Titans Return Wave 3 Autobot Hot Rod video review

Titans Return Wave 3 Autobot Hot Rod video review

Wednesday, November 2nd, 2016 6:42pm CDT

Categories: Toy News, Reviews
Posted by: Kurona   Views: 36,410

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

Following the reviews of the Titans Return Wave 3 Legends and Voyager class figures, we finally get a review for one of the new deluxes from the wave - Hot Rod. RFC Reviews gives us a 13-minute lookover of the 1986 movie star's remake, as linked below.


This article was last modified on Wednesday, November 2nd, 2016 7:13pm CDT

News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Re: Titans Return Wave 3 Autobot Hot Rod video review (1838608)
Posted by Bumblebee21 on November 2nd, 2016 @ 6:44pm CDT
his arms look like dragstrips
Re: Titans Return Wave 3 Autobot Hot Rod video review (1838609)
Posted by Kurona on November 2nd, 2016 @ 6:45pm CDT
SillySpringer wrote:
Kurona wrote:
Bumblebee21 wrote:
Kurona wrote:... nope, not seeing it.

they just need to add another cockpit

Which, due to the nature of the figure and it's transformation, would require a lot of heavy retooling to the point they might as well just make a new mold.
Not to mention that Slugslinger's silhouette requires his wings forming a sort of cape, while Triggerhappy's become his shoulders and arms.


Not exactly. You have to remember that Triggerhappy's windshield chest is only made up of a small PART of the windshield, and most of the nosecone folds up on the back. It's an easy retool, and they made it that way so that they could retool it also into Misfire.

Heck, Triggerhappy's vehicle mode actually looks more like Slugslinger's than the g1 Triggerhappy toy's vehicle mode when you look at how the legs fold up.

I feel it resembles Misfire's a lot more than Slugslinger's, who I think it is intended for.

In any case I do feel it is possible - which I did actually mention a while back - I just don't feel it's immediately obvious and would completely change the figure. Again, the wings go in a completely different place in robot mode.
Re: Titans Return Wave 3 Autobot Hot Rod video review (1838611)
Posted by .... on November 2nd, 2016 @ 6:49pm CDT
Kurona wrote:
SillySpringer wrote:
Kurona wrote:
Bumblebee21 wrote:
Kurona wrote:... nope, not seeing it.

they just need to add another cockpit

Which, due to the nature of the figure and it's transformation, would require a lot of heavy retooling to the point they might as well just make a new mold.
Not to mention that Slugslinger's silhouette requires his wings forming a sort of cape, while Triggerhappy's become his shoulders and arms.


Not exactly. You have to remember that Triggerhappy's windshield chest is only made up of a small PART of the windshield, and most of the nosecone folds up on the back. It's an easy retool, and they made it that way so that they could retool it also into Misfire.

Heck, Triggerhappy's vehicle mode actually looks more like Slugslinger's than the g1 Triggerhappy toy's vehicle mode when you look at how the legs fold up.

I feel it resembles Misfire's a lot more than Slugslinger's, who I think it is intended for.

In any case I do feel it is possible - which I did actually mention a while back - I just don't feel it's immediately obvious and would completely change the figure. Again, the wings go in a completely different place in robot mode.


Hasbro is known for using existing figures to make other characters with slightly different appearances. In fact, having the wings on the backs of the arms would make him look fairly accurate from the front.
Re: Titans Return Wave 3 Autobot Hot Rod video review (1838620)
Posted by Albatross250 on November 2nd, 2016 @ 7:29pm CDT
TF-fan kev777 wrote:
Albatross250 wrote:I'm sure were getting an Overlord ( with ramps and such in his blocky toy version) this late Christmas or by new year (2017) :CON: :D
Anyone Excited for Topspin? :BOT: :DANCE:


Um, Wave 3 is Sixshot (expected in December 2016), and wave 4 is Black Shadow (likely in Feb/March 2017). I don't think Overlord has been officially announced yet, so I have no idea why you would be sure it will be out in Dec 2016/Jan 2017. Was your comment off by a year? Seems like wave 5 (likely May/June 2017) would be the earliest slot he would fit into.

