Transformers 81? Andrew Wildman Shares His Thoughts

Transformers 81? Andrew Wildman Shares His Thoughts

Monday, April 4th, 2011 9:08am CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 21,961

It looks like Simon Furman isn't the only Transformer comic veteran who would be interested in continuing Marvel's G1 run. Artist Andrew Wildman shared his thoughts on his blog, Wildwords.

I came up with the gist of an idea and put it to Simon. He ran with it and things began to take shape. What was clear was that it fitted well into the continuity of our old Marvel run. IDW agreed that there is precedent for this with the fact that GI Joe recently picked up on Larry Hama‘s old Marvel story threads. So. An idea took shape and we almost had it until the current economic siutation put the breaks on it.

To read what else he had to say on the subject click here. He also provides a link to an online petition for those who want to show their support.

Credit(s): Andrew Wildman, Ron

This article was last modified on Monday, April 4th, 2011 9:12am CDT

Re: Transformers 81? Andrew Wildman Shares His Thoughts (1204561)
Posted by fenrir72 on April 4th, 2011 @ 10:07am CDT
Call it what you will but the preconceived mythos of G1 is and always will be the BEST.

A cosmic civil war, alien beings crashing for 40 thousand millennium on the earth, awakening in the 80's...........priceless.

I may be the minority here but IDW's current story thrust sucks big time! Heck, despite all its criticism, DW's G1 storyline was much more interesting and not confusing. So Mr. Furman, I wish you all god speed in this endeavor :APPLAUSE:
Re: Transformers 81? Andrew Wildman Shares His Thoughts (1204630)
Posted by Angelus on April 4th, 2011 @ 12:18pm CDT
Yes, please!
Continue G1 #81 or if not possible continuit the DW stories...
Everything will be better that what IDW is releasing at this time.

90% of the Transformers comic readers, except for the movie-verse comics, are the ones that are looking for some G1 nostalgia!
DW got the (most of) the characters right and an interesting story. IDW just cannot seem to get the characters right next to making up an intersting story. Or they are just hellbent on getting 'their' G1 version sold. I have news for you: It is not!
I enjoy the comics and I will keep buying them, don't worry... but it is just not 'it'.

However long the continuation will run, just let it end with Megatron and Ratchet crashing together. This way the Classics comic still fits... ;-)
Re: Transformers 81? Andrew Wildman Shares His Thoughts (1204644)
Posted by Rated X on April 4th, 2011 @ 1:06pm CDT
I have a few of these TF comics from my childhood. Im not really into comics that much. I Always hated that they couldnt keep the super hero crap out of the Transformers world. They had to add stupid characters like "The Robot Master" "Circut Breaker" and "The Mechanic" in the mix.
Re: Transformers 81? Andrew Wildman Shares His Thoughts (1204707)
Posted by Cyberstrike on April 4th, 2011 @ 3:17pm CDT
Angelus wrote:Yes, please!
Continue G1 #81 or if not possible continuit the DW stories...
Everything will be better that what IDW is releasing at this time.

I love the current IDW G1 comics a lot more than the Marvel series and all of Furman's IDW crappy run. Because Costa is actually taking the book in new and exciting directions. I don't to see IDW waste resources, time, money for a creator ego driven and glorified nostigla book that would suck not only itself but would make the Marvel series suck as well.
Re: Transformers 81? Andrew Wildman Shares His Thoughts (1204732)
Posted by NemesisMonkeySupreme on April 4th, 2011 @ 4:07pm CDT
I just wish they'd quit trying to add Movie styling to the character designs. Don's "old man" faces were driving me insane, yet he's one of my favorite G1-style artists and had damn good designs with Dreamwave. Of course, I also REALLY like Nick Roche's cartoony stylings, so go figure…
Re: Transformers 81? Andrew Wildman Shares His Thoughts (1204791)
Posted by RK_Striker_JK_5 on April 4th, 2011 @ 6:14pm CDT
Cyberstrike wrote:
Angelus wrote:Yes, please!
Continue G1 #81 or if not possible continuit the DW stories...
Everything will be better that what IDW is releasing at this time.

