The Next New Live Action Transformers Film Receives Release Date

The Next New Live Action Transformers Film Receives Release Date

Saturday, May 2nd, 2020 4:04pm CDT

Category: Movie Related News
Posted by: D-Maximal_Primal   Views: 41,644

Thanks to reports coming in new outlets including Deadline, we have news that the next live action Transformers film has finally received a release date.

This information comes to us from Paramount themselves, as reported by Deadline. The next film was given the release date of June 24, 2022, which will place it almost 4 years after the Bumblebee movie in terms of release date, following a similar release date difference to the Dark of the Moon and Age of Extinction break. This also places it back in the Summer release schedule time period, which prior to Bumblebee every live action Transformers had followed.

There are currently 2 films scripts that are up for consideration for this time slot, which includes the Beast Wars based film written by James Vanderbilt of Murder Mystery fame, and another movie set in the prior live-action universe written by Joby Harold of Army of the Dead Fame. Which movie will get this slot is yet to be determined, and whether or not both films get made is also still up for debate.

This is also separate from the Animated Transformers film.

Check out the excerpt from the Deadline article below, and let us know what you think of this news in the comments section below!

Paramount has given a date for a new live-action Transformers movie of June 24, 2022.

The studio is in development on two different projects: one by Murder Mystery scribe James Vanderbilt and the other by John Wick Chapter 3 EP and Army of the Dead scribe Joby Harold. The Vanderbilt project, from what we’ve heard, is based on Transformers spinoff Beast Wars which are robots that transform into robotic animals like Cheetor (Cheetah), Optimus Primal (Gorilla), Rhinox (Rhinoceros) and more. The other is reportedly in the Bumblebee universe. It’s not definite yet which one will make it to production.

Credit(s): Paramount, Deadline

Re: The Next New Live Action Transformers Film Receives Release Date (2063168)
Posted by ZeroWolf on May 2nd, 2020 @ 4:23pm CDT
I would be suprised if it wasn't the Bumblebee follow up myself. That seems more a sure fire bet
Re: The Next New Live Action Transformers Film Receives Release Date (2063170)
Posted by TulioDude on May 2nd, 2020 @ 5:06pm CDT
Re: The Next New Live Action Transformers Film Receives Release Date (2063171)
Posted by Stormshot_Prime on May 2nd, 2020 @ 5:21pm CDT
As much as I REALLY want a Live Action Beast Wars, I feel like Hasbro is going to go with the animated movie. It just seems easier to market, and of course Hasbro wants to sell more Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Megatron, Starscream, etc toys rather than toys of "new" characters that many people wont recognize (speaking of the majority of filmgoers who's main/only exposure to Transformers has been Bayverse).

Hasbro has been moving away from the original creative spark that drove the franchise in the early 2000s for the 5ish years or so, choosing to rehash G1 over and over. I honestly miss the old days when they would be creative and try a whole new version of the franchise, which is how we got Beast Wars in the first place.

So given all that, I think it's a safe bet we'll be seeing this animated "prequel", full of characters who we've been seeing/buying for nearly a decade now. :roll:

But I could be completely wrong, and I really hope so. Let Transformers be different again!
Re: The Next New Live Action Transformers Film Receives Release Date (2063172)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on May 2nd, 2020 @ 5:23pm CDT
Stormshot_Prime wrote:As much as I REALLY want a Live Action Beast Wars, I feel like Hasbro is going to go with the animated movie. It just seems easier to market, and of course Hasbro wants to sell more Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Megatron, Starscream, etc toys rather than toys of "new" characters that many people wont recognize.

