Transformers 1986 Movie Storyboard up for Auction

Sunday, March 6th, 2016 6:50am CST

Categories: Cartoon News, Collectables
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 31,112

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

"The Spacebridge" has an e-bay auction up for one the greatest Transformers Movie Memorabilia you could ever imagine: a full 1000 page set of the Storyboards used in making the movie. Here is a description:

This is an original production used set of storyboards for the 1986 Transformers Animated Movie. I have owned these for over 20 years, I obtained them from a former Sunbow staff member. This is the only known set of movie storyboards in existence that were actually used in the production of the movie. Other sets known to exist were reference sets, this one was actually used in the making of the film. I am only selling these as I have another signed set that belonged to one of the writers. The storyboards are over 500 pages long, each page double sided. The storyboards were created to plan out the design of every shot in the film. This set is marked FINAL Jan 29th 1986. It includes the entire film and some deleted scenes. (It does not include ALL the known deleted scenes as some had already been cut by this point) The set does have some handwritten notes, mainly in red ink on some pages that were made during production.


Click on any of the images to be taken to the listing where you can either watch to see for how much it goes for or even bid on this yourself!

Transformers News: Transformers 1986 Movie Storyboard up for Auction

Transformers News: Transformers 1986 Movie Storyboard up for Auction

Transformers News: Transformers 1986 Movie Storyboard up for Auction

Transformers News: Transformers 1986 Movie Storyboard up for Auction

Transformers News: Transformers 1986 Movie Storyboard up for Auction

Credit(s): spacebridge on e-bay


This article was last modified on Sunday, March 6th, 2016 6:52am CST

News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Re: Transformers 1986 Movie Storyboard up for Auction (1771681)
Posted by ScottyP on March 6th, 2016 @ 10:00am CST
Wow. I mean, holy crap! Somebody throw me a winning Powerball ticket for the next drawing so I can bid on that thing.

Knowing that this exists gives me hope that one day we might see this material reproduced in full. Somebody lend Sorenson some money to buy this with so he can make an awesome book out of it :D
Re: Transformers 1986 Movie Storyboard up for Auction (1771690)
Posted by Mkall on March 6th, 2016 @ 11:12am CST
Man that's cool. I know the (I think) original script is produced in full online, and it would be really neat to see the full storyboard as unlikely it will be.
Re: Transformers 1986 Movie Storyboard up for Auction (1771696)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 6th, 2016 @ 11:27am CST
Oh wow, whoever gets their hands on this is a lucky person.
Re: Transformers 1986 Movie Storyboard up for Auction (1771709)
Posted by Alpha Dominus on March 6th, 2016 @ 12:39pm CST
What a great piece of Transformers history! I checked out the sellers other auctions and he's got some vintage G1 artwork as well as the original cartoon art bible up for auction.
Worth it just to gaze in awe. =P~
Re: Transformers 1986 Movie Storyboard up for Auction (1771751)
Posted by Mr_Autobot411 on March 6th, 2016 @ 9:48pm CST
oh wow, id trade half my collection for it. Thats a piece of serious history right there. :BOWDOWN:


:BOT: :CON:
Re: Transformers 1986 Movie Storyboard up for Auction (1771787)
Posted by Heckfire on March 7th, 2016 @ 1:46am CST
Think maybe we all can pool money and win it for this site or the TF Wiki like what happened with that one old Hasbro catalog a few years ago?
Re: Transformers 1986 Movie Storyboard up for Auction (1771810)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 7th, 2016 @ 8:28am CST
As a bit of nudge nudge wink wink, fellow fans Jim Sorenson and Chris McFeely are currently "hatching a scheme", so to speak, related to this. ;)
Re: Transformers 1986 Movie Storyboard up for Auction (1771824)
Posted by william-james88 on March 7th, 2016 @ 9:40am CST
Wait a sec, I am not certain fo this set's uniqueness due to what the blurb says:

This is the only known set of movie storyboards in existence that were actually used in the production of the movie.
followed by...
I am only selling these as I have another signed set that belonged to one of the writers.


:???:

I personally would be far more interested in the original storyboard sketches, this is all just photocopies, right?
Re: Transformers 1986 Movie Storyboard up for Auction (1771834)
Posted by Va'al on March 7th, 2016 @ 10:16am CST
After the 1986 The Transformers movie animation storyboard, we have another Spacebridge eBay auction - courtesy of fellow Seibertronian Cyberpath - this time for the Animation bible for the original Generation One series, featuring model sheets for the main cast! More information to be found here and below, and happy hunting once again.

