Top 5 Best Ratchet Transformers Toys

Sunday, March 15th, 2020 12:00am CDT

Categories: Site Articles, Editorials, Top Lists
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 27,778

Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are my opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

Top 5 Best Ratchet Transformers Toys

It seems like Hasbro and Takara waited until after I wrote my first Best of Ironhide list to finally do him some justice, at least in terms of toys with his G1 design. Since both characters often share the same design and toys, the fact that I waited until now for a Top 5 Ratchet means that we can get a much better representation of that character. So let's get to it.

5. Studio Series Ratchet

While it is a slight improvement over the Dark of the Moon Ratchet figure, that still means it is building off of the best movie Ratchet we ever had. It has an involved but pleasant transformation for a deluxe which becomes very dynamic due to all the 180 turns you keep having to perform. That makes makes this one of my go to toys when I just want to experience a nice transformation. With the scale revised in the Studio Series line, this Studio Series Ratchet ends up looking better in scale with the rest of the toys in its toyline than the original Dark of the Moon mold did. Plus there are some really nice additions, like the headlights on his shoulders, which were resent in the film and easy to see since they were turned on when this character was first introduced to Sam at night time. Of course, that means the Dark of the Moon repaint is just as good, if not better depending on your preferences in the deco and weapon. - William-James88

4. Transformers Animated Cybertron Mode Ratchet

The first thing I notice when I hold any figure from this line is the quality of the plastic. The figure feels very sturdy in hand in either mode. I really wish more Transformers figures were this durable because I don't feel like I need to worry about the toy breaking. Transformers are meant to be enjoyed and played with. It's a lot easier to enjoy the experience of transforming and posing when you don't have to worry about something breaking.

Getting back to what I specifically enjoy about this figure, I would have to say that the altmode is really fun because it's a creative fantasy vehicle. It's looks like a frog mixed with a tank that is also somehow an ambulance. A tank-frog-bulance? Is that even a word? It is now. He is also unique in the way that his play feature is to use his defibrillator pads to revive his allies.

I also have to say that I like that we got a happy looking Ratchet. He's usually serious or grumpy but this figure does a great job or representing the younger Ratchet we see in Transformers Animated before he aged and grew to be more hardened by his experiences. - Wreckerjack

3. Transformers Prime: Robots In Disguise Ratchet

Fans of the Transformers Prime TV show can appreciate the level of care that went into sculpting Ratchet's features. His head and torso are well molded and the details are very accurate to the show. I am glad they chose to keep his transformation simple by molding these things and painting them. They didn't miss a beat with the doors on his chest or his grill. One of my favorite things about this figure is how the light piping is used to give our grumpy ol' docbot glowing optics to enhance his expression.

One of the coolest things is the arms are designed to hide his hands when he holds his scalpel blades if you choose to fold them in. It also works nicely with his transformation and feels satisfying when the forearm panels click into place. This makes posing him an absolute blast. Of course you can have him hold his weapons any way you'd like and still get great poses.- Wreckerjack

2. Transformers Masterpiece Ratchet

Oh man, I remember getting this toy as Ironhide and being blown away. We finally had a good update to that G1 design and it was far better than decent, it was grrrrrreat! And then we got Ratchet, which we all saw coming, and I think he looks even better. Mainly due to the pelvic area which looks less bloated, and I really like the EKG display feature you can have for his chest. This toy is the winner we all knew it would be. - William-James88

1. Siege Ratchet

Was that so hard?! All we wanted, for over a decade, was to have an updated version of the G1 toy that was not as awful and not hard to get. And yet, Ratchet always got the shaft. We got the very poor Universe toy, and then there was the slight retool in Combiner Wars that was only available if you went to the Custom Class at Botcon or ought an entire Takara Unit Warriors Lynxmaster. But that is all behind us now because Hasbro has now given us perfectly fine Siege Ratchet that, while still exclusive, was more accessible than the previous attempt at a Classics Ratchet. I really love that they went the extra mile, more than even the MP which had to stay cartoon accurate, at making him unique from Inrohide. Every surface detailing is different, even his hands. I was so impressed I wrote an entire article on just that. He even got special accessories and the asymmetric detailing on his forearms to give him sculpted surgical tools was a really nice touch. That played into the med bay mode they also gave him. Ratchet was never given as much special attention in a toy and he feels truly unique, which I think is a great way to represent a bot who I believe is an icon within the franchise. - William-James88

Honourable Mentions:

I always liked the first movie's voyager class toy. It was very well engineered and it was a nice mix of the blocky transformations of old with some more complexity thrown in for detail and good measure (like the legs morphing). It kept being reissued for every film almost, that's how good the mold was. I would also like to give a shout out to the Cyberverse Spark Armor Ratchet since I love the design and transformation. There is a lot going on for a scout class toy there.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Ratchet Transformers Toys

Re: Top 5 Best Ratchet Transformers Toys (2056679)
Posted by ǝuoǝɥʇʎɹɐɔ on March 15th, 2020 @ 1:51am CDT
Need to drop that green impostor and slot this chonky boy in as a solid #4.