The pre=AHM was a new and exciting direction. Now... it's not. And rather dumb, too.
Re: Transformers 81? Andrew Wildman Shares His Thoughts (1204814)
Posted by Starscream GaGa on April 4th, 2011 @ 7:08pm CDT
Andrew Wildman as the artist? Oh dear...
Re: Transformers 81? Andrew Wildman Shares His Thoughts (1204825)
Posted by fenrir72 on April 4th, 2011 @ 7:24pm CDT

IDW just seem to be at a loss in steering G1.Heck, they can't even keep a standard look on the 'bots. But the Marvel arc, for all its fault to me was the golden age of TF story telling (okay the Furman years)as Budiansky admitted he got already burnt out on the last days of his scripts.

Though this also quite disappointing that you have to recycle previous successful concepts instead of trying something new.

Am I contradicting myself? A bit. In a sense like how DC and to some extent Marvel has to reboot their storyline back to pre-Crisis setting while Marvel has to resort to killing icons left and right to get people to notice (ehem Fantastic Four, Captain America to name a few) but I hope you get my point.

It looks like the actual air/atmosphere of the 80s really fostered creativity and not the rubbish field, bad lingo cr@p we all are experiencing today.
Re: Transformers 81? Andrew Wildman Shares His Thoughts (1204895)
Posted by moritron on April 4th, 2011 @ 8:51pm CDT
Re: Transformers 81? Andrew Wildman Shares His Thoughts (1204981)
Posted by Seibertron on April 5th, 2011 @ 2:40am CDT
moritron wrote:marvel's transformers was a mess when it ended, the idw continuity is getting bad as well. they should reboot the ongoing, and have it continue the dreamwave storyline. the dreamwave story was just getting good when they closed shop. idw always claimed they couldn't use marvel or dreamwave stuff, but if they can use marvel, they should be able to use dreamwave.

I've always gotten the impression that it's more to do with they don't want to than they can't. Can't say I blame them ... I'd probably want to leave my own mark as well instead of continuing someone else's stuff.
Re: Transformers 81? Andrew Wildman Shares His Thoughts (1204985)
Posted by Burn on April 5th, 2011 @ 3:01am CDT
Can you blame them? Who'd want to touch something that had been touched by Pat Lee.
Re: Transformers 81? Andrew Wildman Shares His Thoughts (1204986)
Posted by Seibertron on April 5th, 2011 @ 3:07am CDT
fenrir72 wrote:Quite surprising! In another forum where I also am the member, a lot of the controlling freaks 8-} errrrr staff members immediately shout you down when you voice disappointment with IDWs botched job on the G1 story arc.

I might disagree with members here about their opinions, but you guys are also more than welcome to disagree with me ... so long as everything stays civil. I would never shout someone down if I disagreed with them.

As for IDW, I feel guilty being this blunt ... but I've never been a fan of their approach. I buy the books every month, but I do it just to support having Transformers comics. The writing has been sub-par (though I feel that way about most comics I've flipped through over the past decade). The redesigns have been completely unnecessary. I get tired of seeing Transformers change bodies like X-Men change outfits. I read all of their books every month but have no idea what's going on. I'm just not into these stories. I read them just to read them ... with the slight hope that somehow all will be made right at some point. Where's "Crisis on Infinite Cybertrons" when you need it?

Something's wrong when I look forward more to reading through the old Marvel UK comics for the first time, including the recycled Marvel US books, than I do reading the IDW books (it's fun reading the books in the order in which the UK received them, even though I'm grew up on the Marvel US books). I've read straight through issue 90 or something through issue 201. I'm waiting to find a good deal on issue 202 so that I can continue forward with the next 30 or so books that I own.