Transformers Cartoon Animation Bible for Cel. Model sheets. More Than Meets The Eye. G1
This is a complete 68 page animators bible for the first Transformers cartoon episode More Than Meets The Eye (Arrival From Cybertron in the UK) I obtained this from a former Marvel USA employee over 15 years ago. The pages are a strange size, larger than a normal letter size and longer, I’ve not seen paper this size anywhere else. It includes the animation design for every 1984 character plus humans, the Ark and Shockwave. It also includes designs for how each character should be shown to Transform. Some robot names are incorrect or switched as this was put together during the early stages of Transformers creation. There are also pages to show the height comparisons between robots and how robots mouths should move. It’s very rare to find a full intact set such as this. I’ve deliberately only shown parts of each page to preserve the exclusivity of the images. I am starting bidding at just 5 bucks a page! No reserve! If you need any more information just ask. Lots more pictures below, take a look!


Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Re: Transformers 1986 Movie Storyboard up for Auction (1771883)
Posted by jgilkinson on March 7th, 2016 @ 12:49pm CST
So is "Sharkwave" a misspelling of Shockwave? If so was he originally not supposed to speak?
Re: Transformers 1986 Movie Storyboard up for Auction (1771886)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 7th, 2016 @ 12:57pm CST
william-james88 wrote:Wait a sec, I am not certain fo this set's uniqueness due to what the blurb says:

This is the only known set of movie storyboards in existence that were actually used in the production of the movie.
followed by...
I am only selling these as I have another signed set that belonged to one of the writers.


:???:

I personally would be far more interested in the original storyboard sketches, this is all just photocopies, right?
As it turns out, someone else inquired about this very inquiry on The Allspark and got this response from The Spacebridge:
No you're good - I haven't said anywhere these are exclusive. My only statement on them is they are the only known set that was actually used in the production of the film. Other sets were reference sets given to staff. This set is a much earlier generation copy.
The signed copy he has is probably one of those staff-given reference sets.
Re: Transformers 1986 Movie Storyboard up for Auction (1771893)
Posted by william-james88 on March 7th, 2016 @ 1:37pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:As it turns out, someone else inquired about this very inquiry on The Allspark and got this response from The Spacebridge:
No you're good - I haven't said anywhere these are exclusive. My only statement on them is they are the only known set that was actually used in the production of the film. Other sets were reference sets given to staff. This set is a much earlier generation copy.
The signed copy he has is probably one of those staff-given reference sets.


I still dont like the baiting his words infer. It was like the case with that G2 Menasor which was also not unique.

And I still ask, this si all photocopies right? In movie collectables (I used to check out Heritage Auctions), a storyboard set should reffer to original art of the film. As in, you know, an actual storyboard.

Unless I am told otherwise, this is just photocopies of the storyboards made as a reference for the film staff to work off of. It isnt the storyboards themselves and thus not the grail it claims to be or that people might think it to be. It's an illustrated film script.

This below is an actualy storyboard set:

Image
Re: Transformers 1986 Movie Storyboard up for Auction (1771935)
Posted by Emerje on March 7th, 2016 @ 3:49pm CST
jgilkinson wrote:So is "Sharkwave" a misspelling of Shockwave? If so was he originally not supposed to speak?


I assume the misspelling comes from translating English to Japanese and back to English, perhaps someone mispronounced the Japanese character and didn't catch it?

I think what they mean by not speaking is that their mouths don't move when they speak, not that Shockwave doesn't speak at all.

Also found the use of "Lazerbeak" and "Deception Planes" interesting.

Emerje
Re: Transformers 1986 Movie Storyboard up for Auction (1772239)
Posted by !dafunkjazz! on March 9th, 2016 @ 9:09am CST
I love it how they labeled it 'used'. :lol: :lol: I guess it is....
Re: Transformers 1986 Movie Storyboard up for Auction (1772501)
Posted by sto_vo_kor_2000 on March 9th, 2016 @ 10:54pm CST
Emerje wrote:
jgilkinson wrote:So is "Sharkwave" a misspelling of Shockwave? If so was he originally not supposed to speak?


I assume the misspelling comes from translating English to Japanese and back to English, perhaps someone mispronounced the Japanese character and didn't catch it?

I think what they mean by not speaking is that their mouths don't move when they speak, not that Shockwave doesn't speak at all.

Also found the use of "Lazerbeak" and "Deception Planes" interesting.

Emerje

if i misunderstood your point forgive me, but G1 transformers are not "Japanese characters".
Re: Transformers 1986 Movie Storyboard up for Auction (1772502)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 9th, 2016 @ 11:02pm CST
sto_vo_kor_2000 wrote:
Emerje wrote:
jgilkinson wrote:So is "Sharkwave" a misspelling of Shockwave? If so was he originally not supposed to speak?


