Wednesday, December 5th, 2018 9:32am CST

Category: Toy News
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 17,438

If judging from the non Japanese Transformers community on social media and the forums, one would think Takara's Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime Ver 3 to be dead on arrival, due to the price which makes it the most expensive Transformers figure ever released by them.

Well as it turns out, money talks, and the current best selling collectible on Amazon Japan (the preffered destination for Transformers in Japan) is none other than MP-44 Optimus Prime. This confirms that Takara's target audience, Japanese fans, are excited about this release and the price was not the deterent some thought it would be. Of course, Amazon Japan is selling this toy at 30% off MSRP, but that is customary for toy retailers in Japan and in line with every other Japanese retailer selling this toy.

Plus, the $300 USD price on Amazon is still a major increase to the previous high priced MP, Beast Wars Megatron, which Amazon Japan was selling for around $200 USD. That means retail prices for high priced MPs have jumped 50% from one release to the next and yet the toy is still a #1 best seller.

Transformers News: The Most Expensive Transformers Toy from Takara, MP-44 Optimus Prime, is #1 Best Seller on Amazon

Cyberpath wrote:

Credit(s): Amazon Japan

This article was last modified on Wednesday, December 5th, 2018 9:37am CST

Re: The Most Expensive Transformers Toy from Takara, MP-44 Optimus Prime, is #1 Best Seller on Amazon (1997170)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on December 5th, 2018 @ 10:00am CST
Re: The Most Expensive Transformers Toy from Takara, MP-44 Optimus Prime, is #1 Best Seller on Amazon (1997182)
Posted by Randomhero on December 5th, 2018 @ 11:03am CST
One of my friends really wants one but cant justify spending that price. I told him if “if you can, just put $30-$50 to the side every month until he’s released”. That’s plenty of time. That’s my plan. I get our weekday and I’m just gonna out $10 to the side every week until he comes out and if I’m short than I’m short around $20-$30.
Re: The Most Expensive Transformers Toy from Takara, MP-44 Optimus Prime, is #1 Best Seller on Amazon (1997183)
Posted by joevill on December 5th, 2018 @ 11:04am CST
:lol:
Re: The Most Expensive Transformers Toy from Takara, MP-44 Optimus Prime, is #1 Best Seller on Amazon (1997185)
Posted by Ironhidensh on December 5th, 2018 @ 11:12am CST
Damn, that's depressing.
Re: The Most Expensive Transformers Toy from Takara, MP-44 Optimus Prime, is #1 Best Seller on Amazon (1997186)
Posted by hausjam on December 5th, 2018 @ 12:17pm CST
william-james88 wrote:

Screen Shot 12-05-18 at 12.14 PM.PNG

And i love that one of the most complained about figures of all time is their third best seller right now.
Re: The Most Expensive Transformers Toy from Takara, MP-44 Optimus Prime, is #1 Best Seller on Amazon (1997187)
Posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman on December 5th, 2018 @ 12:18pm CST
I think there must be a lot of Japanese collectors with more money than sense. Or taste.

Rodimus Prime wrote:Obviously the price makes it impossible to get for me, but I will say that it looks good. The colors could be better, but otherwise it seems to be an improvement over MP-01 and MP-10. Looks like they finally got both modes right.

The way I see it they made them both even more wrong. The truck mode with those pathetic ugly nigh-2D fuel tanks (which are DEFINITELY not cartoon accurate) and that mess of kibble on the bed, the robot mode by actually indulging in the disappearing tires on his legs, both modes with the dumbed-down (and inconsistent) decals and the flat colors. To call those cartoon accurate is to insult the efforts of animators to depict those parts as shiny silver chrome and whatnot like the toys within the limits of their budget and time constraints.
Re: The Most Expensive Transformers Toy from Takara, MP-44 Optimus Prime, is #1 Best Seller on Amazon (1997188)
Posted by Nathaniel Prime on December 5th, 2018 @ 12:36pm CST
When I first saw the backpack, Ivwas ok with it even though I knew MP10 did it better. But upon hearing this thing actually houses speakers, I forgave it completely. Maybe he can have light up eyes too? I kinda feel like his damaged face could use some for his deathbed scene. :-? I really like this Prime, from the Gundam-esque headsculpt and proportions to the extreme posability(he pulls off the "holding his ion cannon with two hands" look way better than any other Prime I've seen.) Wish I could afford it though, but I will probably put aside 20$ a week for it till it comes.
Re: The Most Expensive Transformers Toy from Takara, MP-44 Optimus Prime, is #1 Best Seller on Amazon (1997190)
Posted by Octobotimus on December 5th, 2018 @ 12:44pm CST
I find it rather sad seeing how some people are too dam loyal to takara, takara will see this as an "oh, sweet, we can sell it at any price at this point. lets release the next one at $500". We need to show them with out wallets that we don't want these prices, not with forums. They will never care what we say on here, but they do care when they end up making less money.
Re: The Most Expensive Transformers Toy from Takara, MP-44 Optimus Prime, is #1 Best Seller on Amazon (1997193)
Posted by william-james88 on December 5th, 2018 @ 1:09pm CST
Octobotimus wrote:We need to show them with out wallets that we don't want these prices, not with forums. They will never care what we say on here, but they do care when they end up making less money.

