Top 5 Transformers Toys Most Likely to Break (and make you cry)

Top 5 Transformers Toys Most Likely to Break (and make you cry)

Saturday, May 28th, 2016 9:12am CDT

Categories: Site Articles, Editorials, Top Lists
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 86,568

Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are my opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

Top 5 Transformer Toys that will shed the most tears

Is there any worse feeling for a collector or child then a piece giving way and it remaining in your hand while you pull away the toy? Or hearing that snap sound? Transformers have so many pieces, unlike other action figures, that some are bound to fall off or break off and it can sometimes break a child's heart, or an adult's heart too. I hope once you have read this list (which is both personal and general) that you can share yours as well!

5. Transformers Reveal The Shield Wreck-Gar

Transformers News: Top 5 Transformers Toys Most Likely to Break (and make you cry)

This is one of the best robot modes around and a really smart cool motorcycle transformer. Except there is one slight issue: he will break if you play with him too much! And it sucks too, it's one of the motorbike's handlebars, which then makes the sweet bike mold look totally uneven. And the added play value of having another Junkion ride the motorcycle kind of becomes moot since his bike is now inoperable. The sad fact about this breakage is that it will happen regardless of if you use it properly, just normal wear and tear will do the trick (though not transforming properly will make it happen sooner). You can't glue it back on because it is part of an automorph gimmick which also gets crushed when the handlebar breaks. So while he can still transform, your handlebar will never get back there and cant be fixed. In this day and age where breakage is supposed to be solved, this is kind of abhorrent. It happened to mine:

4. MP 09 Masterpiece Rodimus Prime and Transformers Masterpiece Starscream (especially Ghost Version MP-3G)

Why do the most fragile toys have to also be the most expensive ones? The initial Masterpiece Starscream mold is very fiddly and there are a lot of things that can happen to even make the manliest of men shed a tear. The transformation is tricky, involving careful thought and understanding of where parts are going to end up and how they need to get there. Although, I found the construction to be sturdy, it has plenty of points where excess force will cause it to break, if mishandled. And then Takara decided to make one version which was all clear plastic, genius! While clear plastic can be sturdy too, it wont bend. So if you turn something the wrong way, it wont start bending and resisting, letting you know you are doing something wrong, it will just snap. I broke the ghost version's arm while I transformed it the 4th time and the thin pointed ends of his tail fin fell off too after rubbing off something (it was like they were there one moment and gone the next). I am not the only one to have had problems with this mold, you can search online for a bunch of reports about broken Starscreams (or any seeker sporting the MP 03 mold). A common one is the wing connector pieces which appear to weaken the more it is transformed, which is something you never want to hear.

Another Masterpiece with similar negative points is MP 09 Rodimus, which is also very very delicate. The way it is built, it is inevitable that every single copy will eventually break if posed in robot mode on a shelf. There have been interesting reports of people just one day hearing a clunk coming from their shelves to see that some piece of their Rodimus had succumbed to gravity. A number of joints can break on this toy, here is an example from fellow Seibertronian Itscramtastic:

And there is this gut wrenching testimony I found online from a user called Robotmonkeys:

Worst purchase was Hasbro Masterpiece Rodimus. I bought it aftermarket at double the price in the summer of 2014. He was my first Mp since Mp 1. I had him for nearly a week when I decided to take him out of the box.
As I carefully removed him, his left arm stayed behind in the blister pack.
My heart sank! After trying all kinds of fixes, I finally got a replacement shoulder. To this day, his arm is limp and not fully assembled due to not being able to successfully push the pin all the way through.

Both these cases are very sad and while I doubt any child would experience this since these toys are collector oriented, big boys and girls can cry. And an expensive collectible breaking may be just that threshold.

3. Transformers Generation 2 Electro (Effectro)

Here is the first case of Gold Plastic Syndrome (GPS) I will address. To get a certain gold pigment or shiny effect in the plastic, different plastics are mixed together and the combinations break down more quickly making the toy crumble before your eyes. While this has happened to differently coloured toys, toys all made of gold plastic in the G2 era (early 90s of Transformer toys) famously suffered from this. G2 Electro is one of the best examples to the point where if you were to buy him mint today, he would probably break when you start handling him or transforming him. Take a good look at the photo below because that it the best way to see an unbroken G2 Electro these days.