I'm not sure you read the article correctly, this news for a live action film, the animated movie from a few days ago is entirely separate from this movie date announcement
Re: The Next New Live Action Transformers Film Receives Release Date (2063173)
Posted by ZeroWolf on May 2nd, 2020 @ 5:26pm CDT
Indeed we're getting the animated movie and either the Bumblebee sequel or Beast Wars
Re: The Next New Live Action Transformers Film Receives Release Date (2063174)
Posted by Stormshot_Prime on May 2nd, 2020 @ 5:30pm CDT
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:

I did not, thanks for pointing that out! In that case, I believe it'll be a potential Bumblebee follow-up, which wouldn't be a bad thing at all. But I still stand by my take on the LA Beast Wars, the most we can do at this point is hope.
Re: The Next New Live Action Transformers Film Receives Release Date (2063175)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on May 2nd, 2020 @ 5:36pm CDT
Me personally, I want this to be a Beast Wars movie. I want this to be them
Re: The Next New Live Action Transformers Film Receives Release Date (2063181)
Posted by ZeroWolf on May 2nd, 2020 @ 6:11pm CDT
Re: The Next New Live Action Transformers Film Receives Release Date (2063185)
Posted by Skritz on May 2nd, 2020 @ 7:09pm CDT

Just because, damn it, its Waspinator.
Re: The Next New Live Action Transformers Film Receives Release Date (2063187)
Posted by Hellscream9999 on May 2nd, 2020 @ 7:22pm CDT
Skritz wrote:I'd imagine most of these characters are given to bigger actors, as they don't quite have the appeal of 'muh GEEWUN' so they can get away with recasting almost everyone. That said: Scott McNeill back as Waspinator would be the one thing I'd want out of this movie, even if everything else is absolute childhood-breaking garbage.

Just because, damn it, its Waspinator.

Warden can cover his ears all he wants, but a huge chunk of the bw season 1 cast is in the tf hall of fame, clearly, there's something there.

I think a live action bw movie could look interesting, with all the live action animal-based movies disney has put out, there is a lot of software out there all ready that could make them really animated and expressive (a hallmark of all the bw characters if you ask me)
Re: The Next New Live Action Transformers Film Receives Release Date (2063191)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 2nd, 2020 @ 9:30pm CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:If it was a beast wars movie, would they get the original voice cast to return (or just Primal)? They made a big deal of getting Cullen for prime in the normal movies, I just wonder if they would extend thd same courtesy to Gary
Only if the voice over recording is outsourced to Vancouver, Canada instead of done locally in Los Angeles (as was done for the previous films and understandably so since these films are Hollywood productions).
Re: The Next New Live Action Transformers Film Receives Release Date (2063193)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on May 2nd, 2020 @ 9:42pm CDT

Yes, I know I'm in the small minority of those who want that.
Re: The Next New Live Action Transformers Film Receives Release Date (2063205)
Posted by TulioDude on May 2nd, 2020 @ 10:54pm CDT
Rodimus Prime wrote:I would like to see the Maximals and Predacons on the big screen, but I really hope that with the way TLK ended we get a proper conclusion to that story.

Yes, I know I'm in the small minority of those who want that.

They could do like X-men:Days of Future Past and make the present day storyline cross paths with the past timeline.
Re: The Next New Live Action Transformers Film Receives Release Date (2063213)
Posted by Deadput on May 3rd, 2020 @ 12:23am CDT
This might be an ok movie in-of-itself but anyone getting their hopes up that it's going to meet any expectations that this movie will be like the Beast Wars show is going to be disappointing.

Even if they have the Transformer designs just like the show the movie story and such itself will be new, it will be the Bayformers of Beast Wars even if it's a good movie, this is a reimagining not an adaptation.

They can't fit more then 5 or so episodes of story into one movie so the scope will be limited and so will the characters.

I'm not saying this movie will be bad, I'm saying it will not live up to expectations.
Re: The Next New Live Action Transformers Film Receives Release Date (2063221)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on May 3rd, 2020 @ 4:51am CDT
As much of a fan of Beast Wars as I am, I really hope this film never comes to be. Make a Bumblebee sequel, sure. It had more going for it than the previous few Live Action films, but not Beast Wars.

The part they don't get is Beast Wars isn't "a spin off" (I rolled my eyes when I read that), it is a Legacy series. Is there enough legacy to the Bayformers series to portray their future descendants? Absolutely not. They barely set foot off of Earth. Hardly a civil war across the galaxy that would influence the future.

