Friday, September 25th, 2020 11:36pm CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 14,591

The day has come. Transformers MP-50 Masterpiece Tigatron is shipping out from Japan and will be with you soon (really soon if you went through Amazon Japan). Of course, some fans already got him and in hand images are popping up online. We have some gorgeous images from Alfes' Twitter along with an image of the box, given to us by Takara. Speaking of Takara, they also provided an instruction video for this rather complex figure.
That video is posted below (it was mirrored on youtube by Cybertron21).

So, wo among you is getting this figure soon? Once you get it, make sure to give us your thought on him on the boards.

Transformers News: Transformers MP-50 Tigatron Is Shipping Out, Here are In hand Photos and an Instruction Video

Credit(s): Takara, Alfes, Cybertron21

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Transformers MP-50 Tigatron Is Shipping Out, Here are In hand Photos and an Instruction Video (2081629)
Posted by Immortal Starscream on September 25th, 2020 @ 11:56pm CDT
got charged today by amazon japan, but hasn't shipped yet. can't wait to get him in hand
Re: Transformers MP-50 Tigatron Is Shipping Out, Here are In hand Photos and an Instruction Video (2081631)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on September 26th, 2020 @ 12:42am CDT
Sometimes it’s like Strongbad is doing the instructions;

Step 1: move this piece a bit

Step 2: move that piece a bit more different

Step 3: put that piece back where it came from but in a different way

Step 4: kick The Cheat.
Re: Transformers MP-50 Tigatron Is Shipping Out, Here are In hand Photos and an Instruction Video (2081632)
Posted by noctorro on September 26th, 2020 @ 1:17am CDT
Damn that figure does look perfect. It looks better than the cgi cartoon model in some photos. I'm not collecting MP anymore. Very happy Kingdom is a thing, I do like Beast Wars a lot but some of the main characters are very hard to get new.

I think this Tigatron will make a lot of fans happy.
Re: Transformers MP-50 Tigatron Is Shipping Out, Here are In hand Photos and an Instruction Video (2081642)
Posted by Emerje on September 26th, 2020 @ 2:11am CDT
Nice. I've been so busy today that I hadn't even checked my email until just now and the first thing on there was a shipping notice from DHL saying Tigatron would be here Tuesday!

Emerje
Re: Transformers MP-50 Tigatron Is Shipping Out, Here are In hand Photos and an Instruction Video (2081648)
Posted by Hellscream9999 on September 26th, 2020 @ 4:32am CDT
god, he looks so good, they seriously nailed it with this one; I can practically hear Blu's voice :x
Re: Transformers MP-50 Tigatron Is Shipping Out, Here are In hand Photos and an Instruction Video (2082076)
Posted by william-james88 on September 28th, 2020 @ 3:27pm CDT
Tigatron just arrived from Amazon Japan. He had shipped Friday so this is pretty lightning quick for a toy arriving from literally the other end of the world.

We have had many in hand images, so you know he looks great.
We had a conversion video so you know he's complex.

But two questions remain: Is he a good toy and, more importantly, is he worth it?

That's what we will explore now in this review, that's all that's left to discuss and it's what matters most.

I will start by addressing something, though his design has callbacks to Cheetor's (since their original toys were the exact same), this is a completely different toy. Then only aspect of the transformation that is similar is that the front legs end up in the back and can connect together in a cross pattern. That is it. Every single other element is completely different offering fans a new transforming experience.

And I'll tell you, this is a better toy than Cheetor. With Cheetor, you had a very sleek build so there was some extra kibble in the rear area. But with Tigatron, the designers really went out of their way to highlight the musculature of tigers, which are the largest felines out there.

That larger mass permits the leg kibble and feet to integrate within the beast mode. It becomes my favourite part of the transformation. While a lot of it is panel-y (or shellformer-y to some), that foot transformation is just one of those wow moments that use simplicity and precision to fully convert an elements while using the some of the same parts. You can see it below.

The Tiger mode does suffer from a lot of panels though, so posing him or inserting the gut gun will have some panels detach while to try to reconnect others. I don't know why they didn't have the thigh panels fasten properly. They end up leaving gaps and it's not like they are shaped this way to fasten more properly in robot mode.