The main Transformers comic book should tie-in with some form of a toyline. I've read that the Marvel G1 writers hated having to introduce new characters every issue, but as a consumer of Transformers products, I think that's how this brand is best served in comic book form. At a minimum, the characters in the comics should reflect their most recent look as a toy. IDW's Bumblebee should have his Hasbro Classics body. Optimus Prime should have his Classics body. Drift's toy is a perfect example of the comics and toys working together. Jazz should have his RTS body now. I'd like to see Hasbro and IDW work together on some level to figure out how to work this out so it benefits both of them.

I don't like that the Transformers comics have not directly promoted the toys pretty much since the end of the Marvel G1 comics. G2 didn't, and I was disappointed. Dreamwave didn't, but it gave us so much fan-wank that I didn't care (other than strongly disliking some of the poor artwork from them), and IDW doesn't promote the toys directly either which I think is a huge mistake. There's just something really awesome about holding a physical representation of a character that you follow in a comic book. Somehow that got lost with the Transformers. I wish everyone would stop treating the Transformers comic book like its not there to promote a toy.

The sole purpose of the comics should be to promote the toys, and it should be up to the very talented people behind the books to figure out how to weave the promotion of those toys into a coherent story that is entertaining and enjoyable.

On a sidenote, I keep thinking that it'd be awesome to have a mini-comic strip here on Seibertron.com that appeared monthly or weekly (depending on the format). I started Seibertron.com 11 years ago because I wanted to showcase my Transformers artwork. I never got around to that part of it but it's still something I'd like to accomplish with this site. If I ever did a comic now, I think I would try to do it the way I think these comics should be done ... to promote the toys. I think I'd even go so far as to style the artwork off the toys themselves, to the best of my ability. If a character hasn't received a toy yet under the Classics line, I wouldn't include them or if I had to include them they'd have their old bodies with the assumption that they'd get a future update. Fun plot twists could be ongoing stories like Grimlock dealing with his Dinobots being kept as Decepticon prisoners at an unknown location (which would eliminate the need to do Dinobots until Hasbro makes more hopefully). Trailbreaker, Huffer, and Gears could be deactivated patients of Ratchet. Octane and Astrotrain could be on a quest to find Blitzwing who was lost in a battle with the Autobots on another planet. Wreck-Gar could be stranded with some Earthbound Autobots trying to get back to Planet Junk to reunited with his fellow Junkions. Galvatron and Megatron could be two separate characters, with Galvatron plotting to gain control over the Decepticons ... or I could go for the classic idea of a future Galvatron coming to the present. A fun current story would be to do something with Rumble/Frenzy and Windcharger since they're current figures.

Just something I keep tossin' around in my head every time I pick up a Transformers comic I dislike.
Re: Transformers 81? Andrew Wildman Shares His Thoughts (1205018)
Posted by fenrir72 on April 5th, 2011 @ 5:25am CDT
@ seibertron.

on IDW: I agree with you 100% Why did they have to mess around with the series' foundation/mythos? And the appearance change, wtf?! AHM was a prime example, how do you explain 2000 Raptors suddenly devolving to F-15s? And the current attempts to meld in real world events with fiction, I mean, come on???????

I'm for treading into new grounds but this is like a rudderless jaunt.

DW

Full of fan wank, but they didn't mess with the main mythos, just embellished them good. If only Pat Lee wasn't such a slime ball and paid the talents their due, who knows what would have been accomplished. Brad Myck, Don F,Guido G,Furman,Ng and the rest, boy was their jaunt memorable.

In reality, not just for the Transformers, nearly every pop culture based icons are or should I say have reached their peak. Did that, done that already. Always trying to re-invent themselves by either getting nastier,edgier, turning a Caucasian character into a different skin color or going into the gay/lez theme. Why can't they stick to their roots and just write good stories and not recycle tired old themes.

This might bleed into the toy section but ever wondered why the majority of the G1 themed homages of characters keep getting resurrected?

