Transformers News: Takara's Official Images for Studio Series Grimlock, Blackout  + Scorponok, and Starscream

Monday, February 19th, 2018 10:41pm CST

Categories: Movie Related News, Toy News
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 23,413

As said before, a fun consolation prize of the brand unification is that now Takara's promotional material and official images are all related to toys even western fans will be able to buy locally.

Takara's official product site has started filling in their Transformers Studio Series listings with images. So far we have images of the robot modes and alt modes for Leaders Grimlock and Blackout along with Voyager Starscream. We also get our best look yet at Scorponok. As with all takara images, these are not renders but images of the actual toys. However, it seems the colours are not final (or the lighting is off) since their Grimlock appears to lack the green and be more grey instead. Wouldn't be the first time with Takara though.

Also, there seems to be some mistransformation going on with Grimlock looking more gappy than ever before. We also get the best sense of Grimlock's transformation. Thee pictures show us that one of his shoulders is made up of a fake t-res head that is stored upside down near his lower back, with the t-rex teeth doubling as dorsal spikes.

Credit(s): Takara Tomy

Re: Takara's Official Images for Studio Series Grimlock, Blackout + Scorponok, and Starscream (1940853)
Posted by ZeroWolf on February 20th, 2018 @ 5:01am CST
That is some serious mistransformation there or possibly a very loose connection? Mt bet is the former but I wouldn't like a figure that looks that stunning to be bad quality.
Re: Takara's Official Images for Studio Series Grimlock, Blackout + Scorponok, and Starscream (1940859)
Posted by Va'al on February 20th, 2018 @ 7:01am CST
To round off our batch of new official images from Hasbro - and Takara Tomy, for that matter - and asa supplement to our previous posts on this topic (as seen here and here) you can now also browse our New York Toy Fair 2018 gallery for the Transformers Studio Series movie toyline, with its new offerings of previously released characters since 2007!

The images below include the three different sized classes we saw at both Toy Fair and Wonderfest, Deluxe, Voyager and Leader, and include:

• Deluxe Bumblebee, Crowbar, Jazz, Lockdown, Ratchet, Stinger
  • Voyager Megatron, Brawl, Optimus Prime, Starscream
  • Leader Grimlock, Blackout

Check it all out below, and join the conversation in the Energon Pub!

DELUXE CLASS

VOYAGER CLASS

LEADER CLASS

Re: Takara's Official Images for Studio Series Grimlock, Blackout + Scorponok, and Starscream (1940860)
Posted by ScottyP on February 20th, 2018 @ 7:13am CST
Re: Takara's Official Images for Studio Series Grimlock, Blackout + Scorponok, and Starscream (1940864)
Posted by Ironhidensh on February 20th, 2018 @ 7:33am CST
ScottyP wrote:Got my shipping notification from HTS for the Wave 1 Deluxes this morning. They'll be here tomorrow, neat!

Same here. That's a lot quicker than normal. Usually HTS takes 4 or 5 days to get to me.
Re: Takara's Official Images for Studio Series Grimlock, Blackout + Scorponok, and Starscream (1940958)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on February 20th, 2018 @ 1:00pm CST
william-james88 wrote:That isnt what I meant, nor what Hellscream meant. We were talking about our expectations now that we have seen the TLK line. Toys like Barricade, any Bee, Leader Dragonstorm and so forth.

I don't know what you mean here. I loved Barricade and Wave 3 Bee. Never got Dragonstorm cos they were too expensive and I've missed out on the super cheap price reduction at B&M (sold all out) but yeah Barry is cool and W3 Bee is my fave Deluxe Bee toy ever.

