Transformers Illustrator Hidetsugu Yoshioka Interview Part 1

Transformers Illustrator Hidetsugu Yoshioka Interview Part 1

Thursday, August 2nd, 2012 12:27pm CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, Toy News, People News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 46,821

e-Hobby has posted part one of three of their interview with long time Transformers illustrator Hidetsugu Yoshioka. The full interview can be read by clicking here. Part 2 will be posted on August 8th.

Hidetsugu Yoshioka Special Interview Vol. 1

In regard to your art for Transformers, your first experience with the brand was around the time of “Super God Masterforce,” wasn’t it? I heard that you also provided the box art for the Mega Pretenders.
Yoshioka: I did do the line art for the Mega Pretenders. As for Masterforce itself, I didn’t have a lot to do with it. I just drew Thunderwing and Crossblades for release overseas. I think I did several rough sketches of Ginrai for a catalog. I also remember redrawing part of the instructions for Lightfoot, or something. (Laughter)
I’m not sure whether it ended up being put into use. I seem to recall that it didn’t.

When the series shifted to “Victory,” did your work continue to focus on art for the foreign market?
Yoshioka: I did a little bit of work for Victory. The first thing I drew for it was the Pretender shells of Dinoforce. I also built the diorama for the photo on Star Saber’s first box. That was the one they stopped production on right away.

So you built actual, three-dimensional dioramas?
Yoshioka: I made a lot of dioramas for package photos. For Star Saber’s, we cut acryl masking tape and shined light on it from below.

Credit(s): e-Hobby

Re: Transformers Illustrator Hidetsugu Yoshioka Interview Part 1 (1406745)
Posted by gothsaurus on August 2nd, 2012 @ 12:46pm CDT
Anyone able to post this diorama pic? Guessing it's online somewhere handy if one knows where to look. >:oP
Re: Transformers Illustrator Hidetsugu Yoshioka Interview Part 1 (1406915)
Posted by cannonfodder4000 on August 3rd, 2012 @ 12:55am CDT
Hidetsugu Yoshioka wrote:As for Masterforce itself, I didn’t have a lot to do with it.
Hidetsugu Yoshioka wrote:I did a little bit of work for Victory.
Wait, so he wasn't the guy who did all the Masterforce and Victory box art? anyone know who did? both had the same art style for their boxart, so I always thought they were by him. :oops:
Some Yuusha boxart has the same style as well, so whoever he is, he must work directly for Takara? Image
Re: Transformers Illustrator Hidetsugu Yoshioka Interview Part 1 (1408297)
Posted by El Duque on August 8th, 2012 @ 1:23pm CDT
e-Hobby has posted part two of their interview with long time Transformers illustrator Hidetsugu Yoshioka. Click here read the full interview.

From Twitter: Are there any stories or scenes from the Marvel comics that you’re fond of?
Yoshioka: Rather than any specific scenes, I liked how they’d lump guys like Bludgeon, Octopunch, and Stranglehold together, and make you wonder what they could possibly have in common. (Laughter)

From Facebook: “Would you ever consider working on Transformers comics for the Western market, such as titles published by IDW? I know we’d love to see your work published on our shores!”
…As you can see from this question, you do have a lot of global fans. When we announced this interview, we got a lot of people in foreign countries saying “I really want to ask Yoshioka-sensei a question!” or “I’m dying to get one of his illustrations!”
Yoshioka: Oh, I’d be honored. I don’t know how we’d communicate, though. (Laughter)
Re: Transformers Illustrator Hidetsugu Yoshioka Interview Part 1 (1410626)
Posted by El Duque on August 17th, 2012 @ 9:20am CDT
e-Hobby has posted the third and final portion of their interview with long time Transformers illustrator Hidetsugu Yoshioka. The full interview can be read by clicking here.

Was there something behind the story of Megatron’s friend falling to the humans?

Yoshioka: Nothing in particular. Just an ally who’d been killed.

So, pretty much a “hi then die” character, as we often saw in the comics.

Yoshioka: Yeah, that’s about it. Even if we had made one of the preexisting Decepticons die there, I doubt anyone would have felt too sad about it…

Really? I feel like that could have been very sad. Imagine if Ravage had died, or something.

Yoshioka: To me, that’s just the sort of characters the Decepticons are. They’re a band of thugs and scoundrels. (Laughter) In that sense, they’re the more human of the factions.

In comparison, Optimus Prime is almost too perfect. He’s kind of superior to humans.

Yoshioka: I didn’t really feel that way about him, personally. I view Optimus as a philanthropist. But people have different images of the character, and end up holding different opinions on him. When I’m drawing for fun, I never draw Optimus. It was the same way when I was doing the art for “Beast Wars” in TV Magazine. On my own, I’d only be drawing Dinobot. (Laughter)

Was there a reason you took a liking to Dinobot?

Yoshioka: He’s easy to draw. (Laughter) Easy to depict in poses and action scenes.
Re: Transformers Illustrator Hidetsugu Yoshioka Interview Part 1 (1410635)
Posted by gothsaurus on August 17th, 2012 @ 9:48am CDT
Someone WILL help us by translating this, I hope! :???:
Re: Transformers Illustrator Hidetsugu Yoshioka Interview Part 1 (1410638)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 17th, 2012 @ 9:57am CDT
gothsaurus wrote:Someone WILL help us by translating this, I hope! :???:
Thanks to Hydra - English version.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
"No Thanks Given"
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Netflix Megatron With Skelivore War for Cybertron New Sealed In Box" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Scourge/Sweeps Body Part, Right Side Shield" on EBAY
Buy "Armada of Cyclonus Scourge Sweep Set of 3 | Transformers Platinum Edition Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "2017 Transformers Collertors Club TFSS Series 5.0 Shattered Glass Starscream" on EBAY
Buy "G1 transformers Diamond Select bust Coronation Starscream 445/600 broken read" on EBAY
Buy "NEWinbox "Armada of Cyclonus" Hasbro Transformers 3pc Set Cyclonus+Sweep+Scourge" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers 2021 Buzzworthy Bumblebee Robot Action Figure - F1288" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Buzzworthy Bumblebee Studio Series #40BB Deluxe Decepticon Shatter" on EBAY