Transformers News: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-42 Cordon Revealed with Toy Head, Lightbar, and More

Wednesday, May 9th, 2018 9:11PM CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: D-Maximal_Primal   Views: 13,237

Thanks to a heads up from Seibertronian Sabrblade, hot on the heels of pre-orders, we have news from the Shizuoka Hobby Show, where MP-42 Cordon AKA Diaclone Sunstreaker has been revealed in full!

The most notable retool from the base MP-39 Sunstreaker mold is a brand new toy inspired head, featuring the detailing many missed from the inside of Sunstreaker's ears (Sunstreakears?).* Also included is a new police lightbar on the roof/chest, new shins featuring new detailing, and a new gun. This new image comes to us from @brickonator on Twitter.

Check out the image of his new masterpiece figure below, and let us know what you think of it in the comments section below!

*Credit for this pun goes to Thew on Youtube
Credit(s): @Brickonator on Twitter
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-42 Cordon Revealed with Toy Head, Lightbar, and More (1958570)
Posted by Sigma Magnus on May 9th, 2018 @ 9:12pm CDT
Lookin' good, but I think a red version would look even better.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-42 Cordon Revealed with Toy Head, Lightbar, and More (1958572)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on May 9th, 2018 @ 9:14pm CDT
Very highly tempted by this now...
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-42 Cordon Revealed with Toy Head, Lightbar, and More (1958582)
Posted by sol magnus on May 9th, 2018 @ 9:26pm CDT
Welp, there goes the toy head and wrist rockets...
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-42 Cordon Revealed with Toy Head, Lightbar, and More (1958597)
Posted by Ironhidensh on May 9th, 2018 @ 9:41pm CDT
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-42 Cordon Revealed with Toy Head, Lightbar, and More (1958618)
Posted by MagicDeath on May 9th, 2018 @ 10:13pm CDT
I have the original red version somewhere (one of the first TFs I can remember), so I’ll hold out until they do that deco. I’m nearly certain they will, seeing as it’s kind of the very first TF toy.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-42 Cordon Revealed with Toy Head, Lightbar, and More (1958631)
Posted by fenrir72 on May 9th, 2018 @ 11:17pm CDT
Cordon's shin details and the face! :x Instant buy!

Will a "Cordon bleu" version follow? 8-}
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-42 Cordon Revealed with Toy Head, Lightbar, and More (1958633)
Posted by Seibertron on May 9th, 2018 @ 11:49pm CDT
Ironhidensh wrote:I'm actually quite interested in this, but for the price, without extensive retooling, one Sunny is good enough.

How is this not extensive retooling? New head, new gun, new legs, new chest, etc ...

It's definitely not Titans Return Scourge into Highbrow into Windblade, but it's definitely got some big things going on.

New G1 styled head is very awesome. I look forward to the inevitable MP-39+.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-42 Cordon Revealed with Toy Head, Lightbar, and More (1958674)
Posted by MGrotusque on May 10th, 2018 @ 7:58am CDT
That head sculpt! that's the head i wanted for Sunstreaker dammit.

It pains me greatly that Sunny didn't come with a G1 toy accurate option like this for a head swap when clearly it was completely possible to do so.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-42 Cordon Revealed with Toy Head, Lightbar, and More (1958677)
Posted by mentre83 on May 10th, 2018 @ 8:05am CDT
MGrotusque wrote:That head sculpt! that's the head i wanted for Sunstreaker dammit.

Exactly my thoughts.

Usually I'm not a huge fan of repaints, however these Diaclone-inspired Masterpiece figures (Cordon, Exhaust and so on) are very interesting, at least in my opinion.

Still I would kill for a show accurate Reflector Masterpiece to complete my 1st wave Decepticons diorama...
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-42 Cordon Revealed with Toy Head, Lightbar, and More (1958683)
Posted by shajaki on May 10th, 2018 @ 8:17am CDT
Just thinking... they may have had to slightly alter/remold parts around the head. It looks bigger than the "anime" Sunstreaker head. Either that, or the head itself transforms/collapses in on itself.