I assume the misspelling comes from translating English to Japanese and back to English, perhaps someone mispronounced the Japanese character and didn't catch it?

I think what they mean by not speaking is that their mouths don't move when they speak, not that Shockwave doesn't speak at all.

Also found the use of "Lazerbeak" and "Deception Planes" interesting.

Emerje

if i misunderstood your point forgive me, but G1 transformers are not "Japanese characters".
He meant the Katakana characters.

One cannot mispronounce a person, but one can mispronounce a person's written name.
Re: Transformers 1986 Movie Storyboard up for Auction (1772505)
Posted by sto_vo_kor_2000 on March 9th, 2016 @ 11:10pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:
sto_vo_kor_2000 wrote:
Emerje wrote:
jgilkinson wrote:So is "Sharkwave" a misspelling of Shockwave? If so was he originally not supposed to speak?


I assume the misspelling comes from translating English to Japanese and back to English, perhaps someone mispronounced the Japanese character and didn't catch it?

I think what they mean by not speaking is that their mouths don't move when they speak, not that Shockwave doesn't speak at all.

Also found the use of "Lazerbeak" and "Deception Planes" interesting.

Emerje

if i misunderstood your point forgive me, but G1 transformers are not "Japanese characters".
He meant the Katakana characters.

One cannot mispronounce a person, but one can mispronounce a person's written name.
forgive me again if im wrong
still feeling the effects from the meds given to have a small operation

Katakana characters?
we are talking g1 shockwave
Re: Transformers 1986 Movie Storyboard up for Auction (1772506)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 9th, 2016 @ 11:18pm CST
sto_vo_kor_2000 wrote:forgive me again if im wrong
still feeling the effects from the meds given to have a small operation
?
we are talking g1 shockwave
Katakana characters
As seen in this pic from above:

Image

It looks like someone tried to write "Shockwave" in Katakana and miswrote it as シャークウェーブ ("Shākuwēbu") instead of as ショックウェーブ ("Shokkuwēbu"). The former approximates as "Sharkwave" in English, while the latter is the correct way of approximate "Shockwave" in Katakana.
Re: Transformers 1986 Movie Storyboard up for Auction (1772515)
Posted by sto_vo_kor_2000 on March 10th, 2016 @ 12:00am CST
Sabrblade wrote:
sto_vo_kor_2000 wrote:forgive me again if im wrong
still feeling the effects from the meds given to have a small operation
?
we are talking g1 shockwave
Katakana characters
As seen in this pic from above:

Image

It looks like someone tried to write "Shockwave" in Katakana and miswrote it as シャークウェーブ ("Shākuwēbu") instead of as ショックウェーブ ("Shokkuwēbu"). The former approximates as "Sharkwave" in English, while the latter is the correct way of approximate "Shockwave" in Katakana.

thanks for the breakdown
Re: Transformers 1986 Movie Storyboard up for Auction (1772516)
Posted by sto_vo_kor_2000 on March 10th, 2016 @ 12:01am CST
Sabrblade wrote:
sto_vo_kor_2000 wrote:forgive me again if im wrong
still feeling the effects from the meds given to have a small operation
?
we are talking g1 shockwave
Katakana characters
As seen in this pic from above:

Image

It looks like someone tried to write "Shockwave" in Katakana and miswrote it as シャークウェーブ ("Shākuwēbu") instead of as ショックウェーブ ("Shokkuwēbu"). The former approximates as "Sharkwave" in English, while the latter is the correct way of approximate "Shockwave" in Katakana.

thanks for the breakdown

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Terrorcon Blot" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Twin Twist and Flameout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Snarl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Elita-1" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Sludge" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Rippersnapper" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 09 Voyager Class Movie 2 Thundercracker" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Ironhide Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class Chop Shop Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Autobot Perceptor and Convex" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Skywarp Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #270 - An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster
Twincast / Podcast #270:
"An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, February 14th, 2021

New Items on eBay

Buy "Transformers SOUNDWAVE Audio MP3 Player Spark Blue Version Takara Music Label" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers DOTM Dark of the Moon Backfire Left Rifle Spare Part Accessory 2011" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Highbrow XORT Headmaster  Walmart exclusive wave 2 heroic autobot!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers monxo Headmaster Weirdwolf Wave 2 evil decepticon sealed new!!!" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS G1 DECEPTICON HEADMASTER SKULLCRUNCHER MISB! US SELLER RARE!" on EBAY
Buy "3 Vtg  Transformers Instruction Booklet Downshift,gridlock,inferno" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G1 Headmasters Chromedome & Stylor" on EBAY
Buy "TransFormers DOTM Human Alliance Autobot BACKFIRE & Spike Witwicky action figure" on EBAY