Transformers: Autocracy #11 Preview

Transformers: Autocracy #11 Preview

Tuesday, June 5th, 2012 5:54pm CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 23,408

Our friends at IDW Publishing have sent over the preview for Transformers: Autocracy #11. Download your copy tomorrow, enjoy the preview below.

Credit(s): IDW Publishing

Re: Transformers: Autocracy #11 Preview (1387237)
Posted by Stormrider on June 5th, 2012 @ 6:36pm CDT
Does this go past issue 12?
Re: Transformers: Autocracy #11 Preview (1387258)
Posted by Sodan-1 on June 5th, 2012 @ 7:54pm CDT
Woohoo! Skylynx! Long-time no see my selk-important friend.
Re: Transformers: Autocracy #11 Preview (1387346)
Posted by Prime Evil on June 6th, 2012 @ 7:34am CDT
I can't wait to get the TPB of this! IDW seems to be firing on all cylinders.
Re: Transformers: Autocracy #11 Preview (1387438)
Posted by El Duque on June 6th, 2012 @ 1:33pm CDT
The official Transformers facebook page gives us a look at the creative process behind the cover of IDW's Transformers: Autocracy #11 by artist Livio Ramondelli. Mirrored below for those without facebook access.

1) The Layout
With this cover, I knew I wanted to do an action shot. I’d done a variety of different covers for Autocracy ranging from character shots to more metaphoric covers (like 7 and 9). But I hadn't done a real action shot. And since this is the issue where the Autobots really rally against the Decepticons, I knew I wanted something with Optimus Prime and his soldiers leaping into danger. The layout here remains pretty darn close to the final cover, both in pose and in color choices.

2) The Lineart
This stage is really all about the more mechanical (no pun intended) work of tightening the layout into a workable cover. It can be tricky overlaying the Transformer’s naturally blocky limbs and bodies onto a quickly sketched pose as it can sometimes suck the life from it. But the hope here is to keep the same momentum from the layout and carry it into the final.

3) Shadows and Light
Here, I’ve blocked in the basic colors beneath the lineart and begun to add the basic shadows and light sources. I knew I wanted the Autobots to be leaping toward incoming fire, and so I’m having light begin to shine along their faces, chest, and anything else angled to the lower right of the composition.

4) Textures, Lasers, and Fire
This is essentially like the “Special Effects” stage of the cover, where I’ve now put in all the laser blasts. I thought it’d be visually cool to have the Autobots literally on fire as they’re jumping in formation. I’ve also added a background here, and used a motion blur effect which makes it seem like the characters are moving pretty quickly through space. I’ve also started to add the textures I always like to add when I render Transformers. The various nicks, dents and scuff-marks that hopefully make the ’bots look like they've been around a while.

5) Final Lighting
In this step, I’m really just adding the final light to the piece. This stage can really affect the mood of a cover, ranging from how ominous or bright you’d like something to look. The trick is always to balance out the colors so that you aren’t looking at an eyesore, and there’s always some covers that balance out better than others. I decided on making the overall cover pretty dark, so that the various laser fire really pops out, as well as adding a few strong bright highlights along the ’bots.
Re: Transformers: Autocracy #11 Preview (1387522)
Posted by Intrepidis Prime on June 6th, 2012 @ 6:02pm CDT
This run is the first set of books I have bought on my iPad. Still don't think I am ready to go digital yet though.
Re: Transformers: Autocracy #11 Preview (1387536)
Posted by Stormrider on June 6th, 2012 @ 7:01pm CDT
Neat cover. I recognized Optimus Prime right away. Bumblebee not so much - I only realized it was a robot after I saw the line art. And the placement and color of the third Transformers by Optimus Prime's left arm really threw me. I thought that robot was part of Prime's armor.
Re: Transformers: Autocracy #11 Preview (1387582)
Posted by Oilspill on June 6th, 2012 @ 11:55pm CDT
I like the insight into the artistic process, and the action and movement in the shot itself - but am I the only one that thinks that looks like Cliffjumper coloured yellow, rather than Bumblebee?
Re: Transformers: Autocracy #11 Preview (1387968)
Posted by CelticDragon on June 8th, 2012 @ 9:01am CDT
I went to download this this morning and it's not listed on IDW's iPad app. Any idea why it's not appearing and if I should contact IDW or be patient?
Re: Transformers: Autocracy #11 Preview (1388051)
Posted by Jazz813 on June 8th, 2012 @ 2:40pm CDT
Yeah it sin't listed on the iphone app either...
Re: Transformers: Autocracy #11 Preview (1388249)
Posted by CelticDragon on June 9th, 2012 @ 10:53am CDT
I e-mailed IDW and here's the response:

"We had Apple approval delays in the IDW and Transformers apps. It should be live soon. Otherwise, you can purchase it now at read.idwpublishing.com, and then when it's live it the app it will show in your purchased books..

Best regards,
The IDW Digital Team

On Jun 9, 2012, at 6:33 AM, wrote:

Hi,

I am having trouble finding Transformers Autocracy 11 on the App Store. All the other issues come up fine but this one doesn't seem to exist. I'm looking forward to reading it, can you tell me when it will be available?

Thanks,"

Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #268 - Call Me 2020
"Call Me 2020"
Posted: Monday, January 18th, 2021

Buy "Hasbro Transformers Exclusive Platinum Edition Action Figure Silver Knight Prime" on EBAY
Buy "Bumblebee Hex Bug Nano Micro Robotics Transformers 4 Age of Extinction HexBug" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Age of Extinction  OPTIMUS PRIME  FIRST EDITION Leader Class NIB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers 2014 Age of Extinction Deluxe Class Drift Flip & Change." on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Transformers: Rescue Bots Academy - Whirl The Flight-Bot! New!!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers:  Age of Extinction Voyager Class Galvatron" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Optimus Prime Electronic Hero Mashers Light Up Weapons Hasbro NEW" on EBAY
Buy "2013 Transformers Construct Bots AOE DinoBot Optimus Prime & Gnaw Dino Brand NEW" on EBAY