Monday, December 25th, 2017 10:43pm CST

Categories: Toy News, Company News
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 29,727

There has been a lot of talk about how odd it is that more and more Takara toys are the exact same as the Hasbro released. We saw it with Trypticon but even more with the Transformers: The Last Knight toylines where even the box was the same. And now with the Power of the Primes toys looking identical for both companies (an example is given below) and both company logos appearing on the upcoming Studio Series toys, this similarity for multiple lines is getting fans both concerned and confused. Is there any hope that those images from Takara were still just placeholders? And what exactly is going on?

Well, the upcoming Figure King magazine (number 239) sheds some light on that and clarifies that indeed what we are seeing is true and intended to be the very same toys. There will be three pages dedicated to Takara's Transformers and the Snakas blog reports that we will not only see the same Power of the Primes toys we have already seen (and which many of us already own) but it will also discuss the new path Takara is taking with figures being identical to Hasbro. The Snakas blog quotes the magazine to say that the companies are "unifying the world brands on an unprecedented scale".

This does confirm the fears many fans had, where Takara is choosing not to do their own take on Generations toys, unlike what has been the case with the Legends line so far. While the movie toys have already been very similar between brands in the past, having other lines be identical at the same time is indeed unprecedented.

This definitely confirms that both companies are looking at their own markets first and foremost and that issuing the same toys for both markets must be more beneficial than the added money of imports. Or at least, this is what would seem to be the case with such an unprecedented decision.

While it does mean that the same deco from Hasbro's Power of the Primes will also be seen in the Takara releases under the same toyline name (which so far excludes complete combiner teams), it does bring about the idea that maybe Takara is satisfied with the deco for their own market. Jazz for instance is a deluxe combiner which uses clear plastic and thus demands a lot more paint and the only combining deluxe to also need that was Groove which was a Takara design. So instead of seeing this as Takara lowering their standards for deco, it could be that this unified deco instead takes the Hasbro deco to higher standards than before. What do you think? Let us know!

Takara

Transformers News: Takara's Power of the Primes Toys Confirmed as Identical to Hasbro's to "Unifying the World Brands"

Hasbro

Credit(s): snakas blog

This article was last modified on Tuesday, December 26th, 2017 12:51pm CST

Re: Takara's Power of the Primes Toys Confirmed as Identical to Hasbro's to "Unifying the World Brands" (1928129)
Posted by Hydrargyrus on December 25th, 2017 @ 10:50pm CST
Please nobody freak out. :lol:
Re: Takara's Power of the Primes Toys Confirmed as Identical to Hasbro's to "Unifying the World Brands" (1928131)
Posted by ToaLeePrime on December 25th, 2017 @ 10:58pm CST
MagicDeath wrote:Please nobody freak out. :lol:

*entire site proceeds to freak out*
Re: Takara's Power of the Primes Toys Confirmed as Identical to Hasbro's to "Unifying the World Brands" (1928133)
Posted by william-james88 on December 25th, 2017 @ 11:01pm CST
ToaLeePrime wrote:
MagicDeath wrote:Please nobody freak out. :lol:

*entire site proceeds to freak out*

Haha, but seriously I have seen little to no complaining on this specific site ;)
Re: Takara's Power of the Primes Toys Confirmed as Identical to Hasbro's to "Unifying the World Brands" (1928135)
Posted by ScottyP on December 25th, 2017 @ 11:08pm CST
william-james88 wrote:While the movie toys have already been very similar between brands in the past, having other lines be identical at the same time is indeed unprecedented.
'85 and '86 G1 would like a word

While this news sucks and reeks of non-ironic Total Brand Awareness, I don't think surprise is the right emotion >:oP
Re: Takara's Power of the Primes Toys Confirmed as Identical to Hasbro's to "Unifying the World Brands" (1928136)
Posted by fenrir72 on December 25th, 2017 @ 11:08pm CST
Does not matter so long as it is "available". Most often than not,scalpers tend to buy everything on the shelf at TRU (well so long as it exists) hence the need (on my part to import). Same thing happened when the original Skrapnel/Reflector was released.......scalpers got to him or in the case of TFA Arcee, HB sh1tty distribution or both.

Availability first then the added bling (which is the bonus). Though the "unification" for both sides of the Pacific might also mean that some cost cutting is indeed coming the way ( here's hoping its not an ominous sign for the future :PRAY: ).
Re: Takara's Power of the Primes Toys Confirmed as Identical to Hasbro's to "Unifying the World Brands" (1928137)
Posted by Seibertron on December 25th, 2017 @ 11:15pm CST
I am beyond thrilled about this change. Amen.
Re: Takara's Power of the Primes Toys Confirmed as Identical to Hasbro's to "Unifying the World Brands" (1928139)
Posted by lbock on December 25th, 2017 @ 11:18pm CST
I don't think uniting the brands is necessarily a bad thing. It seems like the Hasbro figures have included a lot more paint in the last year and most of the Takara figures haven't been enough of an upgrade to justify the import price. If Takara can either have more input on the figures or focus more on the MP line, then I will be happy.
Re: Takara's Power of the Primes Toys Confirmed as Identical to Hasbro's to "Unifying the World Brands" (1928140)
Posted by RodimusRex on December 25th, 2017 @ 11:23pm CST
I think having completely separate decos was probably a bit silly for every toy.

