Transformers - Bumblebee #1 Six-Page Preview

Transformers - Bumblebee #1 Six-Page Preview

Monday, December 14th, 2009 4:08pm CST

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Blurrz   Views: 30,294

The yellow star of Transformers, Bumblebee, now has a comic series named after him. IDW kicks off Transformers - Bumblebee #1 on December 16th. Thanks to Previews and the watchful eye of Energon Pub member minimus-minor, we get a six page preview of the brand new series. You can check out the description, a cover and an excerpt below...

Re: TRANSFORMERS: BUMBLEBEE #1 6 page preview

Publisher: IDW Publishing
(W) Zander Cannon
(A) Chee & Trevor Hutchison

In this first-ever Bumblebee miniseries written by Zander Cannon (Top Ten), it's a shakeup in Autobot leadership! Bumblebee finds himself leading a group that believes him to be unprepared for the job. An opportunity to radically improve the Autobots reputation arises. Bumblebee accepts the challenge despite his reservations, and embarks on a clandestine mission for the human military to find and disable all remaining rogue robots.

Re: TRANSFORMERS: BUMBLEBEE #1 6 page preview

...while the rest can be seen at your own discretion here.

Keep it tuned to Seibertron.com for the fastest Transformers news on the net!

Credit(s): Previews, minimus-minor

This article was last modified on Monday, December 14th, 2009 4:51pm CST

Re: Transformers - Bumblebee #1 Six-Page Preview (1027906)
Posted by Mkall on December 14th, 2009 @ 4:33pm CST
Hey look, decent faces and traditional art.
Re: Transformers - Bumblebee #1 Six-Page Preview (1027907)
Posted by Blurrz on December 14th, 2009 @ 4:34pm CST
Mkall wrote:Hey look, decent faces and traditional art.

I can't believe it's IDW!
Re: Transformers - Bumblebee #1 Six-Page Preview (1027922)
Posted by Naked Magnus on December 14th, 2009 @ 5:08pm CST
Where can I buy this? I can't find it IDW's website to order.
Re: Transformers - Bumblebee #1 Six-Page Preview (1027923)
Posted by Seibertron on December 14th, 2009 @ 5:10pm CST
This art style has a lot of potential in my opinion. Most of the panels look beautiful, but there are a few inconsistencies. This is leaps and bounds beyond what Don Figueroa is doing in the ongoing book.

I also am very happy to see that Bumblebee has his traditional body style back. I was never a fan of the IDW body for him. I also like seeing Bumblebee with his optimistic and cheerful personality gracing the cover. Don's new art style totally throws this trait of his out the window.
Re: Transformers - Bumblebee #1 Six-Page Preview (1027926)
Posted by Seibertron on December 14th, 2009 @ 5:17pm CST

To be honest, I'm in love with this art style. For some reason, it reminds me of the "Man of Iron" two parter from the old school Marvel comics, but the art style looks nothing like it. Just looks serious without looking crazy ridiculous like Figueroa's style in Ongoing.

Heck, this artist can even draw people and not draw them like a Transformers artist drawing people if you know what I mean.

My only nitpicks with this are ...

1. Blue lighted side panels on Wheeljack please! Not orangish-red. He's an Autobot!

2. Something's not quite right with Bumblebee's face in the 1st panel on the 2nd page of this preview.

3. Something's not right with Bumblebee's face in the 5th panel on the 6th page of this preview.

I'd consider those to be small nitpicks that an Editor should've caught. Other than that, this looks great! I'm excited for this book!
Re: Transformers - Bumblebee #1 Six-Page Preview (1027927)
Posted by Hairball178 on December 14th, 2009 @ 5:23pm CST
I like the potential Decepticon antagonist in this (not gonna spoil it for others); it's fitting for Bumblebee, what with him used to being mocked & bullied.
Re: Transformers - Bumblebee #1 Six-Page Preview (1027933)
Posted by ultra_magus on December 14th, 2009 @ 5:31pm CST
I'm surprised to say this, but I miss Bee's new look! Guess it grew on me. I would have liked to have seen his CLASSICS look, perhaps...
Re: Transformers - Bumblebee #1 Six-Page Preview (1027968)
Posted by Savage on December 14th, 2009 @ 7:38pm CST
I'm digging this book. Characterization of Bumblebee = fantastic. Art is better than Don's work on Ongoing, though this isnt my favorite style. I prefer something with a bit more flair, if that makes any sense. Works great for this series though, reminds me of Man of Iron as well, Ryan, and also of the cover art from "Bumblebee's Last Stand"
Re: Transformers - Bumblebee #1 Six-Page Preview (1027977)
Posted by Darclipto on December 14th, 2009 @ 7:58pm CST
Hot Rod looks pissed. Guess he represents the current generation of teens, since he looks jealous of Bee being the center of attention.
Re: Transformers - Bumblebee #1 Six-Page Preview (1027981)
Posted by shadowsfm on December 14th, 2009 @ 8:11pm CST
i called it! i called it! i called it!
bumblebee is leader
:grin:
Re: Transformers - Bumblebee #1 Six-Page Preview (1027984)
Posted by Ultra Magnus on December 14th, 2009 @ 8:15pm CST
As the lone Don supporter in this thread, I will state that this art style is really cool. In comparison with Don's designs, this is very "retro"; reminds me of the Marvel "Big Looker" books that originally furthered my interest in Transformers. With that in mind, I'd say this "Retro" style makes for a sensible alternative to those out there that feel so "Deeply and Personally Betrayed"( :roll: ) by Don's infinitely more intricate and detailed designs. I am a lot more partial to actual working transformations than the classic cartoon look, so that is the only complaint I have about this art style overall.