:HEADHURTS: And i though http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/breakdown-by-class-of-upcoming-2017-transformers-titans-return-toys/36337/ he was one of the lists in the 4th wave :HEADHURTS: , Black shadow was on the 5th wave on the list :CON:
Re: Titans Return Wave 3 Autobot Hot Rod video review (1838625)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on November 2nd, 2016 @ 8:18pm CDT
Albatross250 wrote:
TF-fan kev777 wrote:
Albatross250 wrote:I'm sure were getting an Overlord ( with ramps and such in his blocky toy version) this late Christmas or by new year (2017) :CON: :D
Anyone Excited for Topspin? :BOT: :DANCE:


Um, Wave 3 is Sixshot (expected in December 2016), and wave 4 is Black Shadow (likely in Feb/March 2017). I don't think Overlord has been officially announced yet, so I have no idea why you would be sure it will be out in Dec 2016/Jan 2017. Was your comment off by a year? Seems like wave 5 (likely May/June 2017) would be the earliest slot he would fit into.

:HEADHURTS: And i though http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/breakdown-by-class-of-upcoming-2017-transformers-titans-return-toys/36337/ he was one of the lists in the 4th wave :HEADHURTS: , Black shadow was on the 5th wave on the list :CON:


That list was rumor-based, so it's not confirmed official info. Besides Hasbro is known to change its mind on the fly.
Re: Titans Return Wave 3 Autobot Hot Rod video review (1838626)
Posted by Novus on November 2nd, 2016 @ 8:27pm CDT
Albatross250 wrote: :HEADHURTS: And i though http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/ ... oys/36337/ he was one of the lists in the 4th wave :HEADHURTS: , Black shadow was on the 5th wave on the list :CON:


If you look at the list so far the figures revealed so far fit into wave 5 (Excluding Brawn) Perhaps there is some validity to the list? The next reveals will tell.
Re: Titans Return Wave 3 Autobot Hot Rod video review (1838630)
Posted by Ultra Markus on November 2nd, 2016 @ 9:29pm CDT
looks very nice and looks as hotrod should
what i want to see now is an actual rodimus prime figure
which we haven't really seen for a long while
Re: Titans Return Wave 3 Autobot Hot Rod video review (1838637)
Posted by King Kuuga on November 2nd, 2016 @ 10:01pm CDT
Kurona wrote:
King Kuuga wrote:
william-james88 wrote:Sky shadow

Blackshadow

Like his Generations deluxe, Black Shadow is going by the name Sky Shadow in his upcoming toy.

The preview night post referred to him as Blackshadow, the stock images from Hasbro call him "Blackshadow" in the filenames, and John Warden referred to him by both names in the Twitch panel. There were no official name placards at preview night for me to use as an absolute reference, but I have been treating this as evidence that he is officially Blackshadow again. Has there been some official confirmation that he is still Sky Shadow? Because that's why I keep correcting news crew who refer to him as such in official posts.

Kurona wrote:
Bumblebee21 wrote:most likely but look at scourge and highbrow

Essentially just shared engineering and a skeleton. Not exactly a retool.

Highbrow is a FOC-style reshell of Scourge, which falls under the banner of "retool". Someone posted a thorough pictorial comparison earlier in the thread which helps lead to this conclusion.
Re: Titans Return Wave 3 Autobot Hot Rod video review (1838638)
Posted by Crosscheck on November 2nd, 2016 @ 10:12pm CDT
Scourge and Highbrow are reshells. They share much more than toys like Chromedome and Blurr/Brainstorm, who share knees, thighs, Titan Master bodies, and guns.
Re: Titans Return Wave 3 Autobot Hot Rod video review (1838642)
Posted by .... on November 2nd, 2016 @ 10:22pm CDT
Does anyone think it's possible that the next line might be targetmasters? Maybe they would release small packs with targetmasters just like the TR titan master packs for the targetmaster characters in Titans Return like Blurr, Triggerhappy, Misfire, and others? That seems like a likely option to me, and it would also give them to connect all three lines together by giving characters like CW Cyclonus his Nightstick targetmaster also. Then we could also have other targetmaster characters like the three main autobots as deluxes also to go with the TR Headmasters.

Image
Transformers G1 1987 Pointblank (Blanker) Gallery

This could also give them a chance to use molds like TR Triggerhappy, and share engineering to make the third Decepticon targetmaster Slugslinger.

