots be instead released in a Unite Warriors style boxset (regardless of them being different or not)? Was there no Dreadwing and Blackwing because those came out as Buster and Hydra in Japan?

Nope, none of that. The reason the Dinobots, Starscream, and the rest were not in the initial listings is because they are all coming out in June and July instead. Like Hasbro, every toy is being released individually. There are no Combiner Box Sets and Dreadwing and Blackwing are being released under those names. For now, looking at the fact that these are being released individually and with the same names as Hasbro's Power of the Primes toys, the safest bet is that these will also be identical to the Hasbro releases (pictured below). This fits with Takara's recent confirmation that this year will have a brand unification like never before.

Here are the upcoming releases for Takara's Power of the prime line according to S.T.F.U.'s Facebook page.

Power of the Primes wave 2 – June

PP-10 Alchemist Prime
PP-11 Dinobot Slug
PP-12 Dinobot Swoop
PP-13 Dinobot Snarl
PP-14 Dinobot Sludge
PP-15 Dinobot Grimlock

Power of the Primes wave 3 – July

PP-16 Moonracer
PP-17 Dreadwind
PP-18 Blackwing
PP-19 Starscream

Credit(s): STFU Facebook page
Re: Takara POTP June and July Listings with Dreadwind, Blackwing, Individual Dinobots and More (1931126)
Posted by Sabrblade on January 12th, 2018 @ 9:21am CST
Not surprised in the least.
Re: Takara POTP June and July Listings with Dreadwind, Blackwing, Individual Dinobots and More (1931127)
Posted by william-james88 on January 12th, 2018 @ 9:23am CST
Re: Takara POTP June and July Listings with Dreadwind, Blackwing, Individual Dinobots and More (1931129)
Posted by Sabrblade on January 12th, 2018 @ 9:29am CST
william-james88 wrote:I know how I am spending my lunch break, gonna go visit some forums and drink some sweet fan tears.
I hear they'll be serving crow to those fans. :P
Re: Takara POTP June and July Listings with Dreadwind, Blackwing, Individual Dinobots and More (1931130)
Posted by ZeroWolf on January 12th, 2018 @ 9:38am CST
Still interesting that they are helping the westernised names
Re: Takara POTP June and July Listings with Dreadwind, Blackwing, Individual Dinobots and More (1931131)
Posted by steals_your_goats on January 12th, 2018 @ 9:39am CST
Re: Takara POTP June and July Listings with Dreadwind, Blackwing, Individual Dinobots and More (1931134)
Posted by Quantum Surge on January 12th, 2018 @ 9:52am CST
Me personally, I;m not affected by the decision to have unchanged Hasbro toys. I don't get why some fans would buy a Hasbro version of a figure and say that it's okay,, but then they buy the Takara version that has a differently colored Autobot insignia and then they say it's perfect despite it being identical. I can see people buying Takara figures if it's characters that won't be reissued, unique redecos, full on premium makeovers like Buster Prime, original figures (especially those Hasbro wouldn't get), and metallic paint jobs, but most Takara versions are just like the Hasbro version but with different color placements.

What I did want from the Takara versions of the POTP figures was to have new weapons or at the very least fix the color issues that Leader Optimus and Rodimus have.
Re: Takara POTP June and July Listings with Dreadwind, Blackwing, Individual Dinobots and More (1931140)
Posted by o.supreme on January 12th, 2018 @ 10:13am CST

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND...............That Sucks, That REALLY REALLY sucks. Am I surprised...no, but disappointed...YES. Everything about Unite Warriors was awesome, and the very least :TAKARATOMY: could have done was given us some cool new packaging. Heck they aren't even releasing Buster & Hydra together as a 2-pack (not even calling them Buster & Hydra, just using the Hasbro names...)

Well, that's truly a shame. But it is what it is, life goes on. The Good News is -My little impulse purchase of Dreadwind at my sons insistence will not go to waste. I can now start planning my PotP purchasing accordingly. If I can get 1 figure per week on average, (I have 3 deluxes and 2 voyagers to purchase), that will keep me going for some time.

So at this point, why would anyone want to purchase the :TAKARATOMY: versions? There is no difference. Hopefully Online retailers will understand this and scale back their pre orders significantly, because I seriously doubt they will have many takers.
Re: Takara POTP June and July Listings with Dreadwind, Blackwing, Individual Dinobots and More (1931144)
Posted by o.supreme on January 12th, 2018 @ 10:22am CST
Sabrblade wrote:
I hear they'll be serving crow to those fans. :P

I hope you guys can discern the difference between fans that were insisting, and "absolutely certain" vs. those of us (like myself) that were just hoping...
Re: Takara POTP June and July Listings with Dreadwind, Blackwing, Individual Dinobots and More (1931145)
Posted by Sabrblade on January 12th, 2018 @ 10:23am CST
o.supreme wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
I hear they'll be serving crow to those fans. :P

Just lightly playing. ;)
Re: Takara POTP June and July Listings with Dreadwind, Blackwing, Individual Dinobots and More (1931148)
Posted by o.supreme on January 12th, 2018 @ 10:27am CST
Sabrblade wrote:
o.supreme wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
I hear they'll be serving crow to those fans. :P

Just lightly playing. ;)

understood ;)^ 8-)
Re: Takara POTP June and July Listings with Dreadwind, Blackwing, Individual Dinobots and More (1931155)
Posted by Lore Keeper on January 12th, 2018 @ 10:42am CST
I did not usually order a Takara version of a toy that had a Hasbro release, but that decision was more financial than based on lack of interest. I'm disappointed with the move because I liked seeing how Takara would handle their take on a character. It provided buyers with an additional option so they could choose which version suited them most.
Re: Takara POTP June and July Listings with Dreadwind, Blackwing, Individual Dinobots and More (1931167)
Posted by Deadput on January 12th, 2018 @ 11:08am CST
Thank god! I don't get to continue making myself even poorer! (Especially with Grand Maximus coming)

