Top 5 Best Optimus Prime Super Mode Transformers Toys

Saturday, February 24th, 2018 6:47AM CST

Categories: Site Articles, Editorials, Top Lists
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 24,505

Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are my opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

Top 5 Best Optimus Prime Super Mode Toys

No adversary is too great for Optimus Prime / Convoy. When everything seems bleak or when the challenge seems to tough, you can always count on him rising up to the occasion, often times in a super mode. These temporary evolved forms have been part of the franchise since the very beginning and are a mainstay of Japanese pop culture. It is always fun to see just how glorious that super mode will look like and the best part of this fiction being used to sell toys is that we do get the toys of these super modes. We even have super modes that don't even have fiction attributed to them like our first pick...

5. Transformers Dark of the Moon Ultimate Optimus Prime

This is overkill in the best way possible. I love how the trailer adds those wings flaring all about. This really looks like the very last thing you will see before being blown to bits. My only problem with this toy is how the combined form is rather immobile and how the armor is very tricky to bring back to trailer mode. Still, its super cool to see Optimus integrate with his trailer in such a symbiotic way.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Optimus Prime Super Mode Transformers Toys

4. Transformers Robots In Disguise Omega Prime (God Fire Convoy)

This is a combination of Robots in Disguise (2001) Ultra Magnus and Optimus Prime (known as God Magnus and Fire Convoy in Japan). The only issue with this toy is stability. Aside from that, awesome! The chrome just shines and that unique head sculpt is killer. I will admit that he is not simple to combine but the result is well worth it and it definitely makes up for how lackluster the Ultra Magnus component is in robot mode.

Transformers Robots In Disguise Ultra Magnus (God Magnus) Gallery

3. Transformers Cybertron Optimus Prime (Galaxy Convoy) Super Mode

I love how solid the connection of the added pieces are. The rearranging of the legs is very clever and the literal backpack is just so much fun. I love how you can have two ways to arrange the weapons as either shoulder cannons or underarm mini-guns. And he just looks so good. Of course, if you wish, this can extend to the other configurations using this mold though I much prefer the Sonic Wing mode (with Wing Saber) over the Savage Claw mode (with Leobreaker).

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Optimus Prime Super Mode Transformers Toys

2. Transformers Super God Masterforce Powermaster Optimus Prime w/ Apex Armor (God Ginrai)

Thanks to reissues, both the Japan and US versions are as affordable and attainable so I am making this a general entry for this true staple of later G1 toys. For many, this was even their first Optimus and what a great way to go about it. What is truly fun about this set is the added level of just how much you want to add to Prime in both his modes. For vehicle mode, when linking his trailer you can mount his guns like you want, arming him to the teeth. You could the add and his canon. In robot mode, you do get a very small transforming Prime and his small stature just adds to the impact of how big you can make him. Not only can he become Power Master Optimus but you can also bring in his friend Godbomber for the power up to end all power ups. He just looks magnificent. While the articulation isn't there, going from a small cab into his Power Master form is a feat the newer Generations Powermaster Optimus does not do, technically removing the notion of being a super mode for Optimus. But that doesn't matter, we have the original (which stands better). And lest we forget the Fire Guts Ginrai re deco which references his ultimate super mode in the show.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Optimus Prime Super Mode Transformers Toys
Transformers Super God Masterforce Powermaster Optimus Prime w/ Apex Armor (God Ginrai) Gallery

Transformers G1 1988 Hi-Q (Ginrai) Gallery

Transformers G1 1988 Hi-Q (Ginrai) Gallery

Transformers Super God Masterforce Fire Guts God Ginrai Gallery

1. Transformers Energon Wing Saber Optimus Prime Super Mode

Yup an Energon Autobot toy gets to be number 1 on a list, doesn't happen every day. But this is because this combination is the only thing that makes up for how lackluster both of these toys are on their own. Wingsaber (an awesome looking Star Saber homage!) doesnt even have any head articulation since it splits in half for the combined form! But what a combined for it is. It has solid latching on points and greatly improves on both articulation, which lacked for Wingsaber, and proportions, which lacked greatly for Optimus. Plus, you can actually switch the boots for the gauntlets to have two totally different looking super modes and both are as fun and bring out a different deco element while always remaining very red and blue which is so fitting to this awesome Optimus Prime Super mode. This brings back the idea of the deluxe and mega Autobots who can act as both pants and shirts for a super robot, but with better results than anything else in this line. Wingsaber was so expensive that it was actually cheaper to hunt down the Takara version but I found it well worth it in the end simply because the combination was so much better than a sum of its parts.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Optimus Prime Super Mode Transformers Toys

Honourable mentions: I wouldn't have picked any of these in a top 5 but in case you were wondering what else was out there, well you had the Arms Micron Unicron super mode toy that worked with First Edition Optimus Prime from the Prime toy line. You also had the Powerlinx Prime which used the drones that came with Energon Prime in a Voltron fashion, and you also had the multiple Armada Prime configurations, along with the Movie Jetfire combination, just to name a few. Oh and of course, Ultra Prime from Combiner Wars.

