Top 5 Best Guest Celebrity voice actors in Transformers History

Top 5 Best Guest Celebrity voice actors in Transformers History

Saturday, May 2nd, 2015 7:41am CDT

Categories: Site Articles, Editorials, Top Lists
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 55,544

Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are my opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

EDITOR'S NOTE: This article was written in early January 2015.

Top 5 Celebrity voice actors in Transformers

Celebrities have lent their voice to Transformers characters in the media since the G1 era. It's always a treat regardless if it's for a few shows or just a few minutes. It's especially fun when the voice fits perfectly with the character. From Monty Python's Eric Idle to Boy Meets World's Will Friedle, we will now count down the best celebrity voice actors of all Transformers history starting with...

5. Dwayne the Rock Johnson as Cliff Jumper in Transformers Prime

Oh man, it's THE ROCK! And they totally emphasise it by using the theme of his horns referring to both the the Brahma Bull and Clifjumper's badass Prime design. Of course, a mega celeb like this could only be a guest star and this is what this role truly is even though he plays a main character of the world we are being introduced to. Using The Rock was a great way for us to fall in love with this doomed character, adding to the impact. If you don't know what I am talking about, just watch the first episode of Transformers Prime titled "Darkness Rising, Part 1".

Transformers News: Top 5 Celebrity voice actors in Transformers

4. Weird Al Yankovic as Wreck-Gar in Transformers Animated

Can there be a more perfect casting (yes, because this is number 4) than pairing up weird Al with this Transformers nutcase. Actually the Wreck-Gar character has had some great talent voice him, like Eric Idle. However, Weird Al tops that performance in part due to the improved speech pattern he gets to play with. He definitely helped Wreck Gar be as odd, hyper, passionate and as weird as he was supposed to be, while giving him a sweet and sympathetic side that helps from the shtick getting too annoying.

Transformers News: Top 5 Celebrity voice actors in Transformers

3. Orson Wells as Unicron in The Transformers Movie

This is the most solemn voice you could ever hear. It evokes power and certitude in anything it whispers and it is both the voice of the most powerful threat in Transformers history as well as the voice of the greatest filmmaker that ever lived, Orson Welles (if anyone doesn't know, at age 25 he directed "Citizen Kane" which is believed by film critics to be the best film of all time). You can't help but believe everything uttered by that voice and the fact that it speaks of tearing worlds apart can't make you see anything but doom. It was used sparingly but to amazing effect.

Transformers News: Top 5 Celebrity voice actors in Transformers

2. Tony Todd as Dreadwing in Transformers Prime

When I first heard Dreadwing speak, I took a step back. It was both deep and steely, it could bring a chill down your spine. And of course, it had to be by one of the scariest guys ever, Tony Todd, the Candy Man himself. His deep voice also worked with adding to the characters sense of honour, pride and determination since you knew that he meant every word he spoke. And the best part is that it doesn't take anything away from the character by being invassive or distracting. It just works. This is exactly what this no nonsense character would sound like and no one could have done a better job. But number one is kind of special...

Transformers News: Top 5 Celebrity voice actors in Transformers

1. Leanard Nimoy as Galvatron (not sentinel Prime) in The Transformers Movie

Was this too predictable? Firstly, the use of a different voice for Galvatron was very well done. It emphasised that this was a new version of the character with a new unhinged personality (think Doctor Who), and what we were comfortable with before had just flown out the window. Galvatron was more ruthless than Megatron ever was, and far more psychotic, to the point of even doublecrossing Unicron (WHO DOES THAT!?!?!). Leanard Nimoy conveys this transition perfectly, giving a great balance of power and insanity. This works so well in setting the tone of the film, and of the character, and it's also Leanard freaken Nimoy. Way to start the new age of G1 with a bang!

Transformers News: Top 5 Celebrity voice actors in Transformers

Honourable mentions: My number 5 was a hard choice between my pick and George Takei as Alpha Trion. I was so amused and surprised when I heard George Takei's unmistakable voice on the show, but that's kinda the problem. His voice was so obvious that I couldn't see Alpha Trion talking to Optimus, I just heard George Takei, hence why this guest voice wasn't the one chosen. Also, the previously mentioned Eric Idle.

