Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Drill Themed Alt Modes

Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Drill Themed Alt Modes

Friday, April 10th, 2020 11:35pm CDT

Categories: Site Articles, Editorials, Top Lists
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 57,250

Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are my opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Drill Themed Alt Modes

You'd be surprised how many Transformers turn into drill themed alt modes, mainly drill tanks. They come up throughout the generations. G1 alone had a Powerdasher, Twin Twist, Nosecone and Drill Horn. All those got redone in the Generations line (even multiple times for some). Beast Wars couldn't resist keeping the drill theme with Drill-Bit, the Unicron Trilogy gave us Menasor, and one of the best toys from the current Cyberverse line includes a drill tank that you can take apart to armor up Sky Byte. Even the comics made a big deal of the drill tank alt mode when it was believed to be Rung's fabled mysterious alt mode. Just to say that it's a theme we keep seeing. Now that we recently got another toy of this type with Generations Selects Zetar, I thought it would be a fun theme of toys to explore. And I am sure all of us would like a fun distraction at the moment.

5. Transformers G1 Victory Drillhorn

While there were many drill tanks in the long G1 era, the only one who's update was rather lackluster compared to the original is Drillhorn. What's great about the G1 version, aside from it being an original mold of a decent looking drilltank, is how Takara went all out on the animal theme. The Liokaiser combiner, as the name would suggest, had an animal theme going on where each bot not only had an animal styled helmet but also a triple changing animal partner. Drillhorn had a robot Rhino buddy that turned into a gun and a chest shield. Add that to him also being a combiner component and you just have loads of playability in one set.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Drill Themed Alt Modes

4. Transformers Cybertron Menasor (Moledive)

While the Transformation is barely anything to talk about, it's still quite an imposing toy in both robot mode and alt mode and that drill plays a big factor in that. And I always like to plug in the Unicron trilogy since it's an often forgotten generations but here we see that they were being new and fresh in designs while still homaging some aspects of G1, like the idea of drill tanks and reusing G1 names like Menasor. I just love how nightmarish this toy is in that nimble looking alt mode with that cowcatcher and drill weapons extended out on both sides, making this seem far more offensive in design than anything linked to construction.

3. Transformers Power Core Combiners Sledge

The Power Core combiners get a bad rap for their combiner limbs, which is understandable. They arent articulated, don't have their own bot modes, and are spring loaded. But that bad rap should not extend to the core bots where several are very good toys all on their own. Like Sledge for instance who looks great in both alt mode and robot mode. What takes him up a notch is his partner Throttler who probably has the best (or most convincing) alt mode, which is a big drill. You can attach that drill to Sledge's alt mode or even to his chest in robot mode. It also turns into an armour for both Sledge in robot mode and the bigger combiner.

2. Titans Return Twin Twist

Top Spin and Twin Twist were a big surprise for me in Titans Return. They were easily the most lackluster G1 figures for me, and we didn't really have better versions of these cool characters looking as they did in the G1 comics. But then Titans Return came and the designers went all out on these. For starters, these were big deluxes. Also, as with the G1 toys, even though they transform similarly and have a similar build, there was enough difference in the two molds to make them distinct more than just in colour scheme. Which should be the case when they have different alt modes. I really like the transformation, where it requires big pivoting movements and how the arms recede is always very satisfying.

1. Transformers Unite Warriors Nosecone

This toy is perfect. Combiner Wars was founded on the idea that henceforth, you could maximize a single design by using it for several characters. While fans were happy it meant they would get lots of characters all at once, I was hesitant. And my fears came true when I saw the poor excuse of a drill tank that Hasbro had in mind with reusing the Combiner Wars Brawl tank mold and adding a tooth pick at the end of it and calling it a day. No way Jose, the drill tank is a sacred alt mode, it needs a good update, not an extra accessory added to the worse mold of the line. Well, Takara answered my call and gave us a really good drill tank in its Combiner Wars line with Unite Warriors Nosecone. I really love how that front drill can even be removed and can become a hand for Computron, which is just cherry on the sunday.

Honourable Mention

Transformers Cyberverse Spark Armor Battle Class Skybyte

Speaking of drill hands, Spark Armor Sky Byte also has that ability. His smaller drill tank drone's drill front can either be handheld or totally fit onto the hand of Sky Byte. It's a great smaller toy all around and easily the best of the first year of the Cyberverse line. And you can see more about him here.

This article was last modified on Friday, April 10th, 2020 11:38pm CDT

Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Drill Themed Alt Modes (2060166)
Posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman on April 10th, 2020 @ 11:42pm CDT
Cybertron Menasor is a cool-looking figure and I'd love to get my hands on him. We need pics of him fighting Combiner Wars Menasor

And ugh, Combiner Wars Computron is a joke all-around.
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Drill Themed Alt Modes (2060167)
Posted by Emerje on April 10th, 2020 @ 11:58pm CDT
Menasor was the only Giant I didn't get. Not that I didn't want him, but he wasn't showing up in my area and I wasn't buying that many Hasbro figures online at the time (mostly importing stuff from HLJ). Amazon wasn't really selling toys in 2006, they were actually acting as TRU's store front at the time (then sued them and left that year).

