Transformers Prime Q&A: Arcee Voice Actress Sumalee Montano

Transformers Prime Q&A: Arcee Voice Actress Sumalee Montano

Wednesday, November 23rd, 2011 7:55am CST

Categories: Cartoon News, People News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 47,168

The Transformers facebook page has posted a brief Q&A with Transformers Prime's Sumalee Montano, the voice of Arcee. The session has been mirrored below for those of you without facebook access.

Chalrie Levitz asks: What was your favorite Arcee episode in season 1 and why?

Sumalee Montano: For me it’s a tie between Predatory and Crisscross. I love Crisscross because of the amazing fight and scenes between Starscream and Arcee. Both characters are at their utter best…and worst!!!

Predatory is also a favorite of mine because of the style and tone of the episode. It’s strikingly different from the others episodes, and it’s a huge turning point in Arcee’s character development. We meet her nemesis, Airachnid, and gain insight into Arcee’s vulnerabilities: her guilt over her partners’ deaths, losing those she cares about (Jack), and struggling with a desire for revenge (against Airachnid). Those are some pretty hefty character traits that, as an actor, I really enjoyed delving into.

Ryan Mulligan asks: How was it taking part in a show with such classic voice actors?

Sumalee Montano: Mind-blowingly awesome! I’m a big believer in surrounding yourself with people who inspire you. And not only is this cast insanely talented, but everyone is so nice, generous, and giving – an absolute joy to be around! It truly feels like a family, and I’m convinced I’m the luckiest girl in the world to be a part of it. Plus, we laugh together sooooo much. It’s an incredible blessing and an honor.

Amanda Butt asks: How have you adapted your approach to Arcee's voice over time? When watching the early episodes it sounds like you played a more feminine angle, whereas by later episodes she sounds more dry and sarcastic. Was that intentional? And if so, what about her character is it you respond to and use to shape her voice?

Sumalee Montano: That wasn’t intentional, but I definitely appreciate your attention to detail. When we started, I focused on Arcee’s toughness, which vocally came from a certain posture and physical stance that I used (and still use) in our recording sessions. I chose a very specific way to stand in relationship to the mic/mic stand that makes me feel my strongest and most powerful. As time went on, I was able to “fill in” my physical stance with Arcee’s history and life experiences. Living through those things in my mind affects and shapes the voice.

Abby Ryan Cluster asks: As a female VO artist, how fun/hard/interesting do you find working in what some think is a "boys’ club?"

Sumalee Montano: Being an actor is interesting, fun, and continually challenging. I love my job! I don’t really think about it as being a boys’ club. Although that kind of thinking can push you to work even harder, which can be a good thing. But I basically see myself as a “guy’s girl,” so I always appreciate an opportunity to hang with the guys. :)

Jordan Hobbins asks: Are you planning on buying the toys?

Sumalee Montano: YES! All the toys! They’ll be great replicas of these hopefully indelible characters. There’s also a fun coincidence related to the new Arcee toy. I was talking to a friend on the East Coast who I hadn’t spoken with for years. I didn’t know she was part of the team working on Arcee’s toy packaging, and she didn’t know that I was the voice of Arcee. When I told her, she exclaimed, “Hey, I just worked on Acree’s toy earlier today!”

I love it when you discover how Transformers touches so many people’s lives and brings us together.

Credit(s): Transformres facebook page

This article was last modified on Wednesday, November 23rd, 2011 7:57am CST

Re: Transformers Prime Q&A: Arcee Voice Actress Sumalee Montano (1315863)
Posted by jequin on November 23rd, 2011 @ 8:26am CST
how come they didnt ask her if she previously knew it and what she thought of the old stuff? or if she has any of the old stuff?
Re: Transformers Prime Q&A: Arcee Voice Actress Sumalee Montano (1315869)
Posted by First-Aid on November 23rd, 2011 @ 8:41am CST
Damn, she's hot... :shock:
Re: Transformers Prime Q&A: Arcee Voice Actress Sumalee Montano (1315880)
Posted by Grimlock1979 on November 23rd, 2011 @ 9:15am CST
Oh my Vector Sigma! =P~

