Tomy struggling with Japanese Market, possible Adult-focused ideas brewing!

Tomy struggling with Japanese Market, possible Adult-focused ideas brewing!

Wednesday, September 5th, 2007 1:31pm CDT

Categories: Toy News, Company News, Collectables
Posted by: Bed Bugs   Views: 15,581

Have you ever wished that Transformers were targeted, more towards you? Well, that dream may come to fruition.

According to this article, Tomy/Takara is severely struggling, and is looking for new options.

The entire toy market in Japan is on the decline for two reasons. The first of which, is the Lead Paint scandal at Mattel. This has caused Japanese Toy Companies stock prices to fall dramatically.

The other reason is that the youth population of Japan is severely shrinking. So with fewer children for these companies to market their products to, they are looking at targeting new markets--Adults.

This could very well be the reason that the Encore series has been released from Tomy. It could also explain why Tomy is looking to reissue several rare and obscure characters like Skylynx.

So it looks like this could be good news for collectors, but it could possibly spell the doom for the next generation as what makes a collector is having the toys when we are children to begin with.

Credit(s): Alexis

Re: Tomy struggling with Japanese Market, possible Adult-focused ideas brewing! (325457)
Posted by Dead Metal on September 5th, 2007 @ 1:36pm CDT
I am very interested in that!
Just hope I have a job once all them cool things come out!
Re: Tomy struggling with Japanese Market, possible Adult-focused ideas brewing! (325463)
Posted by Counterpunch on September 5th, 2007 @ 1:39pm CDT
and DON'T make me come over there again Tomy-Takara!
Re: Tomy struggling with Japanese Market, possible Adult-focused ideas brewing! (325473)
Posted by Dead Metal on September 5th, 2007 @ 1:43pm CDT
Counterpunch wrote:and DON'T make me come over there again Tomy-Takara!

It's you who did all this?
Thank you, now I have a new Religion!
Counterpunchologie! :grin:
Re: Tomy struggling with Japanese Market, possible Adult-focused ideas brewing! (325499)
Posted by Zombie Starscream on September 5th, 2007 @ 2:00pm CDT
I don't think it will spell a doom for them, as the demographic they are targeting is the one that has kids and does remember the older shows. They are more likely to get future customers from the kids of collectors, then they would from the regular population, I think. I like the idea that they are finally targeting us, the adults.

Besides, something that is more "adult" has that added cool factor that kids seem to glom onto, rather then something that they consider made for little kids, as is usual with Tf toys. Trust me, when kids see these new made-for-adults Tfs, they WILL want them. Even the children of non-collectors. Stuff made for adults tends to be made cooler looking, more realistic, and the charecters' stories more dark. What kills Tfs is when they are made too "kiddie," and that makes older kids and teens stay away from them for fear of being seen playing with toys deemed too "babyish."
Re: Tomy struggling with Japanese Market, possible Adult-focused ideas brewing! (325532)
Posted by kirbenvost on September 5th, 2007 @ 2:13pm CDT
Dead Metal wrote:
Counterpunch wrote:and DON'T make me come over there again Tomy-Takara!

It's you who did all this?
Thank you, now I have a new Religion!
Counterpunchologie! :grin:

:lol:

Good work, Counterpunch. 8) :lol:
Re: Tomy struggling with Japanese Market, possible Adult-focused ideas brewing! (325538)
Posted by Tigertrack on September 5th, 2007 @ 2:16pm CDT
It'll be interesting to hear what comes of this.
Re: Tomy struggling with Japanese Market, possible Adult-focused ideas brewing! (325557)
Posted by Starscream227 on September 5th, 2007 @ 2:26pm CDT
Worried: Not really.

I think this could really go in two directions; the awesome
"Finally for Adutls!!" linework, and, if children are such a
hard thing to find in Japan, than Takara-Tomy outsourcing it's
designers and whatnot to Hasbro for the international
"child-saturated" market.
Re: Tomy struggling with Japanese Market, possible Adult-focused ideas brewing! (325562)
Posted by Fireblast on September 5th, 2007 @ 2:28pm CDT
Well if Hasbro does something like this over here I'll be happy. I hope whoever's idea it was to make Kiss Players for little girls is fired because no offense, but marketing Transformers to little girls is like trying to marketing Barbie to little boys. Hopefully Takara Tomy makes more Masterpiece Transformers because Optimus Prime is rated as one of the best toys ever.
Re: Tomy struggling with Japanese Market, possible Adult-focused ideas brewing! (325569)
Posted by Sideshow Sideswipe on September 5th, 2007 @ 2:31pm CDT
yeah lets see MP autobots! and a MP ARcee!
Re: Tomy struggling with Japanese Market, possible Adult-focused ideas brewing! (325570)
Posted by Tusko on September 5th, 2007 @ 2:31pm CDT
Hope this breeds creativity and innovation.
Re: Tomy struggling with Japanese Market, possible Adult-focused ideas brewing! (325585)
Posted by Gutter Bunny on September 5th, 2007 @ 2:38pm CDT
i guess im just going to have to go over there and start makin babies...