They may have been called differently but there was a Jazz homaged fig in Galaxyforce, Wheeljack in form in Superlink or best yet, United/RTS/Generations. A lot of the younger fans of G1 know less than nothing of the 80's characters (well with the advent of DVD compilations and youtube, a lot have become familiar with them more or less) and yet they still sell like hotcakes. Why? Maybe the 80s crew (Hasbro/Sunbow/Takara/Marvel)just did things right. Nothing PC (Carbombya? :lol: ),belief suspension(mass shifting)a lot of plot holes, but what we saw back then was 80s plain old adulterated capitalism in selling glorified action figures.
Re: Transformers 81? Andrew Wildman Shares His Thoughts (1205319)
Posted by The Legend on April 5th, 2011 @ 5:25pm CDT
fenrir72 wrote:The saving grace was Last Stand of the Wreckers, though that imho was like a microcosm with their kill all the unknown characters theme.......reminded me of the World War II themed suicide squad movie by Telly Savalas and Ernest Borgnine (forgot it's title)

The Dirty Dozen.

I wonder if those knocking the late Marvel run have read the UK run or just the US run? The UK run had a hell of a lot of extra material that bridged what was released in the US so it made a lot more sense. Plus they were fantastic reads on their own.
I'd support Simon and Andy continuing what they started even as a webcomic. It would make me hapier if it was drawn and coloured in the same style as the Marvel run, I'm not a huge fan of modern comics trying to make every pannel look like a work of art at the expense of carrying stories and conveying action.
Re: Transformers 81? Andrew Wildman Shares His Thoughts (1205368)
Posted by Cyber Bishop on April 5th, 2011 @ 6:39pm CDT
I would be down for this..
However some things have to be answered..

Would the G2 comics some how eventually be re-incorporated into this continued series OR would the happenings in the G2 comics be completely washed away.

There are a LOT of cons and bots that are dead so getting a fees-able "cast" may be a little difficult unless new transformers were introduced (maybe some repaired?) or some kind of time travel was done to wipe out Unicron before he attacked Cybertron to keep all of the bots and cons alive (instead of killing them off just for the sake to kill them).
If I remember correctly there were still a lot of robots that were off line due to Starscream in issue 50..

We know that Megatron was rebuilt by Cobra, so would they just have him show back up and defeat Bludgeon (if they completely skip the G2 storyline)?
Galvatron was just thrown in icy water so he could come back and lead...
So many possibilities.

A lot of things happened from the end of G1 to G2 and that is a big mess to clear up..

Of course they could do a "1 year later" kind of thing that explains how so many robots on both sides have returned (being repaired).
Re: Transformers 81? Andrew Wildman Shares His Thoughts (1205608)
Posted by Angelus on April 6th, 2011 @ 10:24am CDT
Love to read a reply by IDW on this...
Re: Transformers 81? Andrew Wildman Shares His Thoughts (1205623)
Posted by Cyberstrike on April 6th, 2011 @ 11:07am CDT
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
Angelus wrote:Yes, please!
Continue G1 #81 or if not possible continuit the DW stories...
Everything will be better that what IDW is releasing at this time.

I love the current IDW G1 comics a lot more than the Marvel series and all of Furman's IDW crappy run. Because Costa is actually taking the book in new and exciting directions. I don't to see IDW waste resources, time, money for a creator ego driven and glorified nostalgia book that would suck not only itself but would make the Marvel series suck as well.

Nope. All of Furman's Pre-AHM was glorified mash-up of past incarnations that made zero sense to me like Nemesis Prime merging universes and the Autobots speaking in Star Trek-esque technobabble and everything else was IMHO pure 100% crap especially the kids, The Reapers, Ore-13, The Darkness, a dead Cybertron, The Dead Universe, The Dynobots, Sunstreaker as a headmaster, The Machination, Skywatch, and you get the idea.

The only 2 good things were Galvatron not being an insane jacked-up future version of Megatron and Sixshot.