What I'm getting at is, that that head might not have been possible on the original run of MP-39 :-?
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-42 Cordon Revealed with Toy Head, Lightbar, and More (1958684)
Posted by Ironhidensh on May 10th, 2018 @ 8:30am CDT
Seibertron wrote:

New G1 styled head is very awesome. I look forward to the inevitable MP-39+.

I guess extensive retooling was the wrong phrase to use. What I mean is, it needs to look like a different figure, similar to Tracks and Roadrage, for me to justify the cost.

While this is nice, it doesn't look too different than Sunny (yes, that is just my opinion).

Unless of course, I can find this on sale.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-42 Cordon Revealed with Toy Head, Lightbar, and More (1958699)
Posted by DecepticonFinishline on May 10th, 2018 @ 9:52am CDT
Cordon is Autobot! *slams table*

C'mon! It's a made up character. With red eyes. Just fill out the Decepticon ranks!
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-42 Cordon Revealed with Toy Head, Lightbar, and More (1958705)
Posted by Cobotron on May 10th, 2018 @ 11:12am CDT
DecepticonFinishline wrote:Cordon is Autobot! *slams table*

Put a :CON: sticker on it, and let your imagination fly free!!!!! It's that easy. ;)
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-42 Cordon Revealed with Toy Head, Lightbar, and More (1958707)
Posted by Rated X on May 10th, 2018 @ 11:16am CDT
DecepticonFinishline wrote:Cordon is Autobot! *slams table*

I agree that was a fail. It should have been Barricade.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-42 Cordon Revealed with Toy Head, Lightbar, and More (1958708)
Posted by Rated X on May 10th, 2018 @ 11:18am CDT
mentre83 wrote:

Exactly my thoughts.

A reflector is what I wanted too. But dont forget tge insecticons and triple changers to round out the pre-1986 movie decepticon cast. Im gonna be saving a lot of money if the focus on beast wars instead of G1 next year.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-42 Cordon Revealed with Toy Head, Lightbar, and More (1958715)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on May 10th, 2018 @ 11:39am CDT
So it was an Autobot after all... What a "surprise" :roll:
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-42 Cordon Revealed with Toy Head, Lightbar, and More (1958722)
Posted by mentre83 on May 10th, 2018 @ 12:26pm CDT
Rated X wrote:
mentre83 wrote:

Exactly my thoughts.

Unfortunately for me, I'm collecting both G1 Decepticons and Beast Wars figures (no Shadow Panther though, just the characters from the show).

Probably Reflector will be neglected to the characters you mentioned, or some 2010 character (there have been only Autobots till now, except for the Soundblaster/Ratbat combo, I think). Also maybe "Red Sunstreaker" will be a :CON: too! Let's just hope it will mantain Cordon's head...
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-42 Cordon Revealed with Toy Head, Lightbar, and More (1958778)
Posted by Flashwave on May 10th, 2018 @ 5:37pm CDT
mentre83 wrote:
Rated X wrote:
mentre83 wrote:

Exactly my thoughts.

Sorry, but Red Sunstreaker has a name: Spinout, and is a "Fuel Preperation Specialist for the :BOT:
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-42 Cordon Revealed with Toy Head, Lightbar, and More (1958817)
Posted by chuckdawg1999 on May 11th, 2018 @ 1:06am CDT
Will this be some kind of exclusive? Waiting to preorder from Amazon Japan if possible. Hopefully there's more to the figure that we've seen.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-42 Cordon Revealed with Toy Head, Lightbar, and More (1958827)
Posted by mentre83 on May 11th, 2018 @ 2:22am CDT
Flashwave wrote:
mentre83 wrote:

Thanks for the info, I totally forgot about that character ;)^
Transformers products from AMAZON

Featured Products

Buy "Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumble Figure" on AMAZON
You save: 41%
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #200 - Requiem of the Twincast
"Requiem of the Twincast"
Posted: Sunday, May 20th, 2018