Image
Transformers G1 1987 Slugslinger Gallery
Re: Titans Return Wave 3 Autobot Hot Rod video review (1838643)
Posted by Emerje on November 2nd, 2016 @ 10:23pm CDT
Kurona wrote:Sixshot hasn't shown any compatibility yet, though I think him having his tank mode renamed 'battle station mode' is pretty telling.


They didn't rename it, they mixed up the pictures in the slides.
Image
Image
The picture for tank mode is battle car mode while battle station mode is showing tank mode. That means whatever his real battle station mode is it hasn't been shown yet and he has six alt modes for seven total modes.

Ironhidensh wrote:
Mr Skram wrote:I've only seen one PMOP in stores. No other wave 1 or 2 Leaders at all. Pretty weird. No wave 2 Voyagers yet either.
#-o

Weird. Leader Prime and Blaster are both shelf warming in northern Indiana areas.


Between two Walmarts I've only seen three PMOPs and two Blasters since release. Furthermore I've never seen both at the same time and they're always selling out leaving weeks of no Leaders (aside from CW Skywarp) on the shelves. I still haven't seen wave 2 Voyagers or Leaders either. Plus I've mentioned before that my area completely skipped Titan Masters wave 2, instead jumping to revision wave 2 (Apeface, Brawn, Loudmouth, and Nightbeat) so no Clobber or Skytread for me.

Emerje
Re: Titans Return Wave 3 Autobot Hot Rod video review (1838644)
Posted by Ironhidensh on November 2nd, 2016 @ 10:26pm CDT
Emerje wrote:
Kurona wrote:Sixshot hasn't shown any compatibility yet, though I think him having his tank mode renamed 'battle station mode' is pretty telling.


They didn't rename it, they mixed up the pictures in the slides.
Image
Image
The picture for tank mode is battle car mode while battle station mode is showing tank mode. That means whatever his real battle station mode is it hasn't been shown yet and he has six alt modes for seven total modes.

Ironhidensh wrote:
Mr Skram wrote:I've only seen one PMOP in stores. No other wave 1 or 2 Leaders at all. Pretty weird. No wave 2 Voyagers yet either.
#-o

Weird. Leader Prime and Blaster are both shelf warming in northern Indiana areas.


Between two Walmarts I've only seen three PMOPs and two Blasters since release. Furthermore I've never seen both at the same time and they're always selling out leaving weeks of no Leaders (aside from CW Skywarp) on the shelves. I still haven't seen wave 2 Voyagers or Leaders either. Plus I've mentioned before that my area completely skipped Titan Masters wave 2, instead jumping to revision wave 2 (Apeface, Brawn, Loudmouth, and Nightbeat) so no Clobber or Skytread for me.

Emerje


For my area, it's the voyagers that disappear. Can't find one of those to save your life.
Re: Titans Return Wave 3 Autobot Hot Rod video review (1838646)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on November 2nd, 2016 @ 10:28pm CDT
King Kuuga wrote:
Kurona wrote:
King Kuuga wrote:
william-james88 wrote:Sky shadow

Blackshadow

Like his Generations deluxe, Black Shadow is going by the name Sky Shadow in his upcoming toy.

The preview night post referred to him as Blackshadow, the stock images from Hasbro call him "Blackshadow" in the filenames, and John Warden referred to him by both names in the Twitch panel. There were no official name placards at preview night for me to use as an absolute reference, but I have been treating this as evidence that he is officially Blackshadow again. Has there been some official confirmation that he is still Sky Shadow? Because that's why I keep correcting news crew who refer to him as such in official posts.


We're going by the assumption that Hasbro has not yet been able to claim "Black Shadow" as a trademark in the Toys & Games category. A quick search reveals that "Black Shadow" has already been applied to:

- a motorcycle series
- a wrestler
- a character from Wild Cards
- a vigilante or death squad group in El Salvador, as Sombre Negra
- shockingly, a model of shotgun.
Re: Titans Return Wave 3 Autobot Hot Rod video review (1838647)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on November 2nd, 2016 @ 10:30pm CDT
At the same time, jumping on the Decepticon targetmaster conversation, I don't want them to be retools. I want new molds. Yes we could probably get all 3 targetmasters from a single mold, but is that really what we want? I'd prefer they use new molds, and it does seem they are getting back to pre-CW levels with a smaller number of same molds.
Re: Titans Return Wave 3 Autobot Hot Rod video review (1838656)
Posted by Albatross250 on November 2nd, 2016 @ 10:50pm CDT
Kurona wrote:
King Kuuga wrote:
william-james88 wrote:Sky shadow