Anyway, no arguments with the list, though my honorable mention would have gone to Drillbit.

Emerje
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Drill Themed Alt Modes (2060170)
Posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman on April 11th, 2020 @ 12:06am CDT

As far as the USA goes, Menasor I think got the short end of the stick when it came to the assortment he shipped in. Almost tail-end syndrome, but there are figures from later waves that are more common on eBay.
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Drill Themed Alt Modes (2060171)
Posted by Emerje on April 11th, 2020 @ 12:13am CDT
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:HLJ would have been useless for Menasor. He didn't get a Takara release until October 2006, and that was only through eHobby (and in Hasbro packaging). Same for Quickmix.

Derp, I left a word out from my post. I meant to say I wasn't buying many Hasbro figures online at the time, the only figures I was buying online was imports from HLJ. Only time I was buying Hasbro stuff online was clearance stuff from BBTS.

Emerje
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Drill Themed Alt Modes (2060173)
Posted by Burn on April 11th, 2020 @ 12:33am CDT
william-james88 wrote:reusing the Combiner Wars Brawl tank mold and adding a tooth pick at the end of it and calling it a day.

I don't think this could be described any better. It was just one of a couple of reasons why I ended up getting both CW and UW Computron and swapping characters around.
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Drill Themed Alt Modes (2060177)
Posted by Bumblevivisector on April 11th, 2020 @ 1:09am CDT
william-james88 wrote:They come up throughout the generations. G1 alone had a Powerdasher, Twin Twist, Nosecone and Drill Horn. All those got redone in the Generations line (even multiple times for some).
There were 2 other G1 Drill-alt-guys in '88: Quickswitch and Snarler. They don't exactly count in the updated toy category, as TR Quickswitch's tank mode doesn't have a drill (unless one of those extra heads upgrades him), and we have yet to get any update of the self-centered borer-boar and lone G1 pig.

100% agree with the main list though. You addressed the very essence of what a drill-themed toy should mean, Will! UW Nosecone surprised and blew me away like no other CW era toy,in both the playability and show-accuracy departments. Count me among the fans who only bought CW Computron for Scrounge.

Twin Twist's update, on the other hand, is one of those oddballs whose TR toy slipped through my fingers, yet I got Takara's. Also true for Misfire, but I miss Hasbro TT's guns more. Are their TT toys more expensive and harder to find than their Legends counterparts now?
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Drill Themed Alt Modes (2060179)
Posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman on April 11th, 2020 @ 1:21am CDT
Yeah. The TR Jumpstarters are harder to find and more costly than the Legends versions now. Annoying, because the Legends versions only come with Targetmaster partners who are ultimately meant for other characters. The same problem hits Doublecross and Windblade (she at least has a sword, but..).
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Drill Themed Alt Modes (2060190)
Posted by Acolyte on April 11th, 2020 @ 4:36am CDT
The Cyberverse Skybite is legit - truly one of the only good figures from the first year of the line, and it is actually a really good figure all around. I still have him right here in my desk drawer. I'd happily take a scaled up version of this guy if they ever decided to reattack the Beast Wars line in Generations. It's already 2x as good as the original (always hated that permanently bent fish and all the fiddly parts of the transformation).

Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Drill Themed Alt Modes (2060192)
Posted by Bounti76 on April 11th, 2020 @ 6:00am CDT
I'd agree with UW Nosecone but for two things: his alt and bot modes look nothing like the G1 toy (which I always favor), and his cartoon colors make him look like the counter help at Taco Bell in the 80s.
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Drill Themed Alt Modes (2060197)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on April 11th, 2020 @ 6:55am CDT
Japan LOVE their drill-tanks. Every single sky-fi series ever had at least one drill tank in it. Anime, super sentai, everything. So it's no surprise that Transformers have it's fair share.

Cybertron Menasor will always have a special place in my heart. I randomly found him at a flea market for just 10$CAN. It was in perfect condition but it was missing it's cyber key and it's minicon, of course. At that price, I still bought him anyway.

Some hours later, I was fiddling with it at a bus stop and I discovered that his chest compartiment could open... and here it was, Menasor's minicon! I was so happy, you'd thought I had won the lottery!

I eventually gave him a loose spare cyberkey that I had lying around. To this day, I will keep him forever and I'll never put him in deep storage either.
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Drill Themed Alt Modes (2060199)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on April 11th, 2020 @ 7:04am CDT
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:And ugh, Combiner Wars Computron is a joke all-around.

Oh hell no!
I have the CW Hasbro set and it's one of the best CW combiner there is. The only true joke is the drill tank. But appart that, it have it's own unique molds and color scheme plus it have a bonus yellow Cosmos with a unique head.

Hasbro Computron have better components than the Takara United Warrior set, and vice-versa. That's why many bought both sets to make their "ultimate" Computron. Personally, I'd love to get my hands on a single UW Nosecone, but the price of this single unit is so absurd, it's a hard pass.

