Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking Due in September

Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking Due in September

Friday, March 30th, 2018 3:29am CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 13,803

Via regular news source Loopaza Mega Store on Facebook, we have a date confirmed for a number of Japanese releases in the Transformers Power of the Primes toyline - virtually identical to their Hasbro counterparts as of this line, along with Studio Series - including the Titan class set for the year 2018: Predaking.

Currently listed for September at a recommended price of 25000 Yen (235 USD at the time of writing), expect pre-orders to appear soon on our site sponsor pages, and perhaps consider the alternative to a potential distribution issue with the closure of Toys R Us. Check out the other items from the line also arriving in September below, and let us know what you think!

[Toys News]

Takaratomy Transformers

We received the latest schedule of the Takaratomy side PP release. On September, that will be Solus Prime, Battleslash, Roadtrap and the long waiting Set Predaking!

Transformers News: Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking Due in September

Credit(s): Loopaza

Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking Due in September (1949206)
Posted by Emerje on March 30th, 2018 @ 3:53am CDT
I actually thought the Japanese release would be later since the leak had the Hasbro release listed for "fall". This might be the one release from the line that comes out at the same time for both companies.

Emerje
Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking Due in September (1949214)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on March 30th, 2018 @ 5:38am CDT
Hm, nope i still don't like it much. I do prefer it to Devatstaor only because I've never actually liked Devastator at all. Always found it to be an ugly blocky mess of green and purple with a dorky head. Predaking's general design has always looked far cooler. But this set just doesn't do it justice. There are aspects of the combined form that almost get away with things but it still just looks really off and yeah the individuals barely look any better than the originals except for obvious articulation improvements. Preds was the only combiner team and only PotP era toy I really had any interest in but since the first pics appeared it's just been a huge disappointment. The third party ones may have their own lil issues but they blow this one away.
Oh well.

one of my fave images of the team.
Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking Due in September (1949228)
Posted by SpikeyTigertron on March 30th, 2018 @ 7:36am CDT
Carnivius_Prime wrote:There are aspects of the combined form that almost get away with things but it still just looks really off and yeah the individuals barely look any better than the originals except for obvious articulation improvements. Preds was the only combiner team and only PotP era toy I really had any interest in but since the first pics appeared it's just been a huge disappointment. The third party ones may have their own lil issues but they blow this one away.

What were you expecting? It's been shone that the transformation is more involved that the originals, I feel it really evokes the spirit of the original design brought forward with the "trilogies" aesthetic choices. A lot of folks seem to want Razorclaw as a leader... but I just don't see it improving anything.

I could see the arguments made wanting to *shrink* Predaking and Devastator to deluxe scale to keep them "relatively' in line with the rest of the combiners.... but they're iconic "flagship" combiners. I don't think it hurts to have them be bigger. Think of them as "masterpiece" scale versions (with a reasonable price point).
Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking Due in September (1949229)
Posted by SpikeyTigertron on March 30th, 2018 @ 7:39am CDT
william-james88 wrote:
Flashwave wrote:The posability issues are a real bummer, I agree. But whst Devvy does is incorporate hos limb parts better. His thigh and calf are an unfurled Long Haul Leg and part of Scrapper and Mixmaster, and the forearms of Bonecrusher and Scavenger are actually part of them, whereas Tantrum and Headstrong have thighs just hanging off their backs like giant ponytails. It doesnt bother ME, but Devy definately hid his parts better. It remains to be seen though how well Predaking holds together.

Exellent point about the intergrated combiner kibble, I had forgeotten about that on Devy. Yup, that was pretty good and very well done, and superior to Predaking's components here. So he wins on that point.

I am pretty sue he will hold very well together. Hasbro has proven to be the masters for that, along with stability. We are way past RID Landfill.

I would still argue Long Haul took a heck of a hit for "integrated combination" In that regard I think Tantrum and Headstrong wear it better.
Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking Due in September (1949245)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on March 30th, 2018 @ 10:28am CDT
SpikeyTigertron wrote:
william-james88 wrote:

Indeed. Tantrum and Headstrong just got big ponytails. Poor Long Haul probably got Type II Diabetes.
Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking Due in September (1949252)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on March 30th, 2018 @ 11:50am CDT
SpikeyTigertron wrote:

To look more dynamic and stylish rather than still resembling the oudated brick look of the original toys? Hell some of them even look worse. Rampage's beast mode for example actually looks more blocky in the new toy than the original G1 toy which at least had some nice curves to it. The new one looks awful.
Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking Due in September (1949536)
Posted by Rated X on March 31st, 2018 @ 11:07am CDT
Wolfman Jake wrote:
SpikeyTigertron wrote:
william-james88 wrote:

You kidding right?