He was my CHUG Ratchet until Siege rolled around.
Re: Top 5 Best Ratchet Transformers Toys (2056680)
Posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman on March 15th, 2020 @ 1:57am CDT
carytheone wrote:Need to drop that green impostor and slot this chonky boy in as a solid #4.

He was my CHUG Ratchet until Siege rolled around.
:roll: Being a different series' Ratchet does not make Studio Series Ratchet an impostor. Nor does being emergency services day-glo green. Also, Studio Series Ratchet doesn't have exposed leg hollows like that one does :P
Are you trolling again, carytheone? Maybe we should punish your smart mouth by replacing MP Ratchet with Powerlinx Armada Red Alert (since he was called Ratchet in Japan) :twisted:
Re: Top 5 Best Ratchet Transformers Toys (2056681)
Posted by ǝuoǝɥʇʎɹɐɔ on March 15th, 2020 @ 2:09am CDT
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:

He was my CHUG Ratchet until Siege rolled around.
You keep forgetting; my list, my criteria, my opinion.

Hollow parts don't bother me. I feel that RID15 Ratchet is a solid and fun toy worth praising.

Are you trolling again, carytheone?
Not this time... ;;)

Who is this we? How would that punish me?
Re: Top 5 Best Ratchet Transformers Toys (2056684)
Posted by Burn on March 15th, 2020 @ 2:26am CDT

Re: Top 5 Best Ratchet Transformers Toys (2056686)
Posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman on March 15th, 2020 @ 2:40am CDT
Burn, I'd say he was more passable than truly good, especially with the production fault in the chest.

carytheone wrote:
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:Maybe we should punish your smart mouth by replacing MP Ratchet with Powerlinx Armada Red Alert (since he was called Ratchet in Japan) :twisted:
Who is this we? How would that punish me?
It would punish you for your variety-intolerance by putting another Ratchet in the list who wasn't in G1 colors :P

Day-glo green is a common color on ambulances and other emergency vehicles in the modern day, whether as a primary color or as an accent. So it's entirely appropriate for Ratchet.
Re: Top 5 Best Ratchet Transformers Toys (2056690)
Posted by EvasionModeBumblebee on March 15th, 2020 @ 6:30am CDT
Yeah, SS Ratchet is my favorite movie Ratchet too
(The DOTM version in particular, that shade of green is really eye-catching). The old voyager is fun, but parts are always popping off on mine. Hopefully we’ll get some looks at an MPM Ratchet sooner or later!
Re: Top 5 Best Ratchet Transformers Toys (2056693)
Posted by blackeyedprime on March 15th, 2020 @ 7:19am CDT
List would be tough for me as I don't consider the siege one worth hunting down or paying more than a voyager for. The crosshairs use has some lazy transformation.

The studio series ratchet is a big dissapointment, I had first isuue baynus ratchet and the G1 recoloring (which I'd probably have in the list) and would have kept one of them if I'd known about studio series vehicle mode. Robot modes okay in studio series but when transformed the scale of the ambulance is smaller than most deluxe cars and really doesn't fit in with other studio series. He needed to be voyager or have some more involved transformation. I think even g1 reissue with cardboard head probably beats studio series.

Quite liked the animated activator, and I think my list might include the energon tow line repaint - but not sure how much it screams ambulance. So some of the top five spots (to avoid overly panelly vehicles) might have to be the decoy or SCF figure o.O
Re: Top 5 Best Ratchet Transformers Toys (2056694)
Posted by Tigerhawk7109 on March 15th, 2020 @ 8:24am CDT
Gotta say: I really want that Siege Ratchet now!

:BH-PREDACON:
Re: Top 5 Best Ratchet Transformers Toys (2056695)
Posted by ǝuoǝɥʇʎɹɐɔ on March 15th, 2020 @ 8:56am CDT
Burn wrote:Don't give a flying **** what anyone says, this guy was a good figure and was also readily available at a decent price point to the majority of the world.

If you say so ;)

I never handled the Universe Ironhide/Ratchet mold but I've heard very little if anything good about it. I've watched a few old reviews, but a lot has changed since these figures were released. Can anyone elaborate on it's merits in a post Siege world? Asking for a friend that saw it was redeco'd into Soundwave.
Re: Top 5 Best Ratchet Transformers Toys (2056699)
Posted by Quantum Surge on March 15th, 2020 @ 10:26am CDT
Studio Series Ratchet has better proportions than the DOTM one, and I like the headlights that swivel for the robot mode, but the plastic is sadly cheaper than what we got previously, and there is less coloring to break up the green. Wish I got Animated Ratchet, PRID Ratchet is cool, shame he needed the Reprolabels so badly. Don't care about the MP Ratchet, but I do like Siege Ratchet save for the white tires.

