TakaraTomy MP-28 HotRod Video Transformation

Wednesday, February 3rd, 2016 6:43pm CST

Categories: Toy News, Reviews
Posted by: carytheone   Views: 30,141

Following the previous in-hand images and size comparison; fellow Seibertronian King Dork has alerted us to a video transformation of TakaraTomy's MP-28 Hot Rod. The video is not narrated, but a possible issue with ground clearance is pointed out. After you watch the video refresh your memory with our gallery of MP-09 Rodimus Prime.

Do you have have MP-28 on pre-order? Did this video change your mind? Is the ground clearance issue a possible mis-transformation? Hit the jump and tell us what you think in the discussion below.

Remember to keep your browsers pointed to Seibertron.com for the latest in Transformer news, the largest Transformers galleries found on the web and the liveliest Transformers discussion this side of a space bridge.

Credit(s): YouTube user daimchoc

Re: TakaraTomy MP-28 HotRod Video Transformation (1762699)
Posted by william-james88 on February 3rd, 2016 @ 8:08pm CST
I'm still unsure. The transformation is really nice and meaty but also super delicate. I see myself breaking him after transforming him multiple times, especially those clear plastic tabs. One thing though, I no longer have any issue with the backpack, it just makes him look a bit more beefy but I have no problem with that. If I were to get him, he would actually serve as Rodimus Prime next to Arcee, Springer and CW Ultra Magnus since the added bulk works well with that leader character.
Re: TakaraTomy MP-28 HotRod Video Transformation (1762723)
Posted by Bounti76 on February 3rd, 2016 @ 8:33pm CST
I'll still pick him up. The transformation looks fun, and most of all, a billion times simpler than MP Rodimus Prime. Some of the pieces on previous MPs are delicate as well, so that's not an issue for me.
Re: TakaraTomy MP-28 HotRod Video Transformation (1762727)
Posted by galvatron00 on February 3rd, 2016 @ 8:41pm CST
I've said it before and I'll say it again.."When will then be now?!"
Re: TakaraTomy MP-28 HotRod Video Transformation (1762737)
Posted by william-james88 on February 3rd, 2016 @ 8:56pm CST
itscramtastic wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again.."When will then be now?!"

Re: TakaraTomy MP-28 HotRod Video Transformation (1762739)
Posted by Agamemnon on February 3rd, 2016 @ 8:58pm CST

Soon!!

william-james88 wrote:This might be a reference I am not getting. In case you are asking about the release date, its at the end of the month.

Spaceballs :-$
Re: TakaraTomy MP-28 HotRod Video Transformation (1762741)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on February 3rd, 2016 @ 9:00pm CST
william-james88 wrote:

And here I thought I was the only one who appreciated Space Balls :lol:

And with that review now up, shouldn't be too long. I think this person did the same with CW Magnus and he was out only 3 weeks after the video widespread :BOT:
Re: TakaraTomy MP-28 HotRod Video Transformation (1762749)
Posted by hinomars19 on February 3rd, 2016 @ 9:05pm CST
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:
william-james88 wrote:

And here I thought I was the only one who appreciated Space Balls :lol:

ONLY 3 weeks? :-(
Re: TakaraTomy MP-28 HotRod Video Transformation (1762750)
Posted by Sabrblade on February 3rd, 2016 @ 9:05pm CST
Agamemnon wrote:

Soon!!
Fixed that for ya. ;)
Re: TakaraTomy MP-28 HotRod Video Transformation (1762752)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on February 3rd, 2016 @ 9:06pm CST
hinomars19 wrote:
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:
william-james88 wrote:

And here I thought I was the only one who appreciated Space Balls :lol:

ONLY 3 weeks? :-(

Better than 4 weeks!! :BOT:
Re: TakaraTomy MP-28 HotRod Video Transformation (1762758)
Posted by Agamemnon on February 3rd, 2016 @ 9:17pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:
Agamemnon wrote:

Soon!!
Fixed that for ya. ;)

:lol:
Re: TakaraTomy MP-28 HotRod Video Transformation (1762773)
Posted by f-primus-unicron on February 3rd, 2016 @ 9:44pm CST
i still prefer the old mp rodimus
Re: TakaraTomy MP-28 HotRod Video Transformation (1762775)
Posted by fenrir72 on February 3rd, 2016 @ 9:47pm CST
f-primus-unicron wrote:i still prefer the old mp rodimus

