Top 5 best G1 Transformers Toy updates

Top 5 best G1 Transformers Toy updates

Saturday, April 4th, 2015 8:40am CDT

Categories: Site Articles, Editorials, Top Lists
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 106,752

Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are my opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

Top 5 best G1 Transformers Toy updates

This concept doesn’t need much of an introduction but I will explain the thought that went behind my choices. It was in a 2 fold order. One: how much the original G1 toy needed an update. Two: How great of an update he eventually got (“he” is not a spoiler as there were no female G1 toys stateside). The best toy ever might not be first place if his original toy was pretty good, which explains the lack of some classics updates. On the flipside, a toy in bad need of an update may not be first place if the update he got wasn't as good as we can get. So without further ado, here are the top 5 best toy updates:

5. Tranformers Generations Seargent Kup

Transformers News: Top 5 best G1 Transformers Toy updates

The reason he is at the back end of this list is because this doesn’t feel like the final version of this character. This toy is more of a reinterpretation of the character and not the actual comic book or G1 cartoon version come to life. He even got an update to his name. For what is probably copyright reasons, he became Sergeant Kup in this release. But none the less, Kup is one of the character’s who most needed an update. For such a legendary character, as he was one of the main characters of the 86 film, the only other toy he got since G1 was a Botcon 09 toy which didn’t work at all for the character (my opinion). But 2011 finally gave us a phenomenal update. I love the head sculpt, the alt mode is great even though it is an earth based truck instead of a Cybertronian picKUP. He still looks the part of the scrappy old timer and the color is also spot on. Then chest section is pretty great as well, recalling the cybertronian elements of the G1 toy and the transformation itself is neat, especially the feet. What really seals the deal is the long musket which stores under the truck mode disguised as a very convincing exhaust pipe.

4. Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime (MP-10) (Convoy)
Transformers News: Top 5 best G1 Transformers Toy updates

I don’t know what to write that could give this update any justice. The figure in robot mode really looks like the G1 cartoon model just jumped off the screen, unlike the G1 toy. The G1 toy was not too bad though, hence why this isn’t number 1 on this list. Actually, the G1 toy was pretty smart since it found an effective way of combining an easy transformation which resulted in a robot which had a wide chest and a thin abdominal area, which has defined Optimus Prime ever since. This update makes that change in contour completely flawless with a smart transformation that was fine tuned from the earlier Masterpiece release of Optimus. They still didn’t fix the obvious groin area exposed in truck mode, an issue that even the G1 toy didn’t have. I do want to say that the cab is the highlight of this update. I don’t find the trailer to be much of an improvement over the G1 version, and Hasbro’s dull grey didn’t help. I was told it could be fixed with Reprolabels, and while that may be perfectly true, having to spend more money for a finished version of a product will not get you the number 1 spot (especially when your original toy was one of the best of the bunch). But number 4 is no sweat for this awesome toy.

And to give a sense of the difference in size:
Transformers News: Top 5 best G1 Transformers Toy updates

3. Transformers Masterpiece Wheeljack
Transformers News: Top 5 best G1 Transformers Toy updates

Oh man, what an update! They even got the spelling of sponsor “Alitalia” right this time (there are reprolabels to fix the correction though). The G1 toy, like the datsuns and other G1 cars, didn’t even have legs that could separate, so an update didn’t need much to make us happy. As a matter of fact, people were happy with simply a redeco of RTS Tracks. But this figure really knocks it out of the parc by not only being accurate but also my pick for the best new mold to come out of Hasbro/Takara in 2014. Not in a while had I marveled this much at a transformer, and on a pure toy level, he is an absolutely perfect example of a robot in disguise. He feels hefty, has flawless kibble free modes which are also both accurate to their own specific source (a cartoon model and an officially licensed car model).What I really loved about Wheeljack is how robot parts just spring out of him and are nowhere noticeable in his car mode, like his wings, which were far more evident in the original toy’s undercarriage and prone to loss. I just love how his feet are formed and look like distinct robot legs rather than a piece of his car. Unlike the Datsuns, these car pieces look more like feet than repurposed car parts, which was obviously not the case with the original G1 figure.

