Transformers News: Transformers Live Action Film Series to be Rebooted and Transformers 6 Removed from Roadmap

Friday, February 16th, 2018 9:44AM CST

Category: Movie Related News
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 38,409

There was big news at the Investors update call held by Hasbro CEO Brian Goldner this morning. This call was in conjuction with Toy Fair, though the main news centered on digital entertainment and films rather than any actual toys (the early toy reveals were instead done yesterday).

The call could have bee listened to here and the big news was that Bumblebee would be the last film under the current Paramount team and that the Transformers Live Action films series would then be restarted by a new team.

A slide was shown with all Hasbro produced films slated to appear until 2021 with Bumblebee in the forefront and then GI Joe in 2020, Micronauts in 2020, Dungeons and Dragons in 2021 along with an unnamed Paramount/Hasbro film in 2021. Notice the total absence of he previously revealed Transformers VII movie.

Of course that goes hand in hand with the film series being rebooted, but that means that there is no planned Transformers live action film until at least 2022. Of course, this is all our interpretation looking at the evidence presented by Hasbro.

So, what do you fans think of all this? Are you glad or saddened to know the current Paramount team will ot be making any more live action Transformers film? Are you hoping for different designs in the reboot? Do you think this was caused by Transformers: The Last Knight underperforming? Let us know!

Credit(s): Hasbro Investors Call
Re: Transformers Live Action Film Series to be Rebooted and Transformers 6 Removed from Roadmap (1939347)
Posted by StJudeDad on February 16th, 2018 @ 9:55am CST
I'm glad to see the reboot happening. I'm not a filmmaker, so I can't speak on the difficulty of making movies, even big visual spectacles like the TF flicks, but it seemed like it had run its course in its most current incarnation. The stories were recycled since #1, and with very few differences, they were kind of all the same movie. I'm not saying they had some fun factor, and were largely enjoyable, but yeah, change is good. And isn't that the point of Transformers anyway? Change?
Re: Transformers Live Action Film Series to be Rebooted and Transformers 6 Removed from Roadmap (1939354)
Posted by o.supreme on February 16th, 2018 @ 10:13am CST
Well you can say one thing for them, they saw the writing on the wall, and made a wise choice. While most fans and critics agree that TLK was awful. It was still profitable. Hasbro/Paramount over the past 10 years made 5 films that, although may critically not be held in high regard, they made a combined 4.38 Billion - That is pretty amazing.

Also if for some odd reason the Bumblebee film turns out to be decent, you can bet Paramount will take that into consideration. All things considered however I think this is good. I'm not one of those *Yay bayformerz is dead!!!* fans, but the franchise definitely needs to go into a new direction. I'd say let it rest as much as a full decade, but the landscape of entertainment in general I believe is going to change so much in the near future. With new streaming services coming into existence, and possibly getting movies that were intended for the theater straight to your home (Cloverfield Paradox anyone??), who knows what the future holds.

What's odd though is I've never been a fan of unfinished material. As poorly received as Amazing Spider-Man 2 was, a part of me still wishes we had gotten a 3rd installment before going over to the MCU. But with TLK, I just don't even care. Maybe they can tie it up in a novel, or IDW can run a comic mini-series or, maybe nothing at all. 31 years later I'm still waiting on an animated follow up to The Rebirth, more so than a follow up to TLK ;) .

ON a side note, I had not watched the 2nd film (Revenge of the Fallen), in a while. If you remove all the scenes with Leo, Skids, and Mudflap -It's actually a really entertaining film, and arguably some of the best battle sequences of the entire franchise. The first film is still overall the best IMHO, but oddly enough, my opinion of the 2nd film is a bit higher now, maybe just because TLK is soooo sooo awful.
Re: Transformers Live Action Film Series to be Rebooted and Transformers 6 Removed from Roadmap (1939355)
Posted by Quantum Surge on February 16th, 2018 @ 10:15am CST
I'm very mixed on this: While I knew this was bound to happen, I was honestly hoping that we'd get to have some spinoffs that have lower budgets while helping the development of newer series grow. I may not be a fan of TLK, but I don't 100% blame it for underperforming (there were many competitors crushing it). I'm sure fans would worry if the MPMs and Studio Series are going to be affected, but my biggest concern is that the reboot would go for the G1 look instead of trying something new. I would honestly much rather see Optimus Prime be a fire truck again instead of being a flat nose cab. I would prefer to have Hot Shot be the new kid appeal character. I'd prefer to have a sub plot be where Blitzwing is more like Starscream and possess him while Starscream and Megs are more like long time allies (just to change the formula). All in all, I hope that this reboot brings in a brand new vision of the franchise instead of force feeding nostalgia over and over again.
Re: Transformers Live Action Film Series to be Rebooted and Transformers 6 Removed from Roadmap (1939356)
Posted by Lucky Logician on February 16th, 2018 @ 10:17am CST
Re: Transformers Live Action Film Series to be Rebooted and Transformers 6 Removed from Roadmap (1939357)
Posted by Mr.MicroMaster on February 16th, 2018 @ 10:20am CST
Intriguing. Sinisterly claps.
Re: Transformers Live Action Film Series to be Rebooted and Transformers 6 Removed from Roadmap (1939358)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on February 16th, 2018 @ 10:23am CST
Ugh, now I have nothing to look forward to amongst the masses of damn annoying Marvel/Star Wars films clogging up the cinemas.
Re: Transformers Live Action Film Series to be Rebooted and Transformers 6 Removed from Roadmap (1939363)
Posted by ScottyP on February 16th, 2018 @ 10:38am CST
Lucky Logician wrote:I'm going to say this has less to do with Hasbro disliking the Bayverse (which brought in tons of cash) and more with them trying to set up their version of the MCU. Watch them try and find some weird way of putting Transformers, GI Joe, Visionaries, etc all in the same Hasbro Cinematic Universe.
They were already planning on this so indeed, it's likely more of a "let's get there without continuity baggage" decision.
Re: Transformers Live Action Film Series to be Rebooted and Transformers 6 Removed from Roadmap (1939368)
Posted by steals_your_goats on February 16th, 2018 @ 10:55am CST
This franchise desperately needed a reboot. Hopefully they actually make some good movies this time.
Re: Transformers Live Action Film Series to be Rebooted and Transformers 6 Removed from Roadmap (1939371)
Posted by It Is Him on February 16th, 2018 @ 11:06am CST
Bittersweet
Re: Transformers Live Action Film Series to be Rebooted and Transformers 6 Removed from Roadmap (1939373)
Posted by shajaki on February 16th, 2018 @ 11:10am CST