The eyes are articulated and can be green or orange since the spheres that make the eyes are green on one side and orange on the other and they can turn on a 360 axis for you to alter colours. It's too bad that the exposed part of the gut gun is not the part with the tiger stripes, making the beast patter on the gun fake kibble. It is the only fake bit though, since, unlike Cheetor, the Tiger head is used in both modes.

So, back to conversion, while there is a lot of undoing panels and flipping and folding, I found this far more enjoyable than Cheetor or other recent MPs. There are tiny pegs and latches that do require some finesse, and folding certain pieces of Tiger skin was really stressful due to how tight they were, but nothing broke on me. And best of all, I did something rather risky, I didn't use the instructions. While I recommend you follow instructions, the fact that I was able to get from one mode to the next without them meant that it wasn't obtuse. My favourite part was the legs since that is a completely different transformation to any Beast Wars MP to date. Another part I liked was at the very end where it seemed I had finished but the hips still seemed to be facing backwards, since that robot detail was on the back. What usually happens is you reorient the entire hip but the swivel didn't allow for that kind of movement. As it turns out, that specific robot mode detail can rotate around the hip to face any direction you want.

Most joints are super tight, except for the knees. And that is my biggest gripe about the robot mode, his knees suck. They kind of remind me of Siege Megatron's ankle tilt where you felt you were undoing something rather than bending. I have a neo dodging bullets pose below that shows how he looks like with bent knees. Not great. Another aspect that could have been easily dealt with is the arm kibble does not tab into his arms. I guess it makes it slightly easier if you want to pose his hands but that could just as easily be achieved if you had a small peg you could unpeg.

He is back heavy but his heels are extra tight so I have had no problem keeping him up. And speaking of the backside, the muscular frame of the tiger alt mode is really highlighted there. He has these massive calves (probably from holding up so much upper body mass), it's pretty cool that the strength of the animal mode is conveyed in the robot mode. As for the head, while he comes with 4 extra faces, I really did not care to change them. Aside from my memory of him being really frightened once or twice, the face I most associate with Tigatron is a stoic one with his mouth closed. He was always more of the silent type. The light piping is excellent.

So, let's get down to brass tacks with the following questions:

a)Is this a good figure?
b)Do I see where all my money went?
c)Do I regret spending this much on a toy?

Answers:

a)Yes
b)Yes
c)No

Mine cost $160 USD (before shipping and duty fees). That's almost double Optimus Primal. While I can see exactly where all my money went, part of me will always think that these figures are more than they should be. But that's just the name of the MP game at this point. I prefer this toy to almost all other Beast Wars MPs and I feel as satisfied with him as I do with Dinobot or Megatron, both of which were far more costly.

I will tell you this though, he is definitely the type of figure that is way more fun to convert from alt mode to robot than from robot to alt mode. I'm going to bring him back to beast mode now, wish me luck!
Re: Transformers MP-50 Tigatron Is Shipping Out, Here are In hand Photos and an Instruction Video (2082081)
Posted by blackeyedprime on September 28th, 2020 @ 4:24pm CDT

The MP looks really good, kinda makes me wish Cheetor was revsited with a version whatever they want to label it. Tempting to have the MP and the kingdom figure as Snow Stalker depending on how it turns out -and if I had the money.
Re: Transformers MP-50 Tigatron Is Shipping Out, Here are In hand Photos and an Instruction Video (2082083)
Posted by ZeroWolf on September 28th, 2020 @ 4:36pm CDT
He looks fantastic, great review Will.
Re: Transformers MP-50 Tigatron Is Shipping Out, Here are In hand Photos and an Instruction Video (2082084)
Posted by Actar on September 28th, 2020 @ 4:40pm CDT
Let's GO!!!

Full set of images here!

Re: Transformers MP-50 Tigatron Is Shipping Out, Here are In hand Photos and an Instruction Video (2082085)
Posted by william-james88 on September 28th, 2020 @ 4:48pm CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:He looks fantastic, great review Will.

Thanks man!

blackeyedprime wrote:Yay! for not getting broken during transformation (or after by supernatural and plastic chemical means).

yeah there were times where I was sweating it with some tight joints, but in the end it all worked out.