For sure, but as the article shows, its too late. People did vote with their wallets and they voted yes to the most expensive Transformers product ever released by Takara.

joevill wrote::lol:

I was laughing too, hence why I just had to news this.
Re: The Most Expensive Transformers Toy from Takara, MP-44 Optimus Prime, is #1 Best Seller on Amazon (1997197)
Posted by megatronus on December 5th, 2018 @ 1:18pm CST
william-james88 wrote:We will leave you now with this fun comparison by fellow CSeibertronian Cyberpath between MP 10, MP 44 and the G1 cartoon.

Cyberpath wrote:

Re: The Most Expensive Transformers Toy from Takara, MP-44 Optimus Prime, is #1 Best Seller on Amazon (1997198)
Posted by megatronus on December 5th, 2018 @ 1:21pm CST
Case in point:

Re: The Most Expensive Transformers Toy from Takara, MP-44 Optimus Prime, is #1 Best Seller on Amazon (1997199)
Posted by Cobotron on December 5th, 2018 @ 1:22pm CST
megatronus wrote:

Cyberpath wrote:

Yeah! Cyberpath, I demand you post that kickass stop motion GIF you made of this scene with your MP-10. ;)
Re: The Most Expensive Transformers Toy from Takara, MP-44 Optimus Prime, is #1 Best Seller on Amazon (1997200)
Posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman on December 5th, 2018 @ 1:25pm CST
^Quite. It's not even actually that hard a pose. Hell, the G1 Optimus toy can do it (at least above the waist) if holding a version of his rifle that has the peg where it should be.

william-james88 wrote:

Like I said, Japanese collectors with more money than sense or taste.
Re: The Most Expensive Transformers Toy from Takara, MP-44 Optimus Prime, is #1 Best Seller on Amazon (1997201)
Posted by Colt on December 5th, 2018 @ 1:27pm CST
Re: The Most Expensive Transformers Toy from Takara, MP-44 Optimus Prime, is #1 Best Seller on Amazon (1997202)
Posted by Cyberpath on December 5th, 2018 @ 1:29pm CST

I have a feeling that quite a few of the people saying that they won't buy him, will get him eventually. Whether they'll jump on board till August, or get him as a gift from a loved one, or look for him later on eBay, or get an eventual reissue, or something. Wait and see. I was right about him being a top seller. ;)

megatronus wrote:I feel like this image is really unfair to MP10. He can get waaayyy closer to the iconic pose than that.

I got you.

Re: The Most Expensive Transformers Toy from Takara, MP-44 Optimus Prime, is #1 Best Seller on Amazon (1997205)
Posted by Cyberpath on December 5th, 2018 @ 1:38pm CST
Colt wrote:Seems a little too biased against MP-10. It feels like it was purposely posed bad to make MP-44 look better.

It's from a magazine piece promoting MP-10.

Re: The Most Expensive Transformers Toy from Takara, MP-44 Optimus Prime, is #1 Best Seller on Amazon (1997208)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on December 5th, 2018 @ 1:41pm CST
Cyberpath wrote:It has nothing to do with loyalty to Takara. People love this character, especially in this form, they want him; the company knows this and is making bank.

I smell what you’re cooking, Cyber, and I’m with ya. Haters gonna wait, but but only so long.
Re: The Most Expensive Transformers Toy from Takara, MP-44 Optimus Prime, is #1 Best Seller on Amazon (1997211)
Posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman on December 5th, 2018 @ 1:49pm CST
I'm not. If I sock away for an MP Optimus it'll be MP-10. Unless they make one that's an actual improvement instead of this waste of plastic.
Re: The Most Expensive Transformers Toy from Takara, MP-44 Optimus Prime, is #1 Best Seller on Amazon (1997213)
Posted by Burn on December 5th, 2018 @ 2:07pm CST
Re: The Most Expensive Transformers Toy from Takara, MP-44 Optimus Prime, is #1 Best Seller on Amazon (1997214)
Posted by megatronus on December 5th, 2018 @ 2:09pm CST
Burn wrote:Even if I won the lotto and had the money to burn, I'd still be questioning whether it's worth spending that much on a figure that I won't be transforming.

I'm warming to MP44 and I hate myself for it.

Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #278 - The Return of Rodimus Prime
"The Return of Rodimus Prime"
Posted: Sunday, June 13th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Kre-O 30662 Ratchet new sealed hasbro unopened 187 pieces" on EBAY
Buy "ULTRA MAGNUS Transformers Kingdom War For Cybertron Trilogy Leader Class 2021" on EBAY
Buy "KRE-O TRANSFORMERS LOT IRONHIDE & MEGATRON KREON BATTLE CHANGER SEALED" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime Robots in Disguise Autobot Ratchet Deluxe Action Figure " on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS RESCUE BOTS SALVAGE, Griffin Rock Construction Team Flip Racer 2017" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers DOTM Battle In Moon Light Cyberverse Optimus Prime Trailer Part" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime First Edition Bulkhead Takara Tomy MISB MINT" on EBAY