Transformers is All About Change - An Interview with Alex Milne

Transformers is All About Change - An Interview with Alex Milne

Tuesday, May 19th, 2015 6:10pm CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, People News, Interviews
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 22,584

Rachel Stevens over at Women Write About Comics is back at her interview tactics, and was able tohave a conversation with fan-favourite Canadian and style setter on the IDW Publishing Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye ongoing series - Alex Milne! The conversation spans across media, tools, technical questions, past work and more, and includes some insights into the MTMTE cast - check out some snippets below, and the full piece here!

Who’s your favorite character to draw right now?

That’s a good question. [Pause] A tie between Skids & Nautica. I always liked to draw Skids since I got to design him for issue 2.

I also have a lot of fun drawing Nautica—right now I’m working on issue 42, which has them interacting, so I’m having a lot of fun drawing my two favorites in the same panel.

On the flip side, who’s the most difficult one to work on?

Ah, that’s a good question. [A lengthy pause, some muttering] Whoever I haven’t drawn a lot of in a long time is usually the hardest one to work on. I don’t know, sometimes the hardest one can be Ultra Magnus, just to make sure the scale’s right.
Ah, that makes sense.

Other times it can be Getaway. The hardest one I’ve ever had to draw, that I never feel like I get right, is Red Alert, but he’s not on the ship in season two, so I don’t have to worry about drawing him right now.

[...]

So, um, is there anything else you’d like to talk about that we haven’t touched on already?

Hmmm … well, I’m really happy for the inclusion of more female Transformers. Since the preview for issue 41 is out showing more female Transformers, I can only be happy about that. Over the years I snuck in female Transformers in backgrounds. Megatron Origin, the Drift miniseries in the Circle of Light (a faction of Transformers). They make the world bigger; the more the merrier. Now it’s better that I don’t have to sneak them in, and I’m like, “Yes, they’re there!” I’ve been rooting for them for eight years now; we need more!

That makes me really happy to hear, coming from you. Did you design Firestar’s flame hair, as seen in the issue 41 preview?

Yes, it was me who came up with Firestar’s hair. When designing characters, I ask myself, “How can i make interesting character designs?” I look at silhouettes, heads. What’s a standard head, what’s different?

l looked at different things; when I was designing her I designed her altmode first. I put her head in the altmode’s back as the exhaust. I asked myself, “Can I get away with fire for hair?” But since it’s the exhaust for the car, it kinda works. I thought about how’d it work for portraying different emotions. If knocked out, she’d have little blue flame or it’d be snuffed out. If enraged, her hair expands and just goes nuts. It’s a great way to show emotion.

I had the altmode and head design, took it to James, and said, “James, this is the idea.” He went, “That’s really cool! I have fire for hair [to work with].” It’s really different, and it makes her stand out among other characters.

Along with the other female Transformers, I started thinking about different designs that haven’t been done before. I’ve got to post them online so other people can see her. There’s a big female Transformer I want to show off, one who doesn’t have a standard head at all, but one singular eye. It was really fun to do. It’s just really fun to try new things, to see whats out there.

Transformers is all about change; you don’t have to be stuck to the standard. The big thing with Firestar was keeping in elements of the original design. When IDW started out with Transformers, they’d take a character and do something completely different; it’s how I did her design.

Credit(s): Alex Milne, Rachel Stevens

Re: Transformers is All About Change - An Interview with Alex Milne (1687665)
Posted by steve2275 on May 19th, 2015 @ 7:17pm CDT
funny how he said change since thats what transformers do :lol:
Re: Transformers is All About Change - An Interview with Alex Milne (1687668)
Posted by Optimum Supreme on May 19th, 2015 @ 7:27pm CDT
steve2275 wrote:funny how he said change since thats what transformers do :lol:

No no no, they "convert".
Re: Transformers is All About Change - An Interview with Alex Milne (1687685)
Posted by MaverickPrime on May 19th, 2015 @ 8:30pm CDT
I love when the designs go beyond just looking cool and actually have so much thought into them, like it or not, Firestar's head design is unique.
Also, his views on the brand in general are those of someone that really cares about it, I'm glad he's part of the IDW team :)
Re: Transformers is All About Change - An Interview with Alex Milne (1687729)
Posted by Deadput on May 19th, 2015 @ 9:39pm CDT
Optimum Supreme wrote:
steve2275 wrote:funny how he said change since thats what transformers do :lol:

No no no, they "convert".

If your going to be specific they Transform.
Re: Transformers is All About Change - An Interview with Alex Milne (1687777)
Posted by synapse on May 20th, 2015 @ 1:12am CDT
MaverickPrime wrote:his views on the brand in general are those of someone that really cares about it, I'm glad he's part of the IDW team :)

This.
Re: Transformers is All About Change - An Interview with Alex Milne (1688920)
Posted by Va'al on May 22nd, 2015 @ 10:32am CDT
Comics and entertainment website Newsarama have received their usual exclusive from IDW Publishing, allowing us to post our own full preview of next week's Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #41! Check it out below, though beware of some spoilers, and head back here next week for the Seibertron.com review.

Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #41
James Roberts (w) • Alex Milne (a & c)
“Dear RODIMUS and crew… It’s my funeral tomorrow and I’d love it if you could all be there. Refreshments will be provided. Please R.S.V.P.—THUNDERCLASH”
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
The return of the greatest AUTOBOT hero of all time —THUNDERCLASH—which is great news!
But he’s dying—which is terrible news!
Variant Cover by Kotteri!