This beauty mama is the erotic voice behind Arcee? Me Grimlock are in LOVE now! Me want to be her friend, her husband, her slave... whatever, yes mistress, indeed! <3

Or like we say on new Dinobot Island also known as germany: Das ist eine heiße Mama! yummy yummy :lol:
Re: Transformers Prime Q&A: Arcee Voice Actress Sumalee Montano (1315883)
Posted by First-Aid on November 23rd, 2011 @ 9:23am CST
Interestingly enough, I looked at her IMDB after reading the article and noticed that she has Transformers: Fall of Cybertron listed on her credits...yes, as Arcee. A further link tying the WFC/FOC continuity to TF Prime? Or a sign that we will get familiar TF Prime characters in FOC? Skyquake maybe? WHeeljack? Bulkhead? Airachnid? WOuld love to see what they could do to bulk up Bulkhead consideirng what they've done to Optimus.
Re: Transformers Prime Q&A: Arcee Voice Actress Sumalee Montano (1315889)
Posted by Rated X on November 23rd, 2011 @ 9:47am CST
Damn she's fine !!! Forget Peter Culun, invite her to Botcon 2012 !!!
Re: Transformers Prime Q&A: Arcee Voice Actress Sumalee Montano (1315905)
Posted by rpetras on November 23rd, 2011 @ 10:40am CST
Re: Transformers Prime Q&A: Arcee Voice Actress Sumalee Montano (1315908)
Posted by First-Aid on November 23rd, 2011 @ 10:52am CST
rpetras wrote:If they had a Botcon Panel with her and Tara Strong, you'd have hundreds of salivating fanboys killing each other to get in.

THey'd be hitting each other with their MP Convoys...and wouldn't care. Which makes me wonder...

who is the hottest Transformers female voice actor? :-?
Re: Transformers Prime Q&A: Arcee Voice Actress Sumalee Montano (1315930)
Posted by Sabrblade on November 23rd, 2011 @ 12:05pm CST
First-Aid wrote:Interestingly enough, I looked at her IMDB after reading the article and noticed that she has Transformers: Fall of Cybertron listed on her credits...yes, as Arcee.
Which is puzzling considering how we were just told by Matt Tieger that there are no fembots (specifically Arcee) in FoC. He said that they wanted to get Arcee in there, but could not.

Then again, this could show once again how unreliable IMDB is. I'm not saying she's not in FoC (that much we know to be possibly true), but that her voicing Arcee in FoC seems highly unlikely.

First-Aid wrote:A further link tying the WFC/FOC continuity to TF Prime? Or a sign that we will get familiar TF Prime characters in FOC? Skyquake maybe? WHeeljack? Bulkhead? Airachnid? WOuld love to see what they could do to bulk up Bulkhead consideirng what they've done to Optimus.
Arcee was already in WFC.
Re: Transformers Prime Q&A: Arcee Voice Actress Sumalee Montano (1316040)
Posted by crazyjeffy on November 23rd, 2011 @ 5:48pm CST
There was a fight between Arcee and Starscream in Crisscross? Methinks thats a mistake
Re: Transformers Prime Q&A: Arcee Voice Actress Sumalee Montano (1316079)
Posted by SirSoundwaveIV on November 23rd, 2011 @ 8:02pm CST
She's gorgeous, man. Not to mention a great voice actor for a great character. Keep up the good work!
Re: Transformers Prime Q&A: Arcee Voice Actress Sumalee Montano (1316199)
Posted by noctorro on November 24th, 2011 @ 6:44am CST

Great voice actress, hope she'll play Arcee in Fall Of Cybertron.

