Takara Tomy Masterpiece Hot Rod Version 2 coming soon?

Saturday, September 19th, 2015 8:39am CDT

Categories: Toy News, Rumors
Posted by: ScottyP   Views: 73,128

Transformers News: Takara Tomy Masterpiece Hot Rod Version 2 coming soon?

This looks to be taken from a Japanese hobby magazine, such as Figure King or Hobby Japan, but it is currently unknown what the exact original source of the image is. Machine translation on the image's text also suggests that this will scale more appropriately with Autobot Cars such as Prowl or Sideswipe than with the original Rodimus Prime.

Ready for a proper Hot Rod? Hoping this doesn't have the several quality control issues the original versions of MP-9 had? Ready for some Decepticons and giving a long sigh at this news? Chat with your fellow Seibertronians about this release by replying to this post, and remember you can always check out our galleries of the original Masterpiece Hot Rod by following that link.

Credit(s): Takara Tomy

Re: Takara Tomy Masterpiece Hot Rod Version 2 coming soon? (1727190)
Posted by fenrir72 on September 19th, 2015 @ 8:41am CDT
ScottyP wrote:Thanks to a heads up from Seibertronian Cyberpath, the weekend starts with potential news of a second version of Masterpiece Hot Rod. Hot Rod was originally released in early 2011 in Japan by Takara Tomy as MP-9, in a mold also intended to serve as Rodimus Prime. Could we be getting a new version soon? The image suggesting so is mirrored below.

This is soooooooo BOUGHT! Here's hoping there's gonna be a Rodimus Convoy ver.2 too!
Re: Takara Tomy Masterpiece Hot Rod Version 2 coming soon? (1727191)
Posted by omega666 on September 19th, 2015 @ 8:43am CDT
I wonder if it will be a remolding of the Lambor mold.
Re: Takara Tomy Masterpiece Hot Rod Version 2 coming soon? (1727193)
Posted by ScottyP on September 19th, 2015 @ 8:44am CDT
omega666 wrote:I wonder if it will be a remolding of the Lambor mold.
I could see them borrowing some engineering, but those silhouette's proportions would make me skeptical of an extensive remold. Still an interesting thought, Hot Rod does transform very similarly :-?
Re: Takara Tomy Masterpiece Hot Rod Version 2 coming soon? (1727194)
Posted by Cyberpath on September 19th, 2015 @ 8:46am CDT
According to the translation, Hot Rod v2 will be out after Masterpiece Ironhide.

text.jpg
Re: Takara Tomy Masterpiece Hot Rod Version 2 coming soon? (1727200)
Posted by RhA on September 19th, 2015 @ 9:35am CDT
Dear Takara, please remember Galvatron too.

Love,
RhA
Re: Takara Tomy Masterpiece Hot Rod Version 2 coming soon? (1727201)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on September 19th, 2015 @ 9:37am CDT
In time for the animated movie's 30th anniversary? I love my MP-09, but this is on the BIN list. Image
Re: Takara Tomy Masterpiece Hot Rod Version 2 coming soon? (1727202)
Posted by triKlops on September 19th, 2015 @ 9:37am CDT
Cool. :APPLAUSE:
Hopefully this means I will be able to get a problem free one on this round.
Re: Takara Tomy Masterpiece Hot Rod Version 2 coming soon? (1727206)
Posted by Optimizzy on September 19th, 2015 @ 9:52am CDT
If this is near voyager scale it will be bought immediately. I just want a decent Rodimus that isn't tiny or needing add on parts are in a vastly different style or way too big or sold out.
Re: Takara Tomy Masterpiece Hot Rod Version 2 coming soon? (1727208)
Posted by Glarryg on September 19th, 2015 @ 10:30am CDT

Glarryg
Re: Takara Tomy Masterpiece Hot Rod Version 2 coming soon? (1727213)
Posted by Seibertron on September 19th, 2015 @ 10:57am CDT
Glarryg wrote:I'm definitely up for this. Missed out on MP Roddy the first time, and it's hard to justify inflated eBay prices for a figure I know will come with flaws. At this point, I'd be happy with a re-release that fixes the QC issues.

Glarryg

I'll gladly take an all-new MP Rodimus! MP-09 Rodimus was one of the worst Transformers to come out. He should've been Rodimus or he should've been Rodimus Convoy. Trying to do both just sacrificed the entire toy ... so much so that Rodimus Convoy's vehicle mode had more in common with a Pretender vehicle than the original Rodimus. This picture says it all:

Re: Takara Tomy Masterpiece Hot Rod Version 2 coming soon? (1727218)
Posted by Windlacer on September 19th, 2015 @ 11:13am CDT
This is fantastic news! I hope it pans out to be confirmed. I really only started getting into MP collecting after MP 10 and have been dying for a new Hot Rod.
Re: Takara Tomy Masterpiece Hot Rod Version 2 coming soon? (1727219)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on September 19th, 2015 @ 11:17am CDT
I find this as great news. I love Rodimus and most of his toys are really good... Except MP-09. Man, what a pile of stinking poo. I had it and sold it without regrets. That carbage is NOT fun to transform at all for a very unsatisfying vehicle mode. He can't hold his guns at all. He's also way too freaking big.

