Transformers Combiner Wars Concept Art of Victorion by Marcelo Matere

Transformers News: Transformers Combiner Wars Concept Art of Victorion by Marcelo Matere

Thursday, December 14th, 2017 6:36PM CST

Category: Toy News
Posted by: WreckerJack   Views: 7,431

Marcelo Matere has done a lot of great artwork for the Transformers Combiner Wars series. Just last month we got to see a piece he did of Bruticus. Today we have to share with you a look at the line art of Victorion. This image was colored and featured on the box art and mini-poster included with the Victorion set.

The image mirrored below depicts Victorion in her combined form and the vehicles that make up her combiner team. Pyra Magna, Dust up, Jumpstream, Stormclash and Skyburst are all in vehicular mode. (We wonder where Rust Dust drove off to.) Here is what the artist had said about some of the design process that went into this piece -

Victorion - Combiner Wars Package art Pencils. 2015 - Full Poster.I had to draw all elements separately, them the designers could arrange them to the Horizontal Package and the Vertical Poster!

Credit(s): twitter
Re: Transformers Combiner Wars Concept Art of Victorion by Marcelo Matere (1926724)
Posted by TrypticonCarne on December 14th, 2017 @ 6:43pm CST
explains why rustdust looks like a last minute addition
Re: Transformers Combiner Wars Concept Art of Victorion by Marcelo Matere (1926768)
Posted by WreckerJack on December 14th, 2017 @ 10:56pm CST
GrandGalvatronG1 wrote:explains why rustdust looks like a last minute addition

I also noticed that Victorion in the line art does not have Rust Dust on her chest, but on the finished poster she has an armor plate that kinda looks like her. Either way I am really glad they included her, she is a really fun transformer and really finishes off how Victorion looks in robot mode.

I think my love of small transformers is because of Rust Dust. I never bought any on my own before I got the Victorion set. I had assumed that bigger bots meant better articulation and stuck with deluxe/warrior on up. Now I am the proud owner of several other really fun small transformers.
Re: Transformers Combiner Wars Concept Art of Victorion by Marcelo Matere (1927158)
Posted by Va'al on December 18th, 2017 @ 3:49am CST
As a continuation of a previous post showing off the packaging art for Transformers Combiner Wars figures, we have a couple more from Ken Christiansen - who already shared Voyagers Optimus Prime and Silverbolt here - featuring two more Aerialbots: Sky Dive and newcomer to the team, but not to our hearts, Alpha Bravo!

This is the official pencil art that was used for the packaging, meaning that there are several more layers to the image applied by the studio that creates the final artwork - but it's always fascinating to get a look at the process involved in the creation of any type of artwork for the franchise, nonetheless. Take a look at the two deluxes from the very first wave of Combiner Wars below.

Re: Transformers Combiner Wars Concept Art of Victorion by Marcelo Matere (1927165)
Posted by Randomhero on December 18th, 2017 @ 8:05am CST
Oh Alpha Bravo...he certainly sits in the shelf with everyone else. Luckily with Elita and Inferno coming out he’ll finally become part of a Combiner team. Rook too.
Re: Transformers Combiner Wars Concept Art of Victorion by Marcelo Matere (1927176)
Posted by gothsaurus on December 18th, 2017 @ 9:30am CST
Agreed. I think Alpha Bravo (and Rook, etc.) got a bad rap when they got subbed for characters we loved and expected. In hindsight — after we've gotten those missing characters — I LOVE that Hasbro managed to squeeze in some new blood. We haven't gotten a lot of new characters in past years.

And now that we have finally found homes for those limbs — and some combiner names and stories from Hasbro, Botcon and TFCC — I'm a lot more excited to have those guys attached to Modulus, Galvatronus, or Wreckage.
Re: Transformers Combiner Wars Concept Art of Victorion by Marcelo Matere (1929270)
Posted by william-james88 on January 2nd, 2018 @ 2:32pm CST
As a continuation to our previous posts showing the original line art for the packaging of Transformers Combiner Wars figures, we now have images of the entire Stunticon team from Ken Christiansen, a friend to the site. Below you will see Motormaster, Breakdown, Offroad, Dead End and Dragstrip.

This is the official pencil art that was used for the packaging, meaning that there are several more layers to the image applied by the studio that creates the final artwork, which Ken also added after each of the pencil drawings. It is really cool to see that Ken used only elements found within the toys and while the packaging artwork cropped a lot of the images, we can now see his full pencils.

Re: Transformers Combiner Wars Concept Art of Victorion by Marcelo Matere (1929274)
Posted by gothsaurus on January 2nd, 2018 @ 2:38pm CST
Re: Transformers Combiner Wars Concept Art of Victorion by Marcelo Matere (1929276)
Posted by o.supreme on January 2nd, 2018 @ 2:42pm CST
Nice Artwork. Oh and I enjoy the extra bots as I've stated many times. Alpha Bravo, Rook, & Smokescreen (or the Hasbro exclusives as I refer to them since they were not released by TT), make up my Optimus Maximus along with Power Core Optimus and SG Starscream.
Re: Transformers Combiner Wars Concept Art of Victorion by Marcelo Matere (1929281)
Posted by gothsaurus on January 2nd, 2018 @ 2:51pm CST
Nice pairing up white SG Screamer with PC Optimus. Nice idea O.Supreme.