What colour is Grimlock actually then? He seems to differ in pics. And yeah one of the t-rex shots definitely has them forgotten to turn the chest piece upwards but never mind. I really wanna see his back and see how that fake t-rex head goes in and if it blends it nicely (it looks fine from the sides) or if his t-rex back is ruined like his PotP counterpart.
Re: Takara's Official Images for Studio Series Grimlock, Blackout + Scorponok, and Starscream (1941003)
Posted by Lunatic Prime on February 20th, 2018 @ 2:35pm CST
Review for Studio Series Stinger

And I haven't been able to report this via the link that's in Va'al's Signature because it doesn't acknowledge my Email-address :-x
Re: Takara's Official Images for Studio Series Grimlock, Blackout + Scorponok, and Starscream (1941008)
Posted by Bounti76 on February 20th, 2018 @ 2:46pm CST
Fresh from his reveal at ToyFair and surprise availability right after, we have a review of Transformers Studio Series Wave 1 Deluxe Stinger, courtesy of fellow Seibertronian and regular reviewer Chuckdawg1999! Read on to find out what Chuck has to say, and then watch the review to see what you think of this figure.

chuckdawg1999 wrote:Hasbro does love doing the surprise drop every now and then don't they? Fresh from their NY Toy Fair panel comes the Studio Series line of movie figures. Stinger is the first original mold, deluxe class figure we've gotten of the Age of Extinction character and it's, ok. Transformation is the best part if a bit fiddly while robot mode is just ok. A few more tabs to lock things in here in there would've made me happier about the old bot mode. Maybe a transforming gun arm too? I can only recommend the figure for those die-hard Stinger fans as I think there might be better options for general movie fans elsewhere in wave 1.

Are you planning on picking Stinger up? Is he already on his way to your house? (Mine is.) Stinger and the rest of the Wave 1 Deluxes can be found here, but quantities are limited until a restock in April. Let us know what you think below!
Re: Takara's Official Images for Studio Series Grimlock, Blackout + Scorponok, and Starscream (1941026)
Posted by CJPrime931 on February 20th, 2018 @ 3:41pm CST
I prefer the Takara Lost Age Stinger over this.
Re: Takara's Official Images for Studio Series Grimlock, Blackout + Scorponok, and Starscream (1941029)
Posted by reluctantyouth on February 20th, 2018 @ 3:50pm CST
Re: Takara's Official Images for Studio Series Grimlock, Blackout + Scorponok, and Starscream (1941032)
Posted by Rated X on February 20th, 2018 @ 4:16pm CST
Ugh....the joy of transforming movie toys. I will end up getting him though. Im still keeping up with my collection of movie decepticons. I stopped with the autobots after DOTM. But what we really need now is a deluxe Hatchet that transforms into an SUV to complete the trio. Bonus points if they can make dreadbot that turns into a rusted VW van or whatever he was.
Re: Takara's Official Images for Studio Series Grimlock, Blackout + Scorponok, and Starscream (1941039)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on February 20th, 2018 @ 5:28pm CST
Hellscream9999 wrote:Jazz actually looks pretty great here, as does lockdown and brawl...

EVERYTHING IN THIS LINE IS AMAZING :shock:

You can say that again. ;)^
Re: Takara's Official Images for Studio Series Grimlock, Blackout + Scorponok, and Starscream (1941040)
Posted by dragons on February 20th, 2018 @ 5:32pm CST
reluctantyouth wrote:Bummer...he is fiddly but I'm not going to cancel my order...really like the car mold.

i dont see jello mold i do see toy bot mode is ok back roof section on arm is really bad place for roof secion maybe it pops off
Re: Takara's Official Images for Studio Series Grimlock, Blackout + Scorponok, and Starscream (1941043)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on February 20th, 2018 @ 5:50pm CST

And TLK had some great molds. Barricade was a good toy, not overly lackluster, and the voyagers killed it, and there is no real indication that they are gonna drop in quality except for the above mentioned Optimus. TLK killed it with many figures, and Hasbro seems to be going strong again here.

Lockdown and Jazz are really cool! Except for some smaller feet, Jazz continues to look perfect. Love Lockdowns weapons. And if the thing about the saw is true for Starscream, I'll wait for his tattooed self to get the saw.