Uhhhhhh this is "Hotrod"imus.
Re: TakaraTomy MP-28 HotRod Video Transformation (1762777)
Posted by galvatron00 on February 3rd, 2016 @ 9:51pm CST
Agamemnon wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
Agamemnon wrote:
Soon!!
Fixed that for ya. ;)
:lol:
:lol: :lol: :APPLAUSE:
Re: TakaraTomy MP-28 HotRod Video Transformation (1762778)
Posted by Optimutt on February 3rd, 2016 @ 9:53pm CST
william-james88 wrote:

Egads, man! You didn't get this? Stop whatever you are doing and go and watch Spaceballs now! Not later, not in a few moments, but get yourself into ludicrous speed and watch Spaceballs now!

As for Hot Rod? Pretty. Nice-looking transformation, even in spite of the shell-flipping and folding. But very pretty in both modes. Too bad he can't roll.
Re: TakaraTomy MP-28 HotRod Video Transformation (1762791)
Posted by f-primus-unicron on February 3rd, 2016 @ 10:14pm CST
Re: TakaraTomy MP-28 HotRod Video Transformation (1762793)
Posted by .... on February 3rd, 2016 @ 10:21pm CST
fenrir72 wrote:
f-primus-unicron wrote:i still prefer the old mp rodimus

Uhhhhhh this is "Hotrod"imus.

Also that old toy had worse issues, like BREAKAGE.
Re: TakaraTomy MP-28 HotRod Video Transformation (1762861)
Posted by Lord Nightmare on February 4th, 2016 @ 4:58am CST
As much as I dislike the back pack I realise there is nothing else they could do to get the transformation to work (Takara\Hasbro need to invent mass displacement for real).

I like the transformation look solid enough to me looks like everything will stick in place once transformed (unlike MP09)

Disappointed with the ground clearance in Alt mode but I guess bigger wheels would be to big for the mould and back pack (come with read tyres).

I will still pick this guy up despite my above objections so I can finally have MP-28 as hotrod and keep MP-09 as my Rodimus Prime.
Re: TakaraTomy MP-28 HotRod Video Transformation (1762872)
Posted by frogbat on February 4th, 2016 @ 6:32am CST
Spaceballs is on my list of fave movies of all time up there with transformers and the goonies. Introduced my gf to it recently and only during that viewing I picked up on the Kafka joke!

Re this guy... Well I'm a sucker and I'll get him even if he isn't my fave. I stopped collecting mp's with rodimus cos I couldn't find him at a decent price and I wasn't super convinced. Think this guy will look great next to Magnus just the same (fell back in love with the mp line after sideswipe).
Re: TakaraTomy MP-28 HotRod Video Transformation (1762888)
Posted by King Dork on February 4th, 2016 @ 8:43am CST
And again, I think we should buy mp-09 and mp-28, because when hot rod gets the matrix, he grows like 2x as tall, mp-09 is too tall, mp-28 is a little too small, but again, he is supposed to be that, I would just buy the toys r us exclusive, and the mp028, and get it over with, mp-28 looks good, fanstoys looks okay. I would buy mp028 first though.
Re: TakaraTomy MP-28 HotRod Video Transformation (1762900)
Posted by galvatron00 on February 4th, 2016 @ 9:00am CST
f-primus-unicron wrote:honestly i like it quite a bit, only that i like the other one more, anyway, looking at him i think if a third party company wanted, would do a new chest that folded just a bit better, is not even much what it is needes just half a centimeter on heach side of the headlights and thats it
I think the FANS TOYS version folds up better, at least we know this guy is just a few months from release and who knows when FT will be released.

Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titan Masters Fangry Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Megatron and Doomshot" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #271 - Meh-pisode
"Meh-pisode"
Posted: Friday, March 5th, 2021

Buy "Transformers G1 Thundercracker near complete in good condition not reissue" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots Quickshadow" on EBAY
Buy "Mint Used Decepticon Berserker, Transformers The Last Knight Premier Edition " on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots High Tide Blue Boat VHTF Retired" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Daca Toys Kronos" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Leader DOUBLEDEALER  NIB NEW" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots High Tide" on EBAY