Thursday, March 31st, 2011 11:09pm CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, People News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 35,614

Comic book scribe Simon Furman has expressed an interest in picking up where Marvel's G1 Comic left off. The subject came up in a Q&A session that Furman has posted to his blog:

The GI Joe fans are thrilled that Hama has continued the original ARAH continuity and that has sparked some of us here to ask Andy if the same could be done for TF’s. Have you given any thought to continuing the original TF continuity from the Marvel run? And an even better question is, are you even interested in going down that road?

SF) I actually would like to pick up the baton from Marvel issue #80 and run with it again. There was a lot we never got to do, that I’d like to revisit or just to take the next big steps with all that we’d set up in the previous 20 or so issues. I’d certainly rather do G1 #81 than G2 #13, as, strangely, and for no good reason I can formulate into words, I think the time has passed for G2. It was very, well… 90s.

Posters over at the IDW Publishing Forums are trying to garner support. Would you be interested in seeing the series revisited? Discuss it here.

Credit(s): Simon Furman

This article was last modified on Friday, April 1st, 2011 3:48pm CDT

Re: Transformers 81? Furman Expresses Interest in Picking Up Where the Marvel Run Left Off (1203290)
Posted by El Duque on March 31st, 2011 @ 11:19pm CDT
I'm in the process of putting together a complete set of the Marvel run, so I'd be interested as well.
Re: Transformers 81? Furman Expresses Interest in Picking Up Where the Marvel Run Left Off (1203291)
Posted by zodconvoy on March 31st, 2011 @ 11:25pm CDT
BUT THAT WOULD DEVALUE THE 2007 "GAMES OF DECEPTION" BOTCON COMIC!!! I MUST START AN INTERNET PETITION AND EVERY TRUE FAN WILL RALLY TO MY SIDE!!!

Just kidding. All of you guys who've heard of the one about Generations Thundercracker know what I'm talking about...

Personally, I would love this!
Re: Transformers 81? Furman Expresses Interest in Picking Up Where the Marvel Run Left Off (1203296)
Posted by Diem on March 31st, 2011 @ 11:42pm CDT
I'm an army of one here but I would rather not see interesting characters being killed off left right and centre while Grimlock survives to show off how "badass" he is. I totally admire Furman's talent but I find his content abhorrent.
Re: Transformers 81? Furman Expresses Interest in Picking Up Where the Marvel Run Left Off (1203297)
Posted by RK_Striker_JK_5 on March 31st, 2011 @ 11:42pm CDT
Re: Transformers 81? Furman Expresses Interest in Picking Up Where the Marvel Run Left Off (1203304)
Posted by Diem on April 1st, 2011 @ 12:11am CDT
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Wait a sec... what was the last issue about? And no, don't say it was 22 pages or anything like that. :p

Grimlock screws up, Decepticons massacre Autobots, Optimus Prime comes back to life (again), Last Autobot resurrects Autobots (though presumably not Nebulan partners), Decepticons run away and live to fight another day, Cybertron deus ex machinas back into existence.
Re: Transformers 81? Furman Expresses Interest in Picking Up Where the Marvel Run Left Off (1203305)
Posted by flashmech on April 1st, 2011 @ 12:14am CDT
I would like to see them pick up where Marvel left off. I like the G.I. Joe ARAH series as it's being done now, and it would be interesting to see a Transformers series taking up from issue 80 of the Marvel series.
Re: Transformers 81? Furman Expresses Interest in Picking Up Where the Marvel Run Left Off (1203314)
Posted by Seibertron on April 1st, 2011 @ 12:30am CDT
I would be 100% for this IF they could stay true to the overall spirit of the old school Marvel comics. This would make me a very happy fan as long as characters we all know and love aren't killed off for the sake of killing them off.
Re: Transformers 81? Furman Expresses Interest in Picking Up Where the Marvel Run Left Off (1203317)
Posted by Supreme Convoy on April 1st, 2011 @ 12:33am CDT
I'd totally pick that up! I wouldn't mind if it's called #81 but if it picks up from G2 with Liege Maximo, that would be gravy. I know he did a prose story but it could be cool to have it as a sequential comic as well.
Re: Transformers 81? Furman Expresses Interest in Picking Up Where the Marvel Run Left Off (1203320)
Posted by Solrac333 on April 1st, 2011 @ 12:39am CDT
Now if they did this for the G1 cartoon. :grin: :grin: :grin: (with no CG or crappy big chinned designs)
Re: Transformers 81? Furman Expresses Interest in Picking Up Where the Marvel Run Left Off (1203331)
Posted by NemesisMonkeySupreme on April 1st, 2011 @ 1:30am CDT
It really can't be any worse than Larry Hama, honestly his G.I. Joe is like Days of Our Lives with guns & ninjas.