Those are tumors hanging off their backs. Parts integration has been the biggest failure of non-G1 combiners. Hasbro has this fetish of forcing it down our throats no matter how much it sacrafices the individual bots. I say if the kids lose the combiner parts, screw em. Let them learn to take better care of their toys. I kept all my G1 guns and parts in a shoe box as a kid and still have 99% percent of them to this day. End parts integration, plain and simple.
Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking Due in September (1949741)
Posted by Emerje on April 1st, 2018 @ 1:40am CDT

Emerje
Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking Due in September (1949750)
Posted by ZeroWolf on April 1st, 2018 @ 2:14am CDT
Emerje wrote:Wasn't it BECAUSE of collectors complaining that they've been so set on parts integration? :-?

Emerje

That was my recollection but we each have our likes and dislikes with collecting. I guess for some accuracy trumps convenience.
Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking Due in September (1949784)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on April 1st, 2018 @ 7:23am CDT
Personally, I'm all for parts integration. The more the better. Yes, it often come at the price of a less accurate bot, but I want to TRANSFORM my transformers, not build a model kit. That's why I really the Combiner Wars concept. Sure, the hands and feet partsform, but they do also serve as weapons and allow for the "scramble city" versatility. Compared to G1, there is no chest plates, no helmets, no special parts just to connect limbs.

Heck, compared to CW, the original G1 Devastator was complete GARBAGE and was as stable as a house of cards. That's why I got rid of it. As for G1 Predaking, it's unfortunate that the helmet and the fists can't be used for the other modes, but those are the only 3 pieces. The rest is just beautifully designed. However, the torso of the combined mode is way too tiny, giving him a somewhat derpy look. So even though the beast modes of the PotP Predaking suffer a bit, it's a sacrifice I can accept for this kick ass, way superior combined mode.
Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking Due in September (1950117)
Posted by o.supreme on April 2nd, 2018 @ 9:22am CDT
Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking Due in September (1950129)
Posted by Emerje on April 2nd, 2018 @ 9:49am CDT
o.supreme wrote:So...since all TRU stores are closing in the U.S. ...Is there any chance this toy is sold at any B&M, or does it appear at this point, it will be online only?

Online only for now, unless Hasbro is able to convince another major retailer to take him. I have heard some unexpected stores like J.C.Penney and Party City will be adding or increasing toy sections to make up for the loss of TRU so anything can happen.

Emerje
Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking Due in September (1950132)
Posted by -Soundwave- on April 2nd, 2018 @ 9:59am CDT
Emerje wrote:

Emerje

Let's hope so, most toy sections are small if they have them at all. (At least where I am)
Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking Due in September (1950134)
Posted by william-james88 on April 2nd, 2018 @ 10:05am CDT

Online onlyand I don't think that will make a lick of difference. Those who want it, will get it one way or another.
Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking Due in September (1952274)
Posted by CrashDummy on April 11th, 2018 @ 7:32pm CDT
Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking Due in September (1952285)
Posted by william-james88 on April 11th, 2018 @ 9:00pm CDT
CrashDummy wrote:The Predacons look awesome in every configuration. Mine would need a third party sword and hands though. Anyone that thinks those Don't look good and are too blocky must've been born in the nineties.

'88
Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking Due in September (1952302)
Posted by Emerje on April 11th, 2018 @ 11:02pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:

'88

'86 ;)

Personally I don't have any real issues with the animal modes not being full of articulation. Alpha Trion's lion mode only had any (limited) articulation at all because of his transformation. When was the last time we even had transforming quadrupeds that didn't share its limbs between bot and beast mode and still had fully articulated beast limbs? I can't think of any, it just isn't a thing. There's nothing unusual about the Predacon beast modes being bricks.

Emerje
Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking Due in September (1952315)
Posted by Qwan on April 12th, 2018 @ 1:29am CDT
Emerje wrote:
william-james88 wrote:

'88

'86 ;)

Emerje

'99, you got me, but this baby boy knows what he wants out of a toy. I'm not so bothered by their blockiness as I am by the fact that their blockiness hasn't really achieved anything from a design perspective. The advantage of blockiness should be that it's easier to split up and integrate parts in an unobtrusive way - that's part of why shellformers are way less common in mainline Generations stuff than they are in Movie toys, for example - but these guys still just end up with huge chunks hanging off them that clearly aren't "meant" to be there. If Predaking's thighs became something I'd be more alright with them, but they heckin' don't - they just hang around in both robot and beast modes, begging you to pretend like they aren't there.