2. Transformers Generations Springer
Transformers News: Top 5 best G1 Transformers Toy updates

Springer was not the best G1 triple changer. None of the three modes were convincing. His helicopter mode had his robot arms and hands sticking out with the excuse of it being Cybertronian in design (uurgh), the car mode was average and the robot mode was not great with odd proportions and terrible arms. He needed an update, that’s for sure, and had a bunch (starting with Energon’s Bulkhead, then Timelines, Universe and Generations GDO). But every single time, he either only turned into a car or helicopter. True triple changers are rarer than we think in the world of transformers toys, so getting an actual update of Springer as a triple changer in the Generations line was an event all on its own. It was even more wondrous to realize that this toy was an accomplishment. Unlike the G1 toy, both alt modes are very distinctive from one another. They have different dimensions and silhouettes, only sharing the color pallet. Also unlike the G1 toy, the robot mode is tall and sleek, with great proportions and one of the most poseable transformers toys at that price range. Even his sword that turns into the propeller is updated well, with a neat new transformation, and his gun has been given a serious overhaul. This would be the best update of all if it weren’t for the following number 1 pick...

1. Transformers Generations Warpath Gallery
Transformers News: Top 5 best G1 Transformers Toy updates

As far as updates go, I can’t think of any other toy that needed it this much and got this good a result from it. It’s like owning a small masterpiece at the fraction of the cost. We went from a minibot with no legs, which looked locked in mid transformation into a deluxe class which oozes perfection. Unlike the G1 toy, the tank fully transforms into a robot with superb articulation, zero kibble and striking show accuracy for a non masterpiece toy. They did change his tank into an H tank, but I will take that if it means he gets legs in robot mode. It’s also worth noting that for an H tank, he doesn’t look like a robot crawling on all fours like Armada Megatron and Animated Shockwave (two toys that were NOT part of the best Tanks list). All around, I couldn’t think of a better update for a toy that so badly needed one. And for those who find the deluxe class too big for this toy, then just stick him in your masterpiece collection, he’ll fit right in.

Honourable mention: Generations Cosmos, Energon Galvatron, Masterpiece Grimlock, MP Soundwave, MP Lambor, Generations Scourge, Universe Cyclonus and the Classics seekers.

This article was last modified on Tuesday, April 12th, 2016 9:34am CDT

Re: Top 5 best G1 Transformers Toy updates (1671022)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on April 4th, 2015 @ 8:47am CDT
MP Grimlock
MP-01 Optimus Prime (robot mode)
MP Ultra Magnus
CW Superion (the individual bots are even better)
Generations Waspinator (I just LOVE this figure)
Re: Top 5 best G1 Transformers Toy updates (1671025)
Posted by Triptykon on April 4th, 2015 @ 9:09am CDT
Only one I'm missing is Wheeljack ;)

Just picked up Cosmos at Wal-Mart the other day on a whim, glad I did, for a tiny little guy,(I usually avoid those) he's surprisingly articulated. A great addition to the shelf.
Re: Top 5 best G1 Transformers Toy updates (1671028)
Posted by Va'al on April 4th, 2015 @ 9:14am CDT
I have to say, this time round I pretty much agree! :D

I am a big fan of what the MP line is doing in terms of updating and offering new toys for the collector that started as a child fan, and MP G2 Sideswipe fills that spot for me (with the added bonus of comic-accurate face and weapons).

Although you seem to have forgotten the Greatest Autobot of All Time. For shame.

[Also, without going into the semantics of 'G1', Rhinox definitely should be in here somewhere.]
Re: Top 5 best G1 Transformers Toy updates (1671029)
Posted by william-james88 on April 4th, 2015 @ 9:17am CDT
Va'al wrote:I have to say, this time round I pretty much agree! :D

I kept it G1 centric inorder to do another Update list down the line. I love Rhinox too, though I wish he stood up a bit better.

Also, Alpha Bravo cant be on the list because he didnt have a G1 toy.
Re: Top 5 best G1 Transformers Toy updates (1671030)
Posted by Va'al on April 4th, 2015 @ 9:25am CDT
william-james88 wrote:
Va'al wrote:I have to say, this time round I pretty much agree! :D

Also, Alpha Bravo cant be on the list because he didnt have a G1 toy.