This article was last modified on Tuesday, April 12th, 2016 9:35am CDT

Re: Top 5 Best Guest Celebrity voice actors in Transformers History (1681484)
Posted by steve2275 on May 2nd, 2015 @ 7:47am CDT
the right number 1 :lol:
Re: Top 5 Best Guest Celebrity voice actors in Transformers History (1681490)
Posted by Rated X on May 2nd, 2015 @ 8:10am CDT
I was expecting Peter Cullen to be number one. While the Transformers brand defined him, he is truly a celebrity in his own right. He definitely has more money and star power than Weird Al in the film industry. I didnt know the Rock played Cliffjumper. That was cool. Why I totally understand how Lenord Nemoys recent passing puts him in legendary status, it was really the guy who played Galvatron in the cartoon series after the 1986 movie that defined Galvatron. The happy sounding, maniac voice worked much better for the character in my opinion than Lenord Nemoys more bold, serious voiceovers. Galvatron was a unpredictable raging lunatic and the cartoon voice was perfect.
Re: Top 5 Best Guest Celebrity voice actors in Transformers History (1681492)
Posted by Super Megatron on May 2nd, 2015 @ 8:15am CDT
Great list with very solid choices. It shows not only the richness of actors involved in bringing all these characters to life, but the depth and complexity of the Transformers universe as well. There isn't one character on this list who isn't spot on.
Re: Top 5 Best Guest Celebrity voice actors in Transformers History (1681493)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on May 2nd, 2015 @ 8:19am CDT
Rated X wrote:Why I totally understand how Lenord Nemoys recent passing puts him in legendary status, it was really the guy who played Galvatron in the cartoon series after the 1986 movie that defined Galvatron. The happy sounding, maniac voice worked much better for the character in my opinion than Lenord Nemoys more bold, serious voiceovers. Galvatron was a unpredictable raging lunatic and the cartoon voice was perfect.

I disagree. Nimoy's Galvatron was superb despite the relatively limited screentime. I hated the season 3 version that Welker voiced. Galvatron should be menacing, intimidating and imposing (fearing only Unicron) and give the sense that he really is an all-powerful almost-unstoppable being (main reason the Marvel UK version is my fave). Season 3's Galvatron just came across as a noisy ineffective idiot. One of the many reasons I really don't care for the series as a whole.
Re: Top 5 Best Guest Celebrity voice actors in Transformers History (1681497)
Posted by dragons on May 2nd, 2015 @ 8:36am CDT
Hate my self for missing chance to meet tony Todd last year comic con guests stay long on Friday this year will be differnt live action characters don't count? Nimory sentinel prime, tony Todd fallen
Re: Top 5 Best Guest Celebrity voice actors in Transformers History (1681500)
Posted by Va'al on May 2nd, 2015 @ 8:47am CDT
I chatted with Will about this list, and I interpreted what he means by celebrity actors as someone who is not exclusively tied to voice acting.

That would exclude Cullen, Welker and other great voices like Strong, Montano, Sobolov and the such.
It's a very good list, given its parameters. :D
Re: Top 5 Best Guest Celebrity voice actors in Transformers History (1681503)
Posted by SFXPrime on May 2nd, 2015 @ 8:57am CDT
Re: Top 5 Best Guest Celebrity voice actors in Transformers History (1681507)
Posted by Desslok2201 on May 2nd, 2015 @ 9:26am CDT
This really should have been a list of top 10, as it doesn't seem right not to have Stack and Idle, not to take away anything from the 5 listed. As far as the Nimoy/Welker Galvatron issue, while I always preferred Nimoy's version, I thought Welker's more strained voice went with the character, as I always thought that once Unicron was destroyed, Galvatron would be in a state of perpetual torture, as if he died while torturing Galvatron to coerce him into destroying Hot Rod, and be caught in a loop. This would explain the change in voice as well as the change in personality, as season 3 Galvatron was far more unhinged than, and abused his subordinates unlike movie Galvatron
Re: Top 5 Best Guest Celebrity voice actors in Transformers History (1681511)
Posted by Alex Jones on May 2nd, 2015 @ 9:38am CDT
FYI Tony Todd was also the Fallen. Please mention that in the article.
Re: Top 5 Best Guest Celebrity voice actors in Transformers History (1681512)
Posted by Alex Jones on May 2nd, 2015 @ 9:40am CDT
SFXPrime wrote:Personally, I would have put Robert Stack up there for his performance as Ultra Magnus in the G1 Transformers movie. When I first heard him I was like hey, its sounds the dude from Unsolved Mysteries!

This too!
Re: Top 5 Best Guest Celebrity voice actors in Transformers History (1681514)
Posted by welcometothedarksyde on May 2nd, 2015 @ 9:45am CDT
My personal favorite would be Unicron without a doubt, Orson Welles' performance was spectacular. I'll always associate his voice with that character. Leonard Nimoy's Galvatron is definitely up there as well (especially compared to Season 3 Galvatron), however Orson Welles takes the cake. In fact the 1986 movie had spectacular voice acting all around.
Re: Top 5 Best Guest Celebrity voice actors in Transformers History (1681516)
Posted by griftimus prime on May 2nd, 2015 @ 9:58am CDT
orson wells is number 3? if i went be your list i would go wells then nimoy as number 2
Re: Top 5 Best Guest Celebrity voice actors in Transformers History (1681526)
Posted by Archanubis on May 2nd, 2015 @ 10:35am CDT
...to the point of even doublecrossing Unicron (WHO DOES THAT!?!?!).