Blackshadow


Who's the real name anyway? :HEADHURTS: :lol: :lol: :lol: :CON:
Re: Titans Return Wave 3 Autobot Hot Rod video review (1838657)
Posted by Albatross250 on November 2nd, 2016 @ 10:52pm CDT
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:At the same time, jumping on the Decepticon targetmaster conversation, I don't want them to be retools. I want new molds. Yes we could probably get all 3 targetmasters from a single mold, but is that really what we want? I'd prefer they use new molds, and it does seem they are getting back to pre-CW levels with a smaller number of same molds.


:-? I'm really sure that Misfire will just share parts from other molds
so that doesn't count as "retooling?" :CON:
Re: Titans Return Wave 3 Autobot Hot Rod video review (1838658)
Posted by Emerje on November 2nd, 2016 @ 10:52pm CDT
SillySpringer wrote:Does anyone think it's possible that the next line might be targetmasters?


No, Hasbro stated that Titan Masters are named as such because they fill all three "-master" roles

Headmasters- Form the head of a larger robot.
Image

Powermasters- Form the engine to the mini vehicles.
Image

Targetmaster- Form weapons with the mini vehicles.
Image

And with so many new figures that would be better suited to being Targetmasters or Powermasters in Titans Return it seems highly unlikely that they'll be revisiting a "-master" line for part three. Same can be said for Pretenders, too.

Emerje
Re: Titans Return Wave 3 Autobot Hot Rod video review (1838660)
Posted by .... on November 2nd, 2016 @ 10:54pm CDT
Only other thing I can think of would be Minicons, which actually wouldn't be a half bad idea...
Re: Titans Return Wave 3 Autobot Hot Rod video review (1838662)
Posted by Sabrblade on November 2nd, 2016 @ 11:05pm CDT
Albatross250 wrote:
Kurona wrote:
King Kuuga wrote:
william-james88 wrote:Sky shadow

Blackshadow


Who's the real name anyway? :HEADHURTS: :lol: :lol: :lol: :CON:
To clarify, the character was originally named "Black Shadow" when he debuted in the Transformers: Victory cartoon and toyline in Japan back in 1989. Since then he has gone on to appear in Western fiction maintain his original "Black Shadow" Japanese name. However, as Hasbro has evidently been unable to Trademark the name "Black Shadow" for their toys of the guy, the name "Sky Shadow" is what Hasbro uses for their Black Shadow toys instead of his actual name. So while all of his Hasbro-released toys go by the name "Sky Shadow", the character's name remains as "Black Shadow" in the fiction.

Meanwhile, Takara seems to have no trouble using the "Black Shadow" name for their toys of the guy, so the "Sky Shadow" replacement name is only for Hasbro's Black Shadow toys.
Re: Titans Return Wave 3 Autobot Hot Rod video review (1838665)
Posted by RAR on November 2nd, 2016 @ 11:18pm CDT
Sky Shadow remains one of the most abused of Transformers names it's the sort of name to be randomly slapped on anything, when I hear it though I usually think of the Beast Wars Fuzor Character.

------

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Outback" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Cindersaur" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Swoop" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Terrorcon Hun-Gurrr" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Power Charge Bumblebee Action Figure - Spinning Core, Lights and Sounds - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 10.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Optimal Optimus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Vorath and Mindwipe" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Legends Class Insecticon Bombshell Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Smokescreen" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #270 - An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster
Twincast / Podcast #270:
"An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, February 14th, 2021

New Items on eBay

Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers RBT Optimus Prime Race Track Trailer Playset" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G1 ALPHA TRION Super 7 ReAction Action Figure Vintage MOC - NEW!!!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War For Cybertron Trilogy Deluxe Cenurion Drone WFC-E33 NIOB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers: The Quest for the Allspark by Auerbach, Annie" on EBAY
Buy "Funko Box: GameStop Exclusive Transformers vs GI Joe - #46 Duke & #45 Megatron" on EBAY
Buy "Funko Box: GameStop Exclusive Transformers vs GI Joe - Prime & Cobra Commander" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Selects WFC-GS01 Voyager G2 Combat Megatron NEW Read" on EBAY
Buy "Mighty Muggs Megatron + Destro Loose Transformers GI Joe" on EBAY