Now I want to see a larger scale Cyberverse Ratchet, an MPM Ratchet, a cooler-looking MP Ratchet done by a 3P company, a Botcon SG Ratchet, a makeover for Universe Ratchet, and a zipper for CTO.
Re: Top 5 Best Ratchet Transformers Toys (2056701)
Posted by Randomhero on March 15th, 2020 @ 11:09am CDT
carytheone wrote:
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:

He was my CHUG Ratchet until Siege rolled around.
You keep forgetting; my list, my criteria, my opinion. [quote]

So we have to respect you’re criteria, list and opinion while you choose to disrespect everyone else’s including the person who wrote the article. Kay.
Re: Top 5 Best Ratchet Transformers Toys (2056702)
Posted by william-james88 on March 15th, 2020 @ 12:21pm CDT
Quantum Surge wrote: a Botcon SG Ratchet,

We got one, I posted a link to it in the number 1 entry paragraph.

Randomhero wrote:
carytheone wrote:
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:

He was my CHUG Ratchet until Siege rolled around.
You keep forgetting; my list, my criteria, my opinion.

Thanks for looking out for me but it's fine, once I post these lists, they are out of my hands and I just hope you enjoy them. As long as it sparks some kind of discussion, which is what's happening, I'm happy.
Re: Top 5 Best Ratchet Transformers Toys (2056707)
Posted by TulioDude on March 15th, 2020 @ 2:40pm CDT
Nice list!
I hope we get news of a Masterpiece Movie Ratchet.
Re: Top 5 Best Ratchet Transformers Toys (2056711)
Posted by Randomhero on March 15th, 2020 @ 3:58pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:
Quantum Surge wrote: a Botcon SG Ratchet,

We got one, I posted a link to it in the number 1 entry paragraph.

Randomhero wrote:
carytheone wrote:
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:

He was my CHUG Ratchet until Siege rolled around.
You keep forgetting; my list, my criteria, my opinion.

It’s honestly not fine though. While you don’t take offense people like him need to understand and respect others especially when they decide to start tossing around “it’s my opinion” when they themselves won’t accept others have different opinions than theirs.
Re: Top 5 Best Ratchet Transformers Toys (2056713)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on March 15th, 2020 @ 4:53pm CDT
Siege being #1 is very appropriate. It's the perfect G1 updated toy that is solid, look good in all modes, and is solid to transform.

Personally, I would have replaced Prime Ratchet by the Cyberverse Armor one because if he'd be deluxe sized, he would have been #1.
Also, is MP Ratchet some excusive? Because he's way more expensive than Ironhide for some reasons.

Finally, the G1 original will always hold a special place in my heart.
Re: Top 5 Best Ratchet Transformers Toys (2056723)
Posted by Skritz on March 15th, 2020 @ 7:15pm CDT
Re: Top 5 Best Ratchet Transformers Toys (2056724)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on March 15th, 2020 @ 7:28pm CDT
Skritz wrote:Do we even need those top five? No offense but its always going to end with either recent CHUG or Masterpiece at number 1. Why even bother? >:oP

Well, this just proves that Transformers toys IMPROVES over time.
So that's good news.
Re: Top 5 Best Ratchet Transformers Toys (2056725)
Posted by Randomhero on March 15th, 2020 @ 7:33pm CDT

You could just go out your day day without clicking on it and reading them. It is an option to look at these. They’re just for fun
Re: Top 5 Best Ratchet Transformers Toys (2056726)
Posted by william-james88 on March 15th, 2020 @ 7:55pm CDT

So this is how you tell me that you only read half my lists?

:-( :-( :-(

Anyways, were you there for my previous list?

https://www.seibertron.com/transformers ... oys/44588/
Re: Top 5 Best Ratchet Transformers Toys (2056727)
Posted by Skritz on March 15th, 2020 @ 7:56pm CDT
Randomhero wrote:

It's more that I find the top spot generally less interesting to read about in terms of engineering/what the figure has to offer compared to stranger picks. It's a case of 'the answer is so obvious, why even make it a ranking', you know?

Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 06 Voyager Class Movie 1 Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Crashbash" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers B1798AS0 Warpath Figure Combiner Wars" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #245 - On a Boat
"On a Boat"
Posted: Saturday, April 4th, 2020

Buy "2013 Transformers G1 Optimus Prime XL 8" Vinyl Figure Loyal Subjects Exclusive" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS AUTOBOT WHIRL 30TH ANNIVERSARY 2014 Sealed Box" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers - Siege War for Cybertron Deluxe Class, Ratchet  (Exclusive)" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers AoE Drift Hasbro TF4 Age of Extinction Autobot Voyager Class MISB" on EBAY
Buy "G1 TRANSFORMERS 1985 HELICOPTER WHIRL PHOTON BEAM RIFLE GUN PART ACCESSORY GEN 1" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Thrilling 30 Lot of 32 Arcee Roadbuster Chromia More" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations 30th Anniversary Voyager Class Whirl" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition AOE Silver Knight Optimus Prime Leader 100% Comp" on EBAY