Saturday, May 5th, 2012 11:02am CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 35,840

Today is Free Comic Book Day, and IDW Publishing will be offering fans Transformers: Regeneration One 80.5. The creative team of Simon Furman and Andrew Wildman reunite to tie up the loose ends that were left dangling when the original Marvel run came to end in 1991. This issue serves as a primer for IDW's upcoming ongoing series Transformers: Regeneration One 81, and features 16 pages of new content. Swing by your local comic book retailer today to pick up your free copy! Transformers: Regeneration One 81 is scheduled to launch in July.

(W) Simon Furman
(A/CA) Andrew Wildman
The wait is over - after a 20-year hiatus, IDW proudly returns to the original Transformers comic book universe, picking up right where 1991's Transformers #80 left off! Optimus Prime, Grimlock, Kup, Hot Rod and all your favorite Generation One Transformers characters charge into the future as fan-favorite writer Simon Furman and legendary Transformers artist Andrew Wildman present Transformers #80.5! Reflecting back on the dizzying highs and the terrifying lows of the original run of Transformers comics, Optimus Prime watches over a Cybertron that hasn't faced Megatron for decades. But that peace shudders to an end, as we dive headlong into July's Transformers #81!

Because the Fans demanded it! Thousand of Transformers fans signed petitions urging us to make this book - and IDW listened!

Created by the same writer, penciler, and inker of Transformer #80 in 1991!

Bonus features make clear IDW's current Transformers line of comics, as well as our extensive reprint program!

This article was last modified on Saturday, May 5th, 2012 12:48pm CDT

Re: Today is Free Comic Book Day! - Transformers: Regeneration One 80.5 Now Available (1377133)
Posted by Banjo-Tron on May 5th, 2012 @ 11:26am CDT
It was great to see the crew and pick up 80.5. Good to see Simon was as nice as ever even though he is now a bona-fide Hall of Famer! I was pretty shocked when I read the last page of the comic though, it sets the continuation up nicely.

On a related note, can anyone recommend me a UK online retailer which will be offering a subscription service for Regeneration One?
Re: Today is Free Comic Book Day! - Transformers: Regeneration One 80.5 Now Available (1377135)
Posted by Heavy B on May 5th, 2012 @ 11:36am CDT
please let it still be there when I get up there
Re: Today is Free Comic Book Day! - Transformers: Regeneration One 80.5 Now Available (1377315)
Posted by Supreme Convoy on May 6th, 2012 @ 12:28am CDT
I thought this issue was pretty cool!

It's been awhile since I've read Furman's Marvel run. I loved that Andrew Wildman returned to the Transformers after announcing that his ongoing variants from a few years ago would be his "last Transformers work."

In fact, I just just love looking at Wildman's artwork. It's quite a shock looking at this comic and comparing it to his War Within work, which had to be redrawn to the house Dreamwave/Pat Lee style. Oy.

It was announced that this would ignore Generation 2 yet it has Jhiaxus... I wonder if that was a mistake or perhaps including certain aspect of G2.

Who's this guy? I don't recognize him at all.

Re: Today is Free Comic Book Day! - Transformers: Regeneration One 80.5 Now Available (1377403)
Posted by excalibur1814 on May 6th, 2012 @ 12:42pm CDT
Agghhhh!

Where on earth can I get this from in the UK? (In the North Wales area)
Re: Today is Free Comic Book Day! - Transformers: Regeneration One 80.5 Now Available (1377426)
Posted by Burn on May 6th, 2012 @ 3:48pm CDT
Oh that felt good. Made me realise even more just how much I'm not enjoying the current crop of TF comics, from the writing to the art ... this however, was a breath of fresh air for me.
Re: Today is Free Comic Book Day! - Transformers: Regeneration One 80.5 Now Available (1377466)
Posted by skyshadowprimus on May 6th, 2012 @ 6:38pm CDT
Supreme Convoy wrote:I thought this issue was pretty cool!

Who's this guy? I don't recognize him at all.

gonna take a stab at Spike based on the bio-circuit theme
Re: Today is Free Comic Book Day! - Transformers: Regeneration One 80.5 Now Available (1377576)
Posted by Michael Alex Kawa on May 7th, 2012 @ 1:43am CDT
I got the issue ,THANK HARUHI :BOWDOWN: ,but it was hard to find .My normal comic book store ,where I have a hold box ,ran out of them quick .Why cause they were allowing 10 issues per person .Some one is getting rich on e-bay .I have been asking them (Avatar Comics ,Las Vegas Nevada ) about the comic since January ,and brought it up last time I was there ,about 3 weeks ago .Did they put it in my box .....NO !!!! Told me I should of asked yesterday night ,I was not told this ,and I have asked .Then they said ,"Well there is next year hahaha :lol: " . So I went to this great ,really unknown comic shop called Hell POP !! in Las Vegas Nevada ,and they had it ,only two left ,but they were so nice ,gave great deals ,and only allowed 4 free comics of any kind .But I did get the issue ,and I won't ruin any thing ,but it is AWESOME ,worth the wait. :APPLAUSE: :APPLAUSE:
Re: Today is Free Comic Book Day! - Transformers: Regeneration One 80.5 Now Available (1377612)
Posted by SoundwaveLVL14 on May 7th, 2012 @ 8:25am CDT
skyshadowprimus wrote:
Supreme Convoy wrote:I thought this issue was pretty cool!

Who's this guy? I don't recognize him at all.

gonna take a stab at Spike based on the bio-circuit theme

I am pretty sure the guy on the first page is Buster from way back when Ratbat makes his first appreaence on Earth, issue #31.
Re: Today is Free Comic Book Day! - Transformers: Regeneration One 80.5 Now Available (1377657)
Posted by skyshadowprimus on May 7th, 2012 @ 12:06pm CDT
SoundwaveLVL14 wrote:
skyshadowprimus wrote:
Supreme Convoy wrote:I thought this issue was pretty cool!

Who's this guy? I don't recognize him at all.

gonna take a stab at Spike based on the bio-circuit theme

Seeing all the Neo-Knights in their 50s and Blackrock in his 70s could be amusing though
Re: Today is Free Comic Book Day! - Transformers: Regeneration One 80.5 Now Available (1378058)
Posted by Supreme Convoy on May 8th, 2012 @ 2:40pm CDT
skyshadowprimus wrote:Reading some of the other forums it might be someone called Circuit Smasher (Circuit Breaker's kid) to get round the copyright issue as she can't be featured, plus she would be 20 years older now and she had to be at least 20 in the 1985 at the time of her accident.

I was thinking it might be Circuit Breaker. I wonder why bother with a gender change because it looks like IDW has permission to use these Marvel created characters for the reprints.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Apeface" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
"No Thanks Given"
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Netflix Megatron With Skelivore War for Cybertron New Sealed In Box" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Scourge/Sweeps Body Part, Right Side Shield" on EBAY
Buy "Armada of Cyclonus Scourge Sweep Set of 3 | Transformers Platinum Edition Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "2017 Transformers Collertors Club TFSS Series 5.0 Shattered Glass Starscream" on EBAY
Buy "G1 transformers Diamond Select bust Coronation Starscream 445/600 broken read" on EBAY
Buy "NEWinbox "Armada of Cyclonus" Hasbro Transformers 3pc Set Cyclonus+Sweep+Scourge" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS BOTCON 2013 MACHINE WARS SUNSTORM #A" on EBAY