Hasbro making every deco based on the G1 toys was also silly. Compromise decos would be ideal, honestly.

And for certain figures, a "DX" premium version from Takara would be nice. And it would also be nice if Tribute/Platinum used those decos rather than employ the somewhat weird decos Platinum would sometimes choose to do. (Tribute's been pretty sensible. It was Platinum that sometimes did real headscratchers.)
Re: Takara's Power of the Primes Toys Confirmed as Identical to Hasbro's to "Unifying the World Brands" (1928145)
Posted by william-james88 on December 25th, 2017 @ 11:46pm CST
ScottyP wrote:
'85 and '86 G1 would like a word

I think they meant since the changes between toys became a norm :) And since there have been more than just one line as well.

Seibertron wrote:I am beyond thrilled about this change. Amen.

I have always been intrigued and interested in this view point since you know so much more about the markets (and their history) than I do. Plus you have the points of view of both the consumer and seller. So, when you have a moment, please share your thoughts as to why this is such a sensible path to take, I would like to know more :)
Re: Takara's Power of the Primes Toys Confirmed as Identical to Hasbro's to "Unifying the World Brands" (1928147)
Posted by Rated X on December 26th, 2017 @ 12:47am CST
Im cool with it if they eliminate stickers forever and no more toy accurate decos that homage gang molding (orange hot rod hands, purple blitzwing face, red ultra magnus thighs, etc.) Just go with toon accuracy 100%
Re: Takara's Power of the Primes Toys Confirmed as Identical to Hasbro's to "Unifying the World Brands" (1928148)
Posted by Agent 53 on December 26th, 2017 @ 12:48am CST
This is the opposite of bad news. If Takara and Hasbro are making identical toys then we don't need to spend a ton to import the classically superior Takara figures because we could get the same ones from our own shops.
Re: Takara's Power of the Primes Toys Confirmed as Identical to Hasbro's to "Unifying the World Brands" (1928152)
Posted by Skritz on December 26th, 2017 @ 2:05am CST

I mean can't be as bad as the Toys R Us TLK version of Stealth Bomber Megatron. That thing I ended up regretting deeply simply because how small and flimsy it felt. But at least Starscream has bulk, fills a hole in my collection and can be a combiner torso! Or am I making excuses for what seemingly the entire fanbase has declared a crummy figure? Because he's still not the hottest mess in my collection, even counting all the Beast Wars stuff. ESPECIALLY when counting the Beast Wars stuff.

Looking at you Injector and Retrax. >:oP
Re: Takara's Power of the Primes Toys Confirmed as Identical to Hasbro's to "Unifying the World Brands" (1928154)
Posted by Aimless Misfire on December 26th, 2017 @ 2:30am CST

But it makes me wonder about Blurr. Which version would we have gotten? The awesome Takara or that Hasbro abomination?
Re: Takara's Power of the Primes Toys Confirmed as Identical to Hasbro's to "Unifying the World Brands" (1928155)
Posted by Cyberpath on December 26th, 2017 @ 2:32am CST
Disappointing. Takara's decos had been consistently better than Hasbro's, imo. And recently Hasbro has even gone with stickers over tampos for some releases. But I wasn't really going to get into the whole "Power of the Primes" thing anyway.
Re: Takara's Power of the Primes Toys Confirmed as Identical to Hasbro's to "Unifying the World Brands" (1928156)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on December 26th, 2017 @ 2:40am CST
Aimless Misfire wrote:I like this because I'm sick of spending more on the Takara figures. Now I only have to worry about Hasbro & save a ton of money.

Going by the TLK line I would assume it would primarily be Hasbro's vision of the toy...since those toys are mostly the same in both Hasbro and Takara versions and show lack of screen-accurate paint apps particularly on Wave 1 Bee and Voyager Prime's robot mode. Though in some cases at least the Takara versions come with more accessories like W3 Bee's hammer and Hound's shield/truck-backthingy. Past movie lines have generally had the Takara version looking improved in some way regarding paint apps and such. We know Takara loves cartoon-accuracy though but then that's complicated in itself cos some of us fans like more detail the original toys had and some prefer total toon-look and at least with the majority of the toys we had a choice even if the toon-fans had to generally pay a bit more to import. I'm usually one for the detail but even I bought Legends Blurr over Hasbro's just cos that Takara colour scheme was frickin' gorgeous and Hasbro's was super-drab.

I can get behind the unifying but only if it results in truly the best product. But even so I just don't see much in quality in the PotP line to begin with. I would prefer that Takara WOULD try improve on those toys considerably.
Re: Takara's Power of the Primes Toys Confirmed as Identical to Hasbro's to "Unifying the World Brands" (1928158)
Posted by Nemesis Destron on December 26th, 2017 @ 2:46am CST
Takara if this was all one huge prank to screw with us fans my hats off to you...well played! :APPLAUSE: :BOWDOWN: ;)^

BUT if there is no humor involved in this disturbing outcome then I think we deserve some form of understanding to all this....please???