:P
Re: Top 5 best G1 Transformers Toy updates (1671039)
Posted by frogbat on April 4th, 2015 @ 10:20am CDT
good list.. i agree with most especially warpath. Was the one that came to mind as soon as I read the headline. I'd replace mp10 with mp ultra magnus. but to be honest I would keep the masterpiece series out of such a list.

here's my favourites

1. Generations Warpath

2. Wheeljack / Tracks generations. Great mould and reuse.

3. Cyclonus, generations. His robot mode is great.. fun transformation. On par with Kup as far as updates go, however kup's transformation can be a bit tedious and cyclonus comes with a targetmaster...

4. Generations hound. This guy is oft forgotten but both hid modes were excellent updates and the inclusion of a very well done ravage made this a terrific toy.

5. Shrapnel... excellent version and the size suits the characters...

Bubbling under... the aerialbots. Don't have powerglide yet but he looks like one great update.
Re: Top 5 best G1 Transformers Toy updates (1671044)
Posted by fenrir72 on April 4th, 2015 @ 10:40am CDT
Re: Top 5 best G1 Transformers Toy updates (1671048)
Posted by Super Megatron on April 4th, 2015 @ 10:49am CDT
fenrir72 wrote:MP-Star Saber. If they, Tomy included Jean or Lumina 2 he would have been perfect SS anime version......heck, watching the anime Victory and Yuki really did an awesome job ( so long as you give the engineer the time unlike MP Megs he can do WONDERS!)

Agreed. Too bad this list is North American canon only. The only figure I disagree on that list is Kup. The Conehead seekers should had been in his place.
Re: Top 5 best G1 Transformers Toy updates (1671063)
Posted by Emerje on April 4th, 2015 @ 11:30am CDT
Good list, but for me I would have bumped everything up a slot, knocked off Kup, and made Generations Metroplex number one. Kup is a great figure, but Metroplex is that much better.

Honorable mention to Whirl, Roadbuster, and Masterpiece Prowl.

Emerje
Re: Top 5 best G1 Transformers Toy updates (1671066)
Posted by munkimus prime on April 4th, 2015 @ 11:43am CDT

5. Generations Cosmos
4. Combiner Wars Superion
3. Generations Warpath
2. Generations Springer
1. Generations Leader G1 Megatron

I would of put Leader Ultra Magnus on the list but he's not out yet.
Re: Top 5 best G1 Transformers Toy updates (1671068)
Posted by Va'al on April 4th, 2015 @ 11:46am CDT
munkimus prime wrote:I agree with the list but Masterpiece were obviously going to be far superior to their G1 counterparts so I feel it should of been restricted to just Classics and Generations mostly.

5. Generations Cosmos
4. Combiner Wars Superion
3. Generations Warpath
2. Generations Springer
1. Generations Leader G1 Megatron

I would of put Leader Ultra Magnus on the list but he's not out yet.

Good points right there. And yes, I would also agree on them there choices, too. :D
Re: Top 5 best G1 Transformers Toy updates (1671077)
Posted by CombaticonsCombine? on April 4th, 2015 @ 12:16pm CDT
My list:

5. Generations Cosmos
4. Masterpiece Soundwave
3. Generations Cyclonus
2. Generations Blitzving
1. Generations Warpath
0. CW Combiners
Re: Top 5 best G1 Transformers Toy updates (1671085)
Posted by megatronus on April 4th, 2015 @ 1:08pm CDT
It's interesting you considered MP figures in this list. I personally wouldn't have, as the line seems to be more concerned with an ideal somewhat apart from the toys themselves. I think this list would have been more robust had it just been Classics/Generations-style figures, or if needed, two separate lists for MP & Generations updates.

That all said, I do like your choices overall, besides Kup.
Re: Top 5 best G1 Transformers Toy updates (1671086)
Posted by TreyTable on April 4th, 2015 @ 1:16pm CDT
This list is racist; it's all Autobots. ;)

I'd like to have my say and list my top five Decepticons.