But the main reason I'm mad, is that they set up a completely logical ending point for this universe which we will now never see a payoff for: UNICRON.

Re: Transformers Live Action Film Series to be Rebooted and Transformers 6 Removed from Roadmap (1939376)
Posted by ZeroWolf on February 16th, 2018 @ 11:17am CST
Can't say I'm surprised, but a new directors take will be interesting to see. Also with tf coming into an already established world it should be easier for them to adjust in the hasbroverse
Re: Transformers Live Action Film Series to be Rebooted and Transformers 6 Removed from Roadmap (1939379)
Posted by Rodimus Knight on February 16th, 2018 @ 11:21am CST
'm glad to see it Rebooted, especially if they might be trying to do a joint universe with the different properties Hasbro owns.
Re: Transformers Live Action Film Series to be Rebooted and Transformers 6 Removed from Roadmap (1939381)
Posted by JazZeke on February 16th, 2018 @ 11:33am CST
THANK YOU PRIMUS!
Re: Transformers Live Action Film Series to be Rebooted and Transformers 6 Removed from Roadmap (1939386)
Posted by Black Hat on February 16th, 2018 @ 11:49am CST
shajaki wrote:Honestly, I'm kinda pissed off. The Bayverse isn't good by any means, but it's enjoyable. And as someone already stated: PROFITABLE.

This, exactly this. TLK was pretty bad but that doesn't mean the whole storyline needs taking round the back and shooting. Unicron on the big screen would be incredible. I mean I'm sure the reboot will be good, but I'm still annoyed. I'm also worried about the possibility for awful, awful political virtue signalling that seems to be in vogue with "geeky" movies these days. I swear if we have one of the robots going on about "toxic masculinity" I'm going to scream.
Re: Transformers Live Action Film Series to be Rebooted and Transformers 6 Removed from Roadmap (1939387)
Posted by hausjam on February 16th, 2018 @ 11:49am CST
Re: Transformers Live Action Film Series to be Rebooted and Transformers 6 Removed from Roadmap (1939388)
Posted by Quantum Surge on February 16th, 2018 @ 11:50am CST
Carnivius_Prime wrote::( I'm genuinely sad at the thought of my fave TF universe coming to an end but it's had a good long run and I'll be buying many of the Studio figures. Thanks to it for producing pretty much the only blockbuster movie series I've enjoyed since I was a kid in the 80s and for bringing me back into a franchise I had long since fallen out of love with.

I agree with you, brother.
Re: Transformers Live Action Film Series to be Rebooted and Transformers 6 Removed from Roadmap (1939389)
Posted by EvasionModeBumblebee on February 16th, 2018 @ 11:51am CST
Well, I guess it was going to happen eventually. It's really sad though, the movies are what brought me into Transformers and are still my favorite part of the franchise. They really should stick it out till TF6 though, We need some kind of conclusion to the Unicron thing.

Still holding out hope that it'll be a soft reboot and future films will still be in the same universe, but at the very least I'll get to see movie Bumblebee one last time this December. :(
Re: Transformers Live Action Film Series to be Rebooted and Transformers 6 Removed from Roadmap (1939390)
Posted by Black Hat on February 16th, 2018 @ 11:52am CST
hausjam wrote:You guys can cry all you want about Bayverse. But a new team doesn't mean better {points to Star Wars}

Oh god, not even as a joke.

NOT EVEN AS A JOKE
Re: Transformers Live Action Film Series to be Rebooted and Transformers 6 Removed from Roadmap (1939393)
Posted by Glarryg on February 16th, 2018 @ 12:06pm CST

Yeah, but it wasn't really Unicron. It was "Unicron-as-Earth." You can't have him transform without destroying all life on Earth, and you can't have him roaming around the universe eating everything in his path if he's an actual planet that's been in orbit for billions of years. Those are two of the things that--to me, at least--make Unicron such a terrifying figure: the fact that he's out there already, doing his thing without being checked, and the fact that he can become a planet-sized barbarian-man at a moment's notice.

Glarryg
Re: Transformers Live Action Film Series to be Rebooted and Transformers 6 Removed from Roadmap (1939396)
Posted by LevelRage on February 16th, 2018 @ 12:13pm CST
Well, this just put a damper on my day. I actually enjoy the live action movies, and would've liked to see them continue on for at least another 10 years, but I guess money speaks, and underpreformming in the movie business leads to a reboot, kinda like getting shut down by EA whenever one of their games doesn't do well. At the least, I would've liked to see a resolution to TF5, as I know Bee movie won't do that, and also would've liked more TF movie figures to collect aside from the new Movie Studio series. Maybe if Bee does well enough they'll continue it, but kind of a long shot sadly. All in all, I enjoyed them, and will continue too.
Transformers products from AMAZON

Featured Products

Buy "Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumble Figure" on AMAZON
You save: 41%
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #200 - Requiem of the Twincast
"Requiem of the Twincast"
Posted: Sunday, May 20th, 2018