I'm hoping Megs does end up silver, but he is a buy either way.
Re: Takara's Official Images for Studio Series Grimlock, Blackout + Scorponok, and Starscream (1941047)
Posted by DMSL on February 20th, 2018 @ 6:06pm CST
Not digging the design of the botmode, so i will pass. The carmode looks beautiful though.
Re: Takara's Official Images for Studio Series Grimlock, Blackout + Scorponok, and Starscream (1941048)
Posted by Hellscream9999 on February 20th, 2018 @ 6:29pm CST
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:Why you crapping so badly on the line Will? This line looks amazing (minus Optimus), and with Grimlock, that fake head is basically seamless, dunno why it's getting such a hard time from you.

I'm hoping Megs does end up silver, but he is a buy either way.

There's been a noticeable amount of salt floating around here since toy fair, not sure why though, but, this line has me so seriously stoked for movie toys, I'm pretty nostalgic for them too, would love a great movie jazz and lockdown, as their first versions were pretty lackluster, gonna get everything probably 'cept the leaders :DANCE:
Re: Takara's Official Images for Studio Series Grimlock, Blackout + Scorponok, and Starscream (1941049)
Posted by ZeroWolf on February 20th, 2018 @ 6:34pm CST
Do you mean salt just about this line or in general?
Re: Takara's Official Images for Studio Series Grimlock, Blackout + Scorponok, and Starscream (1941051)
Posted by Hellscream9999 on February 20th, 2018 @ 6:51pm CST
ZeroWolf wrote:Do you mean salt just about this line or in general?

Mostly in other threads, I think it was the one-two punch of potp ending earlier than we wanted (and with only one(?) new deluxe) and predaking being super anticlimactic, on top of the super s****y cyberverse line lowering the bar even further being fresh on peoples minds. I personally think this toy fair did a number on our morale as collectors, I guess it's more something I'm sensing from people's comments than anything, but I'm in that group too...

I'm honestly really happy that this line is receiving near universal praise and excitement from people, but I guess that could be from it not being leaked and being the only great thing to come from the toy fair this year :-?
Re: Takara's Official Images for Studio Series Grimlock, Blackout + Scorponok, and Starscream (1941053)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on February 20th, 2018 @ 6:59pm CST
Hellscream9999 wrote:

I'm hoping Megs does end up silver, but he is a buy either way.

As a movie lover, this line is my dream. I'm so stoked we are getting all these new figures, and I am going to love this. If Battletrap isn't my figure of the year this year, I think one of these will definitely be it
Re: Takara's Official Images for Studio Series Grimlock, Blackout + Scorponok, and Starscream (1941057)
Posted by Hellscream9999 on February 20th, 2018 @ 7:14pm CST
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:
Hellscream9999 wrote:

I'm hoping Megs does end up silver, but he is a buy either way.

Yeah, sad to not see a perfect deluxe barricade yet, but the dotm one is pretty perfect
Re: Takara's Official Images for Studio Series Grimlock, Blackout + Scorponok, and Starscream (1941068)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on February 20th, 2018 @ 7:33pm CST
I forgot to mention this earlier, but I am so stoked that my favorite Seeker is getting a new movie figure as a retool of Nitro Zeus!!!! Thundercracker will be a must buy ASAP figure for me!!!

Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Sky Lynx" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Brawn" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #245 - On a Boat
"On a Boat"
Posted: Saturday, April 4th, 2020

Buy "Transformers Generations FOC Fall Cybertron Deluxe Vortex (Bruticus) 100% Comp" on EBAY
Buy "New Transformers Studio Series 40 (Bumblebee Movie) Deluxe Class Shatter MISB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Ultra Class Slipstream Warrior Acid Storm" on EBAY
Buy "HASBRO TRANSFORMERS UNIVERSE CLASSICS GENERATIONS ACID STORM SEEKER" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Bumblebee: Mission Vision Shatter Action Figure Movie-Inspired" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Figure and Parts Lot - Megatron Strongarm Acid Storm RID" on EBAY
Buy "Universal Studios Transformers Bumblebee Elongated Penny Coin Token" on EBAY
Buy "2017 SDCC Transformers JETFIRE Revolutions Hasbro Complete New" on EBAY