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Prime Super Mode Transformers Toys (1942081)
Posted by Emerje on February 24th, 2018 @ 7:24am CST
I don't have DotM Ultimate Optimus Prime, but I've got the other four. I'd personally go with this order:

4. Cybertron Optimus Prime
3. Wing Saber Optimus Prime
2. God Ginrai
1. God Fire Convoy

My problem with Cybertron Prime was that he didn't to me feel so much like he was taking a super mode, but rather becoming complete. I guess I rank combining with a second character higher than just combining with a trailer. And by that logic I would indeed place Wing Saber Optimus Prime at 1 if he was being compared to Super Ginrai and Super Fire Convoy.

Emerje
Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Prime Super Mode Transformers Toys (1942095)
Posted by Lore Keeper on February 24th, 2018 @ 9:22am CST
Great list. I do have to say that Energon Prime would never make my number one. He's very finicky and floppy, at least on the copies I have. I just always felt disappointed with the end product. Omega Prime / God Fire Convoy would have to be my number one. That toy is just gorgeous.
Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Prime Super Mode Transformers Toys (1942099)
Posted by Ironhidensh on February 24th, 2018 @ 9:49am CST
I would put Omega Prime in the #1 spot, take Energon Prime out, throw it in the trash, and replace with Armada Jetfire Prime.

Other than that, no issues.
Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Prime Super Mode Transformers Toys (1942103)
Posted by Quantum Surge on February 24th, 2018 @ 10:00am CST
I prefer Jetwing Prime over Ultimate Prime, and my list would go as the following:

5. Powermaster Prime (would be higher if we do get an MP style version, but a nicer toy than the original nonetheless)
4. Jetwing Prime (a bit simple, but very effective, especially with the premium version)
3. RID Optimus/Omega Prime (both look fantastic, but at the cost of the joints being weak overtime)
2. Energon Optimus Wing Mode (why did we get the multi colored drones before this?
Even as a Power Rangers fan, those drones suck compared to Wing Saber's colors and design, though shame about his lack of articulation)
1. Cybertron Optimus (call me biased because he's my very first TF toy ever, but that guy is simply amazing! I don't have Wing Saber and Leobreaker, but the former looked redundant minus the swords, and the latter looked unwieldy, so Cyb. Prime is perfect as he is!)
Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Prime Super Mode Transformers Toys (1942106)
Posted by TK415 on February 24th, 2018 @ 10:29am CST
Cool list! Super modes are fun!
Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Prime Super Mode Transformers Toys (1942109)
Posted by Acesmcgee on February 24th, 2018 @ 10:59am CST
Like the list, it was a "wish I had it" list. Only super mode prime I owned was Armada Prime, I used to spend so long turnijng him into Super mode and out just to watch the auto transforming gimmick.
Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Prime Super Mode Transformers Toys (1942115)
Posted by kurthy on February 24th, 2018 @ 11:51am CST
I've got to say, never cared for any of the movie combined modes, finicky at best so that gets punted into the heap.

I've heard so many good things about 1 and 3 but I was out of collecting at the time, so I'll keep Will's spot for those.
5. PMOP plus Apex armor, commemorative II. Strictly better than the original PMOP because of apex and I can't include other versions of the mold because those are all Ginrai.

4. Armada OP with jetfire pants and Overload shoulders. This thing is a brick but it is fun to play with none the less. Being able to give them a sorta combined vehicle mode is awesome, too! Also, first version to combine OP and JF, take that movie-verse.

3. I'll take Will's word for it.

2. Omega Prime, this is one guy I wish I still had from my original collection. Completely new take on OP at the time. Double over the shoulder cannons, huge and poseable.

1. I'll take Will's word for it.

I can't include the TR PMOP (not a super mode, it is the mode), or the legends release (not OP, it's Ginrai).
Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Prime Super Mode Transformers Toys (1942116)
Posted by Rated X on February 24th, 2018 @ 11:51am CST
Take out G1 Ginrai and replace it with Legends Ginrai.
Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Prime Super Mode Transformers Toys (1942154)
Posted by Burn on February 24th, 2018 @ 3:15pm CST

Cybertron Prime has great modes all round, Energon Prime uncombined makes ME look skinny!
Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Prime Super Mode Transformers Toys (1942155)
Posted by kurthy on February 24th, 2018 @ 3:16pm CST
Burn wrote:lol ... Energon Prime ahead of Cybertron Prime ... whatever you're smoking Will I think it's time you laid off it.

And he skips leg days!
Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Prime Super Mode Transformers Toys (1942170)
Posted by transformers_va on February 24th, 2018 @ 4:41pm CST
I'm not sure if this qualifies, but if it did, I'd definitely put ROTF Prime on this list. Whilst I'm not usually a fan of Bayformers, his combined mode with Jetfire makes for a really impressive display.

Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Prime Super Mode Transformers Toys (1942183)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on February 24th, 2018 @ 5:04pm CST
I think that this category of Optimus figures can be separated into 2 ways of looking at them: looks and poseability. According to those 2 qualifiers, the lists would be very different.

But, since they have to be combined (excuse the pun), here's my list:

5. Powermaster Optimus Prime w/ Apex Armor

4. RoTF Jet Convoy

3. God Fire Convoy

2. Galaxy Convoy

1. Super Fire Convoy

Honorable mention: Armada Jet Convoy
Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Prime Super Mode Transformers Toys (1942187)
Posted by william-james88 on February 24th, 2018 @ 5:09pm CST

I don't know why we are discussing about an uncombined prime. The whole point of the list is to look at supermodes and him sucking on his own is not really a detriment. Instead, the fact that the combined mode removes all the faults of either toys, like adding articulation and fixing proportions, is pretty amazing to me.
Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Prime Super Mode Transformers Toys (1942190)
Posted by Burn on February 24th, 2018 @ 5:27pm CST
william-james88 wrote:

Sadly that was Energon all over. Crappy toys that were dramatically improved by combining with another.

I could only come up with a top 3.

1. Cybertron Optimus Prime
2. Robots in Disguise Optimus Prime (on his own)
3. Powermaster Optimus Prime
Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Prime Super Mode Transformers Toys (1942205)
Posted by Ultra Markus on February 24th, 2018 @ 6:39pm CST
as far as the ultimate optimus prime goes it was a good idea on paper but fell flat in reality
i dont think it should have made the list because it was lacking in so many ways, DOTM wing mode optimus prime should be No 5 instead
now if they went and did something that made a more compelling combination with movie jetfire then yeah
Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Prime Super Mode Transformers Toys (1942256)
Posted by Zeedust on February 24th, 2018 @ 10:40pm CST
william-james88 wrote:Oh and of course, Ultra Prime from Combiner Wars.

Ultra Prime or Optimus Maximus? Or do you consider them essentially one and the same?

Also, I know they wouldn't make the list, but would Daikenzan/Daigekisou from Transformers Go be considered part of the category?
Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Prime Super Mode Transformers Toys (1942301)
Posted by Emerje on February 25th, 2018 @ 1:49am CST
Zeedust wrote:
william-james88 wrote:Oh and of course, Ultra Prime from Combiner Wars.

They're technically Combiners. The difference is that super modes typically have a core bot that gets armored up without the core changing too much. Super Ginrai/PM Optimus Prime (the core folds up rather than maintaining the bot form) is an exception since his armor is an extension of himself (his trailer) already. Same could be said about Armada Prime, though it gets a bit complicated when he puts on his Jetfire pants.

Emerje
Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Prime Super Mode Transformers Toys (1942304)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on February 25th, 2018 @ 2:10am CST
Not really a fan of these except some fondness for the original G1 Powermaster Prime and no, not that tacky Godbomber crud. Always absolutely hated that addition. It looks horrendous. Always has. The regular PM super mode looks iconic and memorable. The Godbomber just covers it all with a bland design and overly-chromey stuff that takes away every bit of character from the toy and gives it silly-looking wings.

I kinda like the DotM Prime supermode but not really as something that's supposed to be practical and mobile but more something just pretty and symbolic on the shelf.
Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Prime Super Mode Transformers Toys (1942345)
Posted by ExciKaiser on February 25th, 2018 @ 9:03am CST
The only issue with this list is the fact that we didn't really got more than what is inside.

What are the leftovers ?

- Armada Optimus
- Animated Wingblade optimus
- rotf Optimus + jetfire
- Potp Primal (not yet released)
- Legends Ginrai + Godbomber

And these ones I'm not even sure they count :

- Potp Orion to Optimus ?
- Deluxe Energon Prime (more a combiner ?)
- Go! eXPrime (again, more a combiner..)
Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Prime Super Mode Transformers Toys (1942359)
Posted by Overcracker on February 25th, 2018 @ 11:00am CST
Emerje wrote:
Zeedust wrote:
william-james88 wrote:Oh and of course, Ultra Prime from Combiner Wars.

Emerje

Jetfire pants are the best kind of pants. You can lounge at home or fly to the store and back in total comfort.

Anyway, I have to agree with Will, Energon Prime's combinations with Wing Saber improve him 500%.

I actually managed to track down a Sonokong release of Wing Saber for quite cheap many many years ago. The fact it had the better paint job from Takara was an added bonus.

As to Cybertron Prime, I think his combination with Wing Saber is much better that his combination with his own trailer. Massive rail guns notwithstanding.

His Savage Claw mode however, quite weak, and could not really be used with Wing Saber, though it could be used with his trailer.

There's also Energon Prime's Omega Supreme cosplay mode. But that one is much less effective. Even the helmet is too small to look decent on Omega's body.

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #201 - Sweet Boy