Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-20 Wheeljack Design Sketches

Transformers News: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-20 Wheeljack Design Sketches

Sunday, March 2nd, 2014 10:47AM CST

Category: Toy News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 19,220

Courtesy of Weibo user 北马伊斯力 we have of a couple of page images from Figure King 193 that give us a look at the design process for MP-20 Wheeljack. Its' always interesting to get a glimpse of the behind the scenes work that goes into these figures. Check out the images mirrored below.

Transformers News: Re: Official Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-20 Wheeljack Discussion

Credit(s): 北马伊斯力
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-20 Wheeljack Design Sketches (1554640)
Posted by Stormrider on March 2nd, 2014 @ 6:23pm CST
does the missile launcher double to be the hypno ray device? They both look similar shape and size.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-20 Wheeljack Design Sketches (1560543)
Posted by El Duque on March 26th, 2014 @ 11:00pm CDT
Amazon Japan has updated their pre-order for Takara Tomy's Transformers Masterpiece MP-20 Wheeljack with nice high res full color official images! Wheeljack is estimated to arrive in August. Check 'em out below!

Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-20 Wheeljack Design Sketches (1560547)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 26th, 2014 @ 11:08pm CDT
Really hope they make a toon-accurate redeco later on since I really don't care for the real life car-accurate deco, but the mold itself looks fantastic.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-20 Wheeljack Design Sketches (1560551)
Posted by mooncake623 on March 26th, 2014 @ 11:18pm CDT
So its done! they should ship this now
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-20 Wheeljack Design Sketches (1560553)
Posted by LOST Cybertronian on March 26th, 2014 @ 11:20pm CDT
August cannot come soon enough.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-20 Wheeljack Design Sketches (1560554)
Posted by Captain on March 26th, 2014 @ 11:30pm CDT
So does WJ look like this in G1? I don't remember the black windows?
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-20 Wheeljack Design Sketches (1560557)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 26th, 2014 @ 11:36pm CDT
Captain wrote:So does WJ look like this in G1? I don't remember the black windows?
Nope!

This deco is based on the real life Lancia Stratos instead of Wheeljack's cartoon colors.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-20 Wheeljack Design Sketches (1560560)
Posted by Captain on March 26th, 2014 @ 11:48pm CDT
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-20 Wheeljack Design Sketches (1560565)
Posted by Joetx on March 27th, 2014 @ 12:13am CDT
Captain wrote:That's what I thought. I hope at least Hasbro or Takara has the clear version windows. That black is a pass for me. :roll:

There will be a Hasbro version?
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-20 Wheeljack Design Sketches (1560570)
Posted by BumbleDouche on March 27th, 2014 @ 1:02am CDT
Every time I see this, I think of Dr Smoov's "S.O.S. Wheeljack"
They need to release a version of this with a button for sound clips so we can hear him say "F@$# you Huffer!"
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-20 Wheeljack Design Sketches (1560571)
Posted by megatronus on March 27th, 2014 @ 1:02am CDT
Joetx wrote:

There will be a Hasbro version?

We don't know if Hasbro will do one; they haven't released any of the (2) licensed cars to date. The next MP on their list is another Grimlock reissue.

At any rate, this deco doesn't look bad at all. Especially considering the original toy.

Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-20 Wheeljack Design Sketches (1560581)
Posted by kirbenvost on March 27th, 2014 @ 1:36am CDT
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-20 Wheeljack Design Sketches (1560582)
Posted by megatronus on March 27th, 2014 @ 1:38am CDT
kirbenvost wrote:I agree the windows could be a lot less dark, but otherwise he looks amazing. That fourth pic is so cool, almost like he just jumped out of the cartoon. 8)

I think Prime is the only MP not to have tinted windows... I guess they're trying to hide their holo-drivers ;)
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-20 Wheeljack Design Sketches (1560595)
Posted by Samsonator on March 27th, 2014 @ 3:15am CDT
I know it's become something of a point of contention with some people, but for me, I love the vehicle Wheeljack was based on, so seeing it rendered so beautifully right down to the red rims on the wheels is fantastic.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-20 Wheeljack Design Sketches (1560596)
Posted by Cyberpath on March 27th, 2014 @ 3:44am CDT
Looks great! Looking at the photos I can almost hear Chris Latta's voice.

The windshield are consistent with the other Autobot cars.

It appears that the "wings" are made from clear plastic as a homage to the G1 toy.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-20 Wheeljack Design Sketches (1560604)
Posted by robotmel on March 27th, 2014 @ 6:15am CDT
:D

Is this the official release or the KO..? ;)
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-20 Wheeljack Design Sketches (1560606)
Posted by DecepticonFinishline on March 27th, 2014 @ 6:27am CDT
The black is all dandy with me. I can even tolerate some of the excessive green.

My problem is with the bit of the hood still under windshield in bot mode. That is the biggest let down for me.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-20 Wheeljack Design Sketches (1560607)
Posted by craggy on March 27th, 2014 @ 6:43am CDT
the wings and windscreen on the original (or at least the Classics Heroes version I got) were a bit cloudy/dark than completely clear, so that doesn't bother me on this guy. looks pretty great.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-20 Wheeljack Design Sketches (1560612)
Posted by Stormrider on March 27th, 2014 @ 7:34am CDT
MegaDump wrote:Every time I see this, I think of Dr Smoov's "S.O.S. Wheeljack"

lol. I love Dr Smoov's impression of Wheeljack!

I am surprised that this has an August release date. They seem to be ahead of schedule with the painted prototype. This is going to be a long 5 month wait.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-20 Wheeljack Design Sketches (1560619)
Posted by fenrir72 on March 27th, 2014 @ 7:56am CDT
End of August for online Japanese shops to be exact.

Ending Soon On eBay

SD12 DINOBOT Transformers Superlink 2004 Takara Energon Cruellock New - Time Remaining: 4 days 5 hours 12 minutes 43 seconds
Strafe Transformers Generations Deluxe Class Hasbro Age of Extinction NIP 2014 - Time Remaining: 1 day 21 hours 14 minutes 18 seconds
Transformers Fall Of Cybertron CYBERTRONIAN SOUNDWAVE - Time Remaining: 28 days 9 hours 15 minutes 51 seconds
New Gutto Kuru Figure Collection Transformers Super-God Masterforce Minelba - Time Remaining: 7 days 6 hours 16 minutes 34 seconds
Transformers Generations ORION Pax VS MEGATRONUS Toy NEW - Time Remaining: 5 days 8 hours 20 minutes 27 seconds
Transformers Generations Titans Return Autobot Blaster & Twin Cast Leader Class - Time Remaining: 3 days 9 hours 21 minutes 50 seconds
Transformers Hunt for the Decepticons HFTD Deluxe Class Rescue Ratchet Autobot - Time Remaining: 5 days 15 hours 24 minutes 29 seconds
Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Dulex Irohide+Sunstreaker+Mirage+Prowl - Time Remaining: 2 days 9 hours 30 minutes 18 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #175 - Bayhem