Long story short, personally I don't mind brickiness or blockiness too much as long as it results in a good figure. If a toy is blocky and also I hate it, that doesn't mean I hate it cause it's blocky, but it also doesn't change the fact that I don't like it. But I mean what do I know, I was born in the nineties. Image
Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking Due in September (1952379)
Posted by TF-fan kev777 on April 12th, 2018 @ 11:17am CDT
Qwan wrote:Long story short, personally I don't mind brickiness or blockiness too much as long as it results in a good figure. If a toy is blocky and also I hate it, that doesn't mean I hate it cause it's blocky, but it also doesn't change the fact that I don't like it. But I mean what do I know, I was born in the nineties.

(old man voice) Well crap, '76 here so I have no idea where I fit in with all you young'uns. :-D
But Qwan, I think you've summed up my thoughts on Predaking and blockiness in general. Except I don't hate the design, I'm just kind of meh. I'll still get it, but this will probably be the first Titan that I show some restraint and wait for the deals around Christmas. (Really wising I would have done that for Fort Max.)
Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking Due in September (1952382)
Posted by o.supreme on April 12th, 2018 @ 11:59am CDT
TF-fan kev777 wrote: I'll still get it, but this will probably be the first Titan that I show some restraint and wait for the deals around Christmas. (Really wising I would have done that for Fort Max.)

High Five's TF-fan kev777 (I'm a fellow 76 er) ;)

See this is where I have an internal struggle. I've seen first hand almost every Titan be readily available (online at least) years after its release. But since I missed out on the first one (Metroplex). I've feared each one after that will have a lower production run. Also there's the issue of B&M vs online. I see way fewer of each successive Titan at actual B&M, and with the closure of TRU, I guess that makes Predaking pretty much an online exclusive. I just wish they'd come out and say it. Sets like CW Liokaiser and TR Siege on Cybertron were promoted as such form the very start, so I knew I didn't have to go searching high and low for them. however with Liokaiser I was able to wait, and get a good price. With the "Siege" set, its run was so limited, if I hadn't jumped on it immediately, there would be no way I would ever have got one.

I'm not sure when exactly T30 Metroplex stopped being available online. I started searching in mid-2015, and wasn't able to find one online, so it must have been less than 2 years after the figures release. I would like to get :TAKARATOMY: Legends re-release, but even $260 is a little much for me right now. As for the others...

CW Devastator (2015) was readily available (at least on BBTS) until about 6 months ago, the last few of course sold for more than the $150 retail price, but I was able to get the (better IMHO) UW version for about $180 on eBay about a year ago.

2016 Fort Max & 2017 Tryp are still readily available (again looking at BBTS) for their standard $150 retail, some other sites however are even discounting them. Still I believe a combination of Trypticon being more desirable, and Hasbro producing way less of him has led to there being less quantities. meaning, overall I believe in the long run, you'll see Trypticon disappear overall before Fort Max does.

So what about Predaking....well we know TRU wont be carrying it. I very much want this set, and have no issues with it. The only problem is the price. TBT, I got my Titans from TRU and put them on layaway, so I could pay them off slowly over time. As far as I know, nobody offers layaway online, for obvious reasons. So not usually ever having $150 to throw down on a toy, will force me to wait, and if this things happens to sell out quick, and there are no holiday sales, I am going to be one ticked off fan. But such is life....an $80 Predaking around the end of the year would be welcome news indeed, but I guess we'll see.

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Superion Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #278 - The Return of Rodimus Prime
"The Return of Rodimus Prime"
Posted: Sunday, June 13th, 2021

Buy "Takara Tomy TRANSFORMERS LEGENDS Head Master BRAINSTORM Action Figure MIB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Legends LG39 Brainstorm Takara Tomy Japan" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Legends LG10 Arcee Takara Tomy Japan" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Angry Birds Gray Silver Rare Energon Lockdown Pig Telepods Works" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Collectors Club Botcon TFCC 2016 Membership Figure Ramjet" on EBAY
Buy "transformers power of the primes elita-1" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Kingdom: War For Cybertron Trilogy - Megatron (Beast) WFC-K10" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Legends series LG10 Arcee Figure Japan Import" on EBAY