After reading all the Furman IDW TPBs I found myself actually HATING The Transformers as a whole and comics in general as well. So I went into a two-year self-imposed exile from comics as well.

It wasn't until I read All Hail Megatron TPB vol. 1 when I got through with it I couldn't wait to see what happened next and it was thrilling being able to feel that sensation again and it's the same with ongoing. It was All Hail Megatron that made me fall in love with The Transformers and comics in general again. Because McCarty and Costa actually make me CARE about the characters and what is going to happen to them and that is something Furman has NEVER made me feel ever.

Yeah I've enjoyed Furman's work but it's in the past with Marvel US/UK he hasn't written a decent Transformers story since G2 #12. I don't remember anything out of WWI other than the Fallen being introduced in one of the series and if weren't for The Revenge of the Fallen I doubt I would even remember it. I got all the Marvel US comics and all but one of the Titan TPBs (If anyone out there got a copy of the Titan The Transformers: Earthforce TPB they don't want PM me and we'll talk) in easy reach so if I need a Furman fix I can get one not have to waste my money and my time on this cheap KO crappy work he did at DW and IDW.

IMHO Furman's day is over, he needs to leave the franchise for good. Now I love Peter David's writing but I don't want him being the only guy to write The Incredible Hulk until the day that he dies, because it denies others to show different takes on the characters which might even be better than his take and the same with Furman. IMHO if The Transformers are to have a future in comics then IMHO Furman needs to go and stay GONE, because he's at best now a nostalgia act and at worse he comes off as a crappy one-trick pony kind of writer.

So in closing: with Shane McCarthy and Mike Costa I get emotionally involved with the characters and actually want to read the book, with Furman I don't care for the characters and I don't want to read the book. And when I don't care for something, I don't buy it. It's that simple.
Re: Transformers 81? Andrew Wildman Shares His Thoughts (1205626)
Posted by The Legend on April 6th, 2011 @ 11:16am CDT
Cyberstrike wrote:And when I don't care for something, I don't buy it. It's that simple.

Which is the reason I stopped buying IDW's Ongoing earlier this year after over 20 years of buying every G1 related comic released.
Re: Transformers 81? Andrew Wildman Shares His Thoughts (1205628)
Posted by Cyberstrike on April 6th, 2011 @ 11:26am CDT
The Legend wrote:

Your loss, not mine.
Re: Transformers 81? Andrew Wildman Shares His Thoughts (1205630)
Posted by RK_Striker_JK_5 on April 6th, 2011 @ 11:33am CDT
Cyberstrike wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
Angelus wrote:Yes, please!
Continue G1 #81 or if not possible continuit the DW stories...
Everything will be better that what IDW is releasing at this time.

What, are you kidding me? It was fresh-it was a different take on the same old, same old. The Great War was epic. We got explanations for gender! I loved the kids! It was cool to see Earth not as the frontline of the Great War but a backwater until Ore-13. I'm glad Unicron and Primus weren't involved. The designs were updates but still G1.

I don't know what the problem with the 'Dynobots' were. Don't care either. Sunstreaker as a Headmaster was an interesting take on his character, too. Most vain of the Ark crew having to share a mind, heh.

AHM took that, trashed it and now we either have no explanation for what happened or moronic ones. I haven't bought any of those books and don't intend to. My gain, your loss.

Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Bumblebee Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #267 - Netflix Earthrise Reviewed
"Netflix Earthrise Reviewed"
Posted: Monday, December 28th, 2020

Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Caliburst & Slugslinger Deluxe Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Triggerhappy Deluxe Hasbro Pre-Owned" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Takara Tomy Cloud TFC-A03 Hot Rodimus" on EBAY
Buy "Takaratomy Transformers Legends LG30 Wheelie &Go Shooter Action Figure To..." on EBAY
Buy "Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-48 Brawn & Repugnus Robot Figure Toy" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return, SKY SHADOW, Leader Class, Generations" on EBAY