Maybe we could leverage a completion of War Within v3 as well…?
Re: Transformers 81? Furman Expresses Interest in Picking Up Where the Marvel Run Left Off (1203333)
Posted by Starscream GaGa on April 1st, 2011 @ 2:11am CDT
For frack's sake, let it die. It deserves to.
Re: Transformers 81? Furman Expresses Interest in Picking Up Where the Marvel Run Left Off (1203341)
Posted by ausbot on April 1st, 2011 @ 2:44am CDT
This must happen!
Re: Transformers 81? Furman Expresses Interest in Picking Up Where the Marvel Run Left Off (1203343)
Posted by JaffleMaker on April 1st, 2011 @ 2:58am CDT
This would be the only current TF comic i would buy if it were to occur. Marvel has and always will be my favourite adaption and there are far too many adaptions floating around that i have given up buying new comics. If this were to happen I would be more than happy picking up where everything left off.... a possible re-write of the last few rushed issues or a few issues to fill the gaps in the story wouldnt hurt either :)
Re: Transformers 81? Furman Expresses Interest in Picking Up Where the Marvel Run Left Off (1203384)
Posted by Sentinel Maximus on April 1st, 2011 @ 7:02am CDT
I would love to see the Marvel continuity again! :grin:

Hmmm,...would Furman do the same for the DreamWave continuity? Im guessing no :P
Thats a pipe dream
Re: Transformers 81? Furman Expresses Interest in Picking Up Where the Marvel Run Left Off (1203398)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on April 1st, 2011 @ 8:02am CDT
Oh. Hell. Yeah!

Furman's share of the G1 Marvel comic (issues 56-80) are my favorite Transformers series, cartoon or comic, and they have THE BEST character development, PERIOD. I really liked the G2 stuff as well, but the G1 stories were the greatest. I'm all for this.
Re: Transformers 81? Furman Expresses Interest in Picking Up Where the Marvel Run Left Off (1203422)
Posted by Bumblevivisector on April 1st, 2011 @ 9:10am CDT
Well, it'd be a better read than most of IDW's TF ongoing.

In an interview for the FunPub TF zine a few years back, Furman outlined what he'd have done with the Marvel storyline for the next couple years or so if it hadn't been canned, and it sounded awesome, even giving a plausible reason for Autobots becoming Action Masters, at least for a while. Furman could have even turned one of the comic's greatest weaknesses into a strength by utilizing the dozens of toy characters who'd been crammed in over the years but never had room to do anything. However, I have to agree with whoever said they were tired of classic characters being bumped off nonchalantly, as what he had in mind for Slag just sounded depressing.

Nonetheless, I'd actually love to see him do TFG2 #13 after doing G1 up to #100, or wherever he wanted to stop. That book already splintered off the Joe book in an irreconcilable direction after its crossover to rebuild Megatron, and it's not clear where Earthforce fits in between the established G1 and G2 books anyway, so who cares if a G1 continuation would make the G2 book irreconcilable by the time he got around to it? I felt so abandoned when G2 ended that I'm still always doing kitbashes of Cybertronian-Army guys to flesh out that poor, neglected faction that never got a single toy.