I'd love to see a thread devoted to everyone's fan gestalt. Curious to see how people have paired them up... and how the colors and characters match together. Could have some ground rules that a name and short bio have to be provided with photos (?)
Re: Transformers Combiner Wars Concept Art of Victorion by Marcelo Matere (1929283)
Posted by o.supreme on January 2nd, 2018 @ 3:00pm CST
Thank you. ;)^ I wish I could say I was being creative, but it was just fortunate that 4 of the 5 leftover components had a dominant white color. If I wanted I could swap out Smokescreen for UW Ratchet on him, then the White would be perfectly united, but I like keeping my UW teams as released.

My Decepticon combiner unfortunately is not so palatable to the eyes but... Grand Scourge has CW Blastoff and Vortex as his arms, and for the legs -Off Road & BC 2016 Terrorsaur.
Re: Transformers Combiner Wars Concept Art of Victorion by Marcelo Matere (1929288)
Posted by gothsaurus on January 2nd, 2018 @ 3:15pm CST
Sounds like we're in the same boat. Been wondering where to put ole Terrasaur myself.

Maybe with the upcoming odd-man-out bots like Jazz, Darkwing, Dreadwind, Wreck Gar and (mystery color) Blast Off... maybe we will have some more options for our fan combiners. Of course with Inferno, we have another puzzle altogether. (ha)

Still planning my own customs to finish out Magnaboss. The sticker set was a nice idea, but didn't quite scratch the proverbial itch.

That all reminds me, still waiting on that G2 Protectobot set, Hasbro! ;-)
Re: Transformers Combiner Wars Concept Art of Victorion by Marcelo Matere (1929363)
Posted by Rainmaker on January 3rd, 2018 @ 5:24am CST
This art looks amazing. Too bad all of Titans Returns artwork looks the same besides the Legends.

:MAXIMAL:
Re: Transformers Combiner Wars Concept Art of Victorion by Marcelo Matere (1929393)
Posted by Deathsanras on January 3rd, 2018 @ 9:31am CST
See? It is possible to do non-Dreamwave-hand-grabby-reachy character art.
By simply doing anything else.
Re: Transformers Combiner Wars Concept Art of Victorion by Marcelo Matere (1929578)
Posted by Ultra Markus on January 3rd, 2018 @ 7:25pm CST
gothsaurus wrote:I'd really love to see a book put together of all this art. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

like the genesis art of transformers book that came out years ago which we were supposed to get a volume 2
but never happened :(<!-- ia0 -->51GUKVta2yL._SX394_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg<!-- ia0 -->
maybe somebody will make another book with more current stuff ;)^
Re: Transformers Combiner Wars Concept Art of Victorion by Marcelo Matere (1929694)
Posted by o.supreme on January 4th, 2018 @ 9:17am CST
The Genesis book is amazing. I'm so glad I have it ;)^ . If a *said* book would include all the art used on the UW Box Sets (clean art on glassy pages), I'd love it. I always thought those would make amazing posters.
Re: Transformers Combiner Wars Concept Art of Victorion by Marcelo Matere (1929701)
Posted by gothsaurus on January 4th, 2018 @ 9:28am CST
seeing how tightly they cropped those paintings... like Motormaster being just a close up of his HEAD... I think a LOT of us would really enjoy seeing the full images. Hope someone is listening up there and will put together an amazing book.
Re: Transformers Combiner Wars Concept Art of Victorion by Marcelo Matere (1930463)
Posted by Tyrannacon on January 8th, 2018 @ 12:53pm CST
Have you been checking out Ken Christiansen's Facebook page for his art? You should be if you haven't because there's some truly nice pencil sketches as well finished pieces involving packaging art of some of the latest Transformers from Combiner Wars to Titans Return. Christiansen is adding more of his work for the Generations series of toys at a steady pace.

Be sure to check out more of it by clicking the pencil drawing of Combiner Wars Streetwise above. There's also a lot of other Transformers art on hand there too that are not packaging art that are genuinely awesome as well.
Re: Transformers Combiner Wars Concept Art of Victorion by Marcelo Matere (1930508)
Posted by TF-fan kev777 on January 8th, 2018 @ 5:17pm CST
Re: Transformers Combiner Wars Concept Art of Victorion by Marcelo Matere (1930514)
Posted by RodimusRex on January 8th, 2018 @ 6:27pm CST
Seibertron wrote:Marcelo has done thousands of amazing pieces of Transformers artwork over the past 15 years.

While I agree the hand reaching out or finger pointing pose is way over done, what is the alternative? The fist clenched pose that has been way overused in comics and action figure artwork for decades?

Reading a book and drinking a latte?

Sorry.

Cyber-latte?
Re: Transformers Combiner Wars Concept Art of Victorion by Marcelo Matere (1930524)
Posted by Emerje on January 8th, 2018 @ 8:20pm CST
TF-fan kev777 wrote:Anyone else notice he has a 5mm port for the HFG on each leg? Whoops! accidential symmetry.

That was the first thing I noticed. Just double checked and they didn't correct it when the line art was colored, the comic cover has both as well. Oops.

Emerje