Transformers: More than Meets The Eye #23 - Casey Coller Cover Art

Sunday, November 17th, 2013 8:38am CST

Categories: Comic Book News, People News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 22,351

IDW artist Casey Coller has just tweeted two images of his cover artwork for next week's More than Meets the Eye #23 (full preview here) - check out the two images below, one with linework and one coloured by Teyowisonte Thomas Deer!

Transformers News: Transformers: More than Meets The Eye #23 - Casey Coller Cover Art

Credit(s): Casey Coller

Re: Transformers: More than Meets The Eye #23 - Casey Coller Cover Art (1530429)
Posted by 1984forever on November 17th, 2013 @ 4:02pm CST
Lay off the black ink, Raiz!
Re: Transformers: More than Meets The Eye #23 - Casey Coller Cover Art (1530498)
Posted by MagnusLabel on November 18th, 2013 @ 4:50am CST
Why good artists draw the covers only and bad artists draw the pages? :BOOM:
Re: Transformers: More than Meets The Eye #23 - Casey Coller Cover Art (1530683)
Posted by Va'al on November 19th, 2013 @ 6:28am CST
Black Metal
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis

THE DEAD UNIVERSE! ORION PAX—the ’bot who was once OPTIMUS PRIME—joins RODIMUS and the crew of the Lost Light in a desperate bid to outmaneuver SHOCKWAVE—by returning to the legendary Dead Universe! Meanwhile, BUMBLEBEE faces down the biggest—literally biggest—threat he’s ever seen on CYBERTRON!

Oh ha-ha

Story

After the setting up and minor reveals in DC#1, it's time to get things going. But first - We get another brief 'Previously' page, which while nice (and bit melodramatic), did not feel as necessary this time round. We'll see if it becomes customary, and if it overstays its welcome in the next issues. The Roll Call page was nice, on the other hand, even if just to convey a sense of the cast, and its major players.

Drama! Excitement! Exclamation marks!

While Bumblebee/Goldbugfire and the Auto/Dinobots stand around on Cybertron not doing much, Orion Pax and his crew now aboard the Lost Light concoct their plan to approach the Dead Universe, to which we've been introduced for so long now it feels like that relative you always dread at family reunions - though Brainstorm seems fascinated by it.

Unsurprisingly, to be fair

It seems as though the dialogue has picked up again, and it may or may not be more of Roberts' words than Barber's this time round. But it does feel welcome. The two writers manage to approach the characters of Orion and Starscream in a good, more nuanced way, giving us a better look at what might be happening below the surface.

..that also works

It is gaining some momentum, and we're developing a much better sense of what is at stake and what may happen, with the focus shifting to other characters than the ones we're all execting (though I worry about falling back onto the same ones eventually) - but I feel it'll work a lot better in TPB format than as a single issue.

Art

Now, the artwork. I'm having some trouble making my mind up about this. I welcome the introduction of new names into the franchise, and it's good to see variation between different styles. But having three artists (Raiz, Rojo and Ramondelli) with very different styles in the same story does not convince me as much. They all do an impressive job, though Rojo's faces can seem a little off in proportion, but I feel as though Raiz and Rojo could've been swapped, with the latter on the Lost Light and the former, darker style, on Cybertron.

Though that is a gloriously dark Starscream

The colours, however, are Perez' usual goodness. They play really well with the sources of light and shadows in the panels, and the two different art-styles, without jarring with Raiz' darker or Rojo's lighter lines. Ramondelli, as usual, colours his own art, and does an equally good job in terms of tone and mood setting. The new letterer, Gilberto Lazcano, is intriguingly light-touched, and I would like to see more from him in the future.

Red meets orange, in dim light

The three styles work by themselves, with some shining moments for each, but I have a hard time deciding whether I like their juxtaposition or not. I have nothing to complain about the colours, and even though I chose not to show any Ramondelli images in the review, his work is good and definitely well suited to the tone of that part of the story. The cover by EJ Su is also excellent!

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

The story seems to be gaining its ground, and seeding some future plot elements nicely. It still reads as a bit jumbled though, even if just because of the sheer scale of the cast and settings for the action to take place. I'm fully confident, though, that by next month, once this and RID have had a chance to settle, we'll be back to the usual, expected greatness.

There's a prophecy with PUNS!

The confusion is not entirely helped out by having so many artists work on different parts; even if it does make clear where we are, the styles don't always work with the tone. The colours, on the other hand, always suit the style. I am curious to see what will happen as this goes on, and if it is to be the new standard to differentiate settings.

. :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: ½ out of :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT:
Re: Transformers: More than Meets The Eye #23 - Casey Coller Cover Art (1530713)
Posted by MagnusLabel on November 19th, 2013 @ 8:43am CST
Va'al wrote:

Black Metal

Art

Are the new names are referring to Raiz, Rojo and Ramondelli? :lol:

Raiz has been penciling TF comics since DW-era.
L.V.O <- everybody knows.
Rojo <- part of MTMTE #12

I prefer Rojo much more than L.V.O and Raiz. His penciling is much cleaner than the latter two and makes the comic readable.
Re: Transformers: More than Meets The Eye #23 - Casey Coller Cover Art (1530758)
Posted by Va'al on November 19th, 2013 @ 11:55am CST
MagnusLabel wrote:
Va'al wrote:

Black Metal

Art

Are the new names are referring to Raiz, Rojo and Ramondelli? :lol:

Raiz has been penciling TF comics since DW-era.
L.V.O <- everybody knows.
Rojo <- part of MTMTE #12

Should've made it clearer: new names to the series. I know Rojo worked on it before, and I interview Raiz myself about his return to Transformers - and of course we all know Livio. :D

Bad phrasing on my part!
Re: Transformers: More than Meets The Eye #23 - Casey Coller Cover Art (1530944)
Posted by ScottyP on November 20th, 2013 @ 9:44am CST
Loved the story and the progression of characters in this book. I think it can be confirmed that this is the one that comes with the Scoop toy.

Still annoyed by the art, but it seems to have its fans, so mmk.
Re: Transformers: More than Meets The Eye #23 - Casey Coller Cover Art (1531049)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on November 20th, 2013 @ 10:15pm CST
I'm glad that we finally get to see Nightbeat again. Always thought he was waisted potential back in the Furman days.

Not really digging Rojo's art, though. Most of the characters he draws look like muppets to me. I mean, don't get me wrong - I love the Muppets. But not as robots.

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Bumblebee Evolution 3-Pack (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers RID Combiner Force Warriors Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Crashbash" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
"No Thanks Given"
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Prime Cyberverse - IRONHIDE - Commander Class -00500" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G1 THRUST Vintage Generations One 1985- Nosecone defect-" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations FOC Fall Cybertron Deluxe Vortex (Bruticus) 100% Comp" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Studio Series Jazz #86, Blurr #86, Gnaw #86, Kup #86 4lot!!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Studio Series Kup, Blurr, Jazz, Wreck-Gar #86" on EBAY
Buy "NEW IN-HAND Transformers Generations Kingdom Ultra Magnus War for Cybertron " on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Bumblebee Cyberverse Adventures Dinobots Unite - ThunderHowl" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Legends LG-15 Nightbird Shadow (not Arcee) MISB" on EBAY