Really happy with this overall.
Re: Transformers MP-50 Tigatron Is Shipping Out, Here are In hand Photos and an Instruction Video (2082095)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on September 28th, 2020 @ 6:59pm CDT
Tigatron looks really nice!

I am glad I didn't order him though, with one potentially coming in Kingdom.
Re: Transformers MP-50 Tigatron Is Shipping Out, Here are In hand Photos and an Instruction Video (2082101)
Posted by Immortal Starscream on September 28th, 2020 @ 7:10pm CDT
mine is arriving thursday, cant wait.
Re: Transformers MP-50 Tigatron Is Shipping Out, Here are In hand Photos and an Instruction Video (2082102)
Posted by Emerje on September 28th, 2020 @ 7:12pm CDT
Man, he looks fantastic! It was worth it for them to not take the easy way out and just copy Cheetor's transformation or even just do a straight repaint like so many suggested they would (I think most of us knew that was never an option, though). Mine comes in Tuesday, can't wait!

Emerje
Re: Transformers MP-50 Tigatron Is Shipping Out, Here are In hand Photos and an Instruction Video (2082123)
Posted by william-james88 on September 28th, 2020 @ 10:39pm CDT
Transformed him back to beast mode, once again without instructions. Everything was fine and it was quite the treat. He holds together even better now since I placed everything in the right way during transformation.
Re: Transformers MP-50 Tigatron Is Shipping Out, Here are In hand Photos and an Instruction Video (2082134)
Posted by butcher31 on September 29th, 2020 @ 1:22am CDT
I do love Transformers that look like they're the same but then transform completely differently. Like MP10 Optimus and MP22 Ultra Magnus, and MP12 Sideswipe and MP39 Sunstreaker.

Very happy they didn't go the easy way with this guy. I'm really looking forward to it. The Beast Wars masterpiece toys are incredible.
Re: Transformers MP-50 Tigatron Is Shipping Out, Here are In hand Photos and an Instruction Video (2082178)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on September 29th, 2020 @ 10:25am CDT
Tigga.jpg

I had a box waiting for me when I got home from work today...
Re: Transformers MP-50 Tigatron Is Shipping Out, Here are In hand Photos and an Instruction Video (2082223)
Posted by transformers_va on September 29th, 2020 @ 2:04pm CDT
I'm seeing words like "incredible" and "fantastic".. really??
This looks terrible! This is panel gapping taken to a whole new level! For close to $200, imo, this is completely unacceptable.
Re: Transformers MP-50 Tigatron Is Shipping Out, Here are In hand Photos and an Instruction Video (2082230)
Posted by ZeroWolf on September 29th, 2020 @ 2:31pm CDT
transformers_va wrote:I'm seeing words like "incredible" and "fantastic".. really??

Do you know of a toy that goes from organic animal to robot with out paneling like that for the same price?
Re: Transformers MP-50 Tigatron Is Shipping Out, Here are In hand Photos and an Instruction Video (2082240)
Posted by transformers_va on September 29th, 2020 @ 2:48pm CDT
Not for that price, no. However, for lower prices, I think Primal and Rhinox were done a lot better.
Re: Transformers MP-50 Tigatron Is Shipping Out, Here are In hand Photos and an Instruction Video (2082249)
Posted by ZeroWolf on September 29th, 2020 @ 3:24pm CDT
Primal is a more valid comparison as Rhinox is only a Voyager class toy with a different design brief. However I think Tigatron had more of his beast mode to hide then the big monkey man.

Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Nightbeat" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Wheeljack" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #261 - Ratchets, Tigers and Planes
"Ratchets, Tigers and Planes"
Posted: Sunday, October 11th, 2020

Buy "Transformers Dark of the Moon Leadfoot DOTM Cyberverse MOSC" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Dark of the Moon Powerglide Cyberverse DOTM" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Dark Of The Moon Cyberverse Blackout Dotm Scorponok" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Beast Machines Deluxe Maximal Blackarachnia MOSC New." on EBAY
Buy "Hallmark Itty Bitty Bittys MEGATRON Hasbro Transformers new with tag Plush nwt" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime Cyberverse Ultra Magnus new sealed mosc commander" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Transformers Legends LG-17 Blackarachnia Complete" on EBAY