Transformers News: Takara Reveals Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime 3.0 at Tokyo Toy Show 2018

Saturday, June 9th, 2018 12:35PM CDT

Categories: Toy News, Event News
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 29,337

Several people wrote in to let us know about the latest Transformers Masterpiece reveal from Takara: Optimus Prime. This is a completely new mold from MP-10, focused squarely on show accuracy. There are no wheels on his legs, for instance, and the proportions are much closer to the show model. For that, of course, every truck mode part has been replaced by fake vehicle kibble in the robot mode. You can see the inner chest through the truck windows, for instance. This reveal comes from the 2018 Tokyo Toy Show during the Takara panel where they also revealed a coloured prototype of Masterpiece Beast Wars Megatron and Gold Lagoon variants of several characters.

No price was given, nor the MP number for this figure. However, we do know that it will be out in 2019. Below are some images courtesy of 模玩麦片周 on Weibo.

Credit(s): 模玩麦片周
Re: Takara Reveals Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime 3.0 at Tokyo Toy Show 2018 (1964031)
Posted by Mindmaster on June 9th, 2018 @ 12:51pm CDT
Too early for me to give input, but the truck mode does look nice. Not sure how I feel about the robot mode, but I’m sure it’ll look better in color.

I’m just a little annoyed that we’re getting yet another Optimus instead of someone who has yet to get a Masterpiece figure.
Re: Takara Reveals Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime 3.0 at Tokyo Toy Show 2018 (1964038)
Posted by hausjam on June 9th, 2018 @ 1:20pm CDT
I wonder if it's just the cab. Trailer looks pretty much the same. And I don't really need another trailer. Unless they managed to come up with a better trailer hitch than lousy hitch he has now.
Re: Takara Reveals Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime 3.0 at Tokyo Toy Show 2018 (1964040)
Posted by Wireless_Phantom on June 9th, 2018 @ 1:40pm CDT
I'm glad it's happening, but of all the characters who really need updated MP figures to fit in with the modern MP aesthetics the seekers probably need it more.
Re: Takara Reveals Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime 3.0 at Tokyo Toy Show 2018 (1964048)
Posted by Agent 53 on June 9th, 2018 @ 1:55pm CDT
Looks cool to me.
For a start it doesn't look like the gun folds up anymore, so it should be a bit more stable.
Also I have MP-10 and while it was cool I have had a few issues. One of the flaps that cover the wheels on the legs broke off.
I would kinda like to see Has-Tak or 3rd Party make an MP version of the Evergreen design currently employed in the ongoing IDW Optimus Prime comic.
Re: Takara Reveals Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime 3.0 at Tokyo Toy Show 2018 (1964062)
Posted by Torneira on June 9th, 2018 @ 3:16pm CDT
I like it, although it's a bit premature to really get a good impression. What I do see is that he has in comparison to MP-10 a lot of panels going on, just like Megatron.
Re: Takara Reveals Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime 3.0 at Tokyo Toy Show 2018 (1964069)
Posted by Nathaniel Prime on June 9th, 2018 @ 3:49pm CDT
This really looks awesome. I don't have all the excitement I did for MP-10, but this is really exciting. I think that this is like the Masterpiece Prime for those(like me) who can't find MP-10 anymore. Anyway, truck mode is an improvement, and I guess bot mode hs a few points added, but is pretty much the same. If this has the complexity and/or the accessories like MP-36, I'm sold. Thank you HasTak! ;)^
Re: Takara Reveals Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime 3.0 at Tokyo Toy Show 2018 (1964075)
Posted by Emerje on June 9th, 2018 @ 4:00pm CDT
=P~

Now that's the Optimus Prime I've wanted since I was 4! Looks like his entire torso uses "fake" truck parts (windows and grill at least), I wonder how people will feel about that? As far as I'm concerned it's a small sacrifice for a perfect cartoon likeness.

But please don't come with the trailer, I've got enough of those that I'll never look at again, it's just an extra cost for something I don't have room to display. At least give us a with and without option.

Emerje
Re: Takara Reveals Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime 3.0 at Tokyo Toy Show 2018 (1964104)
Posted by Black Hat on June 9th, 2018 @ 6:52pm CDT
Oh dear gods. The blank inner shins, the weird-looking proportions, the apparently fake chest windows...I'll be getting MP-10.
Re: Takara Reveals Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime 3.0 at Tokyo Toy Show 2018 (1964121)
Posted by Quint on June 9th, 2018 @ 9:48pm CDT
It looks very cartoon accurate but I can't help thinking of this:

Re: Takara Reveals Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime 3.0 at Tokyo Toy Show 2018 (1964126)
Posted by fenrir72 on June 9th, 2018 @ 10:34pm CDT
Proof in the pie is in the eating!