Re: Transformers is All About Change - An Interview with Alex Milne (1688927)
Posted by Madeus Prime on May 22nd, 2015 @ 10:52am CDT
Dammit Roberts! Why do you have to make me want a Nautica solo comic?!?!
Re: Transformers is All About Change - An Interview with Alex Milne (1688946)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on May 22nd, 2015 @ 11:40am CDT
Nautica: "what is that noose?"

Skids: "One thing's for sure; it can't be what I think it is."

Brainstorm: "That would be the sound of Getaway's brain module flummoxing."
Re: Transformers is All About Change - An Interview with Alex Milne (1688958)
Posted by TGS1985 on May 22nd, 2015 @ 12:06pm CDT
Nemesis Maximo wrote:Nautica: "what is that noose?"

Brainstorm: It's for Getaway. He just bet me double the Shanix he owes me that he could escape it while hanging before he runs out of breath!

Nautica: But we don't breath air, remember?

Brainstorm:...

;) :P
Re: Transformers is All About Change - An Interview with Alex Milne (1688961)
Posted by dragons on May 22nd, 2015 @ 12:18pm CDT
Re: Transformers is All About Change - An Interview with Alex Milne (1688966)
Posted by TGS1985 on May 22nd, 2015 @ 12:26pm CDT
dragons wrote:Yeah dont get it comedy in movies bad, comedy in comics good for transformers fanss

Why rely to witty dialog like that in MTMTE when you can just use good old pee/balls/humping humor? /sarcasm
Re: Transformers is All About Change - An Interview with Alex Milne (1688992)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on May 22nd, 2015 @ 1:00pm CDT
TGS1985 wrote:
Nemesis Maximo wrote:Nautica: "what is that noose?"

Nautica: But we don't breath air, remember?

Brainstorm:...

;) :P

Skids: " #-o "
Re: Transformers is All About Change - An Interview with Alex Milne (1689022)
Posted by Quint on May 22nd, 2015 @ 2:09pm CDT
"Imply", Nautica, not infer.

The speaker implies, the listener infers.

Pedantry always comes back to bite ya' >:oP
Re: Transformers is All About Change - An Interview with Alex Milne (1689046)
Posted by Shuttershock on May 22nd, 2015 @ 3:09pm CDT
Re: Transformers is All About Change - An Interview with Alex Milne (1689064)
Posted by datguy86 on May 22nd, 2015 @ 3:40pm CDT
Shuttershock wrote:That's kind of interesting about Ravage. Really, he and his kind feel like some of the last ambiguous mysteries of IDW Cybertron. Like, what function do they fall into? Are they forged that way or constructed cold? Are they remnants of Onyx Prime's people, and how did they avoid the implied purge during Nova's reign?

If Ravage is one of Onyx Prime's people, I would imagine survival was due to hundreds of nanoscopic attention deflectors. :grin:
Re: Transformers is All About Change - An Interview with Alex Milne (1689072)
Posted by Shuttershock on May 22nd, 2015 @ 3:51pm CDT
datguy86 wrote:

Clever!

I guess that would explain Laserbeak and Buzzsaw as well.
Re: Transformers is All About Change - An Interview with Alex Milne (1689135)
Posted by Henry921 on May 22nd, 2015 @ 5:21pm CDT
Shuttershock wrote:
datguy86 wrote:

Clever!

I guess that would explain Laserbeak and Buzzsaw as well.

Impossible. Ravage was constructed cold.
Re: Transformers is All About Change - An Interview with Alex Milne (1689137)
Posted by Shuttershock on May 22nd, 2015 @ 5:23pm CDT
Henry921 wrote:
Shuttershock wrote:
datguy86 wrote:

Clever!

I guess that would explain Laserbeak and Buzzsaw as well.

Impossible. Ravage was constructed cold.

But then there's the question: Who would build a Cybertronian like that, and for what puropse? Espionage maybe, but seems bizarre for the era they existed in.
Re: Transformers is All About Change - An Interview with Alex Milne (1689140)
Posted by prjkt on May 22nd, 2015 @ 5:24pm CDT

Ravage was affected by Tyrest's kill switch though, so he's a post Nova Prime ascendancy CC, I think Onyx' tribe will come to play in Windblade's comic, according to the August solicitations.

It'll be interesting to find out why a Ravage was made in the form he is... Maybe some senator wanted a pet? Or a tracker for hunting?
Re: Transformers is All About Change - An Interview with Alex Milne (1689144)
Posted by Henry921 on May 22nd, 2015 @ 5:27pm CDT
Based on Soundwave's flashback chapters in the Dark Cybertron prelude, Ravage was discussing why he left his previous job about trying to find a scrap of energon in a particularly perilous dark corner. It's not explicit, but if I could guess, I'd say smaller animalistic bots were created to perform menial tasks or reach areas larger Cybertronian underclass laborers couldn't.

I think the "master of stealth" aspect came later. When in doubt, the answer is probably: "Decepticon engineering."

Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #286 - They Might Be Giants
"They Might Be Giants"
Posted: Friday, October 8th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Buzzworthy Bumblebee Studio Series 26 WWII World War 2" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS RISE OF THE DECEPTICONS # 24 OCT 2020 NEW COVER A" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Legends Class Autobot TAILGATE and GROUNDBUSTER" on EBAY
Buy "1985 SCRAPPER G1 TAKARA TRANSFORMERS CONSTRUCTICON (DEVASTATOR) HASBRO DECPTICON" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Optimus Prime Western Star 5700XE Jada" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Action figures - Brand new sealed" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Battle Masters Siege War CALIBURST Takara Tomy B" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Adventures Thunderhowl Figure 2021 MOC Hasbro" on EBAY