2. Transformers Beast Wars Transmetal Megatron

This toy broke apart in my very hands. It was a sad and pathetic sight. I was unaware that he was prone to breakage and thought it was just my clumsy self. So I set to repair him with krazy glue. But as I would glue together one piece another piece would fall off. I tried some more but eventually gave up when I had his chest in my hands and his feet, and separate arms on the floor. Turns out I am not the only one this happened to, not by a long shot. I feel bad for all the kids who had their Megatron fall to pieces as they played with him in the 90s. Just look for Broken Megatron on e-bay and you will see plenty.

1. Transformers Generation 2 Slingshot (Sling)

This here is the second case of GPS I want to bring to our attention with this list. What makes this case extra sad is that he completes a combiner so without him, you don't get a nice G2 Superion. I will let Seibertron, the site owner himself, share a word regarding this toy and his gallery:

Seibertron wrote:Slingshot is everyone's favorite gold-plastic Transformer. The figure is a ticking time bomb before it literally crumbles in your hand. I somehow managed to take an entire photogallery of him with only one non-essential piece cracking. Fortunately, his arms, legs, wings and head stayed intact for the purpose of this gallery. I carefully wrapped him in bubble wrap after this and placed him in a small Ziploc tub intended for food in the fridge. Hopefully that'll keep him in decent shape until needed again but I wouldn't bet any Energon on it!

Transformers Generation 2 Slingshot (Sling) Gallery

Honourable mentions: There are a ton of more toys that are prone to breakage, like the roofs on some G1 cars and Mirage breaking in half, that this list could go on and on and on. So instead of writing more, I would love it if we could turn the entire discussion into the Honourable Mentions section and share which toys of yours broke and which times it hurt the most in your childhood or adult lives. When your toy breaks, no matter if it's a known issue, it will hurt just as bad, so this list is more of a starting point for a discussion.
Pictures are more than welcome (of the broken toy, not of you crying).

This article was last modified on Sunday, May 29th, 2016 5:48pm CDT

Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys Most Likely to Break (and make you cry) (1793206)
Posted by Kurona on May 28th, 2016 @ 9:22am CDT
Actually combining Slingshot? You crazy man.

Seeing a broken Megatron right next to the Tech Specs that put everything about him across as 10+ is simultaneously sad and hilarious.

Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys Most Likely to Break (and make you cry) (1793207)
Posted by Autobot N on May 28th, 2016 @ 9:28am CDT
You forgot EVERY CONSTRUCT-BOT EVER.
Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys Most Likely to Break (and make you cry) (1793210)
Posted by william-james88 on May 28th, 2016 @ 9:33am CDT
Autobot N wrote:You forgot EVERY CONSTRUCT-BOT EVER.

They break? I have several and they are all fine. Please provide pictures :)
Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys Most Likely to Break (and make you cry) (1793213)
Posted by Moody magpie on May 28th, 2016 @ 9:37am CDT
Worst one me to happen was with my Masterpiece Star Sabar, I broke the front bit of his cockpit and when I tried to glue it back I accidentally drop some into his neck joint, now he can't even turn his head sigh! :(
Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys Most Likely to Break (and make you cry) (1793214)
Posted by shauyaun on May 28th, 2016 @ 9:42am CDT
william-james88 wrote:
Autobot N wrote:You forgot EVERY CONSTRUCT-BOT EVER.

They break? I have several and they are all fine. Please provide pictures :)

I have 15 of'em and all fine except for one and that happened when combing it.
How did your's break?
(I wanted to add a photo but I have no idea which of'em are :-P )
Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys Most Likely to Break (and make you cry) (1793215)
Posted by triKlops on May 28th, 2016 @ 9:48am CDT
I would like to throw a well deserved honorable mention to BW Mutants Soundwave.
I had him MOSC for years; I decided to open him to display one day.
Within minutes the figure dismantled itself at all connection points leaving a pile of croc limbs. :HEADHURTS:
Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys Most Likely to Break (and make you cry) (1793216)
Posted by Autobot N on May 28th, 2016 @ 9:49am CDT
william-james88 wrote:
Autobot N wrote:You forgot EVERY CONSTRUCT-BOT EVER.