In no particular order:

Seeker mold MP-11
    Fans Toys Quakewave
    Masterpiece Laserbeak/Buzzsaw
    Generations Cyclonus
    Masterpiece Soundwave/Soundblaster
Re: Top 5 best G1 Transformers Toy updates (1671157)
Posted by william-james88 on April 4th, 2015 @ 5:51pm CDT
Ha! I didnt realize there were no decepticons but that's probably because there are only 3 molds for those in the Masterpiece line and I am not too fond of 2 of them.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that there will eventually be a best of Masterpiece line and best of Classics (or the sub lines, not sure yet), so this list was more to look at toys from G1 and how they evolved. Kup may not be the best update, as I mentioned, but that G1 toy needed an update more than most I feel (like the Insecticons, which are awesome G1 toys). For such an important character, that toy was... :SICK: My opinion, of course.

Re: Top 5 best G1 Transformers Toy updates (1671181)
Posted by Optimum Supreme on April 4th, 2015 @ 6:56pm CDT
I'd knock off Kup (though he is a great figure, don't get me wrong) stick in the Classic Seekers all as a single entry (except I guess you'd have to leave off Acid Storm since he had no G1 toy).

I'd also replace MP10 with MP01 and put that one in first place.

I'd also use Gen Wheeljack instead of MP, just because I have that one, and it's awesome, and I think one MP on the list is more than enough.

I'd give honorable mention to legends size Warpath, because without deluxe size, he'd definitely be in the running for the list.
Re: Top 5 best G1 Transformers Toy updates (1671207)
Posted by shajaki on April 4th, 2015 @ 8:27pm CDT
Re: Top 5 best G1 Transformers Toy updates (1671213)
Posted by megatronus on April 4th, 2015 @ 9:06pm CDT
shajaki wrote:Image

:lol:
Re: Top 5 best G1 Transformers Toy updates (1671216)
Posted by william-james88 on April 4th, 2015 @ 9:17pm CDT
shajaki wrote:Image

:lol: But you made the honourable mentions at least (I'm not THAT blind). Also, I have some issues with his legs in alt mode. Also, as spectacular as it already is, I think there is room for improvement on that toy (oh and the combiner wars one will not be an improvement).

Optimum Supreme wrote:
I'd also replace MP10 with MP01 and put that one in first place.

You are the second person to suggest that. Care to explain why MP 01 is superior to MP 10. I thought it was agreed upon that MP 10 was the better figure, and thus a better update on the G1 toy.

And for Generations Wheeljack, while I do have that mold as Tracks, the MP Wheeljack is really incredible and superior. It is well worth the 60-70$ I spent on it and I cannot recommend it enough. If ever Hasbro releases one, make sure you dont miss out :)
Re: Top 5 best G1 Transformers Toy updates (1671217)
Posted by TK415 on April 4th, 2015 @ 9:17pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:So since this was about seeing how much the toys evolved, I felt it was more fun to combine all the lines for this list because that's the only way I could reward the Generations figures for how good they truly are. Excluding the Masterpiece line in this list would take away from the accomplishment of Generations Springer and Warpath.

I like this idea. Comparing and contrasting the figures and valuing them and considering their availability and price really emphasis how truly awesome some figures are and how exciting they are. There are a few figures that do feel MP quality.

Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Roadburn" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 8 Newman Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #271 - Meh-pisode
"Meh-pisode"
Posted: Friday, March 5th, 2021

Buy "Playskool Transformers Rescue Bots DANI BURNS & (2) BLADES FLIGHT BOTS Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cliffjumper 2019 Figure Deluxe Class Earthrise War Cybertron Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots Bumblebee Rescue Guard 10-Inch" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Robot Academy Medix the Doc-Bot Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "VINTAGE 1984 TRANSFORMERS G1, Devastator , SCAVENGER + SCRAPPER, Takara, Japan" on EBAY
Buy "WFC-S37 BRUNT Transformers War for Cybertron Siege Deluxe Hasbro 2019 MIB Sealed" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers - TRU Exclusive Masterpiece - MP-01 Acid Storm (MISB)" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots Rescan - Bumblebee (Rescue Jet) - Hasbro" on EBAY