So if that exist, I'd rather take a 3P accessory of a bigger drill for Hasbro's CW Nosecone. Like a 3D printed one. Anyone have a link because I can't believe no one made it since then.
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Drill Themed Alt Modes (2060201)
Posted by KTRfan224 on April 11th, 2020 @ 7:55am CDT
Quad drill tanks anyone?

Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Drill Themed Alt Modes (2060203)
Posted by Tigerhawk7109 on April 11th, 2020 @ 8:21am CDT

:BH-PREDACON:
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Drill Themed Alt Modes (2060206)
Posted by Rodimus Knight on April 11th, 2020 @ 9:20am CDT
Tigerhawk7109 wrote:As soon as I saw this list, I knew UW Nosecone would top it.That toy just looks so great to me. He's the main reason I want UW Computicon over the lackluster Hasbro version.

:BH-PREDACON:

Hasbro did a poor job all around on Computron. I ended up getting both versions, but I prefer Takara's version so much better. Hasbro really let us down with theirs.
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Drill Themed Alt Modes (2060207)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on April 11th, 2020 @ 9:52am CDT
-Kanrabat- wrote:I'd rather take a 3P accessory of a bigger drill for Hasbro's CW Nosecone. Like a 3D printed one. Anyone have a link because I can't believe no one made it since then.

Found it.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/PGAH4 ... arketplace

Expensive, but way cheaper than getting the whole UW box set for a single figure.
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Drill Themed Alt Modes (2060208)
Posted by TulioDude on April 11th, 2020 @ 10:21am CDT
Shout-out for Transmetal Scavenger
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Drill Themed Alt Modes (2060213)
Posted by Evil Eye on April 11th, 2020 @ 11:01am CDT
Drill tanks are the best, no question. And this is a great list! Nice to see Throttler getting some love too; he really is a great little figure. I'm a bit annoyed because both the Sledges I bought ended up breaking at exactly the same piece, but Throttler, Throttler is eternal.

Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Drill Themed Alt Modes (2060219)
Posted by Decepticon Stryker on April 11th, 2020 @ 12:07pm CDT
Black Hat wrote:I'd be tempted to put Armada Drillbit in here as an honourable mention, largely because I do love me some Minicons, and Drillbit is a really cool one, with his drill arm and neat vehicle mode.

Same here, love that little guy. Don't have the original color scheme which is unfortunate, but I do have the green repaint of him.

CW Drillhorn is a pretty good figure too, in my opinion. The drill can be attached to him in different ways leading to some pretty cool configurations.
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Drill Themed Alt Modes (2060220)
Posted by Bucky on April 11th, 2020 @ 12:16pm CDT
Acolyte wrote:One bot I would have subbed in for the middle of this list is Beast Wars Transmetal Scavenger. He's just got such a SICK looking bot mode, and his "drill tank" mode is so evil looking with all those metal leg pieces creating an intimidating lattice. It was always one of my favorite drill mode Transformers, and certainly one of the funnest of the Transmetals line. I have a new one coming MIB with Depth Charge (from the Takara Beast Wars Metals line "vs." packs) sometime in the next few weeks.

TM Scavenger immediately jumped to my mind as well, as soon as I read this was a top five drill bots list. It cannot be overstated just how astounding that toy is. He’s truly superb on every level. At least in my book.

Nice to see Sledge on the list. He’s one of the better PCC figures, and I think that’s saying something, since there isn’t any toy in that line that I don’t love.

I knew that the differences between Hasbro’s Computron and Takara’s UW set were many, but I didn’t know they were quite as significant. Those Nosecones are completely different figures. I wish I had had better sense at the time, and jumped on the UW sets. But I also skipped over CW until the last Hasbro wave hit retail, and then I had a change of heart on the whole line, and started backtracking.

Another solid list, as always.
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Drill Themed Alt Modes (2060229)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on April 11th, 2020 @ 2:27pm CDT
It is strange that this is kind of an underutilised altmode in TF fiction, much like Submarines. It is an interesting list, but I would also echo Transmetal Scavenger's inclusion. One of the best unique Transmetals that it was a real shame he didn't make it into the show. That head sculpt is still amazing.

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Soundwave Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Wheeljack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Brawn" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #292 - Planet of Junk
"Planet of Junk"
Posted: Tuesday, January 18th, 2022

Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise RID Sideswipe Figure Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Age of Extinction Stomp And Chomp 20" Grimlock Dinosaur Toy" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Construct-Bots AOE Dinofire Grimlock & Optimus Prime NIB" on EBAY
Buy "2015 TRANSFORMERS THE MOVIE 30TH PLATINUM EDITION ONE SHALL STAND ONE SHALL FALL" on EBAY
Buy "New Playskool Transformers Revenge of the Fallen Mr. Potato Head - Bumble Spud" on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots Roar and Rescue Bumblebee Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers 15BB Buzzworthy Bumblebee Hasbro Studio Series Sealed/New In Box" on EBAY
Buy "Mr Potato Head Mini Mixable Mashable Transformers Hightide Loose Figure nice" on EBAY