Anyway, this book looks to be very cool and also looks to tell an equally interesting story. I think the art style is perfect for this feature on Bumblebee. And though I never really thought I'd ever see him actually become the Leader of the Autobots, I'm down with it. Let's see where this goes!
B-)
Re: Transformers - Bumblebee #1 Six-Page Preview (1028029)
Posted by NuclearConvoy on December 14th, 2009 @ 10:51pm CST
What I like most about this comic is that it shows, very clearly, that as far as IDW is concerned, Don's style on the main title is the way HE draws these characters. I think, from what I can see, that the DESIGNS are congruent with those Don is using, as far as overall structure and arrangement go, but the facial and fiddly detail aesthetics are more familiar.
Re: Transformers - Bumblebee #1 Six-Page Preview (1028038)
Posted by Down_Shift on December 15th, 2009 @ 12:23am CST
I'll be honest, I think it looks brutal.

I'll still buy it because I'm hoping the story is good, but I don't care for the art. Mind you it's better then some of the past comic art. I think my problem with it is that it looks too Wildman to me. I still can't forgive him for ruining Dark Ages.
Re: Transformers - Bumblebee #1 Six-Page Preview (1028052)
Posted by minimus-minor on December 15th, 2009 @ 1:38am CST
Seibertron wrote:Not sure who the artist is. Chee & Trevor Hutchison ... is one guy the inker and the other the penciler?

In response, here's the complete creative team: Written by Zander Cannon, Art by Chee, Colors by Moose Baumann, covers by Chee and Guido Guidi. Not sure of the letterer, looks like Neil Uyetake.
Re: Transformers - Bumblebee #1 Six-Page Preview (1028079)
Posted by Starscream6 on December 15th, 2009 @ 5:47am CST
ugh! ill buy the series for the story but im not a fan of the artwork, at all.

IMO, dons new work is light years ahead of this....and im not even completely sold on it yet!

this just looks sooooo amateur.
Re: Transformers - Bumblebee #1 Six-Page Preview (1028168)
Posted by Dead Metal on December 15th, 2009 @ 12:08pm CST
I've always hated Bumblebee's G1 toon body I much preferred the cool idw one EJ Sue designed.
Re: Transformers - Bumblebee #1 Six-Page Preview (1028200)
Posted by dragons on December 15th, 2009 @ 2:19pm CST
i like where the series is going buti dont like the faces its something i can get used in the animated series but for comics its doesnt macth up this time line anymore feels to me im reading the orginal 80s comics all over again with updated art, & new story to humanized faces to me robotic faces looked better they looked more robtic like this looks like gijoe who transfrom.

i like g1 comics but they need to do something differnt ill get this series but make it more to fit in the 2000 not 80's
Re: Transformers - Bumblebee #1 Six-Page Preview (1028238)
Posted by Hard Hacker on December 15th, 2009 @ 4:32pm CST
Urgh, Bumblebee. I don't know who I'm more sick of hearing about, him or Susan Boyle.
Re: Transformers - Bumblebee #1 Six-Page Preview (1028301)
Posted by Ravage Eject on December 15th, 2009 @ 6:54pm CST
Posted by Ultra Magnus on December 14th, 2009 @ 8:15pm CST

hey hey hey now I have been supporting Don for a while now...lol I love the new look and direction, I just got tired of arguing to those who don't like anything but classic G1 desgins. :) Different strokes for different folks.....this series look ok, but bumblebee is my least fave autobot, and bee as a leader, epic fail for me. The only incarnation of BB I really got into was TFA bumblebee...
Re: Transformers - Bumblebee #1 Six-Page Preview (1028354)
Posted by JazZeke on December 15th, 2009 @ 11:20pm CST
The artwork is just okay, I really have no complaints about the retro aesthetic of it. I just wish the editors cared enough to make sure artists draw characters with the same consistent body when two comics are set in the same time frame. Otherwise it's a HUGE continuity gaffe that exists only because of an artist's personal preference. Say what you will about preference, I just want consistency. And that's my biggest beef with IDW right now.

Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Brawn" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Class Thundercracker Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Nucleon and Galvatron" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #268 - Call Me 2020
"Call Me 2020"
Posted: Monday, January 18th, 2021

Buy "SDCC 2017 Exclusive The Last Knight Optimus Prime AND Transformers AOE Grimlock" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Exclusive Platinum Edition Action Figure Silver Knight Prime" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Age of Extinction  OPTIMUS PRIME  FIRST EDITION Leader Class NIB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers 2014 Age of Extinction Deluxe Class Drift Flip & Change." on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Transformers: Rescue Bots Academy - Whirl The Flight-Bot! New!!" on EBAY
Buy "Kids Logic MN08 Mecha Nation Transformers Decepticon Devastator LED Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers:  Age of Extinction Voyager Class Galvatron" on EBAY