Wait for the final painted images. Same with the trailer. The iconic box design will never change(a glorified container is all but the inside is the meat of it all! Who knows, maybe Roller will be 6w drive like THS02)? Another Spike would be optional. Will his energon ax be MP10 style of MP01 derivative?

Too many variables..............

Still, will BE getting him! :x
Re: Takara Reveals Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime 3.0 at Tokyo Toy Show 2018 (1964128)
Posted by wilcosu35 on June 9th, 2018 @ 10:43pm CDT
I'll have one, yes please.
Re: Takara Reveals Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime 3.0 at Tokyo Toy Show 2018 (1964129)
Posted by Sigma Magnus on June 9th, 2018 @ 10:46pm CDT
Can't really judge yet. I remember when we saw a grey prototype of MP-36, and people didn't like it. Then a lot of them turned around once they saw it in color and in proper pictures. I'm sure the same thing will happen here, and a fair amount of people will eventually like this.
Re: Takara Reveals Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime 3.0 at Tokyo Toy Show 2018 (1964137)
Posted by Ultra Markus on June 10th, 2018 @ 1:08am CDT
Re: Takara Reveals Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime 3.0 at Tokyo Toy Show 2018 (1964138)
Posted by Octobotimus on June 10th, 2018 @ 1:35am CDT
Ultra Markus wrote:with all these revamped characters coming out when will we start seeing more other masterpieces like Hound, Trailbreaker, and hopefully Jazz #-o

I feel at this point takara is waiting for 3rd parties and is taking notes, cause for the most part, 3rd parties beat them to it almost every time. so i'm pretty sure they lost the ability to release MP's (from g1) before a 3rd party .
Re: Takara Reveals Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime 3.0 at Tokyo Toy Show 2018 (1964140)
Posted by Ultra Markus on June 10th, 2018 @ 1:39am CDT
Octobotimus wrote:

yeah and some of those 3rd party creations are spot on accurate
Re: Takara Reveals Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime 3.0 at Tokyo Toy Show 2018 (1964142)
Posted by Ryrynz on June 10th, 2018 @ 1:55am CDT
Color
Re: Takara Reveals Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime 3.0 at Tokyo Toy Show 2018 (1964156)
Posted by frogbat on June 10th, 2018 @ 6:05am CDT
On the fence bout this one... looks great and the previous mp primes suffered in the legs especially when in truck mode. But yeah this was low on the want lists.
Re: Takara Reveals Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime 3.0 at Tokyo Toy Show 2018 (1964170)
Posted by DeathReviews on June 10th, 2018 @ 8:17am CDT
Re: Takara Reveals Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime 3.0 at Tokyo Toy Show 2018 (1964173)
Posted by fenrir72 on June 10th, 2018 @ 8:32am CDT
DeathReviews wrote:Hmmm. Wow. They.... really can’t stop themselves from dipping into that stagnant well, can they?

Tell that to Bandai with their Gundam RX 78-2 and their SDF Macross Valkyries(honorable mention to Arcadia aka Yamato) 8-}
Re: Takara Reveals Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime 3.0 at Tokyo Toy Show 2018 (1964175)
Posted by Ironhidensh on June 10th, 2018 @ 9:10am CDT
Well, lots of thoughts this time around.

First off, let me just say, no matter how awesome this is, or how bad, or how much I may end up loving it or hating it, MP-10 is still an awesome figure, and will always have a place in my collection, with the other primes, if nothing else.

On to this new guy.....

I like what I see. I'm always down for a new, updated figure. I don't believe in the phrase "good enough". Progress always moves forward. I am totally down for this guy, so far.

Though I, too, would like to see some of the characters that haven't been made yet get the MP treatment, it doesn't bother me. See, the 3rd party market has provided for most of those needs, so my itch is scratched. Maybe if that wasn't the case, I'd be more upset, but it is, and I'm not.

In the end, though, I'll have to wait till I've got it in hand to say yea or nae difinitivly.

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #211 - On The Prowl
"On The Prowl"
Posted: Sunday, November 4th, 2018

Buy "Sideswipe 100% Complete 1 Step Changers Robots in Disguise 2015 RID Transformers" on EBAY
Buy "Excellion 100% Complete Deluxe Cybertron Transformers" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS AOE PLATINUM EDITION GRIMLOCK & OPTIMUS LEADER CLASS NEW MISB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition Deluxe Class Blurr Loose Complete generations b" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition Deluxe Kup Loose 100% Complete generations united" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition Deluxe Class Blurr Loose 100% Complete generations" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition Voyager Grimlock Complete generations no bruticus" on EBAY
Buy "Mr Potato Head Marvel Dr Octopus Transformers Optimus Prime Mixable Figures" on EBAY