A new MP Rodimus in the same size class as the other Autobot cars will be perfect.
Re: Takara Tomy Masterpiece Hot Rod Version 2 coming soon? (1727221)
Posted by zodconvoy on September 19th, 2015 @ 11:22am CDT
Finally! After years of waiting they're finally making my Hot Rod!
Re: Takara Tomy Masterpiece Hot Rod Version 2 coming soon? (1727223)
Posted by william-james88 on September 19th, 2015 @ 11:35am CDT
Seibertron wrote:

Glarryg

EEEESSSH, I didnt know that. I never owned that mold and now I know for certain I will never have to, nor would I ever want to :)
Re: Takara Tomy Masterpiece Hot Rod Version 2 coming soon? (1727224)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on September 19th, 2015 @ 11:45am CDT
william-james88 wrote:
Seibertron wrote:

Glarryg

Don't panic Will. This is just an extra acessory like OP's trailer. The real vehicle mode is rather this:

And MP-09 is a 2.5changer. Meaning, he got his vehicle mode, plus 2 robot modes.
"Kid" Hot-Rod and Rodimus Prime.

It's still a horrible, horrible transformers. Still, if you can endure MP Megs, I guess you would still enjoy it if you can find it for cheap.
Re: Takara Tomy Masterpiece Hot Rod Version 2 coming soon? (1727227)
Posted by william-james88 on September 19th, 2015 @ 12:07pm CDT
triKlops wrote:Cool. :APPLAUSE:
Hopefully this means I will be able to get a problem free one on this round.

I hope it isnt a taktomymall exclusive

And Kanrabat, thanks for the explanation. The only difference I see between Hot Rod and Rodimus Prime in that pic you showed is that his legs are slightly longer. Is there anything else?
Re: Takara Tomy Masterpiece Hot Rod Version 2 coming soon? (1727230)
Posted by Shegotron on September 19th, 2015 @ 12:18pm CDT
RhA wrote:Dear Takara, please remember Galvatron too.

Love,
RhA

Hear hear! I mean, my G1 and eHobby Galvatrons scale fine with the modern MPs, but they're just a bit clunky looking.

I hope this new MP turns out well. MP-9 was just a clusterbomb of problems. Just trying to do too much with one figure.

Of course, since we're getting Ironhide, the MP I'm really anticipating is Ratchet. G1 Ratchet was the very first Transformer I ever had, alongside Mixmaster, and I'm anticipating coming full-circle.
Re: Takara Tomy Masterpiece Hot Rod Version 2 coming soon? (1727231)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on September 19th, 2015 @ 12:19pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:
triKlops wrote:Cool. :APPLAUSE:
Hopefully this means I will be able to get a problem free one on this round.

I hope it isnt a taktomymall exclusive

It's hard to see from here but he have a face changing gimmick.
Re: Takara Tomy Masterpiece Hot Rod Version 2 coming soon? (1727232)
Posted by Shegotron on September 19th, 2015 @ 12:25pm CDT
-Kanrabat- wrote:
william-james88 wrote:
triKlops wrote:Cool. :APPLAUSE:
Hopefully this means I will be able to get a problem free one on this round.

I hope it isnt a taktomymall exclusive

It's hard to see from here but he have a face changing gimmick.

Here's that gimmick.
Re: Takara Tomy Masterpiece Hot Rod Version 2 coming soon? (1727244)
Posted by Desslok2201 on September 19th, 2015 @ 1:53pm CDT
I don't understand the logic of this one. It can be argued that Hot Rod and Rodimus Prime need redos, but I don't understand the timing. MP-10 was made to bring the scale down, but when that was made it was shown to be more in scale with MP-09, so there's really no immediate need for a redo, like there is with MP-05. I don't pretend to call the shots for TT, but I'd rather see either another stab at Megatron, or new characters before revisiting Hot Rod. That's my two cents, and before people take me apart, I know that's exactly what they're worth.

Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Siege on Cybertron 5-Figure Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Brawl" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #254 - Redlining Sixth
"Redlining Sixth"
Posted: Sunday, July 5th, 2020

Buy "Transformers POTP Power Of The Primes PP-43 Throne Optimal Optimus Primal MISB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Movie Figure  Lot" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Unicron Armada By Hasbro New Sealed HTF" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro 2009 Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen Constructicons lot Devastator" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Bumblebee Movie Shatter Action Figure (Read description)" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Cybertron Voyager: Vector Prime MIB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime Beast Hunters Cyberverse Legion Class Air Vehicon" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Studio Series Constructicon Rampage #37. Never opened" on EBAY