on a more serious note, hopefully this doesnt spell doom for the line. Companies can only hold on so long to the heals of collecters...or i could be wrong.
Re: Tomy struggling with Japanese Market, possible Adult-focused ideas brewing! (325592)
Posted by metalformer on September 5th, 2007 @ 2:40pm CDT
:-? Interesting development indeed. I am not holding my breath on anything until I see something solid but at the same time I am very glad to hear that! :grin:

I have became very hard to satisfy with Transformers so this could mean something at the level I was hoping for. I just hope they don't pull another Kiss Player again because, while I DO like hentai, I don't like it mixed with Transformers (unless its fan art :CON:).

This is a tread i will definitivelly keep my optics fixed on! :lol:
Re: Tomy struggling with Japanese Market, possible Adult-focused ideas brewing! (325604)
Posted by Autobot032 on September 5th, 2007 @ 2:49pm CDT
Re: Tomy struggling with Japanese Market, possible Adult-focused ideas brewing! (325611)
Posted by Zombie Starscream on September 5th, 2007 @ 2:55pm CDT
Autobot032 wrote:This is good news. We'll get reissues (and new reissues) and we might even see new molds aimed at an adult audience. (I.E. More Masterpiece, more complexities. Not sicko stuff.)
I agree. I don't like the sicko stuff either.
Re: Tomy struggling with Japanese Market, possible Adult-focused ideas brewing! (325631)
Posted by Sid Burn on September 5th, 2007 @ 3:04pm CDT
Hopefully this will spawn more use of the TF comics as source material for molds.

I want a Nova Prime Dammit
Re: Tomy struggling with Japanese Market, possible Adult-focused ideas brewing! (325639)
Posted by Wes Crayon on September 5th, 2007 @ 3:06pm CDT
And here I was expecting to read about transforming fembots that interface with Convoy MP-RJE (Ron Jeremy Edition). I am disappointed now. :(
Re: Tomy struggling with Japanese Market, possible Adult-focused ideas brewing! (325646)
Posted by spiritofcat on September 5th, 2007 @ 3:12pm CDT
Reissue of Skylynx would be awesome!
I always wanted him back in the day.
Re: Tomy struggling with Japanese Market, possible Adult-focused ideas brewing! (325676)
Posted by opjet on September 5th, 2007 @ 3:29pm CDT
it's plain and its simple here and ya guys can
back me up here release
skylyx,
omega suspreme,
star saber and victory leo,
a gestalt or like devastator seacons,
scourponok in all plain and simple
takara tomy if ya want to make a shit load of
yen release the big guns and i mean big guns
release that we as thought would never be
release in a million years any 1 with me
Re: Tomy struggling with Japanese Market, possible Adult-focused ideas brewing! (325694)
Posted by justynnbailey on September 5th, 2007 @ 3:43pm CDT
opjet wrote:it's plain and its simple here and ya guys can
back me up here release
skylyx,
omega suspreme,
star saber and victory leo,
a gestalt or like devastator seacons,

Seacons are a Club Exclusive. I think I'll just get them when they are available through the Club.

Victory Leo sounds cool though....
Re: Tomy struggling with Japanese Market, possible Adult-focused ideas brewing! (325714)
Posted by Zombie Starscream on September 5th, 2007 @ 3:53pm CDT
Maybe them now paying attention to the older fans will help spawn a cartoon that is to appeal to the "new" demographic. It makes sense, especially if their change of demos proves profitable.

Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #274 - Pulse Fan Fest 2021
"Pulse Fan Fest 2021"
Posted: Sunday, April 18th, 2021

Buy "Transformers BLAST OFF and MEGATRONUS Amazon Exclusive Combiner Wars Prime" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Titans Return Wheelie Generations Legends Rare Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Onslaught Combaticons Leader Combiner Wars In Box" on EBAY
Buy "?? Transformers Titans Return Legends COSMOS & SEASPRAY figure Lot Authentic" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return TRYPTICON Factory Sealed MISB HASBRO" on EBAY