Transformers Masterpiece MP-17+ Prowl Revealed!

Transformers Masterpiece MP-17+ Prowl Revealed!

Friday, February 16th, 2018 12:39am CST

Category: Toy News
Posted by: Bounti76   Views: 15,362

Coming to us from Dengeki Hobby, we have news of a new Transformers Masterpiece release from Takara Tomy! Due to be released in late September exclusively via Takara Tomy Mall, and continuing on with animation accurate decos seen on Sideswipe (MP-12+) and Alert (MP-14+), we now present to you.....MP-17+, Masterpiece Prowl, in his animation accurate color scheme. As is immediately noticeable, his windows are now done up in a bright blue color to reflect how they appeared in the G1 cartoon. Additional deco changes include his rifle being cast (or possibly painted) in all white, instead of MP-17's toy accurate silver, and the removal of the "Highway Patrol" wording from his doors. This release includes his toy accurate missile launchers, which can be deployed in car mode, indicating that some slight remolding has taken place as well as changing his colors. What other changes from the original can you spot?

Transformers News: Transformers Masterpiece MP17+ Prowl Revealed!

So what do you think? Is this a must buy for you? Do you want to see more of this kind of redecos with previous MP releases? Let us know in the Energon Pub Forums!

Credit(s): Dengeki Hobby

Re: Transformers Masterpiece MP-17+ Prowl Revealed! (1939247)
Posted by Emerje on February 16th, 2018 @ 12:49am CST
Man, this Prowl looks really nice, I love the tinted windows and bright white. Really sucks that this one is an exclusive, but Sideswipe that you have to look closely at to notice the changes was sold at retail. I might get it, really depends on how September looks, but for now it's possible.

Emerje
Re: Transformers Masterpiece MP-17+ Prowl Revealed! (1939248)
Posted by DecepticonFinishline on February 16th, 2018 @ 1:02am CST
Re: Transformers Masterpiece MP-17+ Prowl Revealed! (1939252)
Posted by SpikeyTigertron on February 16th, 2018 @ 1:08am CST
I'll have to compare when I get home.... But something really pops about that robot mode. Is the bumper picked out in grey (as opposed to black) I think the bumper lights in red are new. I'm on the fence with all the blue window tinting through.

I also feel as much as the robot mode looks more alive... the vehicle mode is much more bland w/o the lettering. I'm so conflicted.
Re: Transformers Masterpiece MP-17+ Prowl Revealed! (1939253)
Posted by Bounti76 on February 16th, 2018 @ 1:09am CST
DecepticonFinishline wrote:Could the original MP Prowl not use his launchers in alt mode? The only MP Datsun I have at this point is SILVERstreak, and he definitely could...

Maybe they could? Prowl's original release didn't include launchers that I can remember. I haven't been able to play with the Datsun mold in a couple of years, since I moved and haven't ever unpacked them from their boxes.
Re: Transformers Masterpiece MP-17+ Prowl Revealed! (1939254)
Posted by SpikeyTigertron on February 16th, 2018 @ 1:12am CST
If Silverstreak+ and Smokescreen+ (somehow?!) come out I quit lol.

The original Lambo and Datsun mold I got way too many of to be realistically investing in the + line. Even if I did like the change to Red Alert.
Re: Transformers Masterpiece MP-17+ Prowl Revealed! (1939260)
Posted by megatronus on February 16th, 2018 @ 1:28am CST
++++++++++++++++
Re: Transformers Masterpiece MP-17+ Prowl Revealed! (1939270)
Posted by xMXUx on February 16th, 2018 @ 2:59am CST
Shame that it's an exclusive, cause I still only own the KO Prowl which is decked out in Reprolabels for toy accuracy. So this new version is very welcome. But most likely too pricey for me due to TT Mal exclusive... We'll see in September I guess
Re: Transformers Masterpiece MP-17+ Prowl Revealed! (1939291)
Posted by Sigma Magnus on February 16th, 2018 @ 5:26am CST
Dang, that looks nice! I'll be sticking with my Hasbro Prowl though.
Re: Transformers Masterpiece MP-17+ Prowl Revealed! (1939298)
Posted by Evil Eye on February 16th, 2018 @ 6:17am CST
Eh. I'll track down the original. Not a fan of these de-detailed redecoes.
Re: Transformers Masterpiece MP-17+ Prowl Revealed! (1939325)
Posted by Quantum Surge on February 16th, 2018 @ 7:54am CST
I don't get why they have to remove details to make them "cartoon accurate". I tend to prefer when the MP figures have more paint apps so as not to make them look overly simplistic.
Re: Transformers Masterpiece MP-17+ Prowl Revealed! (1939328)
Posted by zodconvoy on February 16th, 2018 @ 8:19am CST
shajaki wrote:Holy crap! Guess what I just realized is out at the end of this month?!