And yes, she's beautiful, omg.
Re: Transformers Prime Q&A: Arcee Voice Actress Sumalee Montano (1316270)
Posted by Sabrblade on November 24th, 2011 @ 11:41am CST
noctorro wrote:It's always weird to see a face where the voice comes from. I really thought she'd be white. And I think her War For Cybertron Arcee voice sounds a lot like G1 Arcee (I could be mistaken, haven't seen the series in over a year).
She didn't play WFC Arcee. That was Kari Wahlgren.

noctorro wrote:Great voice actress, hope she'll play Arcee in Fall Of Cybertron.
Arcee is not in Fall of Cybertron. No fembot is.
Re: Transformers Prime Q&A: Arcee Voice Actress Sumalee Montano (1325180)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 19th, 2011 @ 10:42pm CST
Okay, things are making sense now. Turns out Ben Yee's source on Sumalee Montano being in Fall of Cybertron was the ever-unreliable IMDB. All's well now. :roll:
Re: Transformers Prime Q&A: Arcee Voice Actress Sumalee Montano (1325223)
Posted by cotss2012 on December 20th, 2011 @ 2:52am CST
First-Aid wrote:who is the hottest Transformers female voice actor?

Sabrblade wrote:Kari Wahlgren.

Do I win thread?
Re: Transformers Prime Q&A: Arcee Voice Actress Sumalee Montano (1325264)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 20th, 2011 @ 8:16am CST
cotss2012 wrote:
First-Aid wrote:who is the hottest Transformers female voice actor?

Sabrblade wrote:Kari Wahlgren.
Stop twisting my words. I didn't say her name in response to that question. I said her name to say who voiced Arcee in War for Cybertron.
Re: Transformers Prime Q&A: Arcee Voice Actress Sumalee Montano (1325269)
Posted by First-Aid on December 20th, 2011 @ 8:37am CST
Sabrblade wrote:
cotss2012 wrote:
First-Aid wrote:who is the hottest Transformers female voice actor?

Sabrblade wrote:Kari Wahlgren.

Can't argue with the results....yowza.
Re: Transformers Prime Q&A: Arcee Voice Actress Sumalee Montano (1325405)
Posted by cotss2012 on December 20th, 2011 @ 3:28pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:I didn't say her name in response to that question.

I know. That was the whole point. I was taking a question and an unrelated statement and demonstrating that the latter would be a perfect answer to the former, despite not being intended as such.

Are you an Aspie by any chance? Serious question, not an insult.
Re: Transformers Prime Q&A: Arcee Voice Actress Sumalee Montano (1325487)
Posted by Blurrz on December 20th, 2011 @ 10:55pm CST
Cotss2012, Sabrblade.

I'm rocking the warn-hammer if for one more time, you guys start an argument in a thread deviating from the main topic at hand. Please keep it civil.
Re: Transformers Prime Q&A: Arcee Voice Actress Sumalee Montano (1325526)
Posted by cotss2012 on December 21st, 2011 @ 4:31am CST
Hey, I'm just saying Kari > Sumalee on the hotness scale.
Re: Transformers Prime Q&A: Arcee Voice Actress Sumalee Montano (1325597)
Posted by First-Aid on December 21st, 2011 @ 9:25am CST
cotss2012 wrote:Hey, I'm just saying Kari > Sumalee on the hotness scale.

It's a tough choice...I could make a better decision if I had access to both of them in person for a couple days... :twisted:

Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Sky Shadow and  Ominus" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #270 - An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster
"An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster"
Posted: Sunday, February 14th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Quillfire Complete 1 One Step Changers RID 2015" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Robots in Disguise Grimlock (Sealed) Deluxe Class" on EBAY
Buy "transformers the movie toys, bumblebee, starscream, jazz, ironhide, barricade" on EBAY
Buy "Jada Toys Transformers Bumblebee 2016 Chevy Camaro Diecast Car" on EBAY
Buy "G2 Superion Boxed Set | Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Legends Shockwave | Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Hasbro Class" on EBAY
Buy "Voyager Motormaster | Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "JETFIRE Transformers Generations War for Cybertron Siege Commander Class" on EBAY