All thing's considered the Hasbro deco's are not "bad" by any means, maybe their not specifically the right color scheme one might have personally wanted but the deco's are not horrible.
Re: Takara POTP June and July Listings with Dreadwind, Blackwing, Individual Dinobots and More (1931183)
Posted by Black Hat on January 12th, 2018 @ 11:47am CST
Well that sucks.
Re: Takara POTP June and July Listings with Dreadwind, Blackwing, Individual Dinobots and More (1931187)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on January 12th, 2018 @ 11:55am CST
This is where expecting the worst and hoping for the best pays off. ;) Pretty interesting how all components of established combiners are released together, instead of split between waves.

I take it a merger is in order?
Re: Takara POTP June and July Listings with Dreadwind, Blackwing, Individual Dinobots and More (1931192)
Posted by william-james88 on January 12th, 2018 @ 12:16pm CST
steals_your_goats wrote:Like I said in the other potp thread the preorder prices are sightly more than jazz for the deluxe and the voyager prices are closer to that of legends line which came with different decos and accessories. Not saying this means anything but it is something to note. http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Search?HideInStock=false&HidePreorder=false&HideSoldOut=false&InventoryStatus=i%2Cp%2Cso&PageSize=50&SortOrder=New&Series=13137&Company=2

Did you compare it with the varying exchange rate changes of the past 5 months?
Is the price higher for all classes?
And could it be that BBTS has increased its prices on more popular figures in hope to offest the loss of not selling these figures due to the fact that it is now known they are the same a Hasbro's?
Re: Takara POTP June and July Listings with Dreadwind, Blackwing, Individual Dinobots and More (1931206)
Posted by o.supreme on January 12th, 2018 @ 12:55pm CST
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:I take it a merger is in order?

Well :TAKARATOMY: has made it publically known that they are apparently not doing to well financially. The rumors of a merger with habsro previously may have been false, but I would not be surprised. I mean I know :TAKARATOMY: owns many more properties besides Transformers, but who knows.

I wonder if Takara would be willing to sell its rights to Transformers to liscense product in Japan to Hasbro? Also if the major lines (Movie Line, Generaitons Line, and mainline animated series line) are all going to be identical...does that mean

MP-41 Dinobot will be the last new Masterpiece figure?
March has a ton of EX releases including Metroplex, Grand Maximus, and Great Shot, as well as Encore God Fire Convoy...will special releases like this come to an end...?

My wallet says :DANCE: . But my spirit of fun in collecting says :(
Re: Takara POTP June and July Listings with Dreadwind, Blackwing, Individual Dinobots and More (1931210)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on January 12th, 2018 @ 12:58pm CST
o.supreme wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:I take it a merger is in order?

MP-41 Dinobot will be the last new Masterpiece figure?

My wallet says :DANCE: . But my spirit of fun in collecting says :(

I meant a merger of threads... ;)
Re: Takara POTP June and July Listings with Dreadwind, Blackwing, Individual Dinobots and More (1931216)
Posted by steals_your_goats on January 12th, 2018 @ 1:32pm CST
william-james88 wrote:

Did you compare it with the varying exchange rate changes of the past 5 months?
Is the price higher for all classes?

Exchange rates fluctuate all the time and yet that had never affected the legends line releases. Over the past year the exchange rate hasn't fluctuated by more than a few yen. All deluxe figures besides Jazz are labeled as $29 so I'm led to believe it's Takara raising the price slightly which they typically don't do without the inclusion of something extra. Prime masters are the only other size we can compare now between wave 1 and 2 and they're the same price still.
Re: Takara POTP June and July Listings with Dreadwind, Blackwing, Individual Dinobots and More (1931223)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on January 12th, 2018 @ 2:21pm CST
As many have already said, this is not surprising, but still disappointing. Unite Warriors 2.0 would have been nice. Honestly, though, this is better for my budget, being able to buy domestically will save me a LOT of money. It'll allow me to double dip on some of the figures too, so that I can display Volcanicus and Abominus with the rest of my combiners and still have the individual team members on my "Classics" shelves as well. Now, my Takara purchases will be relegated to the Masterpiece line, which is fine. It also helps that the G1 Masterpiece releases are slowing down quite a bit, at least for the first half of 2018.

I think the only big disappointment for me so far with Power of the Primes is that Takara won't be releasing the Dinobots with red helmets for Slag and Swoop and blue eyes for all. Those small changes would have been enough for me, even if some of the other details on the dino or robot modes lean more toy accurate than cartoon accurate. At least we got Swoop with a blue chest, I guess?
Re: Takara POTP June and July Listings with Dreadwind, Blackwing, Individual Dinobots and More (1931327)
Posted by Moonshot on January 13th, 2018 @ 12:13pm CST
Well we all knew this was probably coming, still lame though. I was wanting, at the very least, Hydra and Buster released by :TAKARATOMY: in Masterforce colours, names. Have to admit though that now having PotP Jazz, Beachcomber and Windcharger in hand, they are nice. Not sure if this brand global thing is going to up the paint game of :HASBRO: or just stop having the awesome decos from :TAKARATOMY: . Like I said if Jazz is any indication, I am pretty happy. Only big problems I have with him is lack of paint on his rims and taillights. Besides those two shortcomings, Jazz, Beachcomber and Windcharger all could have been :TAKARATOMY: Legends releases I think, quality/paint wise.
Transformers products from AMAZON