Where do I order that in the states? I've been camping BBTS and TFSource but nothing form them.
Re: Transformers Masterpiece MP-17+ Prowl Revealed! (1939330)
Posted by steals_your_goats on February 16th, 2018 @ 8:30am CST
Well looks like I'll be trading in my regular mp-17 for this one. I really like the blue windows and the extra colors in the front of the car.
Re: Transformers Masterpiece MP-17+ Prowl Revealed! (1939335)
Posted by whacko on February 16th, 2018 @ 8:58am CST
There is no remolding going on here, at least with regards to the missiles in car mode.

The original MP-17 didn't come with missiles but you could acquire them separately. They look the same as the missiles that come with MP-17+ except they were black instead of silver/grey behind the chrome. The tabs on the side of the missile pods fit into slots molded into the sides of the rear bumper on the original MP-17. All this release does is include the missile pods and change the paint & window colors.
Re: Transformers Masterpiece MP-17+ Prowl Revealed! (1939343)
Posted by shajaki on February 16th, 2018 @ 9:44am CST
zodconvoy wrote:

You may have a rough go of it my friend. This thing is an exclusive in every sense of the word, akin to the BAPE's. He's literally only being sold in Japanese 7-11's in limited quantities. Those selling them online are few and will likely have to buy them from there themselves.

I pre-ordered mine through Anime Export, and apparently Nippon had it too. But both are sold out. I found another store, but do some homework on them first. I've never heard of them before so I have no idea of their quality or legitimacy...
Candy Shop Japan
Re: Transformers Masterpiece MP-17+ Prowl Revealed! (1939349)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on February 16th, 2018 @ 9:57am CST
I would not have guessed that Prowl would be the next Masterpiece to get an "anime" makeover. I have to admit, though, that the blue windows really do "pop." I never noticed how drab the figure looked before in all white, black, and gray, with just hints of color on the break lights and turn signals. Do either of the other Datsun brothers need a do-over too, though? Bluestreak seems perfect as is for an "anime" representation. I think all that they could really do for Smokescreen is omit his "sponsorship" decals. I do sense that an "anime" version of MP-10 Optimus Prime is coming sooner rather than later. Get ready for a blinding white pelvis, folks!
Re: Transformers Masterpiece MP-17+ Prowl Revealed! (1939353)
Posted by Cobotron on February 16th, 2018 @ 10:10am CST
Wolfman Jake wrote: Get ready for a blinding white pelvis, folks!

Nothing we haven't seen before. :lol:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but there is something about that deco I do like.
For me though the good news is maybe I can find a good deal on a 2nd hand OG 17, as I'm sure folks will be unloading theirs in exchange for this version.
Re: Transformers Masterpiece MP-17+ Prowl Revealed! (1939359)
Posted by shajaki on February 16th, 2018 @ 10:26am CST

WHEELJACK!!!

HE"S THE ONE WHO NEEDS THE + TREATMENT
Re: Transformers Masterpiece MP-17+ Prowl Revealed! (1939361)
Posted by shajaki on February 16th, 2018 @ 10:27am CST
I mean.... Prowl looks nice..
Re: Transformers Masterpiece MP-17+ Prowl Revealed! (1939365)
Posted by Cyberpath on February 16th, 2018 @ 10:42am CST
I think MP Prowl already looks great as is; but this is nice, too. It's the same fantastic figure with slightly different colour. Great for anyone who missed out the original and wants to catch up. (oh wait, this is a Takara Mall exclusive.. never mind then.)

Some pix of the original. :)

And a few comparison pix --

The original MP-17 can carry the shoulder cannons in car mode, too. This "Plus" version will likely have a new peg hole for the standard Takara flight stand though.

Re: Transformers Masterpiece MP-17+ Prowl Revealed! (1939372)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on February 16th, 2018 @ 11:08am CST
Cartoon Accurate, eh?

So does he come with this face as an extra? :twisted:

Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers RID Combiner Force Warriors Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #280 - A Roar That Grasps Victory
"A Roar That Grasps Victory"
Posted: Friday, July 16th, 2021

Buy "TRANSFORMERS RESCUE BOTS BLURR, Optimus Prime Racing Trailer variant 2016" on EBAY
Buy "Rescue Bots Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots High Tide Rescue Rig Playset" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Selects Voyager G2 Ramjet - Exclusive" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations RID Prime Cliffjumper Deluxe Figure" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS RESCUE BOTS BLURR, Optimus Prime Racing Trailer Playset Variant" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Original G1 1987 Headmaster Skullcruncher NEAR Complete missing gun" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Selects Voyager G2 Ramjet Exclusive Preorder Arrive7/28" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Highbrow, Headmaster Parts Lot" on EBAY