Toys R Us Closing all US Stores, Other Countries Likely Affected [UPDATE]

Transformers News: Toys R Us Closing all US Stores, Other Countries Likely Affected [UPDATE]

Wednesday, March 14th, 2018 6:35PM CDT

Category: Company News
Posted by: Qwan   Views: 22,425

[UPDATE: The Wall Street Journal has a quote from Chief Executive David Brandon on the matter of Toys R Us stores in other countries. Brandon says that the company is likely to liquidate in France, Spain, Poland and Australia, and has plans to sell its Canadian, Central European and Asian arms. The only real light in the tunnel here is the prospect of purchase; the company is currently attempting to find a buyer for a 'package' of sorts, comprised of its Canadian branch along with 200 US stores. Other countries' stores may also find themselves saved if a buyer happens to come along - Brandon has said that "all anyone has to do is offer one dollar more” than liquidation firms - but this is still not anywhere near a guarantee that Toys R Us stores are safe anywhere in the world.]

Sad news today, Seibertronians. After months of tension regarding its fate since September last year, Toys R Us has finally made the decision to sell or close all of its US stores, as reported by CNN. This comes not long off the heels of their postponed decision on Monday, but now we know the answer for certain and it's not a heartening one.

Employees have already been notified by the company's CEO, as the Wall Street Journal reports. There is not yet any word on how this will affect Toys R Us' business in Canada and other countries, though with Toys R Us expected to close all UK stores in the coming weeks as well, things aren't looking too good for the brand at large.

From a more Transformers-centric perspective, it's also unclear how this will affect Toys R Us-exclusive figures like the extremely recent Studio Series Thundercracker, and fans' attempts to acquire them. There's a lot of uncertainty going around right now, but with such a huge change as this, it's only to be expected that many things are in flux with no clear direction or solution.

Share your thoughts below in the Energon Pub if you have any perspectives on this issue, and you can be sure that Seibertron.com will be on hand to report on any further developments to this situation and its multitude of loose ends. Until next time Seibertronians, don't take your toys for granted.

Credit(s): CNN Money
Re: Toys R Us Closing all US Stores, Other Countries Likely Affected [UPDATE] (1946192)
Posted by Ultra Markus on March 14th, 2018 @ 6:47pm CDT
giphy.gif
Re: Toys R Us Closing all US Stores, Other Countries Likely Affected [UPDATE] (1946193)
Posted by Qwan on March 14th, 2018 @ 6:48pm CDT
So yeah, dang. Growing up mostly in a rural part of Australia it's not like I've had a whole lot to do with Toys R Us, but I did used to visit relatives in America with my family about once a year, and trips to the nearby Toys R Us were always a memorable highlight. Titanium Rodimus (a toy I still like to this day); Animated Cybertronian Optimus, Ratchet and Arcee; even a couple non-Transformers like the Glatorian Mata Nui and some weird all-terrain Hot Wheels vehicle; I have clear memories of picking up each and every one from that huge child-haven full of toys.

It is just a retail company, and not even a very popular one at that, but TRU was probably a big part of a lot of people's childhoods and it does strike a bit of a chord with me to see it go. Seems I'm overly sentimental about this, eh? Ah well... I'm guessing the big news now is going to be how TRU Canada/Australia/Asia etc. are affected by this - there's no way they're coming out totally unscathed, at least.
Re: Toys R Us Closing all US Stores, Other Countries Likely Affected [UPDATE] (1946194)
Posted by Quantum Surge on March 14th, 2018 @ 6:50pm CDT
Re: Toys R Us Closing all US Stores, Other Countries Likely Affected [UPDATE] (1946196)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on March 14th, 2018 @ 6:53pm CDT
Burn wrote:
-Kanrabat- wrote:
Ironhidensh wrote:http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/14/news/companies/toys-r-us-closing-stores/index.html