And with so many CHUGUR toys based off IDW redesigns since Universe 2.0, a continued G2 could finally mean getting an honest to Primus toy of Jhiaxus! Do 'em both, Si! And Age of Wrath!
Re: Transformers 81? Furman Expresses Interest in Picking Up Where the Marvel Run Left Off (1203435)
Posted by Black Bumblebee on April 1st, 2011 @ 9:19am CDT
G2, for me, is finished as Furman wrote a novel called Alignment that completed the story. And, believe it or not, he was perfectly okay with killing off Grimlock in that. He probably got out everything he wanted to say in it, there and then.

But Marvel G1 would be something I would be interested in seeing continued, if only to revisit old friends in the way that I originally remembered them.
Re: Transformers 81? Furman Expresses Interest in Picking Up Where the Marvel Run Left Off (1203464)
Posted by Cyberstrike on April 1st, 2011 @ 10:11am CDT
HELL NO.
Or if that is too harsh to the crybabies out there how about this:
Been there. Done that.

I don't want another see creator vanity project like Marvel's X-Men Forever, X-Factor Forever, New Mutants Forever and IDW's continuation of G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero.

As far I'm concerned Simon Furman has already proved that he can't write the G1 Transformers worth a damn anymore, and I'm not interested in going backwards, I want to see the franchise go forward with the current ongoing series which is what and where the series needs to go.
Re: Transformers 81? Furman Expresses Interest in Picking Up Where the Marvel Run Left Off (1203481)
Posted by RK_Striker_JK_5 on April 1st, 2011 @ 10:40am CDT
Diem wrote:

Thanks for the answer. :) I could be down with seeing a continuation of this. It'd beat what IDW's turned into, that's for sure!
Re: Transformers 81? Furman Expresses Interest in Picking Up Where the Marvel Run Left Off (1203537)
Posted by Seibertron on April 1st, 2011 @ 1:30pm CDT
Bumblevivisector wrote:Regardless, I'd love to see it done as a matter of principle: TF was on the verge of proving that a toy-comic could have a strong enough story to outlive its toyline, something that I believe had happened just once before with 'ROM: Spaceknight' (or does 'Micronauts' count too?). It seemed like DeFalco and Co. just axed it because a book about toy robots was too kiddie-ish for what they wanted Marvel to be in the coming decade (its sales weren't THAT bad, right?), which I could almost accept if they hadn't green-lit crap like 'NFL Superpro' as being perfectly acceptable at the same time. Indeed, the logic of '90s pop culture just plain sucked.

Actually, at the time, Marvel's Transformers was near at the bottom of their list. From what I understand, it was doing around 80,000 to 100,000 books per month (which is very impressive by today's numbers). Hell, if someone told me it was doing 25,000 I'd still be really impressed. However, that was during the heyday of the comic book industry when the top books were selling millions of copies (think Jim Lee's X-Men, Todd McFarlane's Spider-Man, Spawn #1, etc). Transformers was small peanuts back then, but the big dogs now only wish they could maintain the numbers that Transformers was canceled at back then.

Supply and demand is why the last issues of the Marvel Transformers comic book (both US and UK) are worth far more than your average mainstream comic book from around that time.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Nightbeat" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
"No Thanks Given"
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Racing Trailer Set- Blurr, Boulder, Chase" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Dark of the Moon Commander Class Megatron Figure Sealed AA173" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS SIEGE WAR FOR CYBERTRON WFC-S32 BLACKJACK & HYPERDRIVE" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Powertrain & Highjump Siege War for Cybertron Micromaster" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Dark of the Moon Commander Class Optimus Prime Figure Sealed Z943" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers WFC-S44 Siege Battlemasters Singe War for Cybertron Target" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Legends LG37 Ravage & Bullhorn Takara Tomy Japan" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Battle Core Optimus Prime Action Figure Incomplete" on EBAY