Just throwing out a brand name, as a cash grab, will always lure a certain set of people. But a gross misunderstanding of what that property even is, dooms the film before it even starts. As far as explaining BW to a general audience, I'd expect it to be equally as superficial...

Studio: "That Optimus Prime turns into an ape"
General Audience: "Why?"
Studio: "Because Beast Wars. Geddit?"
Re: The Next New Live Action Transformers Film Receives Release Date (2063237)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on May 3rd, 2020 @ 10:08am CDT

Yes, I know I'm in the small minority of those who want that.

I'm actually with you, I would like to see a conclusion to TLK
Re: The Next New Live Action Transformers Film Receives Release Date (2063238)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 3rd, 2020 @ 10:17am CDT
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:

Yes, I know I'm in the small minority of those who want that.

I'm actually with you, I would like to see a conclusion to TLK
Re: The Next New Live Action Transformers Film Receives Release Date (2063252)
Posted by Deadput on May 3rd, 2020 @ 1:19pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:

Yes, I know I'm in the small minority of those who want that.

I'm actually with you, I would like to see a conclusion to TLK

There isn't much to really go off of for an ending anyways using only TLK and it's ending.

Quintessa is...alive? She certainly doesn't seem like she once was and besides scheming has little to no power, Megatron got literally disarmed and then got his butt kicked out of a ship (strange to me how it was Nitro Zeus that was the last man standing even if so brief so good for him) and for all we know he died on impact although unlikely which leaves him the biggest loose end, Barricade either escaped to live another day or was killed at Stonehenge.

As for Unicron? Well here is an easy answer, he sleeps and never wakes up which might lead to his death via whatever Quintessa's plan was going to be.

The Autobots go home to Cybertron and maybe get it out of Earth's orbit, the humans have their happy ever afters, consider the Bayverse ended.
Re: The Next New Live Action Transformers Film Receives Release Date (2063253)
Posted by ZeroWolf on May 3rd, 2020 @ 1:38pm CDT
The problem is, that satisfys no one but those who don't like the movies. There is several ways they could take things, and Quintessas plan probably involves doing more then just keeping unicron asleep. Being asleep is not the same as being dead afterall, there's always a chance to wake up (ask Cthuthulu about that). One way to solve the issue is that Unicron's essence is transferred into a host (willing or not) to take the fight to our heroes.

Remember, there's very few bad ideas, just terrible execution. The Bumblebee sequel could turn out just like Revenge of the Fallen depending on writers etc.

I should clarify though that I see a last knight sequel about as likely as G1 Wheelie getting a spin off movie where him and Live Action Wheelie end up in a comedy buddy trip movie. My point is that there's always places to take things of you've got writers willing to do the work, and there's people who want to see more of what happens (just they're in the same boat as those who want Amazing Spider Man 3)
Re: The Next New Live Action Transformers Film Receives Release Date (2063280)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 3rd, 2020 @ 4:31pm CDT
Deadput wrote:(strange to me how it was Nitro Zeus that was the last man standing even if so brief so good for him)
His lasting the longest was likely leftover from an earlier script in which he would have been decapitated and had his body taken over by Cogman, Headmaster-style, based on how the Nitro Zeus toy is Titan Master-compatible for seemingly no in-story reason when going off the final version of the movie.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #251 - Bob Lobclaw's Rumor Mill
"Bob Lobclaw's Rumor Mill"
Posted: Sunday, May 24th, 2020

Buy "Transformers Age of Extinction High Octane Bumblebee" on EBAY
Buy "New Transformers Age of Extinction Deluxe Class Lockdown New in Box NIB MIB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition Cny Year Of The Horse Starscream Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "New Transformers Age of Extinction 12” Lockdown Action Figure New in Box NIB MIB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers lot incomplete Hasbro missing weapons Hot Shot Age of Extinction" on EBAY
Buy "KREO KREON FIGURE OPTIMUS PRIME TRANSFORMERS MOVIE AOE GALVATRON FACTORY BATTLE" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Age of Extinction Silver Knight Optimus Prime 12" Target Exclusive" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Platinum edition Year of The Horse Starscream" on EBAY