Starscream did, apparently, though it's Starscream, so it's expected he'd betray someone. ;)

:CON:
Re: Top 5 Best Guest Celebrity voice actors in Transformers History (1681530)
Posted by Black Bumblebee on May 2nd, 2015 @ 10:52am CDT
I loved Nimoy as Galvatron... but the points that you bring up about him being mentally unstable... that wasn't really Nimoy's performance. The TF movie Galvatron is sane, powerful, and (more importantly) still, at heart, Megatron. Galvatron wanted to protect Cybertron, yet it was clear that Unicron was planning on eating Cybertron... after all, he kept munching on its moons! When Galvatron found out that there was one object that Unicron feared, he went out, and got it--to save Cybertron (to be fair, it wasn't that altruistic... he was ruler there, so that's where all his stuff was :grin: ). Furthermore, even after he was swallowed, he was still willing to team up with the Autobots to destroy Unicron, but Unicron blasted his brain so hard he was forced to fight--it was probably there that Galvatron went insane, as he was being forced to do something he really didn't want to do.
Re: Top 5 Best Guest Celebrity voice actors in Transformers History (1681533)
Posted by Rated X on May 2nd, 2015 @ 11:01am CDT
Carnivius_Prime wrote:

While I understand where your coming from, I feel Nimoys Galvatron voice was just another rendition of Megatron. Kind of Bland. It was Welkers voiceover that really made his voice unique. He sounded happy while still maintaining an evil demeanor (almost like starscream) which really worked for the character which was clearly insane unlike Megatron. I could not see the Nimoy voice being used successfully on the episode where Galvatron was sent for therapy on planet Torkulon. It just doesnt sound insane enough to me. I think Nimoys star trek status is making him seem like the better voice when in reality that is very debatable.
Re: Top 5 Best Guest Celebrity voice actors in Transformers History (1681555)
Posted by Noideaforaname on May 2nd, 2015 @ 11:56am CDT
Great list.

Though I personally associate Leonard Nimoy with Sentinel before Galvatron, both because Bay's movies are how I got into the franchise and because "my" Galvatron is a psychotic madman, and Nimoy is just too... Nimoy for that.
Re: Top 5 Best Guest Celebrity voice actors in Transformers History (1681560)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on May 2nd, 2015 @ 12:04pm CDT
A solid list but I would've put Robert Stack at 5 instead of the rock, cliffjumper was barely even in the show so we didnt really get to see if he had the voice acting chops to bring justice to the character. Stack on the other hand was the perfect magnus & he did an awesome job with the character.
Re: Top 5 Best Guest Celebrity voice actors in Transformers History (1681561)
Posted by Ultra Markus on May 2nd, 2015 @ 12:07pm CDT
Scatman Crothers should have been on that list
there's no excuse for that
Re: Top 5 Best Guest Celebrity voice actors in Transformers History (1681577)
Posted by shajaki on May 2nd, 2015 @ 12:46pm CDT
Sir Stack as Ultra Magnus is a good mention!
Great list. Only thing I'd have done differently is have it ordered differently. 1 & 2 as Nimoy and Wells.... but I can't decide which should be which! :BOOM:
Re: Top 5 Best Guest Celebrity voice actors in Transformers History (1681607)
Posted by Alex Jones on May 2nd, 2015 @ 2:06pm CDT
I would also put Casey Kasem who is a well known radio deejay.

Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Chaos on Velocitron 5-Figure Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MV5 Turbo Changer Super Nova Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #270 - An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster
"An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster"
Posted: Sunday, February 14th, 2021

Buy "Hasbro Transformers Cyberverse Decepticon Scraplet Figure Lot of 4 New 2018" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege BRUNT War For Cybertron Deluxe Class AUTHENTIC HASBRO 2018" on EBAY
Buy "2009 Hasbro Transformers Revenge of the Fallen Decepticon Stalker Scorponok NIB" on EBAY
Buy "Thunderhowl Transformers Cyberverse Adventures Deluxe Class Hasbro 2020 BAF #8" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Action Attackers 1-Step Changer SKY-BYTE Figure Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers MPM-4 Optimus Prime - Takara Movie Masterpiece" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Movie Toy/Figures Lot - Bumblebee, Jazz, and Soundwave" on EBAY
Buy "GI JOE # 142 MARVEL COMICS November 1993 SNAKE EYES TRANSFORMERS LOW PRINT RUN" on EBAY