Damn.
So TrU will remain only in Canada and Asia? :-(

FYI, TRU Australia isn't part of the TRU Asia group. >:oP

Close enough. [-(

Still, hope your TrU stay open.
Re: Toys R Us Closing all US Stores, Other Countries Likely Affected [UPDATE] (1946197)
Posted by Ebonyleopard on March 14th, 2018 @ 6:54pm CDT
I guess I have to grow up. I was a ToysRUs kid. So many different kinds of toys that I could play with. From bikes to trains to video games, they were the biggest toy store there is. I guess I have to grow up, oh baby now that I did, I can longer be a ToysRUs Kid. :-( :(
Re: Toys R Us Closing all US Stores, Other Countries Likely Affected [UPDATE] (1946198)
Posted by Mr.MicroMaster on March 14th, 2018 @ 6:57pm CDT
In other news my childhood died today. So I gues we have to grow up.
Re: Toys R Us Closing all US Stores, Other Countries Likely Affected [UPDATE] (1946199)
Posted by DecepticonFinishline on March 14th, 2018 @ 6:58pm CDT
Quantum Surge wrote:I don't want to sound like I am brushing off a concern on the fate of a famous store, but at least there is a chance that stuff like any exclusives TRU sold (like Masterpieces and Thundercracker) can be sold in more commonly found stores. I don't think Target or Walmart would have issues with selling the upcoming MPM-5 and 6 Barricade and Ironhide or maybe bring out the Predaking gift set.

I think the more likely scenario is that the ones that already hit shelves will just be obscenely rare.

As I recall, though, MPM Ironhide was never officially slated to be a TRU exclusive. Like... To the point where people pointed out that the packaging didn't have the 'exclusive' stamp. Maybe Hasbro has been anticipating this. Or. I'm remembering this entirely wrong.

Re: Toys R Us Closing all US Stores, Other Countries Likely Affected [UPDATE] (1946200)
Posted by Burn on March 14th, 2018 @ 7:11pm CDT
DecepticonFinishline wrote:I'm just worried, now, that Amazon exclusives will take its place. I f***ing hate Amazon.

I hate exclusives in general, regardless of what store/website they're sold at/on
Re: Toys R Us Closing all US Stores, Other Countries Likely Affected [UPDATE] (1946201)
Posted by Questworld12 on March 14th, 2018 @ 7:23pm CDT
For me it is a sad day. I was a Toys R Us kid. Reading the holiday catalog and circling what I would want. As you grow older, you start to realize their prices were higher than most. I started to head elsewhere but still never forget that feeling of heading to the store and being surrounded by toys. I can still remember standing in line for Nintendo Wii and talking to the manager. Hunting for MP-10 at every local TRU. Finally finding him and using a coupon to save some money.

I don't know what the future holds. Hate shopping online but that might be what I have to do. My local stores never change or restock their items. I wonder what this closing would do for other smaller toy lines? If GIJoes are not in the stores now...I don't think they will ever be.

Thanks for all the nostalgia and memories, Toys R Us.
Re: Toys R Us Closing all US Stores, Other Countries Likely Affected [UPDATE] (1946202)
Posted by Ebonyleopard on March 14th, 2018 @ 7:24pm CDT
Whelp, I guess I'll be getting home from work a whole lot sooner now.
Re: Toys R Us Closing all US Stores, Other Countries Likely Affected [UPDATE] (1946203)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on March 14th, 2018 @ 7:24pm CDT
Burn wrote:

But... But... that PREMIUM feel? :(

Seriously, Exclusives suck ass. Especially when they are overpriced and/or badly distributed. Not counting when the thing is an exclusive of a store that ISNT EVEN IN YOUR FREAKING COUNTRY! :BOOM:
Re: Toys R Us Closing all US Stores, Other Countries Likely Affected [UPDATE] (1946204)
Posted by william-james88 on March 14th, 2018 @ 7:25pm CDT
Masterpiece toys will probably just be sold through online vendors. This is currently what is happening with the only generation one style masterpiece toy coming out this year, prowl.
Re: Toys R Us Closing all US Stores, Other Countries Likely Affected [UPDATE] (1946209)
Posted by Black Bumblebee on March 14th, 2018 @ 7:57pm CDT
I think that the future just means that there will be less exclusives... and that's bad. Sometimes, a figure just won't sell a lot of toys, and a manufacturer might only make 4,000 of them. Toys R Us was a good place to sell those exclusives. Walmart doesn't want them--they make it VERY clear to retailers that they have limited space in their stores, and if their stuff doesn't sell fast, they don't want them.

If there's not a ready market to sell small runs of figures... the small run of figures just aren't made.

Thus, say bye bye to likes of figures like RID Cryotek or Animated Rodimus or US Masterpiece Optimus. If it can't make a profit from mass production, it's just not profitable to make.
Re: Toys R Us Closing all US Stores, Other Countries Likely Affected [UPDATE] (1946211)
Posted by Ig89ninja on March 14th, 2018 @ 8:27pm CDT
Well, time to wait for the clearance sales >:oP
Re: Toys R Us Closing all US Stores, Other Countries Likely Affected [UPDATE] (1946213)
Posted by griftimus prime on March 14th, 2018 @ 8:39pm CDT
gone the way of childrens palace and kb. good luck to those losing jobs.
Re: Toys R Us Closing all US Stores, Other Countries Likely Affected [UPDATE] (1946216)
Posted by Rodimus Primal on March 14th, 2018 @ 8:51pm CDT
This is a sad day indeed. I was a Toys R Us kid too. I used to love going to the one in Times Square before it shut down, and now it is all of them. Damn you greedy corporate Leveraged Buy Outs that caused this mess. Maybe a new toy chain will take it's place.
Re: Toys R Us Closing all US Stores, Other Countries Likely Affected [UPDATE] (1946224)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on March 14th, 2018 @ 9:12pm CDT
First i find out my local comic shop is closing now i find out TRU is closing, pretty crappy day if you ask me. I didnt like how they over charged on transformers and other brands like that but they were the only place i could get neca stuff for regular price and they just started to carry import stuff like gundam universal unit. Corporate greed strikes again and the only ones screwed are us, the customers & employees.
Re: Toys R Us Closing all US Stores, Other Countries Likely Affected [UPDATE] (1946225)
Posted by The Lonely Cracker on March 14th, 2018 @ 9:16pm CDT
Well, damn. I don't know what to say. RIP TRU. You will be missed
Re: Toys R Us Closing all US Stores, Other Countries Likely Affected [UPDATE] (1946227)
Posted by Aimless Misfire on March 14th, 2018 @ 9:24pm CDT
I NEED that Thundercracker for a custom I'm planning. :(
Re: Toys R Us Closing all US Stores, Other Countries Likely Affected [UPDATE] (1946231)
Posted by shajaki on March 14th, 2018 @ 9:43pm CDT

Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars - MEGATRON Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Autobot Ratchet" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #213 - How to Say Expensive and Mean It
"How to Say Expensive and Mean It"
Posted: Sunday, December 9th, 2018

Buy "Transformers Bumblebee: A New Car for Charlie (Passport to Reading Level 2)" on EBAY
Buy "IN HAND NEW! Transformers G1 Minibot Swerve 2018 Walmart Reissue IN USA!" on EBAY
Buy "IN HAND NEW! Transformers G1 Minibot Tailgate 2018 Walmart Reissue IN USA!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Shadow Striker Ultra Series Wave 1 Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers - Cyberverse (Ultra Class) - Shadow Striker" on EBAY
Buy "2 NEW TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS POWERS OF PRIME FIGURES:TAILGATE & BATTLE FLASH" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Tomy TransFormers Device Label Autobot BLASTER/BROADBLAST USB HUB figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generation 2 Gearhead 1994 Go-Bots Vintage Toy Car" on EBAY