I will now accept this bizzaro-like reality and still hope that all this maybe some kind of research project to see how this might affect :TAKARATOMY: sales...'nuff said. :-P :VEHI:
Re: Takara's Power of the Primes Toys Confirmed as Identical to Hasbro's to "Unifying the World Brands" (1928159)
Posted by hushed on December 26th, 2017 @ 2:56am CST
Bronzewolf wrote:It's unknown how these errors are occuring, but there have been no reports of Micronus or Vector Primes shipping without any Prime Masters at all.
Several Seibertron board members have expressed interest in documenting this strange anomaly, so if you run into any Power of the Primes figure that includes two Prime Masters please leave a comment in the Energon Pub Forums below. There might be some information on your figure that could help us track down exactly what production lot run these errors are coming from!

Possibly we can find the errors are on specific production dates?

For those who aren't familiar with how Hasbro dates products:

My MAGA Jazz is numbered 72341. The 7 represents 2017, and 234 represents the 234rd day of the year. The 1 is a fairly standard on nearly all of their products. I don't think anyone has ever been able to track down what the 1 signifies. There are rare examples of GI Joe figures from the 80s ending with a 2 or a 3.
Re: Takara's Power of the Primes Toys Confirmed as Identical to Hasbro's to "Unifying the World Brands" (1928161)
Posted by RAR on December 26th, 2017 @ 3:00am CST
Skritz wrote:Does it make me a bad toy collector that I don't find PotP 'screamer as horrific as everyone else says? He's really not the figure I regretted the most buying at retail price when he came out.

Looking at you Injector and Retrax. >:oP

Retrax is a bit iffy as he can't stand up well - but his action feature is at least creative. Injector I've always really liked and lamented that he wasn't offered in other colours - perhaps that is in part due to Beast Wars Neo's use of the mould - But I just like Fuzors in general.

I don't hate Starscream for his mould I have 2 objections

1) Elita-One has a way better body so why didn't they give him more of her's after all Starscream is supposed to be lithe.

2) The Stickers are poorly placed, cheesy in their details and of low quality. - If they'd been smaller and inset or on a optional sticker sheet I'd not even mention it - but now I have to ponder if I want to rip them all off & repaint the entire figure and possibly kit bash parts from an Elita One or not - which isn't really ideal.

Grimlock isn't much better he's just as horribly disproportionate as Starscream is ; But at least the stickers are more tastefully placed ; he's likely going to need a 3rd party tail extension to look anywhere near correct though in dino mode.

I really like the Legends - they are all pretty much terrific the Primemasters are adorable (though I wish they'd kept the belly screws for customising reasons)

The Deluxes are 'OK' in a sort of Combiner Wars like way ; as I said I actually like Elita-One's body design more than Starscream's though I would have preferred and entire team of females to combine with her rather than a mix of genders.

It's not the best line ever an perhaps the gimmick isn't ideal - Rodimus Prime needs killing with fire - but otherwise they are not hateful or anything like that - the Legends in particular are actually "Good".
Re: Takara's Power of the Primes Toys Confirmed as Identical to Hasbro's to "Unifying the World Brands" (1928163)
Posted by RAR on December 26th, 2017 @ 3:33am CST
So long as they still do additional unique items I don't mind them sharing the Hasbro products - I would however like the sticker issue addressed sooner rather than later.

I don't object to stickers so much as I object to BAD STICKERS. the ones they had as bonus sheets worked just fine for example. Typticon's stickers though were not great and he really needed some additional paint (like on the decks and ramps & his companion character).

Perhaps they could look into the idea of using coloured plastic inserts instead of the paint it might have some durability benefits too especially when it comes time to make things like Scorponok.

Oh there is one slight problem I see though for Takara and that might mean they have to carry on making the giftsets (namely Hydra & Buster) so perhaps the biggest issue (the Voyagers bad decos) might not be an issue at all if they carry on making Unite Warriors giftsets anyway.
Re: Takara's Power of the Primes Toys Confirmed as Identical to Hasbro's to "Unifying the World Brands" (1928164)
Posted by RAR on December 26th, 2017 @ 3:34am CST
Sorry about that there was a "Double post"

Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Darkmoon and Astrotrain" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 01 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #274 - Pulse Fan Fest 2021
"Pulse Fan Fest 2021"
Posted: Sunday, April 18th, 2021

Buy "Transformers BLAST OFF and MEGATRONUS Amazon Exclusive Combiner Wars Prime" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Titans Return Wheelie Generations Legends Rare Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Onslaught Combaticons Leader Combiner Wars In Box" on EBAY
Buy "?? Transformers Titans Return Legends COSMOS & SEASPRAY figure Lot Authentic" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return TRYPTICON Factory Sealed MISB HASBRO" on EBAY