They break? I have several and they are all fine. Please provide pictures :)
Most all of the breakage occurred years ago, so I've thrown away most of them (I could only find two), and I'm unable to take a picture at the moment. The most sever breakage has come from Soundwave (the hinge that connects the chest to the body), Bumblebee (shoulder and upper leg), Starscream (hinge that connects the backpack to the body), and Thundercracker (backpack hinge). Of course, that's not including all of the ball-joint hinges (the ones that connect the hands and feet to the arms and legs) from pretty much everyone. All of these occurred while I was carefully fiddling around with them (except for Soundwave, but I don't remember exactly how his happened).
Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys Most Likely to Break (and make you cry) (1793218)
Posted by MCutter on May 28th, 2016 @ 10:20am CDT
Kurona wrote:Is the problem with Wreck-Gar universal across all versions of the mold? Is, for instance, the Platinum Planet of Junk Wreck-Gar and Scrapheap okay; or is it not just the original use of the mold it's restricted to?

*edited for clarity*
To my knowledge it is all of them, although I have not seen the Platinum ones in person yet. The problem comes from part of the automorph gimmick. The rubber handlebars are pushed out of the way during transformation to robot mode, but the little nubs meant to keep them stable in bike mode are very often too long or hard, creating shear stress on the plastic they are attached to. Plus, since the automorph only functions when going from bike to 'bot, you would need 3-4 hands to transform it back to bike without stressing their little plastic connection points by forcing the nubs into place.

There is an easy workaround to help prevent the breakage though. In the 'broken' photo in this article you can see a round bump/nub on the inside part of the handle. If you shave those off you will greatly reduce the shear stress on the handles during the automorph and, when transforming to bike mode, you can just pivot the handles into place at the end. I did this to my Junkions after seeing the stress on my first Wreck-Gar, and they've all survived so far.

The other breakage point on this mold tends to be the hands. Since the weapon can/has to be inserted toward the palm, it makes the hand flex outward and the plastic where the fingers meet the palm gets stressed over time. Apart from only inserting weapons from the top of the hand (awkward with the stock weapon) I don't know an easy fix for this one.
Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys Most Likely to Break (and make you cry) (1793220)
Posted by Kurona on May 28th, 2016 @ 10:28am CDT
MCutter wrote:

All of them. The problem comes from part of the automoprh gimmick. Since the handlebars only move on their own when going from bike to 'bot, you would need 3-4 hands to transform it back to bike without stressing their little plastic connection points.

There is an easy workaround to help prevent the breakage though. In the 'broken' photo in this article you can see a round bump on the inside part of the handle. If you shave those off you will remove the handles from the automorph and massively cut down on the plastic stress. I did this to my Junkions after seeing the stress on first Wreck-Gar, and they've all survived so far.

The other breakage point on this mold tends to be the hands. Since the weapon can/has to be inserted toward the palm, it makes the hand flex outward and the plastic where the fingers meet the palm gets stressed over time. Apart from only inserting weapons from the top of the hand, I don't know an easy fix for this one.

Aaaah, thank you very much. I'll keep it in mind for when I eventually get one.

Autobot N wrote:
william-james88 wrote:
Autobot N wrote:You forgot EVERY CONSTRUCT-BOT EVER.

They break? I have several and they are all fine. Please provide pictures :)

Is that mostly in the open sockets where the balljoints go into? I remember having that problem very commonly with post-2007 Bionicle sets.
Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys Most Likely to Break (and make you cry) (1793221)
Posted by Break on May 28th, 2016 @ 10:29am CDT
We had 2-3 of the G1 Jazz figures and every single windshield broke easily.

I think G1 Hook's legs were ridiculously fragile as well, but might have just been mine.
Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys Most Likely to Break (and make you cry) (1793222)
Posted by shajaki on May 28th, 2016 @ 10:31am CDT
Awesome list Will as always. And pretty unique subject matter, its a problem we've all suffered from but I'd never have thought of making it into a list! ;)^

I'd have put MP09 at #1 though, and had this fella in the list.

Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys Most Likely to Break (and make you cry) (1793223)
Posted by Deathsanras on May 28th, 2016 @ 10:32am CDT
Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys Most Likely to Break (and make you cry) (1793224)
Posted by SG Roadbuster on May 28th, 2016 @ 10:34am CDT
i'm legit surprised that Black Zarak wasn't on this list due to his GPS and sheer cost. when parts of a toy that costs more than a used car crumbles to fairy dust even the manliest of men cry like a little girl with a skinned knee.
Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys Most Likely to Break (and make you cry) (1793226)
Posted by ZeroWolf on May 28th, 2016 @ 10:43am CDT
Megs definitely belongs on this list, mine crumbled at the shoulder but luckily enough I was able to secure a replacement.

A mention I feel must go out to maximal silver bolt from the magnaboss set, the latch that secures the two halves of the top of his bird mode together just fell apart while I was combining them. I dare not uncombine them as I don't want him to break further.
Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys Most Likely to Break (and make you cry) (1793227)
Posted by LOST Cybertronian on May 28th, 2016 @ 10:45am CDT
I would think that mp Megatron should get an honorable mention. Definitely made me cry at least. Not sure it's fair to include a couple of figures that suffer from GPS when there are many more figures that suffer also.
Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys Most Likely to Break (and make you cry) (1793228)
Posted by shajaki on May 28th, 2016 @ 10:52am CDT
SG Roadbuster wrote:i'm legit surprised that Black Zarak wasn't on this list due to his GPS and sheer cost.
Good call! I totally forgot about that one.

Hey Will, do you think it's worth mentioning the Takara's Beast Wars Metals Megatron doesn't suffer from the same problems?
Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys Most Likely to Break (and make you cry) (1793231)
Posted by Noideaforaname on May 28th, 2016 @ 11:20am CDT
Immediately thought of this bot:
Every single ball joint cracked out of package! How I wish they made a simple Legends figure for him...

Since Megatron's issue apparently comes down to plastic quality (as the Takara and Armada versions don't have that problem), I wish they'd re-release him using better materials. Would've made a lovely Beast Wars 20th Anniversary item...
Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys Most Likely to Break (and make you cry) (1793233)
Posted by Va'al on May 28th, 2016 @ 11:24am CDT
Most likely to? No.

Did it happen? Yes.

Did I cry? No.

Did Alpha Bravo? Oooh boy.

Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys Most Likely to Break (and make you cry) (1793234)
Posted by Sigma Magnus on May 28th, 2016 @ 11:26am CDT
Let's see...with me, I was always careful with my toys even when I was little, so this wasn't a common occurrence. I think my only TF toys to break was both deluxe Bumblebees from the '07 movie. I was seven years old at the time. The '09 Camaro mold came out of the package with the right door-wing hinge cracked. Over time, it snapped off. I didn't feel very bad, I just swapped parts with the RotF version of the mold. I got the two pack of the '76 Bee and Barricade second hand (the only TF toys in my collection that I didn't get directly out-of-box). Barricade was extremely floppy, but Bee was one of my favorites. But after a few years, it started falling apart. The leg snapped, the arm panel twisted in two, and the wing assembly crumbled, all within a weekend. I was very sad.
Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys Most Likely to Break (and make you cry) (1793235)
Posted by DarkEnergon on May 28th, 2016 @ 11:27am CDT
I'm going right back to animated voyager starscream. Not breaking per se, just such weakly made bits that fell off with a breath. I'm talking hands, fins, landing gear...

Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Nucleon and Galvatron" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #270 - An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster
"An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster"
Posted: Sunday, February 14th, 2021

Buy "transformers tfcc tfss 1.0 Breakdown" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers DOTM Blackout Cyberverse Legends" on EBAY
Buy "TFCC funpub 2013 Transformers club membership Depthcharge Depth Charge botcon" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Reveal the Shield 'G2' Optimus Prime" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers  Collectors Club Dion - Sealed Unopened with instructions" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G2 Reveal the Shield